XPO | The truth about whats happening at XCO !!!!!!

I agree witih Companyclown to the point that the company does need to restore us back to full benefits and pay raises and I hope they do it sooner than later so as to help quell some of this Teamster talk we're having to engage in right now. As a side note, I heard on the radio last week that the economy grew by only 1.8% and that unemployement is still hovering close to 9%. We're still in hard econmic times and we mustn't allow ourselves to forget this when talking about getting back to 2007 levels of pay and benefits.

I feel that when the economic numbers finally improve, which may take a few more years, the company will be in a position to make good on it's promises. If at this point, the company continues to hold out, then perhaps some of this union talk may be a bit more justified. I hope to God that never happens because I like my job here and I don't want to see conditions deteriorate to a point that the only way employees feel they can be protected by organizing. I'm thinking that if that day ever comes, this company will be so hopelessly F'd up that I would probably seek employment elsewhere.
Please remember : If this company uses the government's cost of living formula IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COST OF GAS OR FOOD. When an analyst on TV or radio says we have little or no inflation, they usually DON'T factor in the cost of gas or food. Fuel , food and healthcare cost have went up like crazy, has your pay?

It wont be long before Old Dominion stock value passes Con-Way. If you go union you can watch companies like OD take your freight just like Con-Way took freight from all the union truckers that don't exist today. In this deregulation era it's just nuts to go union in the LTL freight business. Master freight contract is as good as dead. What ever contract you come up with will be worthless. Just look at the Oak Harbor strike.

Cody, It's one terminal that's looking to organize, not the whole company. Does anyone know if XCO is in a state with right to work legislation? Just curious.

It cost alot then also you would think they would not put us in situations to need a hook to get unstuck. Which happens alot and we all know it does. How many times have you pulled out of the yard knowing you should not be going but the fear of losing your job you do .

We got the pay cut back....did we not?? your not saying anything about that. Did YRC get their paycut back. You need to get a life and get another job. If your that insecure with yourself maybe you need therapy. Everything is fine here. I make plenty of money and dont want somebody like you messing it up.
Better yet, buy you some stock and maybe you can be on the board of directors some day.

Oh yeah, and you mention UPS earlier. How can you compare conway with UPS?? Do you know how much money UPS makes compared to conway? When conway makes that kind of money, then I'm sure we'll have that kind of pay..

Your only saying the same things other people are bitching about. You don't know what you are talking about.. It's not that bad. Jeez..
We are not UPS and we are also not YRC either by the way.

the company pension will not return. You should just get beyond the notion and move on. Take any company with a defined benefit plan and research just how solid those plans are in today's economy. Those companies all struggle to maintain balance sheets within their plans as required by the Federal Government. The reasons our company gave for getting away from a traditional pension plan have all come true for those employers who stuck with theirs.

I didn't have any problem with the pension being replaced with larger company contributions to our 401(k). Because of my length of service and age, I was getting 10% of my gross. Now, at a time when I'm very close to retirement, I'm getting 3%. The end result is that I'm having to work beyond retirement age. :hissyfit:

I agree witih Companyclown to the point that the company does need to restore us back to full benefits and pay raises and I hope they do it sooner than later so as to help quell some of this Teamster talk we're having to engage in right now. As a side note, I heard on the radio last week that the economy grew by only 1.8% and that unemployement is still hovering close to 9%.

They're talking about the "core inflation rate" excluding food and energy. I don't know about you, but I have to buy food and energy, and the prices are going way up.

It wont be long before Old Dominion stock value passes Con-Way. If you go union you can watch companies like OD take your freight just like Con-Way took freight from all the union truckers that don't exist today. In this deregulation era it's just nuts to go union in the LTL freight business. Master freight contract is as good as dead. What ever contract you come up with will be worthless. Just look at the Oak Harbor strike.

if what you beleive what you type, than why even be in this industry with a race to the bottom? want to see how fast you can get paid like central transport at 16 bucks an hour, straight time, with crap benefits? keep on pretending that union companies don't set the rates for pay and benefits. but then again, it sounds like you would be happy to steal freight for any price, just as long as you are "competitive", right?

this industry is STILL regulated, its US, the DRIVERS that are the regulators. whatever you and I accept as pay is what they will be held to. and as long as you accept less, it holds everyone back. if conway signed up, and got some solid raises and benefits, than it will put pressure on every other company out there to pay more to attract drivers.

BTW, if you say OD stock prices are going to be coming up on Conway's pretty soon, say goodbye to your OT. They don't pay it, and in order to remain "competitive", you would probably lose yours as well.

I agree witih Companyclown to the point that the company does need to restore us back to full benefits and pay raises and I hope they do it sooner than later so as to help quell some of this Teamster talk we're having to engage in right now. As a side note, I heard on the radio last week that the economy grew by only 1.8% and that unemployement is still hovering close to 9%. We're still in hard econmic times and we mustn't allow ourselves to forget this when talking about getting back to 2007 levels of pay and benefits.

I feel that when the economic numbers finally improve, which may take a few more years, the company will be in a position to make good on it's promises. If at this point, the company continues to hold out, then perhaps some of this union talk may be a bit more justified.

That is exactly what this company needs to do. Restore ALL benefits and start being MORE generous every week on our paychecks or a UNION is what they may get to deal with. I don't know anyone that WANTS a Union, they just want to be treated fairly, paid better, and have a secure retirement. If the people that run this company were smart, they would do it sooner rather than later because later may be too late. I am afraid that the people who run this company have completely lost touch with OUR reality. Do you think that they know how much a gallon of milk costs? Do you think they care? Do you think that the people who run this company are worried about how there employees are going to retire? Do you think that the people that run this company CARE about anything other than the companies stock price and how it will affect their ability to PERSONALLY make money? The people who run this company are in it for the MONEY and are in it for themselves. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THERE DRIVERS,THEY TAKE US FOR GRANTED. If barns start going union,if drivers start standing up for themselves as a group, THEY WILL CARE.I promise you they will care because they might not be able to make as much money.

BTW, I am also in this for MYSELF, all I care about is my ability to persoanlly make money. The difference between myself and the BOD is I can't just give myself a raise because I feel I deserve one.

buffalobill said:
if what you beleive what you type, than why even be in this industry with a race to the bottom? want to see how fast you can get paid like central transport at 16 bucks an hour, straight time, with crap benefits? keep on pretending that union companies don't set the rates for pay and benefits. but then again, it sounds like you would be happy to steal freight for any price, just as long as you are "competitive", right?

this industry is STILL regulated, its US, the DRIVERS that are the regulators. whatever you and I accept as pay is what they will be held to. and as long as you accept less, it holds everyone back. if conway signed up, and got some solid raises and benefits, than it will put pressure on every other company out there to pay more to attract drivers.

BTW, if you say OD stock prices are going to be coming up on Conway's pretty soon, say goodbye to your OT. They don't pay it, and in order to remain "competitive", you would probably lose yours as well.

Yes I believe what I type. I'm at the end of my 40 year career and have watched deregulation bring an end to the union companies. 26 years ago virtually every LTL carrier in my town was was part of the national freight agreement. We were able to virtually shut down commerce with a strike. Those days are long gone and the union has no power. After deregulation it was companies like Con-Way and Viking that moved in and stole, as you put it, freight that cost me my Teamster job. The race to the bottom started with government deregulation and now the biggest teamster LTL company out there pays less than the top non-union carriers. Going union and and giving Con-Way a completive disadvantage is not going to help you in the long run. If I was just starting I would not choose trucking as a career as it is a race to the bottom, union or not.

Yes I believe what I type. I'm at the end of my 40 year career and have watched deregulation bring an end to the union companies. 26 years ago virtually every LTL carrier in my town was was part of the national freight agreement. We were able to virtually shut down commerce with a strike. Those days are long gone and the union has no power. After deregulation it was companies like Con-Way and Viking that moved in and stole, as you put it, freight that cost me my Teamster job. The race to the bottom started with government deregulation and now the biggest teamster LTL company out there pays less than the top non-union carriers. Going union and and giving Con-Way a completive disadvantage is not going to help you in the long run. If I was just starting I would not choose trucking as a career as it is a race to the bottom, union or not.

If the Conway and Viking Drivers would have signed up, we wouldn't have had this race to the bottom, now would we? the only thing that will stop this is DRIVERS standing up, its not anything else. the drivers turned their back on the union, and now look at where you are at.

BTW, the biggest teamster ltl carrier still gets paid better than most ltl carriers around here, considering most of them are lacking either a retirement, good benefits package, or overtime. considering your guys lack of a 401k match, and paying for your benefits that are rapidly deteriorating, yrc still looks like a better overall package to me.

If Con-way did go union,there is no guarantee that anything would be better.As an earlier poster said,contracts are negotiated,so who is to say that we would be better off.I have not been happy with some things that were taken from us.When they froze my pension, i went to my financial advisor and changed how my money was distributed.I only put in to the 401K what the company was matching.I don't have a problem at all with my benefits,much cheaper than the benefits that my wife's employer provides.I make a fine living and think that I am compensated fairly.If you have to work 60 hours a week just to pay your bills, maybe you need to cut some of your bills.When our pay was cut by 5%, i didn't have a problem adjusting. If 5% makes or breaks you, you are living too close to the edge.When they cut our pay and gas prices were nearing $5 a few years ago, I still took my boat out every weekend because i was able to manage my affairs.I don't know where you guy's are working out of , but I come to work, do what is expected of me and no one says boo to me.If the union were to come into Con-way,I would put in my retirement papers tomorrow.

If Con-way did go union,there is no guarantee that anything would be better.As an earlier poster said,contracts are negotiated,so who is to say that we would be better off.I have not been happy with some things that were taken from us.When they froze my pension, i went to my financial advisor and changed how my money was distributed.I only put in to the 401K what the company was matching.I don't have a problem at all with my benefits,much cheaper than the benefits that my wife's employer provides.I make a fine living and think that I am compensated fairly.If you have to work 60 hours a week just to pay your bills, maybe you need to cut some of your bills.When our pay was cut by 5%, i didn't have a problem adjusting. If 5% makes or breaks you, you are living too close to the edge.When they cut our pay and gas prices were nearing $5 a few years ago, I still took my boat out every weekend because i was able to manage my affairs.I don't know where you guy's are working out of , but I come to work, do what is expected of me and no one says boo to me.If the union were to come into Con-way,I would put in my retirement papers tomorrow.

While I have no side as far as union/non-union , our the pay rate doesn't seem to be the issue. The benefits in general , don't seem to be the overwhelming problem. The problem seems to be based on the relationship between management ( all levels ) and non-management. Most drivers and support staff go to work and give an honest days work for an honest days pay. It appears that management has lost sight of the fact that there is no trucking company without drivers. To put it another way , there are situations where a driver can go to work and do what is expected of them and STILL find themselves in a world of trouble. If drivers don't seek union representation , what should be done to let management know that improvements need to be made? How do you make the management at the highest levels listen to the drivers when they don't have to worry about 401k plans and yearly raises? If the union is not the answer ( and it may not be ) what should be done? I know I am a part of Con-Way's success - I would like to share in that success because I share in the hard work EVERYDAY.

buffalobill said:
If the Conway and Viking Drivers would have signed up, we wouldn't have had this race to the bottom, now would we? the only thing that will stop this is DRIVERS standing up, its not anything else. the drivers turned their back on the union, and now look at where you are at.

BTW, the biggest teamster ltl carrier still gets paid better than most ltl carriers around here, considering most of them are lacking either a retirement, good benefits package, or overtime. considering your guys lack of a 401k match, and paying for your benefits that are rapidly deteriorating, yrc still looks like a better overall package to me.

That last line is humorous!

While I have no side as far as union/non-union , our the pay rate doesn't seem to be the issue. The benefits in general , don't seem to be the overwhelming problem. The problem seems to be based on the relationship between management ( all levels ) and non-management. Most drivers and support staff go to work and give an honest days work for an honest days pay. It appears that management has lost sight of the fact that there is no trucking company without drivers. To put it another way , there are situations where a driver can go to work and do what is expected of them and STILL find themselves in a world of trouble. If drivers don't seek union representation , what should be done to let management know that improvements need to be made? How do you make the management at the highest levels listen to the drivers when they don't have to worry about 401k plans and yearly raises? If the union is not the answer ( and it may not be ) what should be done? I know I am a part of Con-Way's success - I would like to share in that success because I share in the hard work EVERYDAY.

All I have ever said since the downturn in moral started is...what's in a name?

HR...ER...you tell me?

Apparently, some of you are brainwashed. Do you really think things will get better if we don’t stand up? Every couple of months we get *****. The big wheels come out with their propaganda and tell us “We have to **** you to continue to competitive.” The real problem not just here at CNW is everyone else is getting *****. So just because one company does it, does that make it right for everyone too? Let’s talk about insurance. At my last employer I paid more than I paid but they paid for everything. It’s a bit of an oxymoron statement although that insurance took care of me. Cigna is like a crack-*****. The money is being spent on the crack. Because of supply and demand the crack prices continue to go up, but does your service?

A few years from now when sub-service replaces all of us and we are all looking for work at Walmart tell me I am wrong.

CNW should change their slogan to “Con-way Freight, the Wal-mart of logistics.”

I don’t know anyone that works at Wal-mart that is wealthy, has good insurance, a decent retirement program, vacation days or overtime. If you do please let me know.

I doubt you would be missed. and as for losing things because everything is negotiated, have you ever seen a union contract? there is something called "maintenance of standards". it means that noting is going to go backwards, as compared to what you already had. you are going to negotiate off of what you ALREADY have, and not go backwards. ......

I dont think a union is going to be the answer here. Its already been done. All it got was the doors closed. A friend of mine has been in the union for almost 20 years. 8 of those he spent without a contract and no raise because they couldnt come to an agreement. When they finally did 8yrs later he got and extra week of vacation, 2 bucks more an hour but they did away with holiday pay. Unions arent all they seem to be. Just someone else digging into your pockets. Im unhappy here like alot of other guys at conway but im not working to pay someone else. Obama is trying to dip into my wallet enough as it is! I should of just went to college and became a Dr. or something.