XPO | repo man

Do you work for Con-Way at the present?

Rat:loser:

No!, Actually I am retired as a teamster. When I watched your company get started and grow, everyone stood back and watched. It appeared to be doing all the right things. I may be a teamster, but we are all drivers. :bowdown:

I have not read all the posts here on this thread but I will respond with a general rant out of despair and hopelessness. I just dont care anymore. Where to start? I am at the top of service rank at my barn so I have been through all the usual stuff that goes with starting at the bottom. You know, the start times and routes no one else wants. I eventually end up taking the early start time no one else wants and open and work the dock. I see it as a fair trade off for getting off earlier in the day. Run a little overflow, make the odd early pickup and go to the house between 2:30 and 3:30 most days. I understood working more when the situation (short handed or high volume) dictated it. It gets to the point though that those events subside and I still run a full route and make pickups. I get 10 1/2 to 11 hours a day while the rest are struggling for 8. No one is happy. You try to point out to SCM that in the past certain start times run X routes and the hours are evenly distributed. His usual response is this guy cant that guy wont get it done and you cant dictate what you do or wont do. All involved are angry now. SCM a few weeks later asks if I am burned out and need a change. Pride makes me tell him I dont think so that I will think about it though. Fast forward a few weeks and you are going through the issues of wore out forklifts being replaced by forklifts that wont even start to get them out of the trailer and you have got three trucks on the yard that have broken down but you cant drive that new one on the yard that is mothballed. Chaos on all fronts. I have had enough. I go to scm and tell him "Yep, I am burned out." Solution to problem presented. Another employee is ready to quit due to needing more hours and will swap time spots and keep his old route that no one wants. More anger. The swap is made. Only I am brought in dead last and not the time slot I swapped with. Oh, spank me harder Daddy. And also the player who asked to keep his route gets put on a different route entirely than what I ran our the one he wanted and now gets less hours than before (which is what I wanted) and now is quiting to go over the road. I now smile and play my fiddle while Rome burns. Come through the door, grab my bills and hit the street while ignoring the turmoil that I am told has been occurring all morning. Who cares. Do the job in front of me the best I can until I get a few bills paid and when something else comes along,and it does not have to be better either I AM DONE. I want to say with no notice either, it just feels right. It could be that the LTL game has always been this way and due to some of my health issues and getting older I am more sensitive to it now. I might add that the SCM in question is a good man and I like him as I do all the folks I work with. Lacks attention to details and organizational talent. Not that I am better but I am not the SCM. Sorry for the rant, but I needed it. :ranting2:

I have not read all the posts here on this thread but I will respond with a general rant out of despair and hopelessness. I just dont care anymore. Where to start? I am at the top of service rank at my barn so I have been through all the usual stuff that goes with starting at the bottom. You know, the start times and routes no one else wants. I eventually end up taking the early start time no one else wants and open and work the dock. I see it as a fair trade off for getting off earlier in the day. Run a little overflow, make the odd early pickup and go to the house between 2:30 and 3:30 most days. I understood working more when the situation (short handed or high volume) dictated it. It gets to the point though that those events subside and I still run a full route and make pickups. I get 10 1/2 to 11 hours a day while the rest are struggling for 8. No one is happy. You try to point out to SCM that in the past certain start times run X routes and the hours are evenly distributed. His usual response is this guy cant that guy wont get it done and you cant dictate what you do or wont do. All involved are angry now. SCM a few weeks later asks if I am burned out and need a change. Pride makes me tell him I dont think so that I will think about it though. Fast forward a few weeks and you are going through the issues of wore out forklifts being replaced by forklifts that wont even start to get them out of the trailer and you have got three trucks on the yard that have broken down but you cant drive that new one on the yard that is mothballed. Chaos on all fronts. I have had enough. I go to scm and tell him "Yep, I am burned out." Solution to problem presented. Another employee is ready to quit due to needing more hours and will swap time spots and keep his old route that no one wants. More anger. The swap is made. Only I am brought in dead last and not the time slot I swapped with. Oh, spank me harder Daddy. And also the player who asked to keep his route gets put on a different route entirely than what I ran our the one he wanted and now gets less hours than before (which is what I wanted) and now is quiting to go over the road. I now smile and play my fiddle while Rome burns. Come through the door, grab my bills and hit the street while ignoring the turmoil that I am told has been occurring all morning. Who cares. Do the job in front of me the best I can until I get a few bills paid and when something else comes along,and it does not have to be better either I AM DONE. I want to say with no notice either, it just feels right. It could be that the LTL game has always been this way and due to some of my health issues and getting older I am more sensitive to it now. I might add that the SCM in question is a good man and I like him as I do all the folks I work with. Lacks attention to details and organizational talent. Not that I am better but I am not the SCM. Sorry for the rant, but I needed it. :ranting2:
We like people that rant. Probably could say the same at any of the terminals. Same old BS.

Well I hope you feel better now. I listened and feel for you. To achieve the end result you must stay the course. leaving only makes things worse. Get your time in and run like hell. :flame:

Well I hope you feel better now. I listened and feel for you. To achieve the end result you must stay the course. leaving only makes things worse. Get your time in and run like hell. :flame:

I guess I feel better. I have never really tried to articulate my frustrations with the job. Given that you have time to think what you want to post instead of in conversation just getting frustrated and saying that the job sucks. I have been in the LTL business in some form or fashion since 81 and out of that time there have been maybe 6 years total that I felt happy with the situation I was in and not waiting for things to turn around, for enough people to be hired or "Gentleman we are addressing the situation and we know how you feel, we are all over it so hang in there"...blah blah and more smoke blown up the bung hole B.S. My fault for staying at a job that I knew in my heart did not allow for a quality of life that I found to be acceptable. This was spread over 3 LTL companies not just Conway. The money was good hourly and when I was younger even if I did not like the job but then I could stand up physically and mentally better than lately. If it sounds like I am whining,I am I guess. Shame on me for not expanding my horizons and feeling trapped when the only thing that was in the way of me leaving was my fear of leaving what was safe. I am sure it has made me unpleasant to work with over the years. I have an opportunity to go back home and be closer to my family who I have been away from for 18 years and could use my help with Dad. I hope I have the nuts to do what is right for once. Wish me luck and God bless you all.

I guess I feel better. I have never really tried to articulate my frustrations with the job. Given that you have time to think what you want to post instead of in conversation just getting frustrated and saying that the job sucks. I have been in the LTL business in some form or fashion since 81 and out of that time there have been maybe 6 years total that I felt happy with the situation I was in and not waiting for things to turn around, for enough people to be hired or "Gentleman we are addressing the situation and we know how you feel, we are all over it so hang in there"...blah blah and more smoke blown up the bung hole B.S. My fault for staying at a job that I knew in my heart did not allow for a quality of life that I found to be acceptable. This was spread over 3 LTL companies not just Conway. The money was good hourly and when I was younger even if I did not like the job but then I could stand up physically and mentally better than lately. If it sounds like I am whining,I am I guess. Shame on me for not expanding my horizons and feeling trapped when the only thing that was in the way of me leaving was my fear of leaving what was safe. I am sure it has made me unpleasant to work with over the years. I have an opportunity to go back home and be closer to my family who I have been away from for 18 years and could use my help with Dad. I hope I have the nuts to do what is right for once. Wish me luck and God bless you all.

Feeling shame for providing a steady livelihood all these years..?? I think not..Trapped might be accurate...our industry allows us to provide a decent living for ourselves and families, and it is extremely easy to be sucked into it after a few paychecks..finding the balance for job and family is at best, a juggling act...there are many on here, I would presume, who read your post and were immediately empathetic...There is much I would do different if I could do over, but that time is past, and now I strive to make the best of what I have, and balance it as best I can..

I guess I feel better.

No I don't think you do. I think you are pretty angry with yourself for "selling" out, and losing yourself during the process of doing so. You think we will look down our noses at you, for giving up that which you have so long endured to achieve. When in fact, we all would only hope that we too, would have the ability to make that call, if it was us in that spot. You are not alone, a great many of those of us who at some point, back a few years (or longer), made the decision to stay, when good sense and sensibility was screaming at us not to, wish we could muster up the courage and rationale for doing just that ourselves. We each make the stuck/not stuck decision, not once, but over and over again, and only when we decide that either enough is enough, or, that there can be a bit more than enough, can we break the chains of servitude and break free to run to the light. Freedom, can be a revolution of change, or, simply the result of nothing left to lose. Or, freedom can be us giving ourself permission, to accept that which can't, or at the least, doesn't need to change at all.