Yellow | Teamsters Say No To Right-To-Work (For Less)!

Guess I was wrong about what you would or would not get if you did not pay dues. To me if you work at a union shop and don't need H&W you should be able to opt out and either not pay dues or get more pay. All I know is I will never pay dues again and if I am somewhere that votes to go union I will quit if I am forced to pay dues. I did not need health care I am already covered and if I was not I could get it through my woman. As far as retirement I worked 5 years at YRC, 2 years at another union shop that was underbid out of a job because they would not take a $1 an hour H&W cut, and 8 seasons at UPS totalling up to 2 years and did not even get vested. One year at YRC I worked the entire year and they did not pay into the pension so I got no credit. Also seasonal at UPS get no benefits and no representation but have to pay dues, the pay has even went down for them at the same time full time pay went up.
My guess would be Free Dumb is a Native American.

How did right-to-work law pass in union-friendly Michigan?

Reuters credits a rookie Republican state legislator, who began his uphill battle nearly two years ago to pass the bill—signed into law on Wednesday by Gov. Rick Snyder—that is expected to dramatically curtail the power of unions in the state. The law makes it illegal to compel nonunion employees who benefit from a union contract to pay dues to the union.

State Rep. Patrick Colbeck, an engineer who took his seat in the Statehouse in early 2011, quickly attracted big-name Republican donors like the billionaire Koch brothers to his cause. Eventually, Colbeck persuaded some of his more union-friendly Republican colleagues to vote for the legislation. Snyder, who ran as a moderate Republican in 2010, said he would sign the bill if it passed, even though he didn't personally join the right-to-work campaign
How did right-to-work law pass in union-friendly Michigan? | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

I'd say it's too soon to know. Yes, the guys get the same benes for now, but until the Contract expires, they can't drop out. When the contract runs out, then the new contract may change everything- including what unions get, and what non-unioners get. No one can possibly know yet, not til 2015??????

Jimmy, you are so far ahead of me on political issues I am uncomfortable asking. You state your economy is growing due to RTW but what I'm hearing up here is that there is only about 2 months of data to base that on and at this point it does not bare witness to the growth you say. The one example touted here was Android Industries. That company would have invested in Indiana because they got the sequencing operation in Fort Wayne no mater what....Just as they did in Michigan. Your living it so maybe you can clear it up for me.

I gotta admit, on my current run I'm not up on Indiana nearly enough as I used to be! I know that Indiana's economy has taken off wonderfully under Daniels, so it's tough to say which is because of RTW, and which already was underway. With Illinois losing jobs,Wisc going after them, and Indiana competing with Mich, I'd say it was a race to get what people could get....

All I know is that PUBLIC Unions getting raises that almost cost my Mom her Pennsylvania farm (Taxes sky-rocketed- my sister bought the place to stop collections). FDR and George Meany pointed out (because of just that stuff) there should NEVER be PUBLIC Unions! Private Unions should exist. Offer enough to attract members. Cut corruption, donating to political parties, and stop acting like jerks to the public. I believe they're on their last legs, and about to fade away. There goes My Pension.....

I gotta admit, on my current run I'm not up on Indiana nearly enough as I used to be! I know that Indiana's economy has taken off wonderfully under Daniels, so it's tough to say which is because of RTW, and which already was underway. With Illinois losing jobs,Wisc going after them, and Indiana competing with Mich, I'd say it was a race to get what people could get....

All I know is that PUBLIC Unions getting raises that almost cost my Mom her Pennsylvania farm (Taxes sky-rocketed- my sister bought the place to stop collections). FDR and George Meany pointed out (because of just that stuff) there should NEVER be PUBLIC Unions! Private Unions should exist. Offer enough to attract members. Cut corruption, donating to political parties, and stop acting like jerks to the public. I believe they're on their last legs, and about to fade away. There goes My Pension.....
Thanks for the reply. All I got to go on is what I get I'm getting over the Radio....Mostly NPR and one has to try and sift thru the BS. I already pointed out some of it, I got more but why go into it, its a done deal. Sad deal about the Farm Jimmy, I understand. Now Snyder just taxed my pension, roughly $800 a year, and pensions been exempt since the early 80s. A new tax so that Business could receive a 1.8 billion break in taxes. If that did'nt bring em running to Michigan I don't see this RTW making much of a difference. Time will tell and if wages do drop, cost of living goes down, it'll benefit my fixed pension anyway. And just because you disagree with me I'm gonna opt for Cremation. :biglaugh:

Thanks for the reply. All I got to go on is what I get I'm getting over the Radio....Mostly NPR and one has to try and sift thru the BS. I already pointed out some of it, I got more but why go into it, its a done deal. Sad deal about the Farm Jimmy, I understand. Now Snyder just taxed my pension, roughly $800 a year, and pensions been exempt since the early 80s. A new tax so that Business could receive a 1.8 billion break in taxes. If that did'nt bring em running to Michigan I don't see this RTW making much of a difference. Time will tell and if wages do drop, cost of living goes down, it'll benefit my fixed pension anyway. And just because you disagree with me I'm gonna opt for Cremation. :biglaugh:
Watch out. His current employer offers MANY alternatives and they have an after life solution for you!

Did you understand Wolf's post? Those who choose NOT to JOIN will still get ALL the benefits, WITHOUT PAYING FOR THEM! So YES they are freeloaders.
I understood Wolf's post. You might want to back off the tough talk about intimidation and refusal of contract protection because these new hires can't vote but they sure can remember all the crap. They can cross a picket line and give you the finger while they are doing it and there is nothing you can do about it.My advice to you is to play nice with the new kids. You will need their support in future contract talks.

Did you understand Wolf's post? Those who choose NOT to JOIN will still get ALL the benefits, WITHOUT PAYING FOR THEM! So YES they are freeloaders.
I understood Wolf's post. You might want to back off the tough talk about intimidation and refusal of contract protection because these new hires can't vote but they sure can remember all the crap. They can cross a picket line and give you the finger while they are doing it and there is nothing you can do about it.My advice to you is to play nice with the new kids. You will need their support in future contract talks.
Let me get this strait....Pointing out that getting a benefit without participating in the process is not honorable is Crap....Go figure.

Let me get this strait....Pointing out that getting a benefit without participating in the process is not honorable is Crap....Go figure.

I think you both are misunderstanding each other, what Dracula is saying is play nice and get the support of the non's, thats what we are trying to do, we don't want to run them off, sorta finesse them, thats a better word.

I do believe that these guys that are committed to the non side and cry to the hall when something happens is BS, so does my local, so they are up a tree, most it not all of them have no clue :)

I think you both are misunderstanding each other, what Dracula is saying is play nice and get the support of the non's, thats what we are trying to do, we don't want to run them off, sorta finesse them, thats a better word.

I do believe that these guys that are committed to the non side and cry to the hall when something happens is BS, so does my local, so they are up a tree, most it not all of them have no clue :)
Ya your probably right....last thing I wanna do is hurt their feelings. :wavey:

Ya your probably right....last thing I wanna do is hurt their feelings. :wavey:

Don't get me wrong Wolf, we finesse them for a while, but if it becomes clear that they want no part of our great local, we drop em like a hot rock, you would be surprised what the members get from the members, I'm friends with some of the nons, but when it comes to work, I will side with and take care of my Brother every time!!

If someone wants to work where I do and not pay dues for what has been negotiated, that is being a free loader. You don't want H&W, you don't need to tajke it. That's not supplied by your dues money but is your choice if you want a copay for insurance or not through the company. So don't take it. It's not a reason for a free ride. IMO if you don't join and screw up, you supplied the rope and the chair. Metaphorically speaking, the least I can do is kick it out from under you.

Stoney pointed it out the Union needs to sell their message......From what I have seen here in just the last few days it appears the RTW crew has done a far better job at telling their story than we have ours.......Truth be damned so they say.

Funny thing is our union has to represent these guys that don't pay dues here at Sysco, however they don't do much for them, they pretty much let them get fired, or ignore the problem they have, seems these suck asses that don't want to belong to our local sure do seem to want them when they get into a ****storm of trouble, problem is the local turnes a blind eye, as they should. I tell guys all the time, "you aren't fireproof, you need to join, someday you may need our local, and if you do all the dues will be worth it", most don't listen, I got no sympathy.

Funny you mention Sysco, I was chatting with a Sysco driver couple days ago making a delivery at a Subway in a
walmart store. He was saying top drivers make around $1800 a week/salary. He went out with 1100 cases on a '42 ft trailer that pays $325.00 if you finish in 4 hrs or 10 hrs. 401 pension..medical. I assumed it was a teamster job. Wrong. They don't want a union. He said the closest teamster operation is in Albany NY..about 150 miles. He was out of Rocky Hill

I was having a 6 inch sub waiting for my wife​

Funny you mention Sysco, I was chatting with a Sysco driver couple days ago making a delivery at a Subway in a
walmart store. He was saying top drivers make around $1800 a week/salary. He went out with 1100 cases on a '42 ft trailer that pays $325.00 if you finish in 4 hrs or 10 hrs. 401 pension..medical. I assumed it was a teamster job. Wrong. They don't want a union. He said the closest teamster operation is in Albany NY..about 150 miles. He was out of Rocky Hill

Yep, piece mile and stop, I make that with 1100 cases on a 42, except they always give me a packed 36', I never get a 42', anyways, our top guys make over 2 grand a week, not me though, I make my money by the hour, I'm to old a driver in the food game to be that fast, I once was, I like as few cases as I can get, and I take my time, I'm safe, I don't get hurt anymore since I quit chasing the incentive I try and make every day a good one, those guys can stay non-union, I'm happy that they are happy. Me, I wouldn't trade local 523 for anything, I have no fear, even if I move slower than the younger drivers, they can't mess with me. Thats a question that you may have neglected to ask the non-union Sysco fellow, they are probably on his ass if he ain't throwing 90 cases per hour, I used to do that but I don't come close anymore, it ain't worth it to me at this point.

Amen thrower, in my youth, I wanted the miles. Now, just down the road and back is fine with me. Give me an older volvo with a good radio, cold air, cruise control, and I am a happy camper.

Just another knock at the unions...Newburgh is Union.Local 294 and I believe they are under the Upstate pension plan..I have run into a few of the non-union guys from Rocky Hill Most are working from 12 to 14 hour days and from what I was told they wish they were union..Having to eat at a Subway in a Walmart..What happened to that great pension you were living on..Oh wait your property taxes probably went up due to those public service workers getting a raise..