Yellow | Teamsters it's time to retire!

how did weever allow the uion to tell us where we can and cannot work after we retire. I can see not being able to work at another union carrier but not working driving anywhere? that is ridiculous. I am not a driver but I am aware of this stupid rule. This is just an effort by the union to persuade you not to retire. We need to take back over our on union.

We have been losing workers at a steady rate due to retiremement at our barn. We still have quite a problem though. We are in the Western States and have a young barn. By that I mean our (Old Timers) are young in age but have a lot of seniority. They aren't old enough to retire. They need to meet a minimum of "80". That is the combination of your age plus your years of service.

Most of them are so close to retirement now that they can taste it. Personally I would like nothing more than to hang it up. The fact is I can't yet. I need a few more years to earn a peer 80. I pray that I will be able to.

I am one of the "lucky ones" you spoke of. I never had the hardship of having to start over at another company. I hope I never have to either.

It sounds to me that you have it all figured out. For some reason though I question your motives. You stated that you have started over many times in the Union. You should have earned many hours of service on your various tours with different companies then. Haven't you acquired enough time to retire yourself? I have a few more questions to ask. Are you speaking out on behalf of the masses or just yourself? Are you really asking for a system wide retirement or just at your barn? How many will have to retire from your barn until you have the seniority number you are looking for? When you discuss these matters is it with the top 50% of the seniority at your barn or the bottom 50%?

Whatever? Right? For me it will be the same. I will keep on doing what I have done for many years now. I will only work the hours I am forced to while my JR brothers and sisters are on layoff. You will not see a 6th or 7th punch from me. I will continue to fight the good fight just as the teamsters before me did. Without them we would be nothing.

222lifer,
I need less than 3 yrs, that is my motive. I want the same thing others have earned. I was at the top of the senority list #4 with my first union company then started over with CF and worked my way to the top only to start over with yellow now it seems I'm working my way to the bottom. As for what senority number I am looking for, I don't care about a number so long as I can keep working till I get peer 80. As for whom I am speaking for, its obvious its myself.But many at my terminal are in the same boat as I and I can see many worried people around me. I just think that in these troubled times maybe those teamster brothers that have 30 plus years might make that big sacrifice and start enjoying what years of hard work has earned them.

If most of you would understand the scarry part of theses guys not retireing is that they are thinking that if this intergration of the two companies dont work and the company goes down, then the pension goes down with it. All retirees and all that lost their jobs are going to suffer big time. I think the goverment only protects about a third of the pension. So if you have 30 plus years paid in and are expecting to get around 3200.00 a month hold on because you really arent going to like cashing that 1000.00 check. (roughly). I think they figure they should make the big bucks now,(while they can) and see if early spring will give them a better idea of the future of their pension. We all hope they achieve this!

Yellow and roadway teamsters that can retire need to move on.This is the only way jobs are going to be saved. And before people jump on and start talking about medical, that isnt the issue with most all teamsters I've talked to.If they want to keep on working go get another job(or stay at Y-R AND WORK FOR MINIMUM WAGE).Many younger teamsters will lose their jobs because of these GREEDY old timers who do not kwow when its time to hang it up.I would almost be willing to bet that 10% of the work force could be saved by retirements. Not to mention helping the company by getting rid of all these 5-6 week vacations.Many teamsters with sons and daughters working for the company worry about them losing their jobs,yet even they won't cut them any slack and retire.Flame away ,I have no patience anymore for these people. I started over many times in the union and many of these have been lucky enough to work for one company,they dont understand the hardships of starting over. So do the right thing and enjoy what most people will never get.

i get 5 wks vac. but am only 52 can't retire yet, when i can i'll be gone. any one who wants to hang around this friggin nightmare is friggin crazy. end of contract if it lasts that long. so long, outta here, gone fishing:smilie_132:

how did weever allow the uion to tell us where we can and cannot work after we retire. I can see not being able to work at another union carrier but not working driving anywhere? that is ridiculous. I am not a driver but I am aware of this stupid rule. This is just an effort by the union to persuade you not to retire. We need to take back over our on union.

This is an old rule from the day when all the LTL companies were union, the idea is to give a new member a chance to advance rather than have someone collecting a pension and a paycheck. It does seem rather outdated in these times. I am so thankful that we still receive a defined benefit pension, non unions have almost all gone to 401k's. I have heard if a company you drive for after retirement is a "closed carrier" ie they only service their own internal customer networks there is no problem pension wise. Like Ace Hardware, or Wal-Mart. Say you left Yellow and retired on a Teamster pension then went to work for FedEx Freight you could potentially steal customers from Yellow, but on the upside it would be one more union man in the fight to unionize an industry.

Crybabby

Sorry about your luck sonny but I've earned those six weeks. I've attained something that is worth a lot. Security! Why would I give it up? You call it greed but it's something you would like to attain. Seams like you've made some bad choises in your employment selection. I've paid my dues....Quit your crying, act like a man and deal with it!

Sorry about your luck sonny but I've earned those six weeks. I've attained something that is worth a lot. Security! Why would I give it up? You call it greed but it's something you would like to attain. Seams like you've made some bad choises in your employment selection. I've paid my dues....Quit your crying, act like a man and deal with it!

I don't know if I would consider any place on a YRC seniority board secure, but I agree with you. You earned it and it's yours and nobody has a right to tell you when you should retire. I don;t care if I am layed of and a senior man is working 1000 hours of ot it's the way it is and if you don't like it, don't work for a union company because we hold seniority sacred! Unfortunately allot of the younger guys seem to have a little "strike line crosser" in them.

:ontopic:
I would like the senior guys to work if they want to work or retire if they want to retire. I would also hope they remember what their brothers down below are going through, before taking that extra trip or shift.

I've been laid off in Columbus for a year now and the way I feel with Yellow screwing our barn and the union didn't seem to care, the hell with YRC. I hope all junior men who are in my position find good jobs before YRC goes under before any old timers can get a job. With their stock in the toilet, they probably won't make it to spring. I hear from a lot of guys who are currently working that this Utility crap is not going as plan.

I AGREE WE EARNED IT:1036316054: WE DEALT WITH STUFF THESE GUYS WOULD NEVER LAST BACK WHEN WE STARTED :hide:NOW IT GRAVEY TRAIN :funky:SO SUCK IT UP WE DID :chairshot:

you know there be more retire if central states insurance was more inline with cost you know they did away with the 30 and out and with insurance and cut $3000 month back to $2700 month with 30years and insurance and if your under 57 of age the insurance is $1400 a month and you pay taxs on the $2700 so if you have $200 in taxs plus $1400 on ins taking out on $2700 that leave you $1100 a month CAN YOU LIVE ON THAT i know i can't the ins is the killer. plus they will not let you do anything no mom or pop jobs goverment jobs only. after i retired i had to go to work for the state just to pay my ins. you do the math i pay the state $163 month or i can pay c/s $1400 month. plus i make a little bit for state but before you jump on us older guys you need to think someday your going to be here to.you know i don't like working for the state but that the way it go's i need the ins. and it's a lot better than c/s i didn't like starting over at holland after cf shutdown so get off the brothers and sisters back they have put there time in no one gave them there time. they work for it. cf sure didn't give it to me. sorry about going on and on

I dont want to get into it on here, I guess Im neutral, but why in the hell is there a 20 or 30 year retirement offered, It seems to me many years ago that the people that wrote all of this contract stuff up, had meant for peope to retire after 20 or 30 years,Thats why its in there.......if that hadnt been the case they would have just included a minimal amount of years to recieve any benefits.....

Greedy Old Timers? I have lost my job 4 times and this YRC deal will be my second dovetail. If I retire at 60 ,I will have to survive on about 20k a year. No cry babies, I will not retire til it's time. I have paid the price, now it is your turn. Stand proud as a Teamster, do whatever you have to do, to provide for your family. And one day I think you will regret the comments you made here.

NO , as a matter of fact I won't as you put it "quit my whining". I've heard some of the most assinine reasons for wanting to stay such as wanting to work till I'm 80 to beat someone elses record(talk about brain cells pretty much gone)these people have no life outside of work because all they did was work as many hours as possible and didnt have time for hobbies, or their family for that matter. So cfer I really dont care what your opinion is of me. They are the selfish ones and I stand by what I said. And by the way, out here in the west we can work as long as its not freight.

Better do your homework on this one skeet ! Its not that simple.

In a perfect world everyone should save enough to retire at 62 when you receive SS. CS's reemployment rules are a joke.

I'm going to enjoy my retirement, not die in a Truck because I earned it and paid the price. Your choice, just don't take anybody out with you when you have a heartattack in your truck. Enjoy your last years.

I started @ Roadway when I was 19 yrs. old.That was 19 yrs. ago, so that means I will have 38 yrs. in when I'm 57. When and if I get there, I will be more than ready to get the HELL out. But I'm not to hopeful on making it there with this company.