"Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Discussion in 'Fedex Freight' started by SwampRatt, Jul 1, 2017.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Well-Known Member

I didn't insult him, and Dave didn't say I was weird he said the conversation was. No comment on the bet welching?

2. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

You didn't? Most of us who aren't odd call it insulting to refer to someone as a douchebag. As far as the no comment, I simply asked you a legitimate question, and as typical of you, you become passive aggressive.

3. johndeere4020

I never referred to him as a douchebag, I also asked a legitimate question which typical of you had been ignored.

4. Dick Dastardly

Oh, excuse me. You referred to him as a "deuce bag". I guess that makes it better?

As far as the bet, it's none of your business. What Purple and I may or may not have discussed in private doesn't concern you in the least.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. johndeere4020

Yes we were joking about the meaning of "deuce" bag, RC started it there for he opens himself up to being poked at in return. I've been picked at plenty, if you or him have no sense of humor that's your problem.

6. SwampRatt

SwampRatt Well-Known Member

We've waited for the driver shortage to drive wages higher for a very long time. The trend has only recently had the long forecast effect.

As is typical, challenges often provide opportunity, to those paying attention. I think that the current trend in shopping/shipping does provide challenges (excess home delivery) & opportunity via a larger driver pool (class B, C, non CDL).

The good part? We are in an industry benefiting from the above noted changes & perhaps, the growth will offset the increase in driver pool, making significantly negative effects unlikely.

Briefly, on the topic of 33' pups. Some benefit would be realized, but... We already benefit more from the 40, 48,,and 53' vans' efficiency. I suspect, while on paper the 33s could provide some added efficiency (in city), any expectation of direct and certain increases would require trust in some "grey numbers".

7. LTLIndentured

LTLIndentured Active Member

Straight truck drivers at sefl are only 16-17 per hour. You think FX will pay more than the rest of the market?

Dick Dastardly likes this.
  8. Ump

Ump Big Dave's and Billy Lo's love child.

They already do. Drivers make the same hourly wage driving a set, a pup, a long van or a straight truck.

9. johndeere4020

You freaken drama queen.

Ump likes this.
  10. Dick Dastardly

Because it hasn't been put into effect yet. When the massive amount of trucks hit there will likely be a new class of drivers. SEFL has non CDL drivers in the new straight trucks.

11. Ump

Ump Big Dave's and Billy Lo's love child.

Okay.. So if you have a cdl you get cdl money. Why the worry?
    And what constitutes a massive amount of trucks? 10 to 15 per service center? Also why the push for 33' trailers then.

12. Big Dave

Big Dave Dispatcher for Team BRG-Wong

Yeah. But he has good genetics...

13. citydog

citydog Well-Known Member

So that's southeastern not Fedex!!! We will have to wait and see.

14. Dick Dastardly

Exactly. Now that you all voted no you are at the company's mercy.

15. Dick Dastardly

The reason for the straight trucks is the same as the 33 ft trailers. It's about cutting overhead and saving money. As far as what is a massive amount of straight trucks you will have to ask Ducker.

Why worry? One good reason to worry is straight trucks at significantly less pay taking more freight off of your route and cutting your hours. When it is slow who do you think will go out first?

LTLIndentured likes this.
  16. johndeere4020

Can't argue with that.

Ump and Big Dave like this.
  17. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer Speedy Freightshaker #411

The straight trucks, Dick. I already argued this one. They can't replace a lost CDL driver as it is, they're not going to lay off a CDL city man before laying off two non-CDL straight trucks because it makes no financial sense to use a straight truck to bump a dock. They'd have to pay two straight trucks to do one 48' van's worth of work.

Get back to everyone when you get laid off at SEFL while the straight trucks are still running and maybe you'll have something more than fear to back you up. Right now, you're making open-ended remarks that don't make sense if you actually think a little further up the chain than just the number of drivers and how much they're paid.

If non-CDL straight trucks were really a better alternative to a 48' van, riddle us this. Non-CDL straight trucks aren't a new invention, Dick, so why aren't they already doing what you do for less money if it actually makes sense?

citydog and Ump like this.
  18. Dick Dastardly

Again you miss the point. The industry is evolving to meet new challenges. This is not your Dad's LTL company with a straight truck. These aren't being put in service to replace anything. They are being used for more white glove, final mile, type of freight; an additional source of revenue if you will. They are a necessity in the 21st century due to e-commerce. They are also becoming attractive to alleviate the shortage of qualified CDL drivers.

Now, that said, when there isn't enough of this type of white glove freight to go around, they will be used for general freight cutting down on earnings potential of CDL A drivers. I guarantee you in slow times they will go out first with the lesser paid driver. It makes better business sense to do that right? You aren't going to run a half empty 48' trailer with a higher paid driver.

Think about this CF, those trucks are more versatile because they can be loaded with general freight, and final mile freight, all on the same route. They can and will be used to make pickups as well.

As far as SEFL, I've already witnessed a man get his route cut in half for these trucks, so it is a possibility they can replace the larger trucks on certain routes. Don't kid yourself. The company will do whatever is most profitable regardless of impact on employees.

19. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

Boy, you got that :shit: right.

20. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll try t o
    e x p l a i n
    t h i s
    s l o w l y.
    Is it truly speaking in the third person if there is more than one entity communicating? RC is just a smart assed voice in my head. Sometimes he has his own opinion and it is RC speaking, referenced as RC. Sometimes he and I agree and I will use "we" or "us". When it is my thoughts, it is an I statement.
    Ok?
    Try to keep up with the conversation.