ODFL | Time for a PENSION PLAN AT OD

I'm a retired Viking/Fedex Freight road driver. I worked for them almost 34 years. They paid a completive wage, we have a 401K and a pension plan. The pension isn't as good as the Teamsters, but it comes close to my SS. Viking started the pension plan when we went from a privately held company to the stock market. I think upper management knew Viking was an attractive package and would be bought out, which we were a few years later by Rodeway, who almost put us out of business. Now Fedex has bought Viking, AF, and Watkins and once again we are a small fish in a big pond known as Fedex Freight. Most of the older employees from Watkins, Viking, and AF miss the family atmosphere we enjoyed as separate units. Most of the new employees thinks FXF is the best thing since Post Toasties. OD reminds me a lot of how Viking used to be. OD was making money when everyone else was pumping out red ink. The high cost of health care is also a big issue with companies right now. I wish you luck in getting some kind of pension plan. Enjoy being a big fish in a small pond as long as you can. TP

OD has a pension people..Your 401-k.You can put up to 12-15%of your money in it.Od match's a certain %, plus twice a year they add more on the company's profit's.When you retire you recieve a little bonus check based on the year's with company.Want,Want..We give you the sky if you look I enough.lol

You know all picking aside.Holland is a good company .they were making money till Yrc got to it..Maybe ,if the new's is true Holland will be able to show the rest of the group how it's done.I run local&we pick up alot of freight at other LTL&I can say it is a joy to pull into a non-od yard & the people there know why you are there&get's you to a dock door&loaded&out of there.Instead,of the fingering of the mouth by not knowing why you are even there&the back talking of other driver's why are you on our property.
Nope, between military service and my union Holland job, never paid a premium and always had excellent health insurance.

I'm a retired Viking/Fedex Freight road driver. I worked for them almost 34 years. They paid a completive wage, we have a 401K and a pension plan. The pension isn't as good as the Teamsters, but it comes close to my SS. Viking started the pension plan when we went from a privately held company to the stock market. I think upper management knew Viking was an attractive package and would be bought out, which we were a few years later by Rodeway, who almost put us out of business. Now Fedex has bought Viking, AF, and Watkins and once again we are a small fish in a big pond known as Fedex Freight. Most of the older employees from Watkins, Viking, and AF miss the family atmosphere we enjoyed as separate units. Most of the new employees thinks FXF is the best thing since Post Toasties. OD reminds me a lot of how Viking used to be. OD was making money when everyone else was pumping out red ink. The high cost of health care is also a big issue with companies right now. I wish you luck in getting some kind of pension plan. Enjoy being a big fish in a small pond as long as you can. TP

Very true about the big fish.Everybody gets their turn but nothing lasts forever.

kenneth said:
OD has a pension people..Your 401-k.You can put up to 12-15%of your money in it.Od match's a certain %, plus twice a year they add more on the company's profit's.When you retire you recieve a little bonus check based on the year's with company.Want,Want..We give you the sky if you look I enough.lol

Thats about how AF used to do it,they had the match and a discretionary 2% they put in. They did away with that 2% and started a small pension in addition to the 401k. We also got a check when Sharidon Garrison passed away,I thought that was pretty cool.

when are all you union trolls going to realize that od empoyees are happy with the way things are and you guys just need to go wine and complain on your own board
WE DON'T NEED CHANGE AT ODFL

All employees that want to discuss union pro and con go to the ODFL union/non union thread.Any members of Truckingboards wanting to add input do it there if it pertains to OD.Thank you.

Hey . If they won't give u a pension, at least 1.5 pay after 40 or 8. That isn't asking to much....

If you are an employee and don't like it QUIT. If you are not an employee stay where you are. We like you working over there telling your employer how to pay you .

Go ask all the teamster guys with 25 and 30 years at CF and Yellow freight what their teamster pension plans got them, no job and not much left of a company. I will worry about my own 401k if my company, ODFL continues to pay we an excellent wage i will be a responsible educated adult and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for myself, i dont need my company to babysit me and my retirement. If the Congdons have 100 mansions and i have none, i dont care, they have taken those risks to be wealthy and run a profitable buisness and i am just happy to have a job to work for a great company. You people need to start taking personal responsibility for yourself and your family and stop bashing the business owners and just be thankful to be working somewhere. Stop always looking for a quick fix to you not having to work.

Why don't you union guys ever bring up anything negative about the unions, it's always about money and a crappy pension plan that you honestly cant even say if you will have when you retire. I have worked for roadway, i have been there and they wanted me to hire on but i could not live on 30 hours a week, no schedule, possible layoffs and no health insurance. Guess what, none of that happened at ODFL, not yet anyway. The 2 biggest costs of a trucking company as i was told by a Roadway( pre-YRC) manager is wages and fuel. So if fuel is almost 5.00 a gallon and you are making a much higher than everyone else wage, how long do you expect youre company to stay in the black. Lets see if we can all come up with union ltl companies that have gone out of business. I bet we could all list atleast 3 but because you are all worried about how much money you make and what everybody else can do for you, you're union company might be next. I do believe that YRC will be folding up real soon, just my opinion not based on anything but the fact they have lots of debt. In summary we are all drivers supporting our families, you have your ideas and i have mine, i do not care to work for a union and i probably never will and i dont really care if you do. The majority of drivers are happy at OD.

Why don't you union guys ever bring up anything negative about the unions, it's always about money and a crappy pension plan that you honestly cant even say if you will have when you retire. I have worked for roadway, i have been there and they wanted me to hire on but i could not live on 30 hours a week, no schedule, possible layoffs and no health insurance. Guess what, none of that happened at ODFL, not yet anyway. The 2 biggest costs of a trucking company as i was told by a Roadway( pre-YRC) manager is wages and fuel. So if fuel is almost 5.00 a gallon and you are making a much higher than everyone else wage, how long do you expect youre company to stay in the black. Lets see if we can all come up with union ltl companies that have gone out of business. I bet we could all list atleast 3 but because you are all worried about how much money you make and what everybody else can do for you, you're union company might be next. I do believe that YRC will be folding up real soon, just my opinion not based on anything but the fact they have lots of debt. In summary we are all drivers supporting our families, you have your ideas and i have mine, i do not care to work for a union and i probably never will and i dont really care if you do. The majority of drivers are happy at OD.
What does conway pay? Not everthing is great with the union & i do like my job at abf but i like my family more thats why i try to give them the best pay, best insurance & hopefully a decent pension. I to worked for roadway for 10 years i took my lumps & decided to movo on when yellow took over. What im trying to say is you roll the dice & hope for the best if it dont work out at abf i will move on to the next company....

Well,I'm not going to get started.My blood pressure is down&I don't need to raise it .OD employee's speak for themselves&has you can read we are happy where we are at.If we could just keep the troll's out we would be alot better off.
Go to the ABF board click on od vs abf upack & read some of his responces and you will answer your own question post #14 pretty much says it all....

I believe I will just stay at one company&enjoy the ride.Sorry that you have to roll the dice when another one bite's the dust.Good Luck.