R&L | Think about this....

Bandit, we work for the same company, really, just under different names...These things you describe, they happen everywhere, in every trucking company, and usually due to poor managers...9 out of 10 times it's the process that's broken, not the person...who would take a guy off a bid because of a bad day?...Hell, managers have bad days, lots of 'em..My last post wasn't directed at you, it was a statement in general, because there are just so many people who will never be happy, no matter what...all any of can do is get up each day, go do the best we can possibly do, hope at the end of the day it was good enough, and go home to our families...I have always said that if at the end of the day you can look in a mirror and say I did the best I could do, then that is good enough...Now, whether that measures up to the needed standards is another matter...If there is something I can do to make a person better against the standard, then I have an obligation to do that first...If that doesn't work, then maybe the issue falls to the person..

Boxboss you have alot of opinions for someone who doesn't work for the company. I know you have been around in the business for quite a while but so have I. I know for a fact that 2 terminals have already taken long time bid city drivers and told them the bid was no longer theirs saying they wern't getting the job done. When asked to prove where R & L thought the job was not getting done they brought up one day. We all have those days. Amazingly those jobs are not going to be rebid. Who do you think they are going to go to? I'll let the drivers and their families know that an outside R & L guy thinks some of us will never be happy. I think they have a reason to be unhappy.

There has to be more to this story. Where did this supposedly happen?

And if they want to save money stop sending the DVD's out telling how to catch more freight. Isn't that what we have salespeople for or are they going to eliminate their jobs to? I know if I go in to my customers asking how and who they are shipping with most would probally tell me to mind my own business and be thankful for the freight I got. The new one about saving fuel is great maybe rather than passing stops 3 times in a day or having 4 trucks in the same park and 3 of them are 20 miles out of there area. I hope the routers and loaders got them thats where they should start. Or they could go for the big money saver (17 million) forget about the race car. But that goes back to the comment what's more important the company(Roberts) or the employees?

It wasn't Nascar that got R&L where it is today... It was one man and one truck:biglaugh:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man do i get tired of hearing that:chairshot:..... OOOOOHHHHHHH and lets not forget the 5000+ employee's that makes this company move everyday!!!!!!!!!

I've seen Mr. Roberts come through our barn a couple of times and he seems to be a down to earth guy. I've heard all the stories about how he started with one truck and built an empire. Todays economy is tough and I'm sure all you guys see how many other trucking companies are going under. Roberts could close the doors, buy an island somewhere, and never have to do another days work again. I think the decisions that are made are for the greater good of the company. There are a lot of things that happen that I don't like but every Friday my check is in my account. He's spent 40 years building this company and I don't think he's going to let it fall. I think I'll ride the storm and if something happens I don't make it then I guess I had better find a way to EARN my pot of gold.

It wasn't Nascar that got R&L where it is today... It was one man and one truck:biglaugh:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man do i get tired of hearing that:chairshot:..... OOOOOHHHHHHH and lets not forget the 5000+ employee's that makes this company move everyday!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with Duck on this...Nascar is something R&L has been doing for only three years now..The company was built long before they started putting money into Nascar. R&L is now using using Nascar to get their name on the national scene..It is amazing to me how many people I talk to who have still not heard of us..

I have to agree with Duck on this...Nascar is something R&L has been doing for only three years now..The company was built long before they started putting money into Nascar. R&L is now using using Nascar to get their name on the national scene..It is amazing to me how many people I talk to who have still not heard of us..
Well i was kind of being sarcastic..... Save the money we don't need NASCAR..... Like i said Ralph didn't need NASCAR when he started the company why use them now.

As smart as the senior Robert's man is for building the company as big as it is, they should have spent the nascar money on national tv like abc, nbc, and cbs. As many nascar fans as there are, not even 50% of the country is a nascar fan. If they weren't such rednecks, they would see that and the word would be spread out to a bigger audience.

And you live in an area where nascar is real big.Up north here the nascar connection don't mean squat to people.Every customer we have up here is from the hard work of people in the company both here and in locations where freight came from.

I think if they did more for the communities that all of the R/L terms are that would help a whole lot more then nascar.Like parades for schools,churchs or something of that nature I think.Maybe I'm wrong or I thing to small I don't know,but I would like to see that happen I would even help in that case ya know And I know alot of you drivers feel the same way alot of us have kids.:1036316054:

Con-way does the "drug awareness week" at schools all over the country every year...that's a good one for community involvement.
And, hey...I am a Nascar fan, almost 30 years now...please do not refer to me as a redneck...I am proud, white trash...please learn the difference...What, you ask is the difference??
White trash saves their money all year to attend a nascar event, hopes for rain and ends up at the biggest wet t-shirt contest of the year...( I have been at a few)
Rednecks simply turn the garden hose on their sisters to achieve the same thing..

Con-way does the "drug awareness week" at schools all over the country every year...that's a good one for community involvement.
And, hey...I am a Nascar fan, almost 30 years now...please do not refer to me as a redneck...I am proud, white trash...please learn the difference...What, you ask is the difference??
White trash saves their money all year to attend a nascar event, hopes for rain and ends up at the biggest wet t-shirt contest of the year...( I have been at a few)
Rednecks simply turn the garden hose on their sisters to achieve the same thing..

maybe thats why they have the nascar deal. it takes alot of money to go so alot of big wigs are at the race on the weekends soo maybe mr roberts knows something. you guys could be like us at estes where we throw hundreds of thousands for a company softball tournament.. no customers see that at all

That is a big thing to call your self.It :1036316054:is just me I would never call my self white trash,but thats just me

I think for the modest budget spent on nascar it keeps the company involved for almost an entire year. Granted not everyone watches the races or even see's R+L on the car but it does last for 10 months each year.

Well, then, get a good laugh out of this...
Out west here, I had no clue who R&L even was until......Yep, saw them plastered all over Matt Kenseth's car, I think at Atlanta, late 2006, I believe...did a little research, read up on the company, and the next thing you know, here they are in my backyard stirrin' it up with the rest of us..Don't discount the nascar involvement...Big time traffic managers and corporate types will go to these events as your guest, and when you are a primary sponsor, there are all kinds of little goodies all race weekend for you and your guests, stuff the rest of us average joes never get a sniff at...and guests like goodies...and they like to keep those goodies coming their way, and the only way to do that is through....more freight...you would not believe how many first timers I have been to a track with, and they come away addicted, just like I did 29 years ago...
And 2nd shift, you may not want to call yourself white trash, I understand, but we all got a little in each of us...do some research, you'll find yourself in a few things...and I would simply tell you to wear the badge proudly...we all do...and incidentally, there is only one way to attach the badge to yourself...duct tape...

Well, then, get a good laugh out of this...
Out west here, I had no clue who R&L even was until......Yep, saw them plastered all over Matt Kenseth's car, I think at Atlanta, late 2006, I believe...did a little research, read up on the company, and the next thing you know, here they are in my backyard stirrin' it up with the rest of us..Don't discount the nascar involvement...Big time traffic managers and corporate types will go to these events as your guest, and when you are a primary sponsor, there are all kinds of little goodies all race weekend for you and your guests, stuff the rest of us average joes never get a sniff at...and guests like goodies...and they like to keep those goodies coming their way, and the only way to do that is through....more freight...you would not believe how many first timers I have been to a track with, and they come away addicted, just like I did 29 years ago...
And 2nd shift, you may not want to call yourself white trash, I understand, but we all got a little in each of us...do some research, you'll find yourself in a few things...and I would simply tell you to wear the badge proudly...we all do...and incidentally, there is only one way to attach the badge to yourself...duct tape...

I respect what you are saying.And I wear my badge proudly I always :smilie_132::smilie

speaking of out west and nascar, we have been passing out these flyers announcing this coming weekend with the r+l car in ca. i have heard the roberts got a pretty good deal on this sponsorship three years ago. i know not everyone is a nascar fan, but not everyone is a football or baseball fan either. in my area the biggest deal is having the hauler and show car visit customers. i had a chance to talk to the husband and wife team that takes this to customers and they said the response was overwhealming. personally, i think its pretty cool to see the company i work for on a national stage with the fedex's and ups's of the world...