XPO | Selling truckload

Mr. Jacobs said XPO already is looking at changes in Con-way Freight’s LTL service as the company prepares to close on the deal this quarter. He said the company is considering adding a cheaper economy service to Con-way’s premium-priced distribution service.

The premium service makes up only about a third of the total LTL market and XPO wants to introduce technology that will allow Con-way to tap the larger economy portion of the market.

Sounds like he is going after OD.
They may be looking at fed ex's economy pricing where shippers who want a cheaper price but may take longer for it to get there instead of moving it overnight or second day

XPO's consolidated revenue for the second quarter of 2015 increased 109.3% to $1,215.9 million from $581.0 million in the second quarter of 2014. But, XPO's loss grew from 13.8 million to 78.8 million a 471% increase from the same quarter of 2014. Good luck.....

Oh well. Guess I'll just have too put up with you guys in the way tonight. Maybe you guys will close up next week. Wait a minute, you guys would have to close at the same time so the other one wouldn't be able to survive off the new influx of freight. Oh boy this gonna get tricky. Maybe I'll pray about this on Sunday at church. Lord please keep Yrc out of the hammer lane and slow down conway so it don't take 10 miles to pass em.
Hey you think Testies might have enough money to pay you guys time and a half if Yrc and Conway went out. Nah, you're dumb enough to work without it now, don't think you'll be any smarter the day after they close. Testies has already figured out your a cheap date, too late to play " shy girl " now.

Economy freight may eliminate empty trailers on the back haul. Empty miles don't pay. If its economy, not TDC, we can sit on it until we have one premium box with no premium back box to run with it and send it. The reason we have been told for so many years why we run so much purchase is to eliminate empty miles. Reduce empty miles and reduce the use of purchased transport.

Which was a LIE to begin with!

Is that how OD and FedEx run their operations ?

This guy is all about making money.
Your point is one that I thought about also. A lot of XPO's freight comes from overseas, and it doesn't have nearly as tight of time constraints as the domestic freight would have because of the usual delays with foreign freight. So XPO's system might be perfect for the economy service. Faster than normal for foreign freight, but slower than domestic freight........and cheap. Quantity can be as good as quality when it comes to profitability ......if you do it right.
Yeah, but only if we are pulling that freight!

Oh well. Guess I'll just have too put up with you guys in the way tonight. Maybe you guys will close up next week. Wait a minute, you guys would have to close at the same time so the other one wouldn't be able to survive off the new influx of freight. Oh boy this gonna get tricky. Maybe I'll pray about this on Sunday at church. Lord please keep Yrc out of the hammer lane and slow down conway so it don't take 10 miles to pass em.

We are all driving governed tractors these days. Yes, it can be frustrating, but to be praying for companies to go under and thousands of guys be out of work because you can't pass somebody out on the road? Come on, that's just low. We are all doing the same :shhit:, in different colored :shhit:, that all goes between 62 and 67(for the lucky ones) miles per hour depending on how worn your drive tires are. Patience is the key to success out here.

Hey you think Testies might have enough money to pay you guys time and a half if Yrc and Conway went out. Nah, you're dumb enough to work without it now, don't think you'll be any smarter the day after they close. Testies has already figured out your a cheap date, too late to play " shy girl " now.

That's the spirit! Now put that energy into moving freight!

We are all driving governed tractors these days. Yes, it can be frustrating, but to be praying for companies to go under and thousands of guys be out of work because you can't pass somebody out on the road? Come on, that's just low. We are all doing the same :shhit:, in different colored :shhit:, that all goes between 62 and 67(for the lucky ones) miles per hour depending on how worn your drive tires are. Patience is the key to success out here.

Your right. Will you guys put your flags at half mass if Estes closes? Also, I want all the other companies to close so I can move up the board, not because of passing issues. lol

In all seriousness, most of what I've said was not serious. I just see YRC guys jumping in here trying to scare. Trying to compare their dumpy company to conway. It's not even close. Lets get this straight, if conway was to close every teamster in america would celebrate. Same with Estes and every other non union carrier. This atmosphere of doom being created on this here board is an illusion.

Every ltl carrier is trying to get more freight. Every teamster hall wants more members. They both are not afraid to shut down the competition to get it. Ask yourself, who's more vulnerable right now Conway or Teamsters? XPO did not buy Conway to shut down Conway.

I will be honest with you, as long as I'm with Estes, I will want Estes to be the bestes. I think that kind of spirit made Conway attractive to XPO.

I appreciate your perspective, but find it totally wrong.

YRC should have gone under. Obama spent our money so it wouldn't and that is bull :::shit:::. We at Con-way took cuts in pay and lost benefits. Where was our government money ? And we ain't done spending. The biggest pension of them all is busted. And you all are going to destroy the system and take even more tax payer money to fulfill 37% of YRC's broken promises.

Of course everyone was going to want to talk about the largest LTL in the business falling to pieces under it's own weight. It was effecting us all. The world doesn't revolve around just you. The whole rest of all of us do exist. We are real. Check it out.

And you guys prancing around all snooty and talking down to everyone that wasn't union all those years may have had something to do with folks finding pleasure in seeing you knocked down a peg.

As it applies to a cancer patient, apparently you have no experience. The first thing you ask is how long ? The next is, do you want to go somewhere ? Do something ? Can I bring something to you ? Life is precious. Most of us don't know when we are going to go. Could be any moment. These people have a time table. They know the when. And those last few days of freedom before the sickness squeezes the life out of them are amazing and wonderful. The kind that leave a lifetimes worth of memories.

I don't understand how you can see it fit to compare celebrating a life that is ending with a business or a job that has run it's course. A business exists to make money. When it is no longer profitable, it will stop making money. People don't come to work for free. We say that it died or that it is dead, it's because those are terms that hold a certain terminal quality. But it was never alive or living. And no one ever celebrated the doors closing. It just fades away. In this industry they will recycle those trailers and you will see them for years and years. The sun fading out everything but where those old stickers used to be.

Only person ever to be perfect was a man around 2000 years ago. None of us are him. So I guess we oughta be used to getting bitten by now. It's human nature to be fallible. When did it become rude to be human ? Maybe instead of shutting those guys out you should have talked to them. Most of them had probably already been through the same type of situation a time or two. But that would have required you to see them as a peer or an equal. And that's probably to big of an ask from a guy like you. Not that I know you at all. It's just my impression of you from this post of yours.

Anyway, thank you for sharing.
Open mouth, insert foot....

Your a class act super trucker....

been following this thread thought it was about selling truckload (me) not sure where its going but none of the truckload drivers are on this site but me and it is certainly been a roller coaster ride. i was at the first townhall he had at truckload i sat in front row right in front and heard him say "no changes for a year as we integrate things".. now he releases a statement that he was approached and is thinking about selling. I don't think that selling truckload is a new twist and am still chasing the jb hunt and swift rumor that they are involved in it (hell no, i wont go) i had hope that this could work however that dream is now becoming a nightmare. even if he don't sell he lost respect of the truckload drivers i have seen so far. not a single truckload driver has the positive attitude we once had. he has already started a downward slide as when attitude goes south everything else follows (work ethics read here) there is a RUMOR that we are already losing a lot of drivers PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED IT BUT DO KNOW A FEW THAT DID as far as my attitude? im very dissapointed but im going to ride this bull to the very end and go out as one of the last conway cowboys! the end of the road is in sight and im still running WFO!!!!

been following this thread thought it was about selling truckload (me) not sure where its going but none of the truckload drivers are on this site but me and it is certainly been a roller coaster ride. i was at the first townhall he had at truckload i sat in front row right in front and heard him say "no changes for a year as we integrate things".. now he releases a statement that he was approached and is thinking about selling. I don't think that selling truckload is a new twist and am still chasing the jb hunt and swift rumor that they are involved in it (hell no, i wont go) i had hope that this could work however that dream is now becoming a nightmare. even if he don't sell he lost respect of the truckload drivers i have seen so far. not a single truckload driver has the positive attitude we once had. he has already started a downward slide as when attitude goes south everything else follows (work ethics read here) there is a RUMOR that we are already losing a lot of drivers PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NOT CONFIRMED IT BUT DO KNOW A FEW THAT DID as far as my attitude? im very dissapointed but im going to ride this bull to the very end and go out as one of the last conway cowboys! the end of the road is in sight and im still running WFO!!!!

I'm guessing you have absolutely no interest in giving the ltl end of things a try, but we are definitely in need of quality drivers and the pay should be attractive to a Truckload guy.

I must have missed the part where he said that he was thinking about selling truckload off. Offers yes, up for sale no. "Unsolicited" offers means that they approached him, he didn't approach them.

Your right. Will you guys put your flags at half mass if Estes closes? Also, I want all the other companies to close so I can move up the board, not because of passing issues. lol

In all seriousness, most of what I've said was not serious. I just see YRC guys jumping in here trying to scare. Trying to compare their dumpy company to conway. It's not even close. Lets get this straight, if conway was to close every teamster in america would celebrate. Same with Estes and every other non union carrier. This atmosphere of doom being created on this here board is an illusion.

Every ltl carrier is trying to get more freight. Every teamster hall wants more members. They both are not afraid to shut down the competition to get it. Ask yourself, who's more vulnerable right now Conway or Teamsters? XPO did not buy Conway to shut down Conway.

I will be honest with you, as long as I'm with Estes, I will want Estes to be the bestes. I think that kind of spirit made Conway attractive to XPO.
Where to start on this one? First, as long as the economy is fairly strong nobody is going out of business, theres a shortage of drivers which is constraining capacity and working in the carriers advantage, so pricing remains strong. Second, after you've been in this business for awhile, you learn all these companies are more or less the same, just the name is different. If Yrc closes tomorrow, I will take a break and draw unemployment as long as I can, then I'll go back to doing the same thing I always have, pickup and deliver freight. Someone else will sign my paycheck, so what. As far as wishing other carriers to go out of business, you're either inmature, inexperienced, or both. If you were smart you'd wish the companies that don't payy time and a half would close up not the ones that do. Duh!!!!

I'm guessing you have absolutely no interest in giving the ltl end of things a try, but we are definitely in need of quality drivers and the pay should be attractive to a Truckload guy.
I did help for a few months at Xdm it was fun and the guys there were cool to work with but the open road always was addicting to me and a divorce 5 years ago added to my urge to run my otr pay is much better than the hourly pay I got there

I did help for a few months at Xdm it was fun and the guys there were cool to work with but the open road always was addicting to me and a divorce 5 years ago added to my urge to run my otr pay is much better than the hourly pay I got there

True, but the mileage from running open board at an LTL (Con-way doesn't have one) is far better than the mileage truckload pays. I worked for truckload for a little over 3 years before going to Con-way Freight, so I know the pay scale. I make 20 cents more a mile at OD than I did at truckload.