XPO | Say What You Will, This is a Good Company to work for.

Better rethink that pension thing sonny...

The original plan to bastardize the pension benefit was to disallow any new hires to be enrolled in the plan if hired after a certain date...IIRC that date was Jan 01, 2003 (maybe incorrect as far as the date but it did happen).

At that point the employees were no longer allowed to contribute to the pension...it was replaced by an enhanced 401K plan and all new employees were automatically enrolled in the 401K plan unless they opted out.

The company was still supposed to contribute to the plan and it was to continue to grow until 2016...

This was the knee jerk Con-Way response to the Enron fiasco.

Fast forward to May 2009...wonder boys John L. and Doug S. said they can't contribute to the plan anymore...the company couldn't afford it.

The pension plan at that point was frozen...and would no longer accrue any additional value...the talking heads at Ann Arbor killed a pension plan that was promised to the original employees of Con-Way...this is irreversible...once done it is done.

So you have no pension plan...just the leftover monies owed to the employees by virtue of legalities.

Before you jump on me...be sure you have your facts straight, sonny...I will.

Rat

BTW...

The whole Jim Jones reference just goes to show how little you actually know about how great his company once was.

To refer to those who agree with me as 'simple minded' has erased any respect I carried for your posts.

If you are happy with the company's edicts and irresponsible actions then so be it...

For those of us who didn't agree...if we are 'simple minded'...and expected the company to follow through with what they promised...perhaps we are just old school and and relied on a man's word to be more than the whims of what direction the wind is blowing on any given day.

You are 100% right Rat!!! SIMPLE MINDED!!!! I don't think so!!!!! Those who don't have a mind of their own or who CAN't think for themselves are the simple minded , follow into the jungle and drink the kool-aid people. I don't get on here as much as I used to because of all of the new hires that has no idea what Con-Way once was thinking they know it all about the Company. Later down the road when what they were promised is taken away from them , they will change their attitude and feel like we do. Some people ask why we are still here if we are so unhappy here? After being here over 20 years and after a certain age it is hard to just walk away.( Which is what the Frat Boys at the Palace wants ) Also after all of these years I sometimes set here under the delusion and hoping that someone will step up and straighten this place out. BUT I know it will never happen. I HAVE WORKED FOR A MUCH BETTER COMPANY!!! It was called CCX. It had a leader as the President named Jerry Detter. He always told us that this was a DRIVER oriented Company. It was just that until he left and these Frat Boys took over.
There was one post that mentioned that Con-Way managed to weather the bad storm that we just went thru. Part of the storm we went thru they actually created themselves . We didn't make it thru the storm because of the upper management's leadership and knowledge . We survived despite DESPITE them.

Tell me RAT, Is Conway the only company that has done the things you have listed.............NO!!!! I can tell you one thing, so many of my regular customers from just three years ago are gone, closed up, out of business because of this wrotten economy, but here I am, an over 20 year driver of Conway, home on vacation, answering this post. I CANT complain!!! I would put this company up against any other trucking company, we are the best, we have the best drivers, dock workers, billers, mechanics, you name it. We are STILL here and I dont see us going anywhere. Do your job, take pride in your job, your company, and your fellow workers! I know I do! Now give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry to get back to my vacation!!

Diablo means devil doesnt it????? Diablo'd egg sandwiches? If Jerry were still around, the changes that took place over the past few years never would have taken place and Con-way would still be successful. This is not the first time this company has went through rough times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me RAT, Is Conway the only company that has done the things you have listed.............NO!!!! I can tell you one thing, so many of my regular customers from just three years ago are gone, closed up, out of business because of this wrotten economy, but here I am, an over 20 year driver of Conway, home on vacation, answering this post. I CANT complain!!! I would put this company up against any other trucking company, we are the best, we have the best drivers, dock workers, billers, mechanics, you name it. We are STILL here and I dont see us going anywhere. Do your job, take pride in your job, your company, and your fellow workers! I know I do! Now give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry to get back to my vacation!!
ohhh a diablo.....never mind.

You are 100% right Rat!!! SIMPLE MINDED!!!! I don't think so!!!!! Those who don't have a mind of their own or who CAN't think for themselves are the simple minded , follow into the jungle and drink the kool-aid people. I don't get on here as much as I used to because of all of the new hires that has no idea what Con-Way once was thinking they know it all about the Company. Later down the road when what they were promised is taken away from them , they will change their attitude and feel like we do. Some people ask why we are still here if we are so unhappy here? After being here over 20 years and after a certain age it is hard to just walk away.( Which is what the Frat Boys at the Palace wants ) Also after all of these years I sometimes set here under the delusion and hoping that someone will step up and straighten this place out. BUT I know it will never happen. I HAVE WORKED FOR A MUCH BETTER COMPANY!!! It was called CCX. It had a leader as the President named Jerry Detter. He always told us that this was a DRIVER oriented Company. It was just that until he left and these Frat Boys took over.
There was one post that mentioned that Con-Way managed to weather the bad storm that we just went thru. Part of the storm we went thru they actually created themselves . We didn't make it thru the storm because of the upper management's leadership and knowledge . We survived despite DESPITE them.

Let's put this in the proper perspective...
you personally agree 100 % with the previous poster. Others have pointed out that they also have over 20 years of service with this company and completely disagree with the poster. So the not thinking for themselves and simple-minded part kinda falls back onto your shoulders... in my opinion. This opinion being mine, is formed from the facts that I also have over 20 years with the company, roots in CCX, and because of my first service center, interacted with Mr. Detter and XGO way above the average DSR. Any corporation today that has tried to hold to a 20 year or older business model is in serious financial trouble. So anytime someone starts in with the whole "they stole my pension" thing they loose my attention really fast.

For those open-minded self thinking individuals, an understanding of the relationship between subjective information and objective information is important on this site. So when reading three to four paragraphs of posting ask yourself was the information being communicated;
a) factual, able to be counted, able to be described, the same from multiple reports, as close to the truth as we can get, and helpful in decision making?
or,
b) opinion, judgment, assumption, belief, rumor, suspicion, variable (person-to-person, day-to-day), able to take on a life of it's own, not the truth, sometimes completely false, or destructive in decision making?

So based on the above knowledge I have gained over the last year or so, I leave my emotions outside the door of my office and ask myself what is in the body of the post I am reading, subjective or objective information. Additionally, when bringing concerns to a manager, if you do your homework and present objective information as opposed to subjective information, they tend to listen closer.

Better rethink that pension thing sonny...

The original plan to bastardize the pension benefit was to disallow any new hires to be enrolled in the plan if hired after a certain date...IIRC that date was Jan 01, 2003 (maybe incorrect as far as the date but it did happen).

At that point the employees were no longer allowed to contribute to the pension...it was replaced by an enhanced 401K plan and all new employees were automatically enrolled in the 401K plan unless they opted out.

The company was still supposed to contribute to the plan and it was to continue to grow until 2016...

This was the knee jerk Con-Way response to the Enron fiasco.

Fast forward to May 2009...wonder boys John L. and Doug S. said they can't contribute to the plan anymore...the company couldn't afford it.

The pension plan at that point was frozen...and would no longer accrue any additional value...the talking heads at Ann Arbor killed a pension plan that was promised to the original employees of Con-Way...this is irreversible...once done it is done.

So you have no pension plan...just the leftover monies owed to the employees by virtue of legalities.

Before you jump on me...be sure you have your facts straight, sonny...I will.

Rat

BTW...

The whole Jim Jones reference just goes to show how little you actually know about how great his company once was.

To refer to those who agree with me as 'simple minded' has erased any respect I carried for your posts.

If you are happy with the company's edicts and irresponsible actions then so be it...

For those of us who didn't agree...if we are 'simple minded'...and expected the company to follow through with what they promised...perhaps we are just old school and and relied on a man's word to be more than the whims of what direction the wind is blowing on any given day.

Ok......I said the pension contributions were frozen. You say they are stolen. That's not true. The money is still there. You say things for excitement... just like the evening news. There are still good things about this company, but I dont think you will ever say anything positive. I'm sure when you were here, you gave the local management hell. Just go to work and enjoy your job.. You make good money. ALL companies make changes.... you just go to roll with it (I think that's a song reference).

Just don't be drinking any of that JJ Kool-aid. LOL

And BTW, I just had a Diablo Sandwich and washed it down with some Colorado Kool-aid.

All i know is that a lot of new guy's are looking for job's at my barn. They see us top guy's going backwards on the long run and they don't want to live at XAU and XLA for the rest of there lives.

All i know is that a lot of new guy's are looking for job's at my barn. They see us top guy's going backwards on the long run and they don't want to live at XAU and XLA for the rest of there lives.

All the new guys at our place run every night. They literally run every night. Those are the guys that stuck around. I'd say about half of the new-hires quit in the first six months. Job hoppers.

I believe you have hit the target here. They are looking for a "job" here, and nothing more. People used to come here to finish a "career" with a solid, stable, progressive company, no longer. Now, they are just looking for a job, to hold them over until the next move. I can say with some degree of certainty, that most of our people, are either still looking, while spending some time with us, or have started looking after realizing that this is not what they had hoped it was when they hired in. Like our bud "Rat", who, after keeping the faith as long as he could, moved on to something that we all thought was here when we started, and perhaps once was (maybe it was, maybe not, we will continue to debate that 'ad naseum'"). There will continue to be those of us who "hang on", either due to age, or apathy, or some other very good reason. I have had hundreds of hopefuls ask, "How long does it take here to make the LineBoard?".......How many of the next gen of workers are looking for an hourly, in-town, P & D job? From the beginning, thru till the end of a twenty or longer year career? The company (at least in this area) is now 80-90% Purchase for linehaul. Our Lineboard is 10% of what it was five years ago. With the majority of our business moving on "The Lowest Bidder" on any given lane, long, short, Purchase carries the bulk of it all. If this has not come to your area yet, give it some time, it is coming. "Outsourcing", was the buzz word, never thought I'd see it in the trucking biz...........who knew?

At least you could acknowledge the fact that our company has perservered through one of the most difficult recessions in recent times and show a little gratitude to the higher ups who made happen.

Really? That is not saying much when a company in such terrible financial troubles made it through. Can anyone say YRC?

Last edited by a moderator:
gentlemen & ladies if you thought con-way was supposed to make you happy everyday. wow you all expected too much.listen it used to be a great job with respect & appreciation. i used to come everyday and be an asset but now i come in and do my job. my scm recently asked me why i am not involved in certain things as i used to be. i told him if i felt like it was appreciated i would. listen people come to work do your job collect your check & go home if you want to feel good do some volunteer work. IT'S JUST A JOB NOTHING MORE no more respect, appreciation or satisfaction.

What I don't understand is, if it is so bad here, why do the same complainers always stay around? The door is open, anyone is free to leave whenever, but no, not many leave. The main ones leaving that I've seen at our barn, are the people who came on board within the last 5 years. I've been here since '94, I'm making a lot more than when I started, I'm doing better than I deserve! It could be better, but whenever you think you have it bad, remember, there is always somone who is worse off than you!

The glass is half full and everything is always green and happy. What ever. Maybe you are doing better than you deserve. I am not doing better than I deserve. If you read "rat's" post, you can see what we have lost. Micah77, maybe you are getting more than you deserve. I was PROMISED great wages, vacation, best to offer health care and so on and so on. THAT is why I came to work here. Remember 10 days sick pay? Not that I ever used all of them or even any of them but the fact is they TOOK a benefit AWAY from us. I DESERVE what I was promised.

There is always going to be someone else worse off than you. That is a stupid remark. Remember, there is always someone better off than you! Why don't I leave? I have been here 25 years and you just don't up and walk away after that long. That was another stupid remark. There is no way one can leave to better himself after this many years with a company. If you could, you think there would be any long timers still around? I am sure that there are a few that would be, you know, the guys like you that are "doing better than you deserve".

Don't get me wrong. This is a good job and you can make money here. Thing is, this used to be a GREAT job. Something to make others jealous with when they heard you were working here. Now it is like "man, I can't believe they keep taking things from you guys".

So just remember, there are better jobs out there, there is always someone that is better off than you and you are getting more than you deserve.:bowdown:

Same story at my barn. The only people who quit are new people because they don't want to work the dock or they don't want to be coming in at night. No one wants to be the bottom guy on the extraboard but we all were the bottom guy when we were the FNG. The only time big strappers quit at my barn is because they get hired on at UPS and you would have to be pretty stupid not to take that job.

The thing I always wonder about is this, how many drivers on this board have run OTR. Conway is a walk in the park compared to OTR. You work alot harder here but you get PAID for your time. OTR, you don't work very hard but you are GONE all the time. No family time, no rest and relaxation time unless you consider sitting in your sleeper berth relaxation, and ALOT of time NOT getting PAID sitting around waiting for that next load. F#$K that madness. I love my job, Overtime after 8, home every night and off every weekend and I get PAID enough to take care of my family. What else do you want??? If you hate your job, quit, life is too short to hate going to work every day.

I couldn't agree more. I used to have my own truck and run the road, and I wouldn't want it back comparing it to what I have now!

I have had worse jobs.... window cleaner ,, factory worker.. restaurant .. bartender(that was fun got a few hook ups) .. groundskeeper .. the moving company was the worst of the three truck driving jobs I had ..

I have had worse jobs.... window cleaner ,, factory worker.. restaurant .. bartender(that was fun got a few hook ups) .. groundskeeper .. the moving company was the worst of the three truck driving jobs I had ..

Thats funny, I used to deliver furniture, I was not the driver back then, just the helper, but we both had to carry these HEAVY sleeper sofas into peoples homes. That job SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The glass is half full and everything is always green and happy. What ever. Maybe you are doing better than you deserve. I am not doing better than I deserve. If you read "rat's" post, you can see what we have lost. Micah77, maybe you are getting more than you deserve. I was PROMISED great wages, vacation, best to offer health care and so on and so on. THAT is why I came to work here. Remember 10 days sick pay? Not that I ever used all of them or even any of them but the fact is they TOOK a benefit AWAY from us. I DESERVE what I was promised.

There is always going to be someone else worse off than you. That is a stupid remark. Remember, there is always someone better off than you! Why don't I leave? I have been here 25 years and you just don't up and walk away after that long. That was another stupid remark. There is no way one can leave to better himself after this many years with a company. If you could, you think there would be any long timers still around? I am sure that there are a few that would be, you know, the guys like you that are "doing better than you deserve".

Don't get me wrong. This is a good job and you can make money here. Thing is, this used to be a GREAT job. Something to make others jealous with when they heard you were working here. Now it is like "man, I can't believe they keep taking things from you guys".

So just remember, there are better jobs out there, there is always someone that is better off than you and you are getting more than you deserve.:bowdown:
big foot good post. but dont you wish you had the two min's of your life back responding to mika77??