ODFL | $$$ The Raise $$$

they said because it cost moore to ensure more drivers cause there more service centers which is bull becasue i read a article about od expanding and growth and they said the more employees the cheaper to insure, my thinking is that they are just doint that to offset the highers healthcare prices they talked about absorbing this year.

In these parts we're up to Par with the big boys working for those giant dying teamster outfits.

BillyLo said:
In these parts we're up to Par with the big boys working for those giant dying teamster outfits.
LOL! Really? Do you have free healthcare? Those dying Teamster outfits all posted record numbers last quarter......and don't their road drivers make a dime per mile more than your's do? Yep, you're right on par.

stldude44 said:
LOL! Really? Do you have free healthcare? Those dying Teamster outfits all posted record numbers last quarter......and don't their road drivers make a dime per mile more than your's do? Yep, you're right on par.

Not anymore... now its 7 cents more per mile...:bicycle: Please get it right next time. ;)

stldude44 said:
LOL! Ok.....man, you guys are really closing in on us!

I went and talked to the guys at the local Yellow terminal... I just cant be part time casual, then get on as full time.. and work the dock for 5 years before I earn the 'right' to drive for them. All the while getting laid off every year. :17:

But the money does sound nice... I just have a pregnant wife to support, and cant do it working only 7 months a year.

FlyByWire said:
I went and talked to the guys at the local Yellow terminal... I just cant be part time casual, then get on as full time.. and work the dock for 5 years before I earn the 'right' to drive for them. All the while getting laid off every year. :17:

But the money does sound nice... I just have a pregnant wife to support, and cant do it working only 7 months a year.
You're just in the wrong place then. Aren't there any road drivers in Phoenix? Maybe they do things differently out there.

Yeah there are road drivers... Thats what I was doing for OD before I went back to P&D... working nights was hell on my wife.

FlyByWire said:

A little suffering now would go a long way later, like when you and that wife want to retire. Let's see OD benefits at $60 per wk is over 3k that you wouldn't be paying out plus a layoff gives you unemployment. Ten percent in your OD 401k might let you live indoors when you retire without benefits.

Beeman said:
A little suffering now would go a long way later, like when you and that wife want to retire. Let's see OD benefits at $60 per wk is over 3k that you wouldn't be paying out plus a layoff gives you unemployment. Ten percent in your OD 401k might let you live indoors when you retire without benefits.
that the only way to look at it. you got to look at the big pitcure.

I think it boils down to this...if your happy where you are then thats all that matters. If someone is happy where they are then why try to convince them you have it better. Ive worked for a company that I watched slowly go under. So at 30 yrs old and a family I couldnt afford to work somewhere where Im on call and getting laid off. But my history may be different then yours. So if Im happy at OD why would you try to convince me otherwise. These back and forth threads are just a waste of time.

kbigdog said:
I think it boils down to this...if your happy where you are then thats all that matters. If someone is happy where they are then why try to convince them you have it better. Ive worked for a company that I watched slowly go under. So at 30 yrs old and a family I couldnt afford to work somewhere where Im on call and getting laid off. But my history may be different then yours. So if Im happy at OD why would you try to convince me otherwise. These back and forth threads are just a waste of time.
if your happy stay happy 10.4

Whoohoo! 2.3 cents.

You know, I really thought I'd improved my life when I switched from OTR to LTL. I did...but I also had no idea that us drivers at Old Dominion are the most profitable LTL company. Yet we make the least compared with the other LTL companies. I learned this in our recent company pay/why the unions are bad meeting.

What happened to trickle down economics? Shouldn't the nation's most profitable LTL company pay the most when compared to other less profitable companies? I exercise my feeble open door policy option, and hear, "I'm sorry. I agree you should receive more pay, but I personally can't give you a raise. I don't make those decisions. I'll pass along to the top." I haven't and don't expect I'll hear back. Whadya bet? I feel cheated and will be applying for a driving job with a union company. Anybody, know who is the best union LTL company to drive for? I'm probably gonna relocate to Dallas too.