Yellow | Road Drivers Performing Hostlers Work @326

you are correct on the company agreeing to these rules. But there is no way for us to compete, and stay in business using many outdated procedures. When it causes freight, or drivers to sit, it costs us customers and money.
Then let the Company get in touch with the head of the Freight Division and maybe something can be worked out. All it takes is a phone call or a letter!

Well it's not going to be changed here on Trucking boards or in the T.M.'s office or in a Pre-shift meeting! There are right ways to change things and then there are wrong ways. If the Company wants change we'll see them in 2019 at the table. Until them they need to shut their frekin mouths and quit Boo-Hoo'in about issues what can't be changed until then!

And the guys who bid on certain jobs need to show up regularly and do their jobs and not just when they feel like it.

OK, here's my take on one particular issue. I admit I love getting paid to sit and wait for a hostler to drop and hook my unit, who wouldn't. But if there aren't enough hostlers to do the work does it make sense to have me sit when I could do that myself and keep the freight moving? Aren't we a service company? Does delaying the movement of freight make sense just because of a work rule? What does the customer care about our work rules when he doesn't get his freight on time? No easy answers but food for thought maybe?
Casual or Day labors (you and I can start a day labor hostling sercice) YRC can be our first contract.

I agree with with Triplex. If all available manpower is called then let the Road Driver do his own work. The cartage folks can't file if they are the ones not at work and overtime has been made available to those who are.
How about we ask if theirs a problem that needs to be addressed first before we start tearing down classifications.

I agree with with Triplex. If all available manpower is called then let the Road Driver do his own work. The cartage folks can't file if they are the ones not at work and overtime has been made available to those who are.
All this extra work being put on Road Drivers, need to see some extra compensation as well. I'm not afraid of no work and dang sure not afraid of, extra compensation.

you are correct on the company agreeing to these rules. But there is no way for us to compete, and stay in business using many outdated procedures. When it causes freight, or drivers to sit, it costs us customers and money.
It costs me to work for 15% less, they say we voted for it. The company agreed on the work rules. Lots of elasticity In the flexibility where is the breaking point. Just wish we (Union members) would focus more on our wages, benifits, work rules, and solidarity, than The company and their affairs. Be a master of your craft /classifications and stop jacking -up someone else's.

Well it's not going to be changed here on Trucking boards or in the T.M.'s office or in a Pre-shift meeting! There are right ways to change things and then there are wrong ways. If the Company wants change we'll see them in 2019 at the table. Until them they need to shut their frekin mouths and quit Boo-Hoo'in about issues what can't be changed until then!
Agreed, if they don't like the MOU maybe we should revisit it before 2019. Perhaps they would like to offer more pay for us to do the extra work

How many of you want casuals hooking your sets? Wake up call is needed for switchers in general. If it takes us 15 minutes to hook a set why does a DC switcher take an hour and then it goes to the shop? The purpose of having switchers is to make everything more fluid and not burn up a drivers time on the clock. In the end we lose money sitting and waiting. Should I file a grievance against the yard switchers for that?

I was there
30-40 hrs @ hotel +
No drivers we're working the dock, we were required to hook or string & scale, paid triple time
Also like someone else said file 8 hrs pay for classification change, everyone called off used sick days, you can't refuse to work, can be sick if you choose but after that long on layover & losing a bid round you want to get home
There was 1 mechanic , 3yard guys including switcher, & 2 dockworkers working that night

How many of you want casuals hooking your sets? Wake up call is needed for switchers in general. If it takes us 15 minutes to hook a set why does a DC switcher take an hour and then it goes to the shop? The purpose of having switchers is to make everything more fluid and not burn up a drivers time on the clock. In the end we lose money sitting and waiting. Should I file a grievance against the yard switchers for that?
Haven't read their contract, it might say they have an hour to hook it.

It takes me 30 plus minutes to hook mine.

Agreed, if they don't like the MOU maybe we should revisit it before 2019. Perhaps they would like to offer more pay for us to do the extra work

One is paid, under our contract, hourly or mileage. Regardless of what job or task one is performing, one is compensated. What work that we are all able to perform, might be compensated by more pay? Lead man by bid, I am comfortable with and would agree to by contract. Otherwise, prevailing rate by classification should apply. Opening the contract to increase rates for all is acceptable, "...offer(Ing) more pay for (you) to do extra work." is not!

WE lose money, define WE. File a grievance, for what, that's not your problem, how were you violated?

Union worker are loosing money, running to management, worrying/talking about everybody else. Management have tools to suspend and terminate, but they chose to let us tear our own classifications and wages down. (DIVIDE AND CONQUER )

You can refuse ONLY if it's against the law or unsafe. The contract 's only recourse is to file and get paied.
So I'm reading this wrong then?

When an employee refuses a direct work order by a supervisor, not in violation of the law or this contract, he/she will be given a writ- ten warning for his/her refusal, stating that he/she has a ten (10) minute cooling off period to reconsider his/her refusal (such as call- ing a job steward or Business Agent for counsel) and that continued failure to perform the work may result in his/her complete loss of seniority.

I was there
30-40 hrs @ hotel +
No drivers we're working the dock, we were required to hook or string & scale, paid triple time
Also like someone else said file 8 hrs pay for classification change, everyone called off used sick days, you can't refuse to work, can be sick if you choose but after that long on layover & losing a bid round you want to get home
There was 1 mechanic , 3yard guys including switcher, & 2 dockworkers working that night
Thats fine as long as they paid the penalty.