ABF | Uniforms

The difference between ABF drivers and us scabbo non union drivers.....is that we look like professionals, and most of you super special way cooler than the rest of us Union drivers look homeless.

If I had a vote I think you guys should stay with the dirty jeans and t shirt look. That way us scabby non Union guys don't get mistaken for you.

On a serious note. One of the reasons most of us would not ever work for a union company is because of guys like you Mr Canary.
As a union guy, the uniform does look better than some of the guys that come to work. I'm glad abf is enforcing the uniforms because some of these cats look like dog s*** in there street clothes. They roll in a customers business lookin like a homeless bum digging through the dumpster. To me, that does not reflect the true image of a teamster. And free ball means no undies canary.

No, I believe the real reason you don't "want" a Union is because you're too scared of your boss to exercise your First Amendment rights,......And like so many other timid people, you're going to blame your lack of courage on other people. That's all right Mr. VT,...we don't need timid people in our Union,....you don't need to pretend to have a "reason" not to join a Union.

By the way, apparently neither you or Rollin are aware that ABF has an existing uniform program that is not contractually mandated. ABF has a marked distaste for Union emblems and Union vendors, both of which are contractually required, and are worn by the other Union carriers. ABF has given out a uniform allowance to city drivers for the last seven years,.......... In fact, I'm sitting here in an ABF uniform as I type. If either of you were city drivers, you'd know that. Apparently, though, you don't get out of your office much to see that, and want to use this uniform issue to denigtste and insult Union drivers. Rollin,.......well , he's predictable,.... Still putting out the fantasy that he's an ABF driver,..,....he ain't fooling us,....he's just here for laughs. Speaking of that , Rollin,......we really didn't need to know about your underwear preference.........

No, I believe the real reason you don't "want" a Union is because you're too scared of your boss to exercise your First Amendment rights,

I'm not scared of my boss at all although I do respect him. I believe the reason you hide behind your precious union is because you don't respect any one.

I don't want this to turn into a debate as to whether the union is good or bad....my original post was to point out your holier than thou attitude towards non union drivers.

I'm not scared of my boss at all although I do respect him. I believe the reason you hide behind your precious union is because you don't respect any one.

I don't want this to turn into a debate as to whether the union is good or bad....my original post was to point out your holier than thou attitude towards non union drivers.
My Union isn't "precious",..........neither is my attitude " holier than thou". I believe you were the one who wanted to prove a point about our sartorial neatness, and just lump all of us in one filthy, ragged bag. I took offense to that. This is an internal ABF contractual problem concerning whether a corporate entity has the right to change working conditions that they've contractually agreed to. But.......of course,... As far as you're concerned, contracts are to be sneered at, because they are worthless,...... right? If you,...,uhh.....don't mind,.....I think we'll hash this out amongst us Union ABF employees.......... Real employees, Rollin.......

Well you completely failed in that regard.
If you spent any time around here you would know that brother canary has respect and concern for all drivers, union or not. But above that he has concern for rights fought for by our predecessors and now enjoyed by all drivers.
But I see that you are new to ltl in general so I put your outburst down to youthful exuberance.

Back to the issue at hand. Our terminal manager was under the impression that they could make the uniforms only available and mandatory to workers holding street bids. They were having fittings and a yard man went to go get fitted. Supervisor said better check with TM, TM said no. Yard man said he was tired of greasy clothes and if they gave others uniforms he wants some too. yard man called Union steward and BA. BA got on phone with Regional VP, labor man and TM. TM found out that its everyone on the board (we have one board for driving and dock) or its no one. I don't know yet but this may have been news to the labor man and VP.
Don't know about article 12 yet.
I would enjoy hearing of such issues in other places if they crop up.

RNWcm9D.jpg

Be careful what you wish for. They might reconsider a respectable looking uniform and instead make you look like a cosmonaut..us foodservice changed their name, logo, and uniforms, and we went from looking like professional deliverymen to idiodic ski bums...
You could always go casual like the "new" YRCF people!!!! Image is everything you know.

The difference between ABF drivers and us scabbo non union drivers.....is that we look like professionals, and most of you super special way cooler than the rest of us Union drivers look homeless.

If I had a vote I think you guys should stay with the dirty jeans and t shirt look. That way us scabby non Union guys don't get mistaken for you.

On a serious note. One of the reasons most of us would not ever work for a union company is because of guys like you Mr Canary.
ABF drivers in my neck of the woods present themselves very professionally. Especially the three that jumped ship from my terminal ( Conway).

Back to the issue at hand. Our terminal manager was under the impression that they could make the uniforms only available and mandatory to workers holding street bids. They were having fittings and a yard man went to go get fitted. Supervisor said better check with TM, TM said no. Yard man said he was tired of greasy clothes and if they gave others uniforms he wants some too. yard man called Union steward and BA. BA got on phone with Regional VP, labor man and TM. TM found out that its everyone on the board (we have one board for driving and dock) or its no one. I don't know yet but this may have been news to the labor man and VP.
Don't know about article 12 yet.
I would enjoy hearing of such issues in other places if they crop up.
It's my understanding that the Article(12) has to be applied unilaterally,......Everyone gets uniforms. Your TM may be mistaken because of the way ABF administered the old uniform plan. We had filed a grievance about the clothing allowance, claiming that the company was giving $200.00 worth of value to certain employees only, and denying them to others,......a clear violation of Article 6. We lost the grievance because the labor man said the "voluntary" uniform program was the same as a safety award,......ABF could give it out to any employee who "qualified" by their parameters. A "gift",...if you may. I'll bet you didn't realize your uniforms were a Gift. The labor man also admitted that the uniforms were "walking billboards",....which is why they didn't give them out to dock, road, and UE employees. He wouldn't admit that ABF didn't want to follow ART. 12 because they didn't want the Teamster emblem on their uniforms,.....or deal with a Union vendor,.....but you can pretty much surmise that. What I'm also concerned with is the "bonus" program created in the ABF NMFA. I don't think the company has realized all the ramifications of a "bonus" program based on performance, spending, and O.R. Uniforms are a NON-OPERATIONAL cost,.....They have nothing to do with operations,.....BUT,....The cost will come out of the O.R........In other words,...if they "spend" enough,.....especially on NON-OPERATIONAL things,....we miss making our "bonus". In fact, we just missed making the "bonus" from last year by two-tenths of a percent. The O.R. was 96.2...........Too Bad Mr. ABF employee! You don't get back some of the money we.........."borrowed".....from you last contract. If ABF wants a "bonus" program,.....they will have to give us the right to question what they are spending money on.......

RNWcm9D.jpg

You could always go casual like the "new" YRCF people!!!! Image is everything you know.
Hah!,....You sure that ain't the lumper crew?...By the way, Brother Big R Guy,....a few posts above is the infamous Rollin62,.....the guy in the Con-Way shirt and bag on his head,.....Our apologies for drawing any similarities between you and him,.......but you could see why we were a little flippant with you......Mr. Rollin62 is tolerated only because of his .....uhhh....."entertainment" value.......He is NOT an ABF employee,....despite anything he tells you...........The proverbial grain of salt, you know.......Heck,....in Rollin's case, better make it a tri-axle load........

Yes, Rollin62 does bring some entertainment to the table. Uniforms for one and all should be a challenge for the NLRB if not the union as it does have an economic impact on us and I welcome the uniforms. I just hope they get here before I have to go shopping for more Levis. Have you seen the price tags on them lately???? BTW I was told that the uniforms are not mandatory. Anyone else heard otherwise?

Yes, Rollin62 does bring some entertainment to the table. Uniforms for one and all should be a challenge for the NLRB if not the union as it does have an economic impact on us and I welcome the uniforms. I just hope they get here before I have to go shopping for more Levis. Have you seen the price tags on them lately???? BTW I was told that the uniforms are not mandatory. Anyone else heard otherwise?
They told us they were mandatory as long as they meet the provisions outlined in article 12.

They told us they were mandatory as long as they meet the provisions outlined in article 12.
If I was fighting them I'd ask for that written mandate. I'm not shirking my duties but could someone else maybe ask for it? There's a flaw or two in that mandate if they are mandated:

1) We can get shorts if we want...what would they expect us to do in the winter?

2) Most of this stuff is too light for winter wear anyway and I expect that the jackets will be insufficient for a northern winter. There is no way they can force us to under dress for the weather because they want us to present their desired appearance.

Hah!,....You sure that ain't the lumper crew?...By the way, Brother Big R Guy,....a few posts above is the infamous Rollin62,.....the guy in the Con-Way shirt and bag on his head,.....Our apologies for drawing any similarities between you and him,.......but you could see why we were a little flippant with you......Mr. Rollin62 is tolerated only because of his .....uhhh....."entertainment" value.......He is NOT an ABF employee,....despite anything he tells you...........The proverbial grain of salt, you know.......Heck,....in Rollin's case, better make it a tri-axle load........
I have noticed sometimes he seems a few bags short of a full pallet???

If I was fighting them I'd ask for that written mandate. I'm not shirking my duties but could someone else maybe ask for it? There's a flaw or two in that mandate if they are mandated:

1) We can get shorts if we want...what would they expect us to do in the winter?

2) Most of this stuff is too light for winter wear anyway and I expect that the jackets will be insufficient for a northern winter. There is no way they can force us to under dress for the weather because they want us to present their desired appearance.

The union provider part of article 12 that is bothering me here. I asked our Steward and he said he was told that as long as they have are union somewhere in the country they qualify. I don't like it.
We get the choice of shorts, pants or a mix. 11 sets and what you start out with is what you get so exchange is not really compatible with wearing pants or shorts all the time unless you get all 11 in one thing. Same with short sleeve and long sleeve shirts. Now the salesman said that it was possible to change but there is a 4 dollar per garment fee that they charge and it would be up to the Terminal manager. Or you might be able to pay the fee yourself. We also get a jacket, he didn't have any there but he described them as "a light lined jacket". Doesn't sound warm to me.
I would be cool with all this if they hadn't stolen my family life and taken my money.