Yellow | Really WHY can't we make money ?

Interesting question. I know far too many shippers who only use union carriers when they are cheap. Thus that drives YRC pricing.
Hard to turn a profit when you are priced as the low cost carrier.
Plus a union workforce is never a good thing when you competitors have flexibility. Like is common today.
YRC is a rusty old carrier trying to compete in a new world. It will never work.
Just wait until the pension system need funding, the full contribution will crush the company...
Sad but true...

PHP:

Like I said, you don't know the truth, you believed the bull crap, Coming out Of Yellow corp. I know it to be fact because I was there at the AGO when the transaction Occurred. I also know that I profited nicely from the two for one deal. If you closely examine the records today, Roadway Express was and is the surviving entity. the DOT numbers on the trucks, the original Securities and Exchange Commission filings and rulings all say that Roadway Express was the surviving entity. go do your homework and get back to me I'll be in the office all day. Glad you think its funny, but 34,000 good men and women lost their jobs to this parasite corporation. Laugh at that knucklehead.

Sure you were there...maybe changing the roll in the bathroom or giving a lap dance! Ha ha ha, you worthless idiot, if you are indeed in mgt at all, you are a perfect example of whats wrong with it.roaway this, yellow that, your as dumb as the cat in the hat! $$$

Guys, I think that we've all heard enough. Here's reality: Yellow has always had a large debt load. Roadway did too until Caliber spun them off debt-free. That's a darn good position to be in, and Big R capitalized on it. They had to!! Roadway's IT system is garbage. Their rolling stock inventory had a disproportionate amount of rusted junk. Their operating strata was questionable at best, and their marketing was crappy. Many of their terminal buildings were hovels. But, they were debt-free.
Yellow had a top-notch IT system, generally good equipment, good facilities for the most part, good marketing, good service and generally very productive employees. However, they were plauged by arrogance in the General Office, unacceptable purchasing actions by the Board and Bill "I never saw a company I wouldn't over-pay for" Zollars, and the huge debt load that accompanied that.
So, when the doo-doo hit the fan in 2008, what they SHOULD have done was named the merged company "Yellow Roadway", not YRC that nobody knew who they were. They should have taken the best attributes of both companies; instead, they took the worst of both. They made catastrophic business decisions that we are all paying for today. "They" are mostly all gone, either fired or have run away.
Today, our service is deplorable. We are just slightly larger than ONE of the former companies. When we begrudgingly voted to "save our company" in 2009, that was a farce. Nearly half of the jobs we were "saving" have disappeared. Our fleet is very aged, which has caused our safety and vehicle maintenance statistics to climb out of control. We still are plauged by arrogance at the General Office, but now it's coupled with bad morale in the field. Many of our lower and middle managers are incompetent, but the company can't get any better because they don't pay well enough. Many of our senior managers are clue-less, but they have the arrogance to offset that. Many of our experienced front-liners are leaving, and we can't get enough replacements because the pay isn't good enough to atttract them.
To add to our woes, we have the arrogant slobs in the General Office regularly stirring up trouble, further eroding morale. Have you already gotten fan mail for neglecting to put your trailer number on a BOL, or the time on a D/R? In the time it took them to write that letter, they could have corrected at least ten such oversights, and called you in to verbally chew on you the next day.
I could go on and on, but I don't want all of you to fall down from exhaustion before finishing your read on this.
Yellow always was a pos parasite "carrier". I will agree with you on the service. Yesterday I unloaded some freight that damaged as per usual AND it took 6 days to get from San Antonio to Milwaukee. You can get a bicycle courier to do it quicker. The only reason to ship yrcf is the sky high discounts and then pray it gets there this month and in one piece

Uhhhh . . . because YRC spends like drunken sailors on bonuses,freight dimensions, and useless change of operations when they should be focusing on trucking 101.
signed,
~~Captain Obvious~~
costs are shifted to yrc. we deliver new penn freight, but get no pay,we absorb the expense.

I'm at upsf and I see the Dr's alot of times and we do 80% discount too. I used to work in Beaumont TX and a customer stop using yall altogether cause they ship some freight to Houston which is 88 miles away and it took 5 days.

Yellow always was a pos parasite "carrier". I will agree with you on the service. Yesterday I unloaded some freight that damaged as per usual AND it took 6 days to get from San Antonio to Milwaukee. You can get a bicycle courier to do it quicker. The only reason to ship yrcf is the sky high discounts and then pray it gets there this month and in one piece
Isn't it amazing though? When the "ties" come into town, they tell us how all of the other terminals are outshining us. I'm convinced that they make up all new "statistics" for every terminal that they visit. I've seen lots of examples of what we're both saying. I just had a shipment that is rated for four service days, which worked out to six calendar days because of a weekend. It didn't leave the origin EOL for three and a half days, then sat at the DC for another three and a half days. It was due at destination the day before it left the first DC, with three days of travel between there and the destination terminal. It delivered six calendar days late. Ridiculous!! The "ties" can't blame that on the workers; it was totally their incompetence in the dispatch offices.
But, as I've said before, if it's going to get fixed it will be because of us, NOT the management. So take the "bull by the horns" and roll up your sleeves; we've got a big mess to straighten out.

Isn't it amazing though? When the "ties" come into town, they tell us how all of the other terminals are outshining us. I'm convinced that they make up all new "statistics" for every terminal that they visit. I've seen lots of examples of what we're both saying. I just had a shipment that is rated for four service days, which worked out to six calendar days because of a weekend. It didn't leave the origin EOL for three and a half days, then sat at the DC for another three and a half days. It was due at destination the day before it left the first DC, with three days of travel between there and the destination terminal. It delivered six calendar days late. Ridiculous!! The "ties" can't blame that on the workers; it was totally their incompetence in the dispatch offices.
But, as I've said before, if it's going to get fixed it will be because of us, NOT the management. So take the "bull by the horns" and roll up your sleeves; we've got a big mess to straighten out.

We can do our level best to maximize freight on each trailer.

We can do our level best to load trailers safely and without damage.

We can do our level best to deliver each shipment that is on our 'route.'

We can do our level best to make each and every pick-up.

We cannot improve dispatching nor control how that freight is moved through the system as a result of managerial/operational decisions.

We cannot improve transit times when poor equipment handcuffs our ability to do so.

We can only control those things that are within our reach. It is imperative that we do that, regardless of the obstacles placed in our way resulting from poor decisions by those that 'lead' us.

This is not meant to be a 'rah-rah' speech, just a reality check.

It's Friday, and I am on a weeks vacation. Hmmmmm.....

We can do our level best to maximize freight on each trailer.

We can do our level best to load trailers safely and without damage.

We can do our level best to deliver each shipment that is on our 'route.'

We can do our level best to make each and every pick-up.

We cannot improve dispatching nor control how that freight is moved through the system as a result of managerial/operational decisions.

We cannot improve transit times when poor equipment handcuffs our ability to do so.

We can only control those things that are within our reach. It is imperative that we do that, regardless of the obstacles placed in our way resulting from poor decisions by those that 'lead' us.

This is not meant to be a 'rah-rah' speech, just a reality check.

It's Friday, and I am on a weeks vacation. Hmmmmm.....
I agree with most of what you have written. I did say MOST! We can lean on the poor decision makers at every opportunity. This tells them: a0 that we're watching; and b) they had best straighten up their act. They are quite willing to jump in our knickers any chance they can find; it seems that turnabout is clearly called for here

Yrc will not show an operating ratio below 100 even if they do make money. They will never want to give back an any of the concessions they got. They never want to pay anymore into the pension plan than they have to. If they do have a good year any profit will be spent on equipment (which they do need) or management bonuses (that they don`t need) or new terminals or programs or hire more supervisors, what ever it takes to eat up any profit so it doesn`t show at the end of the year. This is a numbers game and Welch and company are very good at it. And if by chance they lose more than expected, you can count on another round of concession requests.

And they can count on ANOTHER NO from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the bank is making plenty of $$$ off this pos. that and the top brass get their big bonu$! Whats the problem? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Interesting question. I know far too many shippers who only use union carriers when they are cheap. Thus that drives YRC pricing.
Hard to turn a profit when you are priced as the low cost carrier.
Plus a union workforce is never a good thing when you competitors have flexibility. Like is common today.
YRC is a rusty old carrier trying to compete in a new world. It will never work.
Just wait until the pension system need funding, the full contribution will crush the company...
Sad but true...

By flexibility, do you mean, no 8 hr. guarantee for P&D and Dock workers? No overtime for same? Cancelling Road Driver's, then using Purchased Transportation? Not matching 1% on 401k? No Holidays, sick days or vacation days. Being fired because you drifted over the center line or right shoulder and a camera took a picture, or you had to brake hard, 'cause some 4 wheeler cut across your hood to exit, and your camera went off? Or is it, 12 bills an hr., run that fork lift 20 mph and load that pup in 20 min. Maybe it means run down the road with 1/2 your lights missing and/or run your 4-ways 600 mi. Etc. Could you be more specific! Thanks. :shift:

it could mean casuals working 8-10 hour shifts, to destroy and put their stuff in the wrong place. casuals get more ot than regulars, I want to join yrcs union, get rid of these teamsters.
casual hours are either blessed by local, or intentionally unseen-denied, depending on when you talk to local

we already have no pension, a 9.75 annual multiplier, a refusal to respond to written requests as to how the pension money is allocated.