XPO | The truth about whats happening at XCO !!!!!!

Keep up the attitude and you won't have to worry whether or not Con-way unionizes because you won't work here anymore. How much do you think it costs these days to put a big truck on the hook?

My attitude is "I work my butt off for my family, do the very best i can for God and country, I pay thousands in taxes every year, and all i ask from my employer is please forgive me if i drag a DOT bumper, or give it 100% on a delivery and get stuck"

I would say probably about as much cost as one of our leader's to put a hooker on his hook on co. time and still retain his enormous salary.

I see it as not so much as the benifit package being taken away, being treatd with dignity and respect. All of the petty GROUNDS FOR TREMINATION crap. Thats a sign that they want to get rid of their senior drivers. This is the only company I have ever seen or heard of that wants to get rid of their experienced employees while retaining the useless management.

I see it as not so much as the benifit package being taken away, being treatd with dignity and respect. All of the petty GROUNDS FOR TREMINATION crap. Thats a sign that they want to get rid of their senior drivers. This is the only company I have ever seen or heard of that wants to get rid of their experienced employees while retaining the useless management.

I agree Dodge Ram. It blows my mind when they keep coming up with more ways to AX people. Remember when we used to be told this was a driver oriented company? NOW it's a Educated Idiot , Management oriented Company .There is only one MAIN thing I think is still the same as it was when Uncle Jerry was here. Uncle Jerry always said the day Con-Way went Union would be the day he closed the doors. I think THAT is the one POLICY that remains the same.

I agree with this 100% but feel the need to add one piece more.
I have yet to see a LTL company that would spend the money they do to train and screen their employees and turn around and spend even more to get rid of them. I guess we could say their all the same.

I would say probably about as much cost as one of our leader's to put a hooker on his hook on co. time and still retain his enormous salary.
You remember a drive who got busted doing the samething. Asking how to get somewhere can cause a problem.

I remember when I started here I was told that I would be given a good wage are good benefits & a decent retirement & in turn I was expected to give an honest days work in return. this was an agreement & it was how they intended to keep the union out. I personally do not believe they have kept their end of the bargain.
We were given a formula on how if we were in our 20s & contributed a certain amount into our 401K we could be a millionaire when we retired. well those figures were based on a 4% raise every year, we have not been given a raise in 5 years & when we did get raises they sure werent 4% yet they raise the rates 4% for the customer & tell them it is so they can pay our salaries.

" we have not been given a raise in 5 years & when we did get raises they sure werent 4% yet they raise the rates 4% for the customer & tell them it is so they can pay our salaries."- Aggressor
No, not to pay driver and support staff salaries , but upper management who has determined that drivers and their support do not need a raise.

What’s really going on? These are only my opinions. It’s obvious that we have labor issues. They will continue to be a problem too! Management is the cause of most labor disputes. The reason unions exist weather you believe it or not is to protect the worker. Of course corporations nor unions are perfect. However, a union normally keeps management honest. Without them its a free for all. The real reason companies hate labor unions is due to one reason, it effects the bottom-line (money). CNWY will at all costs use all sorts of tactics to say otherwise. Fear is engineered by perception.

I do hope that I am wrong, however there is an underground issue here that is brewing. For the past few years we have been told that XYZ company has had problems. Everyone has been told that this will cause an influx of work which isn’t exactly false but there is more. Of course the hyena’s are waiting for this to take place. Not just for business but for other reasons. My prediction goes like this: When and if XYZ company closes, and the TU flops, CNW will tell us in so many words “To continue to be competitive in today’s economy we must take the necessary steps to protect the company and its stockholders. To do so we must make some decisions that we don’t want to do. Such as, cut you’re wages, raise your insurance, oh and that 401k we promised we wouldn’t get rid of? (Just remember tough times don’t last, but tough teams do.” By the way CNW stole that line from General Motors circa mid 80’s. Another wonderful Michigan company. I am sure there will be some that will say, “Yeah, look at GM they had their share of union problems. Those workers made to much!” Just remember, not only does the union sign the contract, but so does management.) After it’s all done and everyone will be dazed and confused, CNW will go out and buy the best hamburgers and bottle water that money can buy and we will celebrate. History always repeats itself. People have unbelievable short-term memory. Remember the old days? Cost of living raises, good insurance, a pension, sick-days, vacation accruement that wasn’t a business move to save money, a real bonus (not the 25 dollar after taxes gift card that is a tax write off)?

Okay, so I am sure many think I have totally lost my marbles. I probably have, although we all have, if only you think we have it made. At one time we did. Those days are gone. The BORED of directors are laughing to the bank. With all the stock options, and the endless other benefits that they have. Did you know they have fail-safe contracts that protect them if they get fired? What do we get? It used to be a proud place to work. Now it’s just a paycheck.

I know it’s very hard to give a little money to a union, but if this isn’t seriously looked at our well-being is at stake. I really don’t think that a few people will be able to persuade management to give any if not all our benefits we lost back. It will take a majority. The decision is in your hands. Do you want an insurance policy to protect or do you want to pay out of pocket? Either we will pay. Unfortunately like anything if you pay out of pocket it will be more expensive in the future. The moral of this nightmare is: It all boils down to greed, thanks though to education. If we weren’t educated we would be making $5.00/hr. I would rather trust my fellow driver than someone who is trying to climb to the top doing who knows, what. We know that CNW is full of them.

Final note: The good thing about all this is we aren’t alone. Wal-mart, Fed-ex, and Boeing to name a few. Just remember in the near future when they start to fire people due to the GPS option on the handheld don’t say I didn’t tell you so. Figures don’t lie. Liars figure. Safety, only when convenient.

Good luck and God Bless.

It doesn't matter which side of this issue you stand on at this moment, this site is all opinions. You need to do some research, find the history of other organizing efforts within our industry. Those supporting the effort complain about change. But going forward the elements of change will be huge. Efforts focused away from emotions will be easier to steer the course.

Nothing listed as cause for the efforts in XCO get my attention, I've heard it all before. If you want to get my attention quit complaining about everything that happened yesterday and start talking about what will become of tomorrow if you are successful. The debate should not be over people's opinion of how we got to today, but what a third-party's involvement will do for the future.

If you throw a stone in the water the ripple will extend in all directions... it is not stoppable. As I said above do your homework and read into history. Most complaints listed are in part caused by the economy of our country. Those causes also effected other organizations including unions. At the end of the day the company's job is moving freight. Any labor conflicts will be only distractions. And companies like this one have also done their homework and studied history. The mistakes of OverNight's management will not be repeated. All the ra-ra will circle around unity and sticking together. But already I'm hearing "us against them... young against old... you old guys should just leave". Just like the national elections, influence the young, it's easier. To be successful is to be united, who's causes will truely be addressed, employees or third parties?

I am a DSR XCO. I love my job and I enjoy coming to work everyday. If you dont, QUIT! Im so tired of hearing people complaining about their job all the time time.

There is nothing wrong with going to work and being a good worker.. Those of you whom go to work and fight management everyday, well.... you get what you deserve... Just go to work and make your money..I just sit back and watch the same guys *****, *****, and ***** everyday.. I'm ammused by it. I go to work and earn respect everyday. This job is easy money. So, please keep on bitching..I need the entertainment.

It is really quite simple.....Con-way needs to restore the benefits and keep its promises to its drivers and the rest of its employees. Maybe a little pride will return...maybe an employee will feel a little pride (better yet....A LOT OF PRIDE!) in saying the work for Con-way rather then just call it a paycheck or hope like heck they dont fall into a position that gets them fired for a rediculous reason.

In all my years's i never was able to get to the point where it was easy money. So i must ask, beerfd How doe's one get to that point? I was top dog when i left, had the early shift loading all the route's 4-6hrs. and then peddling another 4-whenever usually the dowtown city freight and then making pick-up's. I just can not ever remembering making any of that easy money, please tell us how that is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all my years's i never was able to get to the point where it was easy money. So i must ask, beerfd How doe's one get to that point? I was top dog when i left, had the early shift loading all the route's 4-6hrs. and then peddling another 4-whenever usually the dowtown city freight and then making pick-up's. I just can not ever remembering making any of that easy money, please tell us how that is done.

If I thought it was so easy, I would feel guilt and shame.

I would have to give some back......before they take it from me. Then I would be walking the talk. All I really need is $6/hr to live anyways. The corporation needs it to be more competitive, so what good is all of that excess money, collecting dust, in my local Savings And Loan?

I need to be humbled by my employer.

I agree witih Companyclown to the point that the company does need to restore us back to full benefits and pay raises and I hope they do it sooner than later so as to help quell some of this Teamster talk we're having to engage in right now. As a side note, I heard on the radio last week that the economy grew by only 1.8% and that unemployement is still hovering close to 9%. We're still in hard econmic times and we mustn't allow ourselves to forget this when talking about getting back to 2007 levels of pay and benefits.

I feel that when the economic numbers finally improve, which may take a few more years, the company will be in a position to make good on it's promises. If at this point, the company continues to hold out, then perhaps some of this union talk may be a bit more justified. I hope to God that never happens because I like my job here and I don't want to see conditions deteriorate to a point that the only way employees feel they can be protected by organizing. I'm thinking that if that day ever comes, this company will be so hopelessly F'd up that I would probably seek employment elsewhere.

You would be one of the few. Down here in the south i can count on one hand how many people like working for conway. Do they pay us well? Yea but only if your willing to work 60+ hrs a week. I was in the city for 3 years and i had to work 60 hrs just to pay my bills. The cost of living is expensive down here and you guys make almost $2 bucks more per hour then we do. Would i join the union if offered? Im not sure. I am getting tired of being treated like sh+t every day though. My seniority dosn't mean crap down here except during job selection.

i agree 110% with this statement.i will tell you somthing else your not alone.we have also talked to other union driver to get in contact with the correct personal to get the ball rolling.

the company pension will not return. You should just get beyond the notion and move on. Take any company with a defined benefit plan and research just how solid those plans are in today's economy. Those companies all struggle to maintain balance sheets within their plans as required by the Federal Government. The reasons our company gave for getting away from a traditional pension plan have all come true for those employers who stuck with theirs.

The mentality of a pension plan from 30 years ago can be easily compared to the current spending of the Federal Government and the argument of who will pay for everything in 10 to 15 years. IT IS THE SAME PROBLEM. You can not give away money today or promise to give away money tomorrow without a way to replace said pay-outs... money out must never exceed money in. Pension funds are invested to make money. Have a poor economy, poor performance in the stock market and guess what, you will not meet your yearly obligations to fund your employee's pensions. Now add into this whole discussion the problems I have mentioned and an organization whose ability to pay their pension benefits is based mostly on membership and member's employers. Now factor in today's economy, lost jobs, lost members... lost revenue... ouch. Find a USF Holland driver who retired after the magic date in September of 2010 and ask what they think of their benefits. Did they get what they were promised when they started? If not why not? Who is to blame?

401k and P.T.O. are all products of our current economy and society. Our company did not pull these programs out of their butt to screw anyone. These programs are part of a modern corporate program to be profitable while maintaining policies that operate within the most current Federal Law.

So where is all the wrong doings by the Board of Directors? For all the years I have been receiving my annual report and proxy statement, this one falls right in line with the mission statement of our company. Once again, do some research and read the stinking documents provided by your company TO BETTER INFORM YOU AS A STOCKHOLDER. An advisory vote in favor of executive compensation is not a blank check. Compensation has three parts, Annual Base Salary, Annual Cash INCENTIVE AWARD TARGET, Long-term INCENTIVE AWARD TARGET. Notice the words incentive and target. Read the facts, look at the charts, Con-Way Freight did not reach the goals set for the target value of cash incentives. Sooooo, payout was zero, based on 0% achievement.

I am no different than most reading these boards... just a truck driver. But I try to understand the who's and the whys of our operation. You may feel the need to demand change. For me fundamentally it is a good company but improvements need to be made. And things are in the works to address the engagement of and respect toward employees in a five year project.

everybody keeps on saying what happened 2 1/2 years ago.what we were told from tom clark bottom line was had to come up with money to pay off CFI . with the ecomony being slow our 401k & lost of pay wood be tempory.know what is tempory.i dont know! but sence then we lost vacation time what did we get to repalce
!vaction safe stack new hand helds.im i the only one can see pattern.so what should we do sit back & watch this happen or step forword.every year taxes,food,gas,ect.goes up and we all will so far behind will be playing catch up for rest of our lifes