TForce | Transfer Seniority

Desert Eagle

TB Lurker
Credits
Just heard today that there have been meetings the last couple of days regarding transfer seniority and the National panels decision. What I have heard is your transfer date becomes your Co. seniority date even at layoff. Has anyone heard the same as I do not agree with this decision.

Just heard today that there have been meetings the last couple of days regarding transfer seniority and the National panels decision. What I have heard is your transfer date becomes your Co. seniority date even at layoff. Has anyone heard the same as I do not agree with this decision.

That certainly seems to go against the Contract and I would find it hard to believe the Union would go alonf with that. Was this a binding arbitration panel or UPS?

Sounds like one of them rumors to me. :popcorn:

article 5 section g. In developing the initial local cartage seniorrity ist in referenced above, the co. shall use the employee's co. seniority date unless a particular employee transferred into his current service center from another service center.In such event the employee's transfer date to the current service center shall be used to develop the list.

article 5 section g. In developing the initial local cartage seniorrity ist in referenced above, the co. shall use the employee's co. seniority date unless a particular employee transferred into his current service center from another service center.In such event the employee's transfer date to the current service center shall be used to develop the list.

Better not transfer then unless you want to start over. :popcorn:

Where have you been? This has been the language since the beginning. For ALL purposes, your company seniority date will be the first day you worked as a full time employee in the service center you are working in now. Company seniority date will be used for layoffs, run bids, vacation bids, etc. Years of service only count toward vacation accrual.

Ask your steward for a copy of the memo of understanding that was agreed upon by the union and the company in regards to layoff purposes. For layoff purposes - seniority classifications are based on company time not classification. even if you transfer from one terminal to another you retain your company seniority.
As far as transfers - I am laid off from the KC terminal and live in Wichita. Checked into a job opening posted for Wichita. Final answer on transfer was - If the Wichita terminal were a union represented terminal, the transfer would have been allowed but since it is not a union terminal - I would have to "quit" and apply as a new hire - loosing all of my seniority. Union terminal to union terminal transfers should be allowed from what I have been told.
I have a copy of the memo of understanding - let me know if you are not able to get ahold of it and I will transfer the content to the post.

That has always been the case the only exception is when you follow your work then you dovetail. It is not something new the company has always said if you voluntary transfer you go to the bottom of the list.

Ask your steward for a copy of the memo of understanding that was agreed upon by the union and the company in regards to layoff purposes. For layoff purposes - seniority classifications are based on company time not classification. even if you transfer from one terminal to another you retain your company seniority.
As far as transfers - I am laid off from the KC terminal and live in Wichita. Checked into a job opening posted for Wichita. Final answer on transfer was - If the Wichita terminal were a union represented terminal, the transfer would have been allowed but since it is not a union terminal - I would have to "quit" and apply as a new hire - loosing all of my seniority. Union terminal to union terminal transfers should be allowed from what I have been told.
I have a copy of the memo of understanding - let me know if you are not able to get ahold of it and I will transfer the content to the post.

I am the steward, and you and your local have been mis-informed. Seniority of transfers have been grieved at the regional and national level and the issue has been settled. The statement I previously made is 100% FACT. Ask your BA.

Where have you been? This has been the language since the beginning. For ALL purposes, your company seniority date will be the first day you worked as a full time employee in the service center you are working in now. Company seniority date will be used for layoffs, run bids, vacation bids, etc. Years of service only count toward vacation accrual.

Your statement is correct.Except run bid is classification seniority not company.

back to the zone driver issue....one post stated "who do they (new zone drivers) need protection from, in most cases its just one driver"! Well how about he company for starters, change of operation procedures to possibly come in future that might effect that driver, etc......We are a Union company everyone of these drivers need to be apart of the Union and it should be grieved about the 150 mile radius postings and we need to remember this company is growing and every new hire should join the movement of the rest of his new brothers and sisters and we should catch them as soon as they walk in the door and get them on board! Remember the contract language that covers orientation for new hires???? USE IT, it was put in the contract for the sole intent to get all NEW hires to check off with the Union and explain to him or her the great attributes of being a Union member and if not that, just plain and simple THIS IS A UNION BARN AND UNION COMPANY SO HERE IS YOUR CARD! Most new hires welcome the Union and thats why they are here and plus UPS is a solid job with a great future in the LTL and transportation industry! If for some reason they gave these new zone drivers higher of pay or something to start remember article 29, and file it if the company takes anything away from these drivers after the sign their cards! Plus remember basic labor law.....if the company takes something away because you joined the Union thru check off or anything else that is a bi-lateral move and file CHARGES WITH THE NLRB! We have to help all new drivers and employees that are covered by OUR contract and the more we have in 5 yrs the move POWER we will have with the Parcel division on the next contract!

Your statement is correct.Except run bid is classification seniority not company.

I know what you are saying, BUT, the direction we are heading (and some already have) is master seniority roster. In that situation the statement I made is true. With that being said, it is based on what your individual terminal proposed for local supplements and works rules.

That says the INITIAL list meaning the first one, it does not specify what happens if an employee transfers after the initial list is made.

Loopholes, Loopholes, Loopholes.

That says the INITIAL list meaning the first one, it does not specify what happens if an employee transfers after the initial list is made.

Loopholes, Loopholes, Loopholes.

I have not seen or heard of any employees winning a decision at panel to keep their seniority from a previous terminal, have you? The managers/stewards out there that are continuing to allow transferees seniority based on when they were hired elsewhere is ludacris! The language pertains to all transfers that occur after ratification and before. Listen, we do not hate these people, it is just a simple matter of attaining seniority for those that have put the labor into building the team that already existed.

Upon layoff at the terminal in Kansas City - I filed grievances relating to Article 5: Seniority in relation to Section 2: Layoffs due to the fact that I had greater "job classification" seniority than an employee who transferred to the terminal from another terminal. I was told that it was not applicable due to the following Memo of Understanding which was faxed to me by the president of our local:
1. It is the parties intent that the phrase "... last employee hired on the affected classification seniority list..." is a reference to the date an individual became a full-time employee with the Employeer, not the date the employee entered the job classification in which the layoff may be occuring.
2. This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) shall become effective on the date it is signed and will be applied prospectively. However, the parties agree that any pending grievances concerning the Company's use of classification seniority to identify employees for layoff, shall be considered settled on the basis of this MOU. The Company shall apply the language in paragraph 1 to those cases and take the steps to notify those employees who need to be recalled. No monetary payments shall be made.
3. This MOU shall not apply to any provisions of the contract other than Article 5 Section 2.
As far as transfers go: As I posted previously, I had inquired on an opening here in Wichita - I talked to the TM here who talked to the TM in KC - I also was left a message from Mike Eastman (regional HR for UPS Freight) who stated that I would not be allowed a transfer due to the fact that the terminal in Kansas City is a Union terminal and the terminal in Wichita is non union. However, I was told by Mike Eastman that if the terminal in Wichita was union - I could transfer but as it stood, if I wanted to, I could "quit" the position I am laid off from and apply as a new hire in Wichita, giving up all company seniority.
Misinformation or not - this is the information being passed down to me from those who should know what they are talking about.
Additionally - it was made known to me by the president of the local that the second in command, just under hoffa, has the power to interpret the contract and make decisions as he sees fit.

I have not seen or heard of any employees winning a decision at panel to keep their seniority from a previous terminal, have you? The managers/stewards out there that are continuing to allow transferees seniority based on when they were hired elsewhere is ludacris! The language pertains to all transfers that occur after ratification and before. Listen, we do not hate these people, it is just a simple matter of attaining seniority for those that have put the labor into building the team that already existed.

You are way off base.....You are worried about a guy who has been part of the BIGGER team for longer than you......Whose is the team? the ones you chose to be on YOUR team. Your seniority date that is used from the DATE you HIRED on. The reasons that YOU are worried about have been part of THE TEAM as you put it longer than you have. If you want to twist it to fit you.......be careful of what you wish for......It is a contract.....you breach one word of it.....you breach it all.....

Upon layoff at the terminal in Kansas City - I filed grievances relating to Article 5: Seniority in relation to Section 2: Layoffs due to the fact that I had greater "job classification" seniority than an employee who transferred to the terminal from another terminal. I was told that it was not applicable due to the following Memo of Understanding which was faxed to me by the president of our local:
1. It is the parties intent that the phrase "... last employee hired on the affected classification seniority list..." is a reference to the date an individual became a full-time employee with the Employeer, not the date the employee entered the job classification in which the layoff may be occuring.
2. This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) shall become effective on the date it is signed and will be applied prospectively. However, the parties agree that any pending grievances concerning the Company's use of classification seniority to identify employees for layoff, shall be considered settled on the basis of this MOU. The Company shall apply the language in paragraph 1 to those cases and take the steps to notify those employees who need to be recalled. No monetary payments shall be made.
3. This MOU shall not apply to any provisions of the contract other than Article 5 Section 2.
As far as transfers go: As I posted previously, I had inquired on an opening here in Wichita - I talked to the TM here who talked to the TM in KC - I also was left a message from Mike Eastman (regional HR for UPS Freight) who stated that I would not be allowed a transfer due to the fact that the terminal in Kansas City is a Union terminal and the terminal in Wichita is non union. However, I was told by Mike Eastman that if the terminal in Wichita was union - I could transfer but as it stood, if I wanted to, I could "quit" the position I am laid off from and apply as a new hire in Wichita, giving up all company seniority.
Misinformation or not - this is the information being passed down to me from those who should know what they are talking about.
Additionally - it was made known to me by the president of the local that the second in command, just under hoffa, has the power to interpret the contract and make decisions as he sees fit.

What Eastman told you is absolutely correct. And even if Wichita were union, you would still lose all of your seniority and be put to the bottom of the list. It is also unfortunate that you have had trouble with this issue and you BA. In the near future it would be beneficial for you to show your BA that several other regions and locals have decided against transferees keeping their seniority.

So was the grievance actually heard at panel? Or was it a matter of your BA shooting it down?

It states in the MOU, last employee hired on the affected classification seniority list. This means the last employee hired at the SPECIFIC location. Remember, if a transfer is filling a vacant or new opening, he is considered to be hired to that terminal. Therefore, reinforcing what the contract states in the article proceeding the language clarifying transferee seniority. Check into this!

does this mean if you work 10 years on the dock and transfer to a driveing position in your same terminal that you will retain your seniority instead of going to the bottom of the list on the driver classification board? is that what there working on, as in a master seniority list?

does this mean if you work 10 years on the dock and transfer to a driveing position in your same terminal that you will retain your seniority instead of going to the bottom of the list on the driver classification board? is that what there working on, as in a master seniority list?
:TR10driving03:..duck my friend :TR10driving03:you now are in :TR10driving03: the line of a $hit storm :TR10driving03: