ODFL | The Future!

I enjoy working for OD most of the time.It's not perfect for no mean's so I will keep my opinion to myself.But,I will say one thing.We are our worst enemy and if Upper Management doesn't start listening to there employee's again we will be heading downhill real fast for sure.

What would you tell them if you had the opportunity Kenneth? I see all these comments about management and evil CPT not doing anything. Very few actual suggestions that are common sense driven and are innovative. The people running the show are keeping the big picture in mind. That boils down to being a profitable company. Within that...you need good service, pricing, equipment, employees, pay, benefits, etc. they know that in a company of almost 20,000 now -- you can't please everyone.

What would you tell them if you had the opportunity Kenneth? I see all these comments about management and evil CPT not doing anything. Very few actual suggestions that are common sense driven and are innovative. The people running the show are keeping the big picture in mind. That boils down to being a profitable company. Within that...you need good service, pricing, equipment, employees, pay, benefits, etc. they know that in a company of almost 20,000 now -- you can't please everyone.
Common Sense,Greed is the #1 destruction,Do think that our term's management does need to be moved around.They stay in the same place and position and they do get hard headed and will not listen to great idea's.They just blow you off because they have been in the bussiness longer.Lastly,all rules should be in place for a reason and they should be enforced and everyone should be held accountable.Terminal level will make up rules to keep Corp happy.But,they don't enforce till someone get's hurt

Totally agree with you. I'm tried of dealing with speedy transport. No accountability there when something goes wrong with the paperwork. In the thing is corporate knows about it.
That's the slippery slope with partner carriers, and it depends a lot on how much of the work they do. With Holland and New Penn, Speedy is held accountable because they do all the work in-house. It's their drivers crossing the border, so if the paperwork is screwed it's on them.

With you guys, they only do P&D and domestic moves (usually between Toronto and Montreal, I assume because it's come from somewhere in the US) so I suppose they don't feel like it's their problem. They'd be especially inclined to think this way if they believed their contract with OD wasn't long term.

It's my understanding that Day & Ross felt this way when FedEx bought AF (Day & Ross' partner at the time) and started trying to bully them into expanding operations. They gave FedEx a 5 year plan. FedEx said it wasn't fast enough for them. FedEx tried to buy Day & Ross, and the McCain family (the frozen food company) refused to sell their refrigerated carrier. From 2002-2006 FedEx and Day & Ross tolerated each other until FedEx proved them right by buying Watkins.

Unfortunately for FedEx, when Day & Ross walked away to start working with R+L, they didn't bother explaining to anyone how to do the paperwork (Day & Ross does all their own, for McCain's, R+L and customers) for Customs. Watkins Canada knew how, but Watkins did not. This left FedEx completely high and dry because Watkins Canada couldn't handle the increased volume (we're talking about a carrier that had fewer than 50 trailers spread across Canada doing Watkins P&D and domestic linehaul). So what'd FedEx do? Hijack a bunch of people from Speedy. It still took them 4 years to finally get a grip on the paperwork.

Long story short, these partnerships can be a complicated mess if one side feels threatened.

Common Sense,Greed is the #1 destruction,Do think that our term's management does need to be moved around.They stay in the same place and position and they do get hard headed and will not listen to great idea's.They just blow you off because they have been in the bussiness longer.Lastly,all rules should be in place for a reason and they should be enforced and everyone should be held accountable.Terminal level will make up rules to keep Corp happy.But,they don't enforce till someone get's hurt
Also,we really need to go back to the one on one survey's.OD has started a Human Resource deal that there is a person at term level that report's back to Corp level on any concern's that are not getting addressed at the Term level.That's fine but can I trust a person that has been at the term level and has been put into this position.This position should have been filled by someone from the outside that doesn't report to the term level.

Also,we really need to go back to the one on one survey's.OD has started a Human Resource deal that there is a person at term level that report's back to Corp level on any concern's that are not getting addressed at the Term level.That's fine but can I trust a person that has been at the term level and has been put into this position.This position should have been filled by someone from the outside that doesn't report to the term level.
They are...have been for the most part. Those positions report to DeeDee and the Regional VP.

Also know for a fact that many have been hired from outside.

OMG YES! Our term picked the smart mouthed 25 year old TM's lacky for this position. He only worked as the linehaul dispatcher before this so it wasn't someone from the outside.

OMG YES! Our term picked the smart mouthed 25 year old TM's lacky for this position. He only worked as the linehaul dispatcher before this so it wasn't someone from the outside.
You must be in the OHV! Guy won't even make eye contact when he speaks to you, if you can get his attention away from his phone. To busy on Facebook.

There might be -- you never know.

You can always try talking to Mr No Eye Contact -- see what happens. It's probably in his best interests to keep people happy out there.

Even just trying to talk with the office check in person you're looked down at, dealing with a young college punk terminal HR won't be any different.