Yellow | TNFINC MSG Pension Contribution Discussion

Is anybody really surprised to hear this? This pos company is going to milk you, us, for every dime they can before the locks go on. The pos union will certainly give anything to the company so they can milk your, my dues a few more monthes. Mark my words, they "will" be back asking for more money if they have time. I have no doubt the pos co and union knew this but figured a 10% cut would ram a lot easier(I voted no and took a picture of my ballot for argument sake). Now how much money and time will be wasted for another vote? The first sign of the end is a paycut, then the pension payment halt. Like I said, all they're wage savings are based on 40,000 employees. How many 1,000s have been laid off to cut the savings by Millions? I suggest that all the yes men take another 20% paycut and the pension contributions continue in full. I'll take my retirement a couple of years early while the yes men keep working(I mean showing up)and I collect my check for a while. Damn! I should become a union official with smart me me me thinking like that. Just my humble opinion. PS: Don't our illustrious union officials get their pensions from 3 different sources? Pension funds, local conferences and what, national? So they'll make out just fine on our backs!
Don't be coy you can tell us how you really feel, let it all out we're here for you brother :biglaugh:

:clap:
Is anybody really surprised to hear this? This pos company is going to milk you, us, for every dime they can before the locks go on. The pos union will certainly give anything to the company so they can milk your, my dues a few more monthes. Mark my words, they "will" be back asking for more money if they have time. I have no doubt the pos co and union knew this but figured a 10% cut would ram a lot easier(I voted no and took a picture of my ballot for argument sake). Now how much money and time will be wasted for another vote? The first sign of the end is a paycut, then the pension payment halt. Like I said, all they're wage savings are based on 40,000 employees. How many 1,000s have been laid off to cut the savings by Millions? I suggest that all the yes men take another 20% paycut and the pension contributions continue in full. I'll take my retirement a couple of years early while the yes men keep working(I mean showing up)and I collect my check for a while. Damn! I should become a union official with smart me me me thinking like that. Just my humble opinion. PS: Don't our illustrious union officials get their pensions from 3 different sources? Pension funds, local conferences and what, national? So they'll make out just fine on our backs!

DITTO...

I obviously don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but if I take the memo on face value, and I have no reason to do otherwise at this point, there is nothing happening. But I guess I can read between the lines, like some of you, and assume the worst. Yeah, that's what I'll do. At least that way I will have a lousy Easter weekend. It may all be true, but there is no reason to wait till then when I can make myself miserable now. I already feel better just coming to this realization. Now I must go out and spread my misery. This is not something I should keep to myself.

I do believe you are very intuitive on this matter. At least in part. :busted_blue:

The memo came out late on the 6th....locals got it the next morning for the most part....they take their time to ask questions and get more facts before disclosing it, as in some cases on past memos and news releases, they may send a corrected memo back out to the locals.....none the less, the stock did drop during those 2 days based on rumors, and when the facts came through it all...it started to go back up...see how dangerous a rumor can be?....42 more laid off in Atlanta today for a total of 421...that makes a total of 585 of our freight members laid off in Atlanta as of today....so keep those damned rumors going!...KK

Well those damn rumors really have me worried........I am retiring in exactly 2 weeks on april 24th......hope i get my check in may.....what the Hell should I do??......any thoughts?

I am not an apologist for the international. I think the last contract we approved but they negotiated was **** poor. I didn't support it.
I did support the giveback. The economy not only dipped, but fell of the cliff. The international negotiated in good faith and made their best attempts to get in front of this problem. They made it clear this was a one-time opportunity so it was critical to get it right. But the economy continues downhill and the company couldn't have screwed up the merger anymore than they did.

Understand what is going on behind close doors. This is the nuclear option. Mutually assured destruction. Our elected officials know the significance of hanging the 72-hour strike authorization. It doesn't just blow up YRC, it blows up everything that is NMFA Teamster. ABF and whitepapers and all the locals will be out of business because the pension liability falls to them. Or to put it more appropriately, it falls on them.

We can sit here in our peanut gallery and be critical of our leadership but everyone ought to a big step back and realize the tremendous pressure they are under. Everyone's livelyhood is in their hands and they will be savaged no matter how the decide. Real people will be making this call and we should show a little respect for the situation they're in.

You should be fine. Nothing ever happens that fast in this company.

I just called central states and found out april 15th they will receive marchs contributions and that will give me 65 days for this year and i only need 75 so if the company doesnt pay aprils payments on may 15th i will miss my retirement by 10 days.....i asked if i could pay the $56.00 per day times 10 days out of my pocket and they did not know.......so i am sweating bullets now.......to miss 25 years by only 10 days and leaving my job not knowing if it is paid in......like i say april 24th is my very last day.......:TR10driving03::ranting2::Flame-On:

I just called central states and found out april 15th they will receive marchs contributions and that will give me 65 days for this year and i only need 75 so if the company doesnt pay aprils payments on may 15th i will miss my retirement by 10 days.....i asked if i could pay the $56.00 per day times 10 days out of my pocket and they did not know.......so i am sweating bullets now.......to miss 25 years by only 10 days and leaving my job not knowing if it is paid in......like i say april 24th is my very last day.......:TR10driving03::ranting2::Flame-On:

Why don't you just stay a couple of weeks extra?

Thank you very much and I hope that you and Waggs are right

I'll add one thing to the hysteria, but it is not directed at you. I hope everything works out for you. But here is a scenario that I am familiar with, because it happened to a friend of mine who retired from NW. They went into arrears with their pension contributions for a fairly long period before eventually going belly-up. My friend retired right at his eligible point, not one day later. Unfortunately he was unable to collect his first check for a few months until the company's contributions had caught up to point where he needed them to be. He didn't do enough advanced research to make sure all his ducks were in a row. He just wanted out as soon as he could go and let emotion get ahead of prudence. So this is some advise to all of those who could retire now but keep hanging in there for whatever reason, some justified and some out of pure greed. If this situation does materialize, and with the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise any of us. You might want to reconsider your desire to stay until hell freezes over.

Cant you ask for a waiver from the trustee board on the 10 days? I am sure they would understand the circumstances and give you a pass. Good Luck, I know the feeling a little, I have 34 years but am trying to crawl to the retiree medical age in my local in the North east.

I obviously don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but if I take the memo on face value, and I have no reason to do otherwise at this point, there is nothing happening. But I guess I can read between the lines, like some of you, and assume the worst. Yeah, that's what I'll do. At least that way I will have a lousy Easter weekend. It may all be true, but there is no reason to wait till then when I can make myself miserable now. I already feel better just coming to this realization. Now I must go out and spread my misery. This is not something I should keep to myself.

They may not even need to defer payments but it would be bad business not to ask for it in light of never being turned down for anything you ask for. Like a stray cat, you can't get rid of it by feeding it.

2 Questions you need to ask yourself.

1. Why would they approach only one local as the letter suggests.

2. Were the IBT to grant a suspension in all YRCW companies affected, what would it do to most peoples vesting year.

Pension Arrears

2 Questions you need to ask yourself.

1. Why would they approach only one local as the letter suggests.

2. Were the IBT to grant a suspension in all YRCW companies affected, what would it do to most peoples vesting year.

I agree, they did not approach only one fund. I am sure they hit them all.
Secondly, the IBT cannot grant a suspension of contributions, only the trustees can do that. The trustees are usually made up of 3 and 3 or 4 and 4. 3 from the union and 3 from the employers or 4 from each. Their job, no matter who they work for, is to try and protect the funds for the security of allthe participants. They have a fiduciary obligation to do so and this is covered by law. I bolded the word all because remember not all of the participants are YRC employees. Many come from other employers and industries. If YRC fails to pay their contributions what does that do to the rest of the employers and participants?

Good luck to everyone caught in this quandry.

For some reason I think they want to have to not pay for "everyone " in the pension so to speak......I am playing devils advocate........I think they will say to the union we either can't pay for "everyone" or we will go under......Not saying this is true or right just an opinion..

I think this is a gradual process to eliminate all costs within the company that aren't necessary. What a perfect time to do it when you can cry poor. .40cpm and no benefits is coming soon. $14hr dock workers will be the norm.