TForce | Truckload Division to Start Moving LTL Loads - Monday 3/16/2009!

Well i guess it takes BIG block letters for some to be able to read the writing on the wall. If you didn't realize what was happening with the big hiring campaign in T/L didvision, while things were slowing down on the Unioin/LTL side then I guess you are one of them. I at that time just tried to point out the obvious and was chastised for it.

Look I don't want to see anybody out of work period, and I know eveyone has to, but when obvious things like this happen, I can't/ won't just set back and not say anything when it is so blatantly clear what is happening and then let folks attack me when I point them out. I guess I don't understand how anybody can support the use of outside personel when WE?, have folks sitting at home. This company for years used the "extra board" to move this freight throughout the system when there was no return freight. And yes Viriginia LTL drivers can run the same miles as the T/L division can we all operate under the same Federal Law concerning Hours of Service
It is crystal clear that the company is ramping up the use of T/L and "leased to" trucks because they realize that is a very very real possibility that the arbitrator will rule in favor of the Union re: subcontracting. This is the next step for them then they will argue that they are using "company" employees to do this work and they will continue to try to weasel their way around the article.
Sorrry If my "see I told Ya" stepped on your toes!
rocketmann,
Do you have any ideal when this is suppose to be heard by the arbitrator(Using subcontractors). I read some where on the board, that the hearing is suppose to be at the end of this month. Any truth to that?

They can try to use TL and say they are company drivers, but that doesnt get rid of the "bargaining unit member" part of things does it?

This went to arbitrator in Jan after the grievance procedure was exhausted. There is no real time frame as to when they have to respond. I'm told generaly a matter of months.
My point in saying that the company will say they are using company employees was just that they will say that, just to muddy the water further and start yet another trail that will have to be grieved. No it doesn't get rid of the bargaining unit member part of the article. But the article also states they will not subcontract in an attempt to "avoid using existing or creating new barganing unit positions" but they have circumvented that (to this point), by using yet another part of the article that states they can use subcontractors when there is no freight returning to that terminal. Union has repeatedly asked the company why before the ratification you used co. employees to move this freight and now you don't? Co has not had a adequate response that is why it went to arbitration, unable to agree on this article.

Rumor has it that SOH will be losing eight high paying runs to truckload. 470 miles turns to Richmond, IN where they met PTG drivers who then relayed that freight in PTG, 520 miles where the next eight guys turned HRS 420 miles. That's 24 men on decent schedules who will be displaced by non-union lower paid drivers. Eight in SOH and sixteen in PTG.

In SOH it will affect almost every one of the road drivers as the most senior drivers run these Richmond turns. That means that every driver will get bumped down eight spots and six or seven drivers will join the other eight already on layoff.

I heard from a truckload driver that they hired 600 guys in the past two months and then laid two-thirds of them off. Obviously this was in the plans for quite some time.

I find no justification for this and fully expect the Teamsters to shut this down. My fear though, is that UPS might offer up these truckload guys to the Teamsters in exchange for the ability to continue using them on LTL loads. Clearly that would be a benefit to the Teamsters, but it would come at our expense. We'll see where the Teamsters loyalty lies on this one. Will they serve their own interest or will they actually fight for us?

And don't think this won't happen at your terminal. All of you sitting back waiting for new, longer runs can kiss those good-bye as when they do come, they'll be given to the truckload guys rather than to us. All mini-hub runs will remain ours, but any meet and turns will go to truckload. Get your dock gear ready, because you're going to need it.

I heard they hired 500 but that was for a mail contract and alot of those were laid off right after that some didn't even get throught the orientation period.

They can try to use TL and say they are company drivers, but that doesnt get rid of the "bargaining unit member" part of things does it?

Since when did it matter whether or not they actually read the contract and did what it said? They will do whatever they can until they are told otherwise once these matters hit the arbitrator. So far, we've learned that it takes damn near a year to get to that level so they will be able to use the TL guys for the next year in their attempt to usurp the contract.

Remember it was UPS and the Teamsters that agreed to this contract, not Overnite/UPS Freight management. They will never give in on anything without first testing it to see what they can get away with. And beyond that, they will try every angle to not follow it. Get used to it because that will never change.

All you can do is be grateful that you have a job, if you have one. Keep filing those grievances and don't give up hope.

Just a quick note. I dont know if this has already be mentioned or not.
But they are now runinnig UPGF Truckload 53' From GBO To HRS.
This is a slap in the face. I brought a solid PEN upto GBO last night and they unloaded and put it on Truckload to bring to HRS.
They Rail to SEA and Contract to SLO From GBO.
MEM To GAF Contract
GAF To MEM Contract WTF !!
We have to get a little PO'ed about this and make the IBT do something about it..

Off the subject.. Why is the IBT not targeting Truckload for membership.
Every Truckload driver I talk to wants to join but say they cant get cards.
They dont seem interested in them.
Again WTF!!
If I am missing something please let me know.

Just a quick note. I dont know if this has already be mentioned or not.
But they are now runinnig UPGF Truckload 53' From GBO To HRS.
This is a slap in the face. I brought a solid PEN upto GBO last night and they unloaded and put it on Truckload to bring to HRS.
They Rail to SEA and Contract to SLO From GBO.
MEM To GAF Contract
GAF To MEM Contract WTF !!
We have to get a little PO'ed about this and make the IBT do something about it..

Off the subject.. Why is the IBT not targeting Truckload for membership.
Every Truckload driver I talk to wants to join but say they cant get cards.
They dont seem interested in them.
Again WTF!!
If I am missing something please let me know.
No, your not missing anything. UPS is paying the Teamsters bills so they (Teamsters) will do as UPS wants them to do.

ups isn't paying there bills... WE ARE!

that's why wftcares
Let me see,
1. Six point something billion to get out of the Central State Pension Fund.
2. 12,500 new teamster members at almost $60 a pop per month = $750,000 times 12 = $9,000,000 a year, for nothing.

Now, who's paying their bills!!:popcorn:

No, UPS Freight Truckload is non-union.

Now, heres a question for ya'll, these UPS Truckload drivers that will be pulling LTL freight, are they using Truckload units or our (LTL single axle) sleeper cabs? Wasn't sure if the company was gonna hide the fact that they were gonna use Truckload employees to move our LTL freight...

...nope they are using their own tractors...o/ops are getting thick as fleas also...but as long as no rddr is on lay off.......the contract is fairly clear....

but "layoff" is not defined a rddr working the dock is not "laidoff" also oncall is not considered "laid off" in some places.

Now, heres a question for ya'll, these UPS Truckload drivers that will be pulling LTL freight, are they using Truckload units or our (LTL single axle) sleeper cabs? Wasn't sure if the company was gonna hide the fact that they were gonna use Truckload employees to move our LTL freight...

dscn0994_sml.jpg

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/dfaust/2006/may21/dscn0994.jpg

file003_sml.jpg

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/dfaust/2008/08-10/mm/file003.jpg

upsf-truckload41807_sml.jpg

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/dfaust/2007/04-20/upsf-truckload41807.jpg

Hanks truck pictures = my favorite collection of truck pictures!

Hanks truck pictures used to not allow pictures to leave their domain.
Seems like they made a few exceptions.
There might be a few contributors that do not allow it.

Here is their overall rules.
You may download any image for personal or non-commercial use only.
YOU MAY NOT DOWNLOAD ANY PICTURE FROM THIS WEB SITE TO BE USED ON YOUTUBE OR FACEBOOK. But NOT for your own web site!

DAVID FAUST's disclaimer
ALL IMAGES ON THESE PAGES ARE COPYRIGHT AND NO IMAGE CAN BE USED WITHOUT EXPRESSED PERMISSION FROM DAVID FAUST

I don't work for UPS. I was stopped at a train crossing and the train must have had 20 UPS trailers on it. What division transports UPS trailers by train?

...nope they are using their own tractors...o/ops are getting thick as fleas also...but as long as no rddr is on lay off.......the contract is fairly clear....

are you sure that they are using thier own tractors????? i have seen independent drivers pulling our frieght to destination that our road drivers used to pull in tractors that have the ups frieght sticker on the side of the door. and none of these drivers are in uniform, some here union hats but aren't union.

there are at least 2-3 in cgo, and have seen some in soh

talked to tl driver in our (lex) yard out of hrs, taken hours in his sleeper. going back to hrs today when his hours where up. we have 7 layed off, still got 6 adhoc's working 2 days a week.

I just received confirmation that this is an active lane for Truckload...

Both LEX and HRS should be filing grievances for this work!

It is: 525 miles.