XPO | Truck Driving Championship

Again...and again.....and again...and again....you keep repeating the same things that alot of people on these boards, NOT JUST ME, have been over and over..
The race truck is a blip on the cost meter, you will never understand it...How many service centers have you seen that have windows that open..?? Maybe in your neck of the woods, but none out west I can think of..But I do know what happens to human beings that sit in 100+ degree heat with no air movement, and it ain't pretty...But I guess I should see your point and hope nobody dies in the process...Company cars..?? Been over that, I don't really care about it one way or another, could do without one, but I know WHY they do what they do..
One FOS at reships..?? I'm not even going to comment...

The things you listed here might, and I said MIGHT, cut a million dollars a month...we are losing between 10-20 million a month...

Cut the pay and benefits of 15-16 thousand people..?? You don't have to like it, nobody does, nobody more than me, believe me, but do the math, go back and start listing all the things you think will equal that number on a weekly basis, and if you can do it, I will personally walk the 2000 miles to Ann Arbor with your list in my hand and present it to the board of directors..

Obviously you are the kind of a person that would not pick up a penny if you see one on the ground. The race truck, truck championships, motivational posters and so on. Start eliminating not needed items. Yes, it is easy to make up money easily by robbing your employees. Try taking out a few of the perks. My paycheck is not a perk. I have bills to pay. You pick up pennies and pretty soon you have a dollar.

Obviously you are the kind of a person that would not pick up a penny if you see one on the ground. The race truck, truck championships, motivational posters and so on. Start eliminating not needed items. Yes, it is easy to make up money easily by robbing your employees. Try taking out a few of the perks. My paycheck is not a perk. I have bills to pay. You pick up pennies and pretty soon you have a dollar.

Got a jar in my office, and one at home....never met a penny I didn't like...
I, like you, have bills to pay as well, and do not see my pay as a perk...You don't know me at all...

Think about it...if you are losing 10 million at a clip, and you eliminate all the things you just mentioned that don't even add up to a million a month, is that gonna do it..?? If we were losing a million a month, I would be right there in line behind you screaming to get rid of the other things first...but we aren't, which makes the formula a much harsher one, and the worst one for us to accept..
The race truck is paid for, over a year ago...the contract was for 2 years, up at the end of the season...let's see what happens then...

Got a jar in my office, and one at home....never met a penny I didn't like...
I, like you, have bills to pay as well, and do not see my pay as a perk...You don't know me at all...

Think about it...if you are losing 10 million at a clip, and you eliminate all the things you just mentioned that don't even add up to a million a month, is that gonna do it..?? If we were losing a million a month, I would be right there in line behind you screaming to get rid of the other things first...but we aren't, which makes the formula a much harsher one, and the worst one for us to accept..
The race truck is paid for, over a year ago...the contract was for 2 years, up at the end of the season...let's see what happens then...

Yes, I do know that you have to do more than just the little things but, you start with the little things. I know that I could take a cut much easier if I saw all the other crap go away. Yes, the contract is paid for the truck in advance but not for two years. It is a year by year contract. How I know this is that I had lunch with John Labrie the year before last and they were actually considering sponsoring the whole truck series. Yes, it was almost called the Conway Freight truck series instead of the Campingworld truck series.

This whole thing is hard for me to swallow. I would do better if I were to see some of the other perks go away. It is like me buying beer and cigarettes with my money and then using food stamps to pay for the food. The beer and cigarettes are not going to amount to so much that if I did do away with them I could still pay my mortgage but do away with the beer and cigarettes and use that money to pay for the food. If you still run short then I am not going to b*tch about you using food stamps. :USA:

Yes, I do know that you have to do more than just the little things but, you start with the little things. I know that I could take a cut much easier if I saw all the other crap go away. Yes, the contract is paid for the truck in advance but not for two years. It is a year by year contract. How I know this is that I had lunch with John Labrie the year before last and they were actually considering sponsoring the whole truck series. Yes, it was almost called the Conway Freight truck series instead of the Campingworld truck series.

This whole thing is hard for me to swallow. I would do better if I were to see some of the other perks go away. It is like me buying beer and cigarettes with my money and then using food stamps to pay for the food. The beer and cigarettes are not going to amount to so much that if I did do away with them I could still pay my mortgage but do away with the beer and cigarettes and use that money to pay for the food. If you still run short then I am not going to b*tch about you using food stamps. :USA:

Year before last we were still with Wyler racing...the deal with Rousch announced on tv was for 2 years...
And quit talking about food stamps...now you are depressing me..

I wonder how many companies will be in the World's Largest Truck Convoy for Special Olympics.I hope Conway doesn't cut back on that.They had a good turnout in Charlotte last year.

Year before last we were still with Wyler racing...the deal with Rousch announced on tv was for 2 years...
And quit talking about food stamps...now you are depressing me..

One year with Wyler and one year with Rousch. This year it was a question which way they were going to go. Got it right from the president. This was not rumor. :smilies-19296:

Check your history...2 years with Wyler, one year and into a second with Rousch...

Okay, 2 years with Wyler. I am not going to argue and at this point it really is not what I was talking about. My original statement was that it was not a 2 year contract with Rousch. Conway was considering sponsoring the truck series this year. That's all.

Okay, 2 years with Wyler. I am not going to argue and at this point it really is not what I was talking about. My original statement was that it was not a 2 year contract with Rousch. Conway was considering sponsoring the truck series this year. That's all.

Too expensive...But the exposure would be amazing..

everyone keep in mind we are dealing with brand recognition..... fedex is not better than con-way....ups is not better than con-way but they are both precived better due to name recogniton... the money spent is well spent if it puts our name out there...if you recall before these to mega names came to our market we spent our money on only novelty items. that will not cut it anymore. its a new game play it or quit playing.

everyone keep in mind we are dealing with brand recognition..... fedex is not better than con-way....ups is not better than con-way but they are both precived better due to name recogniton... the money spent is well spent if it puts our name out there...if you recall before these to mega names came to our market we spent our money on only novelty items. that will not cut it anymore. its a new game play it or quit playing.

If we were a package carrier, I would probably agree with you.

Guys at my barn are telling the TM and Regional man that they'll participate if they let them drive the old trucks during the rodeo. They don't want to give the wrong impression on what kind of equipment they know how to drive. Speaking of which, notice there are no "video's" or pamphlets showing off our drivers in the dinosaurs they are actually driving on the highway. They didn't even bother to change the color or logo to the new and improved Con-way "Blues". Maybe cost to much...huh...who would've thunk it!

Guys at my barn are telling the TM and Regional man that they'll participate if they let them drive the old trucks during the rodeo. They don't want to give the wrong impression on what kind of equipment they know how to drive. Speaking of which, notice there are no "video's" or pamphlets showing off our drivers in the dinosaurs they are actually driving on the highway. They didn't even bother to change the color or logo to the new and improved Con-way "Blues". Maybe cost to much...huh...who would've thunk it!

yeah, makes me proud to drive these old goats. I look so funny going up and down the road. Once side of the truck is all white with the new logo on the door and the other side has the new logo on the door and the old blue stripe. Now the wind deflector on that same side has the old blue and orange stripe on it. Classy looking no doubt! :loser:

Compared to what us old farts drove in the 60's and 70's you guys are driving new K W'S. .I saw a older Sterling around Hershey Pa , it was washed and looked pretty good.I will now go and mind my own business.

Yes the old junk that all the LTL's had back in the day,is something I can relate too.
I got my first union LTL city driving job in 1966.
No power steering,or air-conditioning.
Also some gear boxes if you missed a shift,which was easy to do.
You had to pull over,and start over.

Oh yes that (B) Modle Mack with the twin gear sticks on the floor.
Shifting through the steering wheel was a real safety hazard.

But then safety wasn't a big deal back in the day.

Ah the 'bad old days...I'm happy they are far,far away.

I see this topic started out posting about the truck rodeos being a waste of money.
Well most companies do it because of the customer P.R.,and advertising they feel they are receiving.

I never did very well,when I did those events.
But it was a free ride on the company I drove for.
Transportation,meals,and hotel paid for me,and my family.
Also a days pay.

My TM never showed up for any of them,so after they were over he always asked where I placed.

Funny thing I said to him,someone always wins,and somebody always has to come in last.

The Truck Driving Championships are all about SAFETY and not only as a Professional Driver but as a concerned citizen I feel you can never learn to much about safety. If you go for the company you are going for the wrong reason. This is one event where you can compete against the best in the nation, and win lose or draw if you give 100% to it you and your family will enjoy some life long friendships with some very special people. If you ever win at the state level and go to the National's you will never miss another chance to compete.