XPO | Truck Driving Championship

Whats going to happen when we don't make any money the second or third quarter and all this money was spent on the TDC? Will we the employees expect more givebacks?

Whats going to happen when we don't make any money the second or third quarter and all this money was spent on the TDC? Will we the employees expect more givebacks?

We don't spend that money, we invest it. That means we realize a return.

My guess is that the return is around 140%.......

.....Yeah, that's it! - 140%

Look out TDC here I come. I dont care who's truck they put me in.They might as well but a bullseye on our truck cause that is all I'm aiming for.Has anybody ever totaled a truck at the TDC? If not then I'll be the first.

Look out TDC here I come. I dont care who's truck they put me in.They might as well but a bullseye on our truck cause that is all I'm aiming for.Has anybody ever totaled a truck at the TDC? If not then I'll be the first.

Not at the TDC but I hear it happened in NASCAR truck racing. Just saying. :popcorn: I still think they might be able to buff it out.

TDCs incentivise drivers to stay safe out there...our total spend nationwide for this event is less than the cost of one serious accident...It is about pride and competition. Those of you who were bashing this long before yesterday are just using yesterday as an excuse to bash it some more..Those that enjoy the competition and comradarie will continue to do so...I know, I will hear all the "my competition is out there everyday" stories...Save it...So is those who choose to participate, they just take it a step further...
You are talking about pennies next to the big picture...
1. The fear of losing ones job is incentive enough to drive/work safe.
2. One serious accident could & has, cost us millions.
3. Company pride has been sliding downhill for the past couple of years, personal pride should be going home everyday and saying you did your best. Being able to look at yourself in the mirror knowing you gave everything you had to make sure our customers were satisfied.
4. Why should we not be proud of driving back into the yard every evening or morning, knowing that we did it safely? Is it not a much larger accomplishment by driving safely with all the knuckle-heads day in and day out then it is trying to dodge little rubber ducks or ping-pong balls? Until you have actually got up in the cab (drivers-side not a ride-along) you will never fully understand.
5. Aren't we fighting for our lives to make sure Con-way is still around next year. Every penny counts. At least that's what's being preached. How about we practice what we preach or do we need a gimmic like Lean Sigma Six black-belts to tell us that before we actually believe it?
6.Those that enjoy the competition and comradarie should do so on their own dime. I'm tired of helping fund these gimmics at the cost of my Pension, 401K, wages, etc...

I'm tired of helping fund these gimmics at the cost of my Pension, 401K, wages, etc...

You aren't funding anything... the company is.

With or without the TDC these changes would have been made...we are in the business of trucking...it is the business of trucking to be very competitive. Both in and out of the marketplace...hence the TDC.

If you have folks at your barn participating then by all means get behind them and offer your support.

Rat :loser:

You aren't funding anything... the company is.

With or without the TDC these changes would have been made...we are in the business of trucking...it is the business of trucking to be very competitive. Both in and out of the marketplace...hence the TDC.

If you have folks at your barn participating then by all means get behind them and offer your support.

Rat :loser:

No, WE are funding the TDC when they takeback compensation from us to eek out our survival in these tough times. If your government increases property taxes, are you funding the schools? By your way of thinking, the government is funding the schools.

I never knew that we were in the business of getting dressed up in cute and fashionably coordinated outfits and showing off in an arena in front of our real competitors. Educate me wise one since you said I am ignorant in another thread. What is our return on this investment? You call out others all the time for real numbers so would enjoy that curtesy. Conway often demonstrates that safety is not really a core value, so please spare me that line of BS.

Bragging rights. Yeah, we're big on that. Am sure we brag about our race truck; "Hey did you see what we did to our million dollar race truck? Betcha Yellow or R&L didn't do that last weekend!" Yup, I read on here that when we crash you can't buy that kind of plublicity. I laughed thinking we did with a wrecked million dollar truck.

So teach me, Sport. How are WE not funding the TDC and what buisiness are WE in? If WE get an ICP because WE worked hard, did WE earn it? Do WE wear really nice blue uniforms or does the company wear them? Did I hook the set when I get to work, or did the company? Will YOU participate in the TDC, or will the company?

Disclaimer; I do not know what a crashed NASCAR race truck costs, but am sure it's worth every million we've paid for it.

No, WE are funding the TDC when they takeback compensation from us to eek out our survival in these tough times. If your government increases property taxes, are you funding the schools? By your way of thinking, the government is funding the schools.

I never knew that we were in the business of getting dressed up in cute and fashionably coordinated outfits and showing off in an arena in front of our real competitors. Educate me wise one since you said I am ignorant in another thread. What is our return on this investment? You call out others all the time for real numbers so would enjoy that curtesy. Conway often demonstrates that safety is not really a core value, so please spare me that line of BS.

Bragging rights. Yeah, we're big on that. Am sure we brag about our race truck; "Hey did you see what we did to our million dollar race truck? Betcha Yellow or R&L didn't do that last weekend!" Yup, I read on here that when we crash you can't buy that kind of plublicity. I laughed thinking we did with a wrecked million dollar truck.

So teach me, Sport. How are WE not funding the TDC and what buisiness are WE in? If WE get an ICP because WE worked hard, did WE earn it? Do WE wear really nice blue uniforms or does the company wear them? Did I hook the set when I get to work, or did the company? Will YOU participate in the TDC, or will the company?

Disclaimer; I do not know what a crashed NASCAR race truck costs, but am sure it's worth every million we've paid for it.

Your problem is you can't see past your own anger....you think when the race truck crashes, we write another check..?? We pay a fee to sponsor it, Rousch-Fenway pays to build them and fix them...And when your company name appears on damn near every TV station in America during the sports segment of the nightly news, that is publicity...Maybe it didn't do much in your little corner of the world (if it's not the Indians, the Browns or LeBron, nobody cares) but it did in alot of other places, whether you accept it or not...
When your coworkers compete to become champions in their respective states, it is about personal, professional and company pride, and their company isn't going to show up at the end just to say thanks...They're going to be there every step of the way to support them...And the more people that compete, the more pride to be accident free spreads, and that is an investment in dollars and lives that can't have a price tag put on it...Stop caring about or not competing in this event, watch how fast many stop caring about the little things that keep us safe...

Your problem is you can't see past your own anger....you think when the race truck crashes, we write another check..?? We pay a fee to sponsor it, Rousch-Fenway pays to build them and fix them...And when your company name appears on damn near every TV station in America during the sports segment of the nightly news, that is publicity...Maybe it didn't do much in your little corner of the world (if it's not the Indians, the Browns or LeBron, nobody cares) but it did in alot of other places, whether you accept it or not...
When your coworkers compete to become champions in their respective states, it is about personal, professional and company pride, and their company isn't going to show up at the end just to say thanks...They're going to be there every step of the way to support them...And the more people that compete, the more pride to be accident free spreads, and that is an investment in dollars and lives that can't have a price tag put on it...Stop caring about or not competing in this event, watch how fast many stop caring about the little things that keep us safe...
Maybe LeBron James can drive the truck next year. (I'm sorry Boxboss, I had to say it)

What?

You sure can tell the company neutered you when they hired you. But thats the case with everyone in management at Conway. Brainwashed.

The cost of crashing is already built in to our set sponsorship fee. You gotta think that people in the biz expect a predetermined crash percentage.

You sure can tell the company neutered you when they hired you. But thats the case with everyone in management at Conway. Brainwashed.

If you met me personally, you would take back every word of that...I am about as far from being neutered as there is..Nobody, not even my wife, has me neutered...Brainwashed..?? I think for myself, I think in practical, common sense terms, I do the right thing, or as right as right will allow...You think I am neutered because I refuse to jump on the bashwagon, much as I would like to...

I want Con-way around a year from now, and that is probably going to cost me, much as I hate it..

As far as you go, while you are so busy evaluating others, take a good look in the mirror...

I noticed you started a thread on Tuesday, saying that, well, it isn't so bad, and doing what's best, and blah blah blah...and then, as if you had forgotten who you were, or the stance you were SUPPOSED to take, you jumped on all the rest of the threads bashing left and right..

Make up your mind...

I was trying to be positive......

If you met me personally, you would take back every word of that...I am about as far from being neutered as there is..Nobody, not even my wife, has me neutered...Brainwashed..?? I think for myself, I think in practical, common sense terms, I do the right thing, or as right as right will allow...You think I am neutered because I refuse to jump on the bashwagon, much as I would like to...

I want Con-way around a year from now, and that is probably going to cost me, much as I hate it..

As far as you go, while you are so busy evaluating others, take a good look in the mirror...

I noticed you started a thread on Tuesday, saying that, well, it isn't so bad, and doing what's best, and blah blah blah...and then, as if you had forgotten who you were, or the stance you were SUPPOSED to take, you jumped on all the rest of the threads bashing left and right..

Make up your mind...

In that post, but almost thru up in my mouth when I wrote it. I was joking when I started that thread, if you remember you were evaluating me the day before telling me I needed to stay positive, so I gave it a try, but it didnt work.
You state you want Conway to be in business a year from now. How does supporting the Conway race truck support this company to stay in business? You are so eager to try and get everyone to think on your terms, that when they disagree with you, you try and berate them.
You by far, are the biggest evaluater of other posters on these boards than anyone.
I think this company needed to make cuts to help keep it afloat. But they should have made cuts in other areas first before they messed with our pay, benefits and 401k matches. How could you not agree with that?
Get rid of the NASCAR truck, take away terminal managers cars or buy them Ford focuses instead of Fusions and make them drive them at least 10years (stop leasing) like the drivers have to drive the old trucks. How bout turning the air conditioning off at the terminals in the summer, open windows, we drive trucks without air. How bout not implementing lean 6 sigma. Get rid of extra management at reships, no reason for more than 1 FOS. Im sure others can think of lots more cost cutting ideas.
They say the teamsters took cuts, we shouldnt be compared to them, we operate (work) a whole lot more efficient then they do. You go to a reship at night and watch how much freight is moved by our drivers in such a quick time, its pretty amazing. Everyones busting their butts. This company doesnt appreciate what we do anymore and it kinda pisses me off.

In that post, but almost thru up in my mouth when I wrote it. I was joking when I started that thread, if you remember you were evaluating me the day before telling me I needed to stay positive, so I gave it a try, but it didnt work.
You state you want Conway to be in business a year from now. How does supporting the Conway race truck support this company to stay in business? You are so eager to try and get everyone to think on your terms, that when they disagree with you, you try and berate them.
You by far, are the biggest evaluater of other posters on these boards than anyone.
I think this company needed to make cuts to help keep it afloat. But they should have made cuts in other areas first before they messed with our pay, benefits and 401k matches. How could you not agree with that?
Get rid of the NASCAR truck, take away terminal managers cars or buy them Ford focuses instead of Fusions and make them drive them at least 10years (stop leasing) like the drivers have to drive the old trucks. How bout turning the air conditioning off at the terminals in the summer, open windows, we drive trucks without air. How bout not implementing lean 6 sigma. Get rid of extra management at reships, no reason for more than 1 FOS. Im sure others can think of lots more cost cutting ideas.
They say the teamsters took cuts, we shouldnt be compared to them, we operate (work) a whole lot more efficient then they do. You go to a reship at night and watch how much freight is moved by our drivers in such a quick time, its pretty amazing. Everyones busting their butts. This company doesnt appreciate what we do anymore and it kinda pisses me off.
Right freakin' on brother! Amen!

Again...and again.....and again...and again....you keep repeating the same things that alot of people on these boards, NOT JUST ME, have been over and over..
The race truck is a blip on the cost meter, you will never understand it...How many service centers have you seen that have windows that open..?? Maybe in your neck of the woods, but none out west I can think of..But I do know what happens to human beings that sit in 100+ degree heat with no air movement, and it ain't pretty...But I guess I should see your point and hope nobody dies in the process...Company cars..?? Been over that, I don't really care about it one way or another, could do without one, but I know WHY they do what they do..
One FOS at reships..?? I'm not even going to comment...

The things you listed here might, and I said MIGHT, cut a million dollars a month...we are losing between 10-20 million a month...

Cut the pay and benefits of 15-16 thousand people..?? You don't have to like it, nobody does, nobody more than me, believe me, but do the math, go back and start listing all the things you think will equal that number on a weekly basis, and if you can do it, I will personally walk the 2000 miles to Ann Arbor with your list in my hand and present it to the board of directors..

You have to try and talk them into dropping out. They should be upset enough to see they took from us again, but have no trouble spending tons of money on this. If times are as bad for this company as Conway says it, why would they spend money on the truck driving championship? How can they justify taking our wages and turn around and blow money on this. I dont get it.

It is all about image. This is a big form of advertising and if they can 1000 to participate surely one of them could end up champion. Then they can parade this in all forms of media.

Hey look, we keep shafting our employees and they keep coming to the truck championships. They are so stupid that we can do what we want to them and they just keep coming back for more. Stupid, stupid employees. :duh: