Yellow | Really WHY can't we make money ?

Again....if you do 85% of the work for 85% of the pay, there is no improvement. If you do 100% of the work for 85% of the pay and discount the heck out of the freight you aren't improving your labor cost:revenue ratio.

Pretty simple in theory. Trying to find a balance between profitable freight filling the trucks and happy&productive employees that aren't costing you too much is the hard part.
I've read some seriously stupid posts on this thread. Yours however, is spot-on. That is the problem. When we took it [you know where], the competitors jammed it up their peoples' backsides too. All that accomplished was to reduce the pay for the entire industry. Our market share hasn't gone up as a result.
As for the people in the Overland Park castle, you're right again. They can't tell the truth even if their lives depended on it. They won't listen to the people who actually do this job; they are far too arrogant to admit that they don't have a clue. So........we continue to have poor decisions, bad morale, worn out equipment, angry customers who then leave, etc. etc.
Some of us have really tried to help this company, but the management blows smoke up our trouser seats.

Ok after seeing the 1st Qrt numbers, with the Regional O.R. of 98.3% and YRC O.R. 104.3% , and with 3 of the 4 companies making money and still can't show a profit ??? so WHAT is WRONG with YRC why they can't make money ?? or is it that they never want to show a profit to keep us voting yes ?? and so goes the numbers game !!! plus kinda thinking they should get another BONUS for the bad 1st Qrt numbers too !!! ********

Uhhhh . . . because YRC spends like drunken sailors on bonuses,freight dimensions, and useless change of operations when they should be focusing on trucking 101.
signed,
~~Captain Obvious~~

I've read some seriously stupid posts on this thread. Yours however, is spot-on. That is the problem. When we took it [you know where], the competitors jammed it up their peoples' backsides too. All that accomplished was to reduce the pay for the entire industry. Our market share hasn't gone up as a result.
As for the people in the Overland Park castle, you're right again. They can't tell the truth even if their lives depended on it. They won't listen to the people who actually do this job; they are far too arrogant to admit that they don't have a clue. So........we continue to have poor decisions, bad morale, worn out equipment, angry customers who then leave, etc. etc.
Some of us have really tried to help this company, but the management blows smoke up our trouser seats.

The entire light at the end of the tunnel is no longer the 6 pm express, it's the midmight heavy freight train. Getting here slower but it will be here before you know it..! Treating everyone fairly and with some level of respect, listening to the ones who do the work...not worring about how long some one spends in the mens room.? Managers telling the men if if wasn't for roadway, usf companys, new penn.or YRC we would be making a profit.? Equipment that is worn out that attracts every dot cop as you run down the road. We can debate every issue...but the bottom line...things need to change and unless they don't things will not improve. Maybe another letter sent to your homes saying if you don't want to get on board that you should work somewhere else.! Why buy YRC or even a part of it...just take their drivers with a higher pay or without the give backs...then take the freight since they will lose customer base because it can't be moved in a timely manner.! Yes there are so many who have worked and tried to help this company....but management knows everything....if you don't believe me just ask one of them. There all on board the midnight heavy freight train fighting for a window seat....!!!

in this 4-6 billion dollar company, money will be made with savings of nickels, dimes, quarters and dollars. the big wheels keep looking for a mega change to make money. money will be made by cost control, customer satisfaction, reinvestment, ending cronyism, restoring morale, claims reduction through improving equipment and getting rid of dead weight in management.
Cost control is king, as long as management refuses to as frugal as they would be with their own businesses, we will lose money.

in this 4-6 billion dollar company, money will be made with savings of nickels, dimes, quarters and dollars. the big wheels keep looking for a mega change to make money. money will be made by cost control, customer satisfaction, reinvestment, ending cronyism, restoring morale, claims reduction through improving equipment and getting rid of dead weight in management.
Cost control is king, as long as management refuses to as frugal as they would be with their own businesses, we will lose money.

I am in agreement with your points, other than the 4-6 Billion valuation. We are worth well under 1 billion, just over 700 million, actually.

Ladies and gentlemen:
YRCF had a horrible 1st quarter because of weather, because of the residue from a botched change of operations, because of strained customer relations, and a few other factors. To say that Yellow has ALWAYS lost money (been a parasite), etc etc. is pure BS. In 2003, when Yellow Corp bought Roadway, Big R was sinking faster than the Titanic. After that, Zollars and his merry men screwed up LOTS of things for which we're all paying today.
Do we want our 15%, our retirement 75% and our vacation time back? I know that I do. There's only one way to make that happen. We have to put our noses to the grindstone, do our jobs, do them really well, demand that the management either do likewise or get the %$#@ out of our way, make this place profitable, and then rightfully demand our money. Anything else is whining to somebody who isn't going to do anything about it. Everybody got that????

What are you smokin?? Roadway wasn't losing anything, you bought into the BS that Zollars was spewing. Yellow came to Roadway in 2001 with their hats in hand begging to be bought up so that they wouldn't close. CFO Stull did the financials and recommended that Yellow NOT be purchased because they didn't fit into the Roadway business model, and they were sent packing. Low and behold, Yellow got financed by private sources, saddled with a high interest rate and a credit card to go kill the competition. They purchased Roadway in 2003, with a 2 for 1 offer and old lady Rousch and her cronies jumped on it. That, my friend is the truth of the matter. The rest of the story we all know, the big Yellow anchor is dragging us all down......

What are you smokin?? Roadway wasn't losing anything, you bought into the BS that Zollars was spewing. Yellow came to Roadway in 2001 with their hats in hand begging to be bought up so that they wouldn't close. CFO Stull did the financials and recommended that Yellow NOT be purchased because they didn't fit into the Roadway business model, and they were sent packing. Low and behold, Yellow got financed by private sources, saddled with a high interest rate and a credit card to go kill the competition. They purchased Roadway in 2003, with a 2 for 1 offer and old lady Rousch and her cronies jumped on it. That, my friend is the truth of the matter. The rest of the story we all know, the big Yellow anchor is dragging us all down......

Ha ha ha! Man i bet you even convinced yourself of that tale you tell.begging to be bought up... i chocked on my coffee on that bs! Thanks for the laugh i needed that.ps if you want to live in the past and rewrite history you need to become a elected official.

Ha ha ha! Man i bet you even convinced yourself of that tale you tell.begging to be bought up... i chocked on my coffee on that bs! Thanks for the laugh i needed that.ps if you want to live in the past and rewrite history you need to become a elected official.
I've heard the same thing. That pos yellow should have died numerous times in bankruptcy court.

We can't make money because our service is horrible.... and we have too much freight on our docks to make service.... While freight levels across the board are at an all time high, service is at an all time low...Our only product is service, the higher ups want to raise our prices, but how can we raise our prices with 70% service? Less Freight, More emphasis on teamwork and actually working together and not against each other is the answer. Claims is also rising because of bringing on unexperienced casuals... Also there are more safety isues because of our experienced workforce.... we have guys that have been doing it unsafe for 25+ years and a stupid letter are not going to change their bad habits. At the end of the day if things don't turn around by the fourth quarter we will be in trouble.

PHP:
COL KID ;1412785 said:

Like I said, you don't know the truth, you believed the bull crap, Coming out Of Yellow corp. I know it to be fact because I was there at the AGO when the transaction Occurred. I also know that I profited nicely from the two for one deal. If you closely examine the records today, Roadway Express was and is the surviving entity. the DOT numbers on the trucks, the original Securities and Exchange Commission filings and rulings all say that Roadway Express was the surviving entity. go do your homework and get back to me I'll be in the office all day. Glad you think its funny, but 34,000 good men and women lost their jobs to this parasite corporation. Laugh at that knucklehead.

PHP:

Like I said, you don't know the truth, you believed the bull crap, Coming out Of Yellow corp. I know it to be fact because I was there at the AGO when the transaction Occurred. I also know that I profited nicely from the two for one deal. If you closely examine the records today, Roadway Express was and is the surviving entity. the DOT numbers on the trucks, the original Securities and Exchange Commission filings and rulings all say that Roadway Express was the surviving entity. go do your homework and get back to me I'll be in the office all day. Glad you think its funny, but 34,000 good men and women lost their jobs to this parasite corporation. Laugh at that knucklehead.

Using the former Roadway DOT numbers etc., for the combined companies was just a bookkeeping decision. If you don't want to accept the fact that Yellow purchased Roadway then you're in denial.

Using the former Roadway DOT numbers etc., for the combined companies was just a bookkeeping decision. If you don't want to accept the fact that Yellow purchased Roadway then you're in denial.

Never once did he say roadway purchased yellow, yellow was offered to roadway and roadway said NO!! Yellow has sucked the life out of several company's and are on track to do it to them selves now!! SAD !!!!!

Never once did he say roadway purchased yellow, yellow was offered to roadway and roadway said NO!! Yellow has sucked the life out of several company's and are on track to do it to them selves now!! SAD !!!!!

He implied that by stating that Roadway was the surviving company. I replied with the statement that the retention of Roadways DOT number, etc., was just a bookkeeping issue and that in actuality Yellow purchased Roadway. Don't read anything more into my comment.

Guys, I think that we've all heard enough. Here's reality: Yellow has always had a large debt load. Roadway did too until Caliber spun them off debt-free. That's a darn good position to be in, and Big R capitalized on it. They had to!! Roadway's IT system is garbage. Their rolling stock inventory had a disproportionate amount of rusted junk. Their operating strata was questionable at best, and their marketing was crappy. Many of their terminal buildings were hovels. But, they were debt-free.
Yellow had a top-notch IT system, generally good equipment, good facilities for the most part, good marketing, good service and generally very productive employees. However, they were plauged by arrogance in the General Office, unacceptable purchasing actions by the Board and Bill "I never saw a company I wouldn't over-pay for" Zollars, and the huge debt load that accompanied that.
So, when the doo-doo hit the fan in 2008, what they SHOULD have done was named the merged company "Yellow Roadway", not YRC that nobody knew who they were. They should have taken the best attributes of both companies; instead, they took the worst of both. They made catastrophic business decisions that we are all paying for today. "They" are mostly all gone, either fired or have run away.
Today, our service is deplorable. We are just slightly larger than ONE of the former companies. When we begrudgingly voted to "save our company" in 2009, that was a farce. Nearly half of the jobs we were "saving" have disappeared. Our fleet is very aged, which has caused our safety and vehicle maintenance statistics to climb out of control. We still are plauged by arrogance at the General Office, but now it's coupled with bad morale in the field. Many of our lower and middle managers are incompetent, but the company can't get any better because they don't pay well enough. Many of our senior managers are clue-less, but they have the arrogance to offset that. Many of our experienced front-liners are leaving, and we can't get enough replacements because the pay isn't good enough to atttract them.
To add to our woes, we have the arrogant slobs in the General Office regularly stirring up trouble, further eroding morale. Have you already gotten fan mail for neglecting to put your trailer number on a BOL, or the time on a D/R? In the time it took them to write that letter, they could have corrected at least ten such oversights, and called you in to verbally chew on you the next day.
I could go on and on, but I don't want all of you to fall down from exhaustion before finishing your read on this.

Ladies and gentlemen:
YRCF had a horrible 1st quarter because of weather, because of the residue from a botched change of operations, because of strained customer relations, and a few other factors. To say that Yellow has ALWAYS lost money (been a parasite), etc etc. is pure BS. In 2003, when Yellow Corp bought Roadway, Big R was sinking faster than the Titanic. After that, Zollars and his merry men screwed up LOTS of things for which we're all paying today.
Do we want our 15%, our retirement 75% and our vacation time back? I know that I do. There's only one way to make that happen. We have to put our noses to the grindstone, do our jobs, do them really well, demand that the management either do likewise or get the %$#@ out of our way, make this place profitable, and then rightfully demand our money. Anything else is whining to somebody who isn't going to do anything about it. Everybody got that????

Pure dog excrement. I have a photo taken of a DR last week with a 63.3% discount! $598.03 off from a $944.76 revenue DR.
Don't watch/listen to the Welch channel while at home each night.

Pure dog excrement. I have a photo taken of a DR last week with a 63.3% discount! $598.03 off from a $944.76 revenue DR.
Don't watch/listen to the Welch channel while at home each night.
I'm not sure what you mean by all that. A 63.3% discount is a really good day anymore. It's the 80% discounts that I get worked up about. I suggest that you go look at twenty or thirty DRs chosen at random. You will likely find that 63.3% is not at all extraordinary.

Pertaining to the thread, instead of the continuing conflict of Yellow vs Roadway, is why would we discount freight, then every quarter, complain about losses?

The law of supply and demand seems to be a little upside down when it comes to trucking, there's a driver shortage but there is enough over capacity in industry to justify 80% discounts..................something doesn't add up.:tumbleweed:

Pertaining to the thread, instead of the continuing conflict of Yellow vs Roadway, is why would we discount freight, then every quarter, complain about losses?
Well the reason is COMPETITION! When Old Dominion and FedEx beat our price, the customer doesn't care anything about whether we're Union or not. They didn't anyway.
The only way to gain business is to meet or beat the competitions' price, then do it better than them. That means a day quicker, it means less or no damage, it means (honest it does) a professional driver instead of a surly one. In order to make a profit doing this, we have to be efficient, VERY efficient! We have to be more efficient that our competitors. That is where we can impact things, but many of our brethren haven't. We have to avoid damages. They cost a pot-load of money. That's where effective management can make a difference, and in many respects they haven't. We have had numerous changes of operations, each trying to fix what they fouled up the last time. So you see the problem a bit better now?

Last edited by a moderator: