XPO | Truck Driving Championship

You weren't even on my mind when I posted the dog but av8tor found a hidden connection a'la daVinci code. The Illuminati will find its source.

The Pallet Refers were 5X5X6' tall aluminum boxes that could fit a pallet of 4 drums that was temp critical. I'm thinking 1994. They were heavily insulated but not passive in that there was a gas that aided in temp control. They suffered break downs, damage, and they were a logistical nightmare. Make a delivery and carry the empty Pallet Refer around the rest of the day. Need to make a pick up with one and go back to the terminal and get one IF one was there. In L/H, they were subject to an inspection with a check list at every trailer change. And after a very short amount of usage they needed to be serviced at a specific regional FAC, so they rode around MT too. That was a whole lot of money down the drain. But we were leaders in the industry. Monuments were built all over Con-land but ours was a hundred of them stacked up behind the XCO shop when the program was discarded.

This was one of many programs that were a good idea and it got so the word "program" would put a chill up my back. Then came "enhancement" and "initiative".

Wow...came aboard in '98 and never heard about those...I remember blankets through the years that seemed to work pretty well, but temp capsules are new to me...sounds like a pain in the a$$...course, we don't get alot of snow in California, at least in most P&D areas..

Is that the best 6 you can come up with? (1) Do away with the uniform service cleaning. (2) Do away with uniform pants and only issue a shirt. (3) Do away with the wellness coaches. (4) Please install the handhelds in the system I know this is costly in the short run but overall this would reduce paper waste, hourly waste signing on shipments getting on and off the forklifts. Would reduce the time overall we would have to work. (5) Get rid of all company cars except for account manager's, and they must leave it at the service centers over night in case they need it for driver pick-ups in the a.m. Gas, maintaince, insurance, and the lease has to be killing con-way. (6) Do away with all the pamplets and videos being sent out every week. Everything can be communiticated to the SCM then to the employees. These 6 small things would save con-way In my guess somewhere around 1 billion dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...came aboard in '98 and never heard about those...I remember blankets through the years that seemed to work pretty well, but temp capsules are new to me...sounds like a pain in the a$$...course, we don't get alot of snow in California, at least in most P&D areas..

We still get them, occasionally....Dippin Dots owns them now and uses them to transport their product to their distributors. We get them several times a month, the dist picks it up at our dock in a bobtail rental and brings the "pallet reefer" back empty when he is finished with it. (they were called that, because they only hold 1 pallet, open the door and a pallet of merchandise can be forked directly into the unit)

Dippin'-Dots. Reefer apon reefer full of Dippin-Dots. Press on

Never seen a Dippin'-Dots pallet refer. We get their freight, but it's always packed in dry ice with an aluminum foil clad insulated blanket.

Is that the best 6 you can come up with? (1) Do away with the uniform service cleaning. (2) Do away with uniform pants and only issue a shirt. (3) Do away with the wellness coaches. (4) Please install the handhelds in the system I know this is costly in the short run but overall this would reduce paper waste, hourly waste signing on shipments getting on and off the forklifts. Would reduce the time overall we would have to work. (5) Get rid of all company cars except for account manager's, and they must leave it at the service centers over night in case they need it for driver pick-ups in the a.m. Gas, maintaince, insurance, and the lease has to be killing con-way. (6) Do away with all the pamplets and videos being sent out every week. Everything can be communiticated to the SCM then to the employees. These 6 small things would save con-way In my guess somewhere around 1 billion dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to see them do away with uniform pants, but then we would be dealing with ripped up levi's and guys stretching the rules...most guys like not tearing up their own clothes anyway...
Wellness coaches are saving us money, not costing us money....the layers of cost that mount due tio illness and injury have already been documented...once again, I will go over the fact that I had one injury here that seemed minor, but has now stretched out to over 18K...
John is trying to convince his superiors to go through with the handhelds if we can finance the 30 million over 4 years with IBM or Motorola, both of which are strong possibilities...handhelds will move and progress us faster than anything else at this point...the deployment will take 5 months for the entire system..
I will go over this again with the cars...the more in the fleet lease, the bigger the discount to the company...having everyone who operates any vehicle on company business charge for personal mileage on personal vehicles would be far more expensive than the current lease cost...all vehicle operators pay for gas, insurance to the tune of over 1000.00 a year, after tax deduction, and the preventative maintenance is through Ford's fleet lease warranty program...remember, Ford needs these cars on the road to advertise their products...need proof on the gas, give me your address, I will mail you my Chevron bill for you to scrutinize along with the check to forward for payment..

Allthese things you mention, if stripped away, might save the company 7-8 million dollars, but would be offset by about 15-20 million dollars in personal mileage in personal vehicles alone..
The handhelds stand to realize full efficiency in 2010 if installed by the end of the year..