FedEx Freight | the seniority process

Here's the way I look at it, National/Watkins had to fill out a NEW APPLICATION when FedEx bought them. So at that time you was no longer a Watkins driver or a National driver you was a NEW HIRE. So in my eyes National seniority started then, might not be right but thats just another way FedEx """"" it's people.

I guess the powers that be really don't care how you look at it!!!!

you are correct, only contractors with watkins had to fill new applications. every orig watkins driver gets the original date of hire

Here's the way I look at it, National/Watkins had to fill out a NEW APPLICATION when FedEx bought them. So at that time you was no longer a Watkins driver or a National driver you was a NEW HIRE. So in my eyes National seniority started then, might not be right but thats just another way FedEx """"" it's people.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Did you keep your AF or Viking seniority when FedEx did this to you? The reason Watkins employees had to fill out applications was FedEx didn't buy the name Watkins. To satisfy DOT, they had to build new driver files with a new company.

dove tail rule is fair for all of us .why we all have to finger pointing this and that ,we all in this together ,none of us have anything to do with this merger .Welcome all national driver that coming in to freight family let shake hand and help each other out we all try to stay survive with this ugly economy o.k.

While dovetailing is fair to the x-national employees, how is it fair to the current Freight employees? Is there going to be anything done to make it more fair to the freight employee that is going to be displaced by a national employee with a few years more seniority? Let's say you have a old Viking driver who has been driving line through all the BS that has gone on for the last 19 years. He's paid his dues.

Along comes a National employee who at Watkins could decide to drive local one week, drive line for the next 3 months, then come back to local. Why should that driver, who could drive line in the summer months then go back to local during the winter be able to take the place of a driver who drove through 19 years of good AND bad weather just because that was what he/she was doing when this merger was shoved down our throats? Doesn't seem right to me.

National folks, once you're here, you'll be doing what it was you were doing when this happened. If you're in the west, I hope you enjoy Snoqualimie Pass and the pass outside of Boise in the winter. You won't be able to take a "safe" local route when the weather gets bad.

If you're coming over as a local driver, get used to taking your lunch 4.9 hours after your start time. No exceptions except through dispatch. You'll get written up after a few infractions. Lunch is the MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU WILL DO DURING THE DAY! Screw the customer and screw production. You WILL take your lunch.

I think there is big trouble abrewin' back east.

Along comes a National employee who at Watkins could decide to drive local one week, drive line for the next 3 months, then come back to local.

You've got it wrong. If a Watkins driver switched boards, they went to the bottom of the board, just like Freight. (I'm going off what a 17 year Watkins guy is telling me)

You won't be able to take a "safe" local route when the weather gets bad.

We had to stay on route, just like you. If Central wouldn't approve it, we didn't go off route.

If you're coming over as a local driver, get used to taking your lunch 4.9 hours after your start time. No exceptions except through dispatch. You'll get written up after a few infractions.

We have been under the same BS rules as you for the last 4 years.

I think there is big trouble abrewin' back east.

You are reading way too much into this. I think you might be looking for trouble were there is none. Just my opinion.

I called HR thursday aft to ask them how the senority would applied. Debra told me everyones company senority would be used to determine how they fall into place. After that everyone would go to their respective job classification based on their company seniority. Since u change job classification without really knowing what coming done the pike u got screwed just like me. I changed from the city to the road 2 months ago. If a fedex national employee has more job classification seniority then u they will jump ahead of u and me. Even if we have more company seniority then them. Does that sound fair to u. Absotuley not!!!. However this deal has been in the works since 06. Its possible this was negotiated at the time of sale to go thru. watkins would not sell to fedex if the watkin employees were not taken care of. That is my theory. Whatever happen to the principal that American Freightways had_-take care of ur employees first. I guess fedex turn its head as they were stabbing us in the back.

I still don't see how this works. If you have enough seniority to keep a job but, not enough job class seniority what happens? You go to bottom of city?

I called HR thursday aft to ask them how the senority would applied. Debra told me everyones company senority would be used to determine how they fall into place. After that everyone would go to their respective job classification based on their company seniority. Since u change job classification without really knowing what coming done the pike u got screwed just like me. I changed from the city to the road 2 months ago. If a fedex national employee has more job classification seniority then u they will jump ahead of u and me. Even if we have more company seniority then them. Does that sound fair to u. Absotuley not!!!. However this deal has been in the works since 06. Its possible this was negotiated at the time of sale to go thru. watkins would not sell to fedex if the watkin employees were not taken care of. That is my theory. Whatever happen to the principal that American Freightways had_-take care of ur employees first. I guess fedex turn its head as they were stabbing us in the back.

That is how freight does it. Lets say you are a city driver and transfer to another terminal, you keep your company seniority but always go to the bottom of the board. My spouse has 6 years employed and has 9 guys underneath him, but 6 of them have more company time than him. It is why I pretty much know he will be "displaced". Only thing seniority is good for is the possibility of keeping your job in a layoff situation such as this, vacation & start times. Thats it.

I still don't see how this works. If you have enough seniority to keep a job but, not enough job class seniority what happens? You go to bottom of city?
Yes

Picture this...,

There are 5 road drivers at a National SC, each of them have between 3 and 5 years company seniority with the same amount of department seniority,(simply put, they are working in the same job class that they started out in). Okay, now you have 5 road drivers at Freight, 4 of which have between 3 and 5 years company/department seniority, but one of them only has 1 year department seniority, and was a city driver for 15 years before transferring to the road, which in turn gives him 16 years overall company seniority. With me so far? Now the company is going to combine their two centers that are in the same market area, and has determined that they will only need 9 road drivers total, the driver with 16 years company time will keep a job as a road driver, but will be at the bottom of the newly combined board, the lowest seniority man of the remaining 9 will be laid off, or possibly offered a transfer to another center that has a position available in line haul, and will be given credit for department seniority. If there is no line haul position available for that driver, he can apply for a position in another department, (city, dock, etc.) that is open, either at his current domicile, or another center, and if he gets the position in another department, he will then be given credit for his company seniority in the event of a layoff, but will be at the bottom of the seniority list in his new department at the time of his department transfer. Furthermore, this person will bid vacation from the position of a 16 year employee, and will also receive all the benefits, vacation time, etc. of same. I think that about covers it.

AW

Picture this...,

There are 5 road drivers at a National SC, each of them have between 3 and 5 years company seniority with the same amount of department seniority,(simply put, they are working in the same job class that they started out in). Okay, now you have 5 road drivers at Freight, 4 of which have between 3 and 5 years company/department seniority, but one of them only has 1 year department seniority, and was a city driver for 15 years before transferring to the road, which in turn gives him 16 years overall company seniority. With me so far? Now the company is going to combine their two centers that are in the same market area, and has determined that they will only need 9 road drivers total, the driver with 16 years company time will keep a job as a road driver, but will be at the bottom of the newly combined board, the lowest seniority man of the remaining 9 will be laid off, or possibly offered a transfer to another center that has a position available in line haul, and will be given credit for department seniority. If there is no line haul position available for that driver, he can apply for a position in another department, (city, dock, etc.) that is open, either at his current domicile, or another center, and if he gets the position in another department, he will then be given credit for his company seniority in the event of a layoff, but will be at the bottom of the seniority list in his new department at the time of his department transfer. Furthermore, this person will bid vacation from the position of a 16 year employee, and will also receive all the benefits, vacation time, etc. of same. I think that about covers it.

AW

He will get his 3 weeks vacation, but he will bid his vacation in job class seniority, so in other words, he will be the last to bid.

He will get his 3 weeks vacation, but he will bid his vacation in job class seniority, so in other words, he will be the last to bid.

No sir, he will bid his vacation as a 16 year employee. He will bid his job as a new hire in the department that he transferred to.