ODFL | The Future!

Even just trying to talk with the office check in person you're looked down at, dealing with a young college punk terminal HR won't be any different.

There's hopefully a big difference between the caliber of the office check in person and a regional HR manager.

And just like the Congdons promote and hire family or use to for running the ship, terminals will do the same. Very common to see a mother and all her children working in the same office. So if you talk to one, the rest of the place knows your business also.

Ok gents -- most of u have proven to me that you can't change a negative mentality. I'll leave you all to wallow in that...good luck to you.
It's not a negative mentality to want improvement. Not that we don't have it good, because we do, but why settle. Upper management wants to squeeze every penny out of the OR even though it's already good. I want to improve in my already good job, if that makes me a whiny driver, so be it. I also want to protect the good thing we've enjoyed for the 15+ years I've been here and not watch it swirl the drain because we are so focused on profit. If that means I have a negative mentality, oh well!

Well,you want a honest opinion .So you get it here.We don't sugar coat anything. I got sugar coated when I came to work for OD 12 yrs ago and found out the hard way.I make sure when I have a new trainee or anyone asking about OD now .I always give the un sugar coated version for sure.Works out better that way.They can make there own mind up.

Reactions: DMT
It's not a negative mentality to want improvement. Not that we don't have it good, because we do, but why settle. Upper management wants to squeeze every penny out of the OR even though it's already good. I want to improve in my already good job, if that makes me a whiny driver, so be it. I also want to protect the good thing we've enjoyed for the 15+ years I've been here and not watch it swirl the drain because we are so focused on profit. If that means I have a negative mentality, oh well!

These words right here are great. I agree with you -- we should all be pushing to get better. Unfortunately the tone I hear from a lot of drivers is...us vs them....woe is me...management is dumb...

Totally different message.

Last edited:
Well,you want a honest opinion .So you get it here.We don't sugar coat anything. I got sugar coated when I came to work for OD 12 yrs ago and found out the hard way.I make sure when I have a new trainee or anyone asking about OD now .I always give the un sugar coated version for sure.Works out better that way.They can make there own mind up.

Your honest BIASED opinion -- seen from a very narrow vantage point of your job. Come talk to me when you can see the big picture and understand other people's perspectives.

Your honest BIASED opinion -- seen from a very narrow vantage point of your job. Come talk to me when you can see the big picture and understand other people's perspectives.
I started in the LTL business 14 years ago. Since then I have always heard management say. " you have to see the big picture". Will you please tell me what the big picture is. Cause I have yet to see it.

Kind feels like an us versus them when OD has a big catered tent at the US Open this past summer and invites everyone in the office to attend but not a single driver. Guess they already had people to serve the food and clean the tables.

Though it's not a big deal, but just an idea of where the driver stands here.

Kind feels like an us versus them when OD has a big catered tent at the US Open this past summer and invites everyone in the office to attend but not a single driver. Guess they already had people to serve the food and clean the tables.

Though it's not a big deal, but just an idea of where the driver stands here.
Or all sales and managers getting to go to Disney for a "meeting" while we keep pushing skids. I hear they get Dick Vital as a speaker, I'd love to see him, but I will be busy moving the freight that pays for that trip...

I love hearing about the Florida trips when they all come back talking about a rough week away from home! Glad I'm out juggling huge treadmills on little liftgates instead of that right lol

I love hearing about the Florida trips when they all come back talking about a rough week away from home! Glad I'm out juggling huge treadmills on little liftgates instead of that right lol
yes, tell me more about how hard it was to be away from home while OD buys your drinks and ticket to Disney....I feel for you! To me that trip is low hanging fruit, what does it cost the OR?