FedEx Freight | "Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Again you miss the point. The industry is evolving to meet new challenges. This is not your Dad's LTL company with a straight truck. These aren't being put in service to replace anything. They are being used for more white glove, final mile, type of freight; an additional source of revenue if you will. They are a necessity in the 21st century due to e-commerce. They are also becoming attractive to alleviate the shortage of qualified CDL drivers.

Now, that said, when there isn't enough of this type of white glove freight to go around, they will be used for general freight cutting down on earnings potential of CDL A drivers. I guarantee you in slow times they will go out first with the lesser paid driver. It makes better business sense to do that right? You aren't going to run a half empty 48' trailer with a higher paid driver.

Think about this CF, those trucks are more versatile because they can be loaded with general freight, and final mile freight, all on the same route. They can and will be used to make pickups as well.

As far as SEFL, I've already witnessed a man get his route cut in half for these trucks, so it is a possibility they can replace the larger trucks on certain routes. Don't kid yourself. The company will do whatever is most profitable regardless of impact on employees.
Not a half empty van, no, but a full van is cheaper and more efficient than two straight trucks.

The terminal would need to be on the verge of closing to use a straight truck over a tractor, Dick. You're talking about a seriously money-pinched situation. Yes some CDL routes will give up freight to straight trucks, but that is not the same.

You fail to understand the fact that the company cannot afford to replace a CDL driver. There already aren't enough of us to go around. When freight is slow, it's more cost-effective to lay off the non-CDL drivers because they can be replaced when things get busy again. The same can't be said of CDL drivers who are needed for the company to function.

You are right about it not being the LTL of old. But you're only considering this from the perspective of a lower paid driver being paid less, not from the wider scope of a pool of 20-30 drivers of whom no more than a third are likely to be non-CDL. These people can be anyone, anytime. You, as a CDL driver, would be difficult to replace if SEFL chose to lay you off in favor of someone they can hire off the street with zero experience. The carriers know this, Dick. I've talked to a lot of fleet managers over the years and they all say the same thing. They never have enough drivers.

They're finally learning they can't treat us like garbage whenever they feel like it, because we can quit and find somewhere else to work.

Ok, I'll try t o
e x p l a i n
t h i s
s l o w l y.
Is it truly speaking in the third person if there is more than one entity communicating? RC is just a smart assed voice in my head. Sometimes he has his own opinion and it is RC speaking, referenced as RC. Sometimes he and I agree and I will use "we" or "us". When it is my thoughts, it is an I statement.
Ok?
Try to keep up with the conversation.
Yeah whatever.

Not a half empty van, no, but a full van is cheaper and more efficient than two straight trucks.

The terminal would need to be on the verge of closing to use a straight truck over a tractor, Dick. You're talking about a seriously money-pinched situation. Yes some CDL routes will give up freight to straight trucks, but that is not the same.

You fail to understand the fact that the company cannot afford to replace a CDL driver. There already aren't enough of us to go around. When freight is slow, it's more cost-effective to lay off the non-CDL drivers because they can be replaced when things get busy again. The same can't be said of CDL drivers who are needed for the company to function.

You are right about it not being the LTL of old. But you're only considering this from the perspective of a lower paid driver being paid less, not from the wider scope of a pool of 20-30 drivers of whom no more than a third are likely to be non-CDL. These people can be anyone, anytime. You, as a CDL driver, would be difficult to replace if SEFL chose to lay you off in favor of someone they can hire off the street with zero experience. The carriers know this, Dick. I've talked to a lot of fleet managers over the years and they all say the same thing. They never have enough drivers.

They're finally learning they can't treat us like garbage whenever they feel like it, because we can quit and find somewhere else to work.
Sefl has never had a layoff. Instead of a layoff there is one less workday per week on a rotating basis. The straight truck drivers are part of that rotation.

Your still not getting it. Have you ever peddled freight? Say at my center we are fully staffed, they give us 2 straight trucks well there is no extra bills so you add 2 extra drivers who have to drive those trucks. Say i come in 3 or 4 days in a row and my run is given to those straight trucks and I get put on shorter route and don't get my normal ot I just lost a lot of money. Nobody ever said they are going to replace vans.

Your still not getting it. Have you ever peddled freight? Say at my center we are fully staffed, they give us 2 straight trucks well there is no extra bills so you add 2 extra drivers who have to drive those trucks. Say i come in 3 or 4 days in a row and my run is given to those straight trucks and I get put on shorter route and don't get my normal ot I just lost a lot of money. Nobody ever said they are going to replace vans.

I think this is Canadian Flyer, Red Racer, and Ump right now. Of course part of it is they refuse to believe the company might do them wrong and or could make mistakes.
5UxceCY.jpg

How's the road treating you?
I see you can't answer the question posted??? BTW I guess you are invisible since you welched on the bet you had with Hammer. Hmmm?? Seems you forgot the rules of truckingboards. Still want to call people out by name I see. Same old Dick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you can't answer the question posted??? BTW I guess you are invisible since you welched on the bet you had with Hammer. Hmmm?? Seems you forgot the rules of truckingboards. Still want to call people out by name I see. Same old Dick.

By name? Calling someone a young man is a figure of speech down south my friend. As far as the bet, I'll tell you like I told JD, it's none of your business.

As far as who gets to post here and who doesn't, that's out of your hands pal. I, like the many others who don't work at FedEx, enjoy posting on this forum and having discussions with the members. If that bothers you well that's just too bad.

By name? Calling someone a young man is a figure of speech down south my friend. As far as the bet, I'll tell you like I told JD, it's none of your business.

As far as who gets to post here and who doesn't, that's out of your hands pal. I, like the many others who don't work at FedEx, enjoy posting on this forum and having discussions with the members. If that bothers you well that's just too bad.
We shall see PAL!!! Seems to me your still a little SALTY.

We shall see PAL!!! Seems to me your still a little SALTY.

It seems the only one a little salty would be you my friend. It seems you are the one whining about who's posting on this forum. That's usually a sign of someone who can't handle their own in a conversation. Silence the opposition. I wouldn't expect less from a Texas Fan.

If your expecting "normal overtime" that's your problem not your employers. 40 hours a week isn't guaranteed let alone overtime.

No one here believes it is; however, looking at things from all angles to prepare for upcoming changes is smart wouldn't you say?
To a certain extent. So how are you preparing? What can you do to prepare? What angles you looking at?
Metophoracly speaking of course.

I talk to Purple Hammer everyday and he hasn't mentioned anything about letting Dick out of his bet, in fact, it's quite the contrary!!