XPO | Say What You Will, This is a Good Company to work for.

ldgarrit

TB Lurker
Credits
Here's something I read from Smar Trend, a company that tracks stocks.

Top 5 Companies in the Trucking Industry With the Best Relative Performance (CNW, R, ODFL, DTG, CAR)
14 hours 26 minutes ago - Comtex SmarTrend(R) via Comtex
Comtex SmarTrend(R)Below are the top five companies in the Trucking industry as measured by relative performance. This analysis was compiled based on yesterday's trading activity as we search for stocks that have the potential to outperform.

Con-way (NYSE:CNW) ranks first with a gain of 1.77%; Ryder System (NYSE:R) ranks second with a gain of 1.33%; and Old Dominion Freight Line (NASDAQ:ODFL) ranks third with a gain of 0.31%.

Dollar Thrifty Automotive (NYSE: DTG) follows with a gain of 0.24% and Avis Budget Group (NYSE:CAR) rounds out the top five with a gain of 0.06%.

SmarTrend currently has shares of Avis Budget Group in an Uptrend and issued the Uptrend alert on September 13, 2010 at $10.71. The stock has risen 45.7% since the Uptrend alert was issued.

By comparison, one of our competitors stocks lost nearly 30% of it's value today after announcing it failed to meet a financial deadline.

From the Dow Jones Newswire

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services cut struggling trucking company YRC Worldwide Inc. (YRCW) one notch closer to default Wednesday after the company's disclosure that it failed to meet a restructuring milestone.
As S&P cut its rating on the company one step to CC, which is almost default, the agency also revised YRC's watch status to negative from developing, indicating another downgrade is more likely than before.
Debt-laden YRC, which had a brush with a possible bankruptcy two years ago, said Monday in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it failed to meet a milestone of its previously announced restructuring plan.
By failing to meet a pension-fund condition of the plan, the company's lenders have the right--though not the obligation--to declare YRC to be in default on its credit agreements.
Credit analyst Anita Ogbara said S&P's rating changes reflect the agency's growing worries about liquidity position and proposed financial restructuring.
S&P said if YRC succeeds in completing its proposed restructuring while staying within the agency's criteria for distressed debt exchanges, S&P would lower the ratings to SD, or selective default. On the other hand, if YRC files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, S&P said it would lower the ratings to default.
YRC shares were down 23% at $1.58 in recent trading, having fallen earlier because of the milestone-failure disclosure.

So Rat and some of you others out there with bad attitudes, take a moment and reflect about your employment situation vs. that of the employees of our competitor and try to muster up a little gratitude for those at the top who are making the hard decisions to keep Conway moving forward. Please understand, I do not wish in any way to take away the accomplishments of the workforce as we all bust our azzes, but it's not just us alone in the trenches that make this company work, it's everyone and we need now more than ever to be a team with our management people. We need to stop complaining about petty things and just get the work done so that we can continue to kick azz in the future.

But if they "stop complaining about petty things" they might have time to realize they are not the awesome workers they seem to think they are. It would be terrible if the whiners discovered they are a larger part of the problem than they are of the solution. And....GO!

This is definitely, flat out, no questions asked, the best job I have ever had. I had other jobs that I liked better but they did not PAY THE BILLS. I used to run OTR, I was gone all of the time and made half the money I do now.

Would I like to get a raise this year? YES. Would I like to get my 401k match back? YES. Do I disagree with some of the policies and procedures? YES . Do I have any intentions of quitting this outfit? NO

There's plenty of money at our place to go around. We have plenty of extra runs due to all the re-ship. I'll be here working like a dog, 'til I retire and cash out my fat 401K.

It would be fatter if they would start matching again. Hopefully this year..

I have worked a lot of different jobs in my 31 years of life. I started at 13 years old laying carpet with my uncle. I have done jobs from roofing, tile, and even a computer tech for a now debunked company. Conway if by far the best and easiest job I have ever had. As the years pass, sometimes we forget how bad other places we have been were. Just like any job, I have had days where I felt like quitting, but I have also had days that I can not believe I am getting payed to do what I do. Until the bad days outnumber the good, I will continue enjoying coming to work. I don't know about the rest of the people on here, but at no other job have I ever had a supervisor BBQ for me, or make breakfast for the crew, give away sporting tickets bought with personal money, or walk around in the morning joking with their employees. Does conway have localized problems? Sure they do, but after you leave the dock, you are your own boss, driving around in the fresh air, getting payed to visit with people. I don't know about others, but I would have to say, that's pretty cool.

So Rat and some of you others out there with bad attitudes, take a moment and reflect about your employment situation vs. that of the employees of our competitor and try to muster up a little gratitude for those at the top who are making the hard decisions to keep Conway moving forward. Please understand, I do not wish in any way to take away the accomplishments of the workforce as we all bust our azzes, but it's not just us alone in the trenches that make this company work, it's everyone and we need now more than ever to be a team with our management people. We need to stop complaining about petty things and just get the work done so that we can continue to kick azz in the future.

I had no dog in this fight/post...but as my name was brought up I will address it as follows...

Lost wages/pay cuts...

Lost 401K matches...

A years vacation lost/stolen...

A dead pension plan promised over 20 years ago to employees as an enticement to come to work at Con-Way...

Return of the lost wages (that were done via cuts) and then simultaneously wiping out said return by jacking up the insurance premiums...not once but twice...insulting the intelligence of every employee on the books.

Over the top insurance co-pays...

A company that no longer recognizes their drivers as unique and special...no more "Driver Appreciation" events...now it is "Employee Appreciation"...lumping every person employed by the company in the same category as highly skilled professional drivers.

No more picnics...holiday dinners...cookouts..."King of the Hill" celebrations...

Kicked the security out from under thousands of good dedicated folks in Nov 2008.

Done everything possible to eliminate any remaining influence of Jerry D. during the Ann Arbor slaughter in Dec of the same year.

"Economically terminated" dozens in Jan of 2010 and then asked them to return as new hires just a few months later...many refused to come back. Can't blame them.

Ad Nauseum.

Yep...petty problems to be sure as viewed by some...not so petty by those adversely affected.

There were no hard decisions made by management...they simply cut wages a benefits and increased insurance premiums...laying the company's lack of insight at the feet of the rank and file.

That mentality died with Henry Ford...

The company does not now nor will it ever (under the current regime) recognize or appreciate the contributions made daily by the average Joe on the street...Ann Arbor is convinced the decisions and directives flowing from the palace are the sole reason anything positive happens. Until Doug S. and his BOD cronies are removed and replaced nothing is going to change.

When one considers all the cuts made the company...and the claims made by same as to helping the bottom line...Con-Way should be rolling in money...and according to the quarterly reports they are not.

This begs the question...why?

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang.....Rat covered everything. Can at least one of you proudly say....."at least I have a job"? (for now....)
Go ahead.........say it loud, say it proud.

Good job Rat.

Rat, you can take the list you made out and apply it to just about any large company in the United States today. From my point of view, this is the best company I've ever worked for, and I've worked for plenty up until now. As much as you complain about our company, it's plain to me that you wouldn't last a day working some of the jobs I did happily before I became a Conway DSR. At least you could acknowledge the fact that our company has perservered through one of the most difficult recessions in recent times and show a little gratitude to the higher ups who made happen.

Depending on how many years you have been with Corn Hole, it may explain your belief in the promises they now offer. In that case, give it time and you will see. If you have been with the company for more then 15 years.......I say HUH!!!!!!?????

The way this company is ran and the employees acceptance of the constant change of working conditions as well as the rediculous rules (ie....flipping a trlr and getting canned) could stop if every terminal and every driver stuck together and sent a message to the top that enough is enough. Not union representation.....just banding together again. Its like being sent to combat and seeing ur buddy nailed by a sniper. You just stare at your buddy as he dies......you see the sniper, you have a clear shot and you do nothing. The sniper gets away to get some more of your buddies if not you. Be careful and keep your head low.

What would a terminal do if every single dsr just came to a complete stop? Fire everyone? Would never happen, but they could never fire every single truck driver in a whole terminal. With yrcw having troubles, freight is going to boom real soon. Be prepared to go through prison camp otherwise.

I agree with rat 110% . If you think this is the best co you ever worked for you should have worked for Conway way before you were apparantly hired idgarrit because I can tell you have not been here that long. I see guys come into my terminal learning to drive in the yard with a trainer cannot drive cannot drive a forklift and does not know how to load a trailer guess what this is the best job he has ever had duh/. Shortly after that he wants to know why I do not have the good vacation picks, why I do not have an air conditioned tractor and they give it to them. Anybody that has been her as long as I have remember when everything was loaded on the floor you worked your a-- off . I have not seen that for years .If you think I am whinning again you are wrong I am pissed off . Look at what rat said about what we have lost all do to co. greed and nothing else but knuckelheads like you say I am working. Look at conways history srarted at one of the worst times for frieght we had good benifits and made a profit. Now we move more freight short on drivers everywhere give all frieght longboxes and no profit wake up /

What I don't understand is, if it is so bad here, why do the same complainers always stay around? The door is open, anyone is free to leave whenever, but no, not many leave. The main ones leaving that I've seen at our barn, are the people who came on board within the last 5 years. I've been here since '94, I'm making a lot more than when I started, I'm doing better than I deserve! It could be better, but whenever you think you have it bad, remember, there is always somone who is worse off than you!

What I don't understand is, if it is so bad here, why do the same complainers always stay around? The door is open, anyone is free to leave whenever, but no, not many leave. The main ones leaving that I've seen at our barn, are the people who came on board within the last 5 years. I've been here since '94, I'm making a lot more than when I started, I'm doing better than I deserve! It could be better, but whenever you think you have it bad, remember, there is always somone who is worse off than you!

Same story at my barn. The only people who quit are new people because they don't want to work the dock or they don't want to be coming in at night. No one wants to be the bottom guy on the extraboard but we all were the bottom guy when we were the FNG. The only time big strappers quit at my barn is because they get hired on at UPS and you would have to be pretty stupid not to take that job.

The thing I always wonder about is this, how many drivers on this board have run OTR. Conway is a walk in the park compared to OTR. You work alot harder here but you get PAID for your time. OTR, you don't work very hard but you are GONE all the time. No family time, no rest and relaxation time unless you consider sitting in your sleeper berth relaxation, and ALOT of time NOT getting PAID sitting around waiting for that next load. F#$K that madness. I love my job, Overtime after 8, home every night and off every weekend and I get PAID enough to take care of my family. What else do you want??? If you hate your job, quit, life is too short to hate going to work every day.

Rat reminds me of Jim Jones..... he's got his simple-minded followers. lol If your insurance premiums went up, then you didnt do a good job in selecting your insurance benefits.. like I said last year, do your research. I didn't lose any vacation. The pension is still there (duh!) They're not contrubuting to it, as we all know, but they are giving us 3% percent in the 401 every quarter(that's more than they were puting in the pension fund) The 401K match is still suspended.

Rat needs somebody telling him he is doing a good job...This is a company or numbers, they dont care about your feelings. Just go to work on time, do what they tell you, and dont be so insecure and you wont have any problems... oh yeah, and don't complain. lol take your money and enjoy the rest of your life... haha . Dont burn your bridges with management, you might need them..

If I'm not mistaken, Rat has stated in another post, that he's already left the company... Where you working now Rat? haha

Rat reminds me of Jim Jones..... he's got his simple-minded followers. lol If your insurance premiums went up, then you didnt do a good job in selecting your insurance benefits.. like I said last year, do your research. I didn't lose any vacation. The pension is still there (duh!) They're not contrubuting to it, as we all know, but they are giving us 3% percent in the 401 every quarter(that's more than they were puting in the pension fund) The 401K match is still suspended.

Rat needs somebody telling him he is doing a good job...This is a company or numbers, they dont care about your feelings. Just go to work on time, do what they tell you, and dont be so insecure and you wont have any problems... oh yeah, and don't complain. lol take your money and enjoy the rest of your life... haha . Dont burn your bridges with management, you might need them..

If I'm not mistaken, Rat has stated in another post, that he's already left the company... Where you working now Rat? haha

Better rethink that pension thing sonny...

The original plan to bastardize the pension benefit was to disallow any new hires to be enrolled in the plan if hired after a certain date...IIRC that date was Jan 01, 2003 (maybe incorrect as far as the date but it did happen).

At that point the employees were no longer allowed to contribute to the pension...it was replaced by an enhanced 401K plan and all new employees were automatically enrolled in the 401K plan unless they opted out.

The company was still supposed to contribute to the plan and it was to continue to grow until 2016...

This was the knee jerk Con-Way response to the Enron fiasco.

Fast forward to May 2009...wonder boys John L. and Doug S. said they can't contribute to the plan anymore...the company couldn't afford it.

The pension plan at that point was frozen...and would no longer accrue any additional value...the talking heads at Ann Arbor killed a pension plan that was promised to the original employees of Con-Way...this is irreversible...once done it is done.

So you have no pension plan...just the leftover monies owed to the employees by virtue of legalities.

Before you jump on me...be sure you have your facts straight, sonny...I will.

Rat

BTW...

The whole Jim Jones reference just goes to show how little you actually know about how great his company once was.

To refer to those who agree with me as 'simple minded' has erased any respect I carried for your posts.

If you are happy with the company's edicts and irresponsible actions then so be it...

For those of us who didn't agree...if we are 'simple minded'...and expected the company to follow through with what they promised...perhaps we are just old school and and relied on a man's word to be more than the whims of what direction the wind is blowing on any given day.

Last edited by a moderator: