FedEx Freight | "Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Theories... Not facts. So who is shouting you down? I just asked some questions pertaining to the topic. My view is different then yours, that's all. I didn't post sarcastic retorts to Red or CF about your answer or lack there of. I'm willing to listen, with that comes questions. If you don't or can't answer that's cool as well.

Not you Ump. As usual you go with the ebb and flow of the conversation. I was referring to the one's whom still seem to have an axe to grind.

So you're depending on never-guaranteed overtime as a normal part of your day? It's well within the company's right to hire someone to keep overtime down. That's not a non-CDL straight truck issue, they could do that with another truck of any kind.

Nevermind you don't understand no biggie.

We continue to hear about pilot programs, both current and expanding.

I have not yet seen NEW FedEx branded Straight trucks. Still waiting on that. Any current FXFE trucks seem to be CDL due to air brakes, even when GVWR is at or below 26,000.

Example of a long established 2012 model and what to look at, in permit book.

3buFqR9.jpg

Will be interesting to see what is actually coming into the fleet, compared to the current standard.

We continue to hear about pilot programs, both current and expanding.

I have not yet seen NEW FedEx branded Straight trucks. Still waiting on that. Any current FXFE trucks seem to be CDL due to air brakes, even when GVWR is at or below 26,000.

Example of a long established 2012 model and what to look at, in permit book.

3buFqR9.jpg

Will be interesting to see what is actually coming into the fleet, compared to the current standard.
I feel with the current driver shortage that we will continue with CDL qualified drivers across the board. Will we get straight trucks? This is all speculation on EVERYONES part. So like you said it's a wait and see for now.

We do have numerous confirmations of rental units being used in pilot locations. Some said to be rated at 26000. But many at 14,500#.

Now this doesn't guarantee what will make it through testing, but it certainly confirms that "all options" are on the table, just as we have speculated.

For the curious, this is what a 14,500# rated straight truck looks like.

npr-hd_offer.jpg

http://isuzucv.com/en/npr-hd
And this:
ALXsYI9.jpg

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Will we get straight trucks? This is all speculation on EVERYONES part.

Actually, No. Fred Smith confirms, we WILL get them, in a BIG way. The only speculation is exactly what Class and who will drive them...

Well that, AND how any new class would fit into the current driver lineup.

Last edited:
I am not trying to shut down discussion here. However, saying things like "what do you think will happen?" invites criticism. Because not you, nor anyone else actually knows what will happen. I am offering up my experiences on the subject, nothing more. Telling me I don't get it when I've seen it happen comes across as trying to shut down a dissenting voice, if you ask me.
They tell you "you don't get it" because your experience goes against their agenda!! The subject is pure speculation and they use this unknown to push their fear mongering...you see, The Welcher even started a thread on with same topic on the SEFL forum and it only took 3 pages for his real agenda to be revealed!!

Should be interesting to see what transpires....

That's a sad deal, I gained a little more insight from that.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a response from the real drama queen and leader of the real fail gang.
Wasn't sad JD.. The only part that really got to me was being lied to by corporate. Telling us we had no freight only to come in Saturday morning to see 20 at hooked for PT. They have every right to run the company how they see fit but they don't have the right to be dishonest with their employees. Shoot us straight and let us decide our future.

FedEx was a good job, but their is life after. And sometimes the grass is greener!!

Nevermind you don't understand no biggie.
I do understand. You said yourself "my normal ot" as if overtime is your expectation. You don't have a right to overtime, CT. And if you're living in a way that depends on that extra work, you should consider replanning your budget.

If you didn't explain yourself correctly, please do so. But why should you get extra work if freight goes soft? Why shouldn't another driver who's moving less freight and working fewer hours get that freight instead? Are you the kind of person that would see someone else sit at home so you could get a better paycheck?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just trying to understand why you are concerned about losing overtime to a 14,500#gvwr box truck meant for residential deliveries. You say I don't get it. Enlighten me.

I do understand. You said yourself "my normal ot" as if overtime is your expectation. You don't have a right to overtime, CT. And if you're living in a way that depends on that extra work, you should consider replanning your budget.

If you didn't explain yourself correctly, please do so. But why should you get extra work if freight goes soft? Why shouldn't another driver who's moving less freight and working fewer hours get that freight instead? Are you the kind of person that would see someone else sit at home so you could get a better paycheck?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just trying to understand why you are concerned about losing overtime to a 14,500#gvwr box truck meant for residential deliveries. You say I don't get it. Enlighten me.

You don't get it sorry. Your playing both sides of the fence on one hand you say your tired of truck drivers being treated like trash then on the other hand your perfectly fine with a senior guy getting bumped off their run by a person not as qualified driving a straight truck for less money. Just because you've talked to people doesn't make you an expert. Not every terminal is the same our extended runs average about 250- 400 miles and there are 7-9 everyday. If you run one of those runs ot is inevitable not depended upon.

You don't get it sorry. Your playing both sides of the fence on one hand you say your tired of truck drivers being treated like trash then on the other hand your perfectly fine with a senior guy getting bumped off their run by a person not as qualified driving a straight truck for less money. Just because you've talked to people doesn't make you an expert. Not every terminal is the same our extended runs average about 250- 400 miles and there are 7-9 everyday. If you run one of those runs ot is inevitable not depended upon.
Not even close to what he said!!

Where did I say I was fine with a senior guy being bumped off his bid by a guy in a straight truck? I said no such thing. I also never claimed to be an expert, merely that I've witnessed how straight trucks in this class are operated by the carriers that operate them.

Where in the world would it make any sense to bump you off your run in favor of a 14,500#gvwr straight truck? It'd be like watching grandma going to pee, they'd have to return to the service center so often. It'd take probably 3-4x longer to do a run like that with a little box truck. That's not very cost effective, nor does it please the customers.

What I did say was that it's perfectly reasonable for everyone to share the freight when freight is slow. That doesn't mean a straight truck bumping you off your peddle, it means losing a couple of stops to another truck, regardless of classification.

The little Hino box trucks like what SwampRatt posted are not designed for anywhere near that kind of volume. You'd need two considerably bigger trucks than those to do the same volume as you can with a van. The little ones? You'd need 3 or 4 of those to do the job of one tractor with a van. Even if they only paid them $15/hr it'd still cost more than one CDL driver in a tractor. It wouldn't make any sense to replace you with these. One truck would take longer than you, and the number required by volume to replace you would cost more than you.

Believe what you want, but those are the facts. By weight, by volume and by hourly pay a little truck like that wouldn't be practical for that long of a run. Be concerned if you want, but I don't see it being a problem.

And I don't think any 18 year old kid is going to be willing to work twice as hard as you already do for less money. Have you seen how lazy these millennials are? They want to be paid for doing nothing because getting a job is too much work for them. Poor darlings might get triggered out there and need a safe space.

Well, I believe things have cooled off enough its time for another good old cat and dog fight ( pro and con)
CT I see you mention, senior, getting to use your seniority, just a reminder, that didn't exist til those sorry ass
Teamsters came along, all you had to do was be a friend of the boss or have a key to the trunk of the dispatchers car
slip in a fifth of Jack Daniels you got a 400 layover and a shiney B61, no key you got a 130 mi turn and a A50 Mack gas burner.
The key holders got 2400 week you would get 780 about every week, dispatcher always had extra keys, but JD was expensive
on 780 miles. could go on but I hear the bell for round 1 so touch gloves and come out swinging

I guess my question is what defines "significant"? There are what 300+ centers? 2 per center is over 600 trucks which is significant but wouldn't affect hardly anyone.