TForce | The Crap Atlanta Is Pulling

Some of you guys just have blinders on. You are anti-union and that is it. You talk about pay and slackers, when the union contract is 5 percent of what you speak on. 95 percent of the contract is covering things you " Non-Union" supporters don't know about and looks to me, don't care about. Ask someone to send you a copy and read it. You then will become educated in 100 percent of the information. Ever company when things aren't going well will take advantage of you. This contract sees that it does not happen. Some places go their whole career without a run in with the company or union. But, they know they will always have the backing of a written agreement. Yes, your pay might be with union members but your job security and future of your family is not there.....IN WRITING! READ THE CONTRACT!

line haul guys working the dock!
wake up before it is too late
use your head
HOS rules are very specific

basically it is all you got guys

utilize them for safety's sake as it just might be your family on vacation being drivin off the road for one of these greedy guys

as far as job classifications go
union companies outside of the NY / NJ area are combination in the city operation with the exception of break bulk terminals whereas there is no crossover permitted for obvious safety reasons
the secondary concern is work rules
the non union companies are seeking and employing every option they posess for an advantage competitionwise at their disposal
they basically can do anything they want with you but keep in mind the HOS rules stop them most of the times
even though they take it to the max whenever they can

if they utilize you on the dock excessively driving up your on duty time they stand to lose you the next work day as you have to have the proper time off before driving again
if it is a friday like you said then the 34 hour restart more than likely comes into play for their benefit
what you are experiencing is what the teamsters call a "runaround" and is the very reason the teamsters do not recognize the 34 hour restart
remember the HOS rules are changed periodically for the company's sake not yours
the companies have a strong lobby
the teamsters are suing to stop the implementing of the recent changes to the HOS on the grounds that it undermines safety
which it does
walmart for instance tried unsuccessfully last march to change the HOS thru lobbying their local congressman in Ark. who actually placed changes benificial to walmart's operation up for a congressional vote
thankfully this action inspired a floodgate of negative response and since he wished to avoid bad press withdrew his proposed changes after only three days

as far as the teamsters are concerned they still employ 60 in 7 (city operations) 70 in 8 (line haul operations)

apparently they (upsf) can't get additional dock workers so they are utilizing what is available, namely you or they might just simply wish to do more with less and do not wish to suppliment their workforce
go figure! these companies turn a profit in spite of their bonehead tendacies

congress should be looking into changing the fair labor standards act to include all workers such as interstate trucking workers so they can enjoy the same overtime rules as everyone else but the silence is deafening

christopher3573 said:
Some of you guys just have blinders on. You are anti-union and that is it. You talk about pay and slackers, when the union contract is 5 percent of what you speak on. 95 percent of the contract is covering things you " Non-Union" supporters don't know about and looks to me, don't care about. Ask someone to send you a copy and read it. You then will become educated in 100 percent of the information. Ever company when things aren't going well will take advantage of you. This contract sees that it does not happen. Some places go their whole career without a run in with the company or union. But, they know they will always have the backing of a written agreement. Yes, your pay might be with union members but your job security and future of your family is not there.....IN WRITING! READ THE CONTRACT!

Same old scare tactic. I've been here 24 years and never had to worry about job security like you teamsters seem to do.

I might add the security and future of my family is very good.

Steve,
Good post. These guys who like dockwork in the middle or after their driving shift will be burnouts in time. We are human beings, not packmules. If they need money that bad, chances are that they're living beyond their means or are just plain greedy. If they fall asleep at the wheel running like crazy, probably without breaks, trying to get back before their 14th hour, they'll see just how much the Company appreciated their efforts while they're looking for a new job.

not a scare tactic skeeter
just true

most of the guys like you always state
"i never had a problem with management as i always do my job"
wait till you meet someone in supervision that does not care about that and burns you

most of the guys i know who had similar sentiments also stated to me later "hey you were right" but it was too late

in addition skeeter wait till ups sets the new "tone" for management
you haven't seen nuthin yet but i guarantee you its a comin

big steve said:
not a scare tactic skeeter
just true

most of the guys like you always state
"i never had a problem with management as i always do my job"
wait till you meet someone in supervision that does not care about that and burns you

most of the guys i know who had similar sentiments also stated to me later "hey you were right" but it was too late

Been there took care of it myself. I don't get along with some of the supervisers but they know what and how far they can push. I'll tell you this it ain't very far and they know it.

big steve said:
in addition skeeter wait till ups sets the new "tone" for management
you haven't seen nuthin yet but i guarantee you its a comin

LOL! I just can't wait.

christopher3573 said:

Lets see get it in writing. CF had it in writing. Time DC, Transcon,Willig,PIE,Garrett,Miline,Leeway, I can go on and on and on. So you see that contract of yours don't do a whole lot of good when the company is out of business.

Before you get all out of wind I'm not saying the union put them all out of business
but it sure helped.

Companies need flexibility your work rules stifle the companies productivity. This is what the union should of addressed long ago and it might be a different picture today.

I'm not talking about over the road drivers working the dock either. I don't agree with that either.

If the teamsters would wake up before its to late they might stay around.

Skeeter said:
Same old scare tactic. I've been here 24 years and never had to worry about job security like you teamsters seem to do.

I might add the security and future of my family is very good.
No scare tactics here. Just the truth written down. The Companies are the one that uses scare tactics. Take a look around the world. It is great you have been there 24 years. Things are going to change for you when UPS starts to micro-manage everything your company does. Then lets see how your future or better yet , say your guy on the bottom's future is. You and others that have 20 plus years may be set for the future. You have to look at the whole picture is all I am saying

Skeeter said:
Lets see get it in writing. CF had it in writing. Time DC, Transcon,Willig,PIE,Garrett,Miline,Leeway, I can go on and on and on. So you see that contract of yours don't do a whole lot of good when the company is out of business.

Before you get all out of wind I'm not saying the union put them all out of business
but it sure helped.

Companies need flexibility your work rules stifle the companies productivity. This is what the union should of addressed long ago and it might be a different picture today.

I'm not talking about over the road drivers working the dock either. I don't agree with that either.

I agree with the flexibility. It is there. The rules are written but if both sides agree, there are exceptions to the rules. The union will always be around because companies are greedy and care nothing about the working man just the money. I am talking as a whole, not just one terminal. UPS did not get their billions by being slack and having bad management. They know how to manage 250,000 union members and their benefits and still make more money than all trucking companies put together. Great company, great managers, great union equals longevity

sheesh, this company and that company, yadda yadda yadda, for every union out of business, theres a few non union that went out. While, I would agree that we are not as flexible, but we are flexible. If you look at the industry, to get around a lot of these problems, the companies has advanced in technology and techniques, to make them compete. And make no doubt we are technologically superior to almost all non union carriers. And by the way, there is language in the contract that does allow us to do all work, its just not needed.

it's called combination Serta
amazingly enough despite being non union upsf 's profit for last year was still well below ABF which is a comparable size carrier
it comes down really how management screws up on daily decision making
perfect examples being - one driver making a delivery at a particular stop and another shows up to make a pick up or two guys making a delivery to the same stop
doispatch sending you to a pick up to grab 10 skids while knowing you only have room for two
the customers must think these companies are nuts
things like that are done alot and occur more times than you would think

Skeeter said:
But the fact that you are in the union enables you to possibly sign on to another union carrier without loss of pension or medical benefits. If your job folded tomorrow, where would you go? Who would pick up your pension or medical?....Conway?...Fedex? or would you be starting at square one all over again?

but it sure helped.

What is this? Some sort of disclaimer? In essence, you are saying, that the unions put these companies out of business. The truth is, the only thing that causes a company to shut down is **** poor management. Union and non union alike.

Believe it or not, there was always some degree of flexibilty. Even when I was with Preston, if something had to be delivered at an unusual hour, it got done. Today however, the union is becoming more flexible in as much as it realizes what needs to get done in order to sustain and grow the business of unionized companies. There's a lot of changes coming down the road for the Teamsters.
Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

our line drivers complain about the seniorty thing that they should get first choice to work the dock,,after their 1500.00 check just to make more,,,, takes away from the guy that don't quit hit 40 hrs for the week

big steve said:
amazingly enough despite being non union upsf 's profit for last year was still well below ABF which is a comparable size carrier
perfect examples being - one driver making a delivery at a particular stop and another shows up to make a pick up or two guys making a delivery to the same stop
doispatch sending you to a pick up to grab 10 skids while knowing you only have room for two
There was no UPSF last year, We were still seperate then. UPSF isn't 3 months old yet.

big steve said:
Gee, All this time I thought it was UPSF's normal operational procedures!! :biglaugh: The real kicker here is that we have a hard time covering the pick ups right around the terminal. A case in point is that we lost a big account next to the terminal because we failed to pick them up 2 days in a row. But since we have no accountability, the management (team?):duh:is still intack. Most of them, should be shown the door.