TForce | Transfer Seniority

Alot of guys like you . Transferred all over the country knowing full well the consistences of doing so .Now hoping to use the contract language to jump up the board with your company seniority. Let me know how that works out for you.

I think you were looking for the word 'consequences'. The consequences for transferring were that you go to the bottom of the board in whatever classification you transferred into. I knew that and that's what I did and never had a problem with it. Until UPS Freight changed the policy regarding seniority a year ago, there was never an issue with it. In fact, the wording of the contract is the same as the employee handbook regarding the definition of your hire date. I do hope it works out because I transferred in good faith under the rules that were in place when I transferred.

I think you were looking for the word 'consequences'. The consequences for transferring were that you go to the bottom of the board in whatever classification you transferred into. I knew that and that's what I did and never had a problem with it. Until UPS Freight changed the policy regarding seniority a year ago, there was never an issue with it. In fact, the wording of the contract is the same as the employee handbook regarding the definition of your hire date. I do hope it works out because I transferred in good faith under the rules that were in place when I transferred.

Thanks for pointing out my bad spelling .But the point of the post is right on .You are trying to jump the board with you company time. RIGHT?? If not I still do not get your issue.

Not sure what you mean by jumping the board because I'm not aiming to go higher on either board with my seniority, just keep my job in the event of a layoff. I have 10 years in, but someone with 4 will keep their job and I go home if a layoff goes that far. Neither UPS nor the Teamsters are playing by the rules on this one.

Not sure what you mean by jumping the board because I'm not aiming to go higher on either board with my seniority, just keep my job in the event of a layoff. I have 10 years in, but someone with 4 will keep their job and I go home if a layoff goes that far. Neither UPS nor the Teamsters are playing by the rules on this one.

layoff goes by company seniority. company seniority holds for that and vacation time. thats why there is a list for classification and a list for company.

layoff goes by company seniority. company seniority holds for that and vacation time. thats why there is a list for classification and a list for company.

yes lay-off goes by company time, but if you have more company time then the guy above you they don't call it "laid-off" they call it "on-call". i was "on-call" last year for 3 months. not laid off due to company time, just baby sitting that phone, while people with very much less company time got to work before me. thanks to good old classification time.

this never happened when we weren't union, " everybody worked everyday no questions asked".
jmo :TR10driving03:

confused about transfer

i been trying to transfer for a year now, and every time my TM and the BA says the company not allowing transfers. They tell me i have to quit and apply somewhere else, i would lose senority and pay and have to start over at bottom of list. So now are yall sayin we can transfer now and keep our same pay but fall to bottom of list. Cause im already on the bottom where im at so it dont matter to me. Can someone explain this to me

They are talking about the transfers pre-union. They allowed us to transfer then, it doesnt seem that they allow us to transfer now. I also have talked about a transfer, but not going to happen anytime soon.

Not anymore. Thats what were talking about here. People who have transferred have had their seniority for all purposes changed to their transfer date.

Not anymore. Thats what were talking about here. People who have transferred have had their seniority for all purposes changed to their transfer date.

I talked to my BA about this issue, and he said that if there is a layoff it goes by company seniority. I even threw up the possibility about the driver with less classification seniority then me, but a transfer from a different terminal. I would be layed off before he would. He has 7 years here, while I will hit 3 years next month.

yes lay-off goes by company time, but if you have more company time then the guy above you they don't call it "laid-off" they call it "on-call". i was "on-call" last year for 3 months. not laid off due to company time, just baby sitting that phone, while people with very much less company time got to work before me. thanks to good old classification time.

this never happened when we weren't union, " everybody worked everyday no questions asked".
jmo :TR10driving03:

In my 29 years with the company we have never seen a recession like this one. I have also seen many people not work everyday over the years. I was one that did not work under the "O" policy's. Every winter people on the bottom of the classification board did not work. When we were "O" we did not call it layoff or on call, It was just plain you did not work and you wondered if you still had a job.

I talked to my BA about this issue, and he said that if there is a layoff it goes by company seniority. I even threw up the possibility about the driver with less classification seniority then me, but a transfer from a different terminal. I would be layed off before he would. He has 7 years here, while I will hit 3 years next month.

The MOU is on page 99 of the pocket contract book .

This is where most of this comes from.

NUPSF-43-09: Local 480 v. UPSF, Nashville, TN On behalf of Eric W., Union alleges a violation of Article 5, claiming that on 10/10/08 the Company laid off full-time employee Eric W. while part-time employees are working 35-45 hours per week.
DECISION: Based on the facts presented, the November 20, 2008 Memorandum of Understanding is clarified as follows. If an employee transfers from one service center to another, his or her date for layoff purposes under Article 5.2 shall be the transfer date. Based on this, the grievant will be offered recall as he was not the least senior person in the classification. There is no backpay.

This is where most of this comes from.

NUPSF-43-09: Local 480 v. UPSF, Nashville, TN On behalf of Eric W., Union alleges a violation of Article 5, claiming that on 10/10/08 the Company laid off full-time employee Eric W. while part-time employees are working 35-45 hours per week.
DECISION: Based on the facts presented, the November 20, 2008 Memorandum of Understanding is clarified as follows. If an employee transfers from one service center to another, his or her date for layoff purposes under Article 5.2 shall be the transfer date. Based on this, the grievant will be offered recall as he was not the least senior person in the classification. There is no backpay.
Refer to MOU on page 99 0f the contract book .It has been fixed.look at the date on this grievance it was last year.

yep dude this is the case ..this is being done across the country ....dont see them backing up on peopl e who transferred before the contract ....but they are/this is something that should come into effect after the contract if i knew this bs was going to happen and screw so many people i never would have back the teamsters up from day one

need help on this

need a copy of this rulling
Ask your steward for a copy of the memo of understanding that was agreed upon by the union and the company in regards to layoff purposes. For layoff purposes - seniority classifications are based on company time not classification. even if you transfer from one terminal to another you retain your company seniority.
As far as transfers - I am laid off from the KC terminal and live in Wichita. Checked into a job opening posted for Wichita. Final answer on transfer was - If the Wichita terminal were a union represented terminal, the transfer would have been allowed but since it is not a union terminal - I would have to "quit" and apply as a new hire - loosing all of my seniority. Union terminal to union terminal transfers should be allowed from what I have been told.
I have a copy of the memo of understanding - let me know if you are not able to get ahold of it and I will transfer the content to the post.

this is going on in cgo also. heard from several dock guys who would like to drive. they were told they would have to quit and get rehired. some of these guys have 3 weeks of vacation time, and full bennies being full timers. they were told they would lose there bennies and vacation time, company seniority and would have to start at 15.05. but in the long run , 3 years they would be making 25 cents more an hour. woohooo UPS really knows how to take care of its employees.

ups ins't allowing transfering of jobs anywhere. everyone is stuck were they are at. no part timers to full time, no dock to drivers, no changing terminals. its great to work for the UPS.

I'm having the same problem with my transfer seniority. Can you contact me with any information regarding the NLRB cases?

yep no more company senority unless u worked on dockat your hometerm then u can bid any where u want

yep no more company senority unless u worked on dockat your hometerm then u can bid any where u want

you can't bid where you want, you have to stay in your classification otherwise you go to the bottom of the board and lose all senority. this is the problem.