XPO | Union Debate and News

I made 65k last year and only ran linehaul once. We have seniority in the city as well. Many times they have wanted to send someone home early, and a few times I just fell on my sword and took an early day. I don't mind splitting the early days up with the other guys, and they appreciate it too, and never complain if they have to go home early and I decide to stay.

highspeeds said:
You must not work here. Because you really don't make sense. Con-way pays very well. It has to. No one would deal with all the crap if they didn't. I am less than 3 years in. No where near top out. Made $60K plus every year.

No one trusts pensions. Underfunded garbage from a previous era. If you guys actually cared about anyone but " you ", there would be reform to address entitlements. So that pensions and medicare and social security would be solvent and meaningful to young workers. But that might cost " you " something. And you aren't will to step up for anyone but " you ".

A 401K belongs to me. So does money in my pocket.

I worked for Conway once.I was at top pay.it was the slowest part of the year.I remember speaking with my dock supervisor.he said I could go home.because things were slow.the lower paid worker stayed.I heard one of them say.if I wasn't so highly paid.id be still working that day.I remembered how I felt about that employee saying what he said.that was class warfare.no unity.it was all me me me..at whatever the cost.employees would snitch on each other.if it meant a feather in their hat with the boss
Would I go back.nope.I appreciate all that I have earned with a union represented job.my job is so much easier to work now.I do work hard

Good for you, you must run line haul. Most Con Way drivers dont make half that and if your not worried why make a comment. I do because I was teamster for 20 years and thanks to my brothers before me who fought for my working conditions I'll be able to retire with a pension. I will forever be grateful its sad to see today's workers like yourself who only care about "me" its exactly what the company counts on. They take care of a few and screw the rest. The P & D drivers get screwed bad start times non guaranteed hours on and on there is no seniority rights you may think you have em but you dont.

everything is by seniority here. And, I don't run linehaul..if I did I'd make 90K. get a job, please....haha

I worked for Conway once.I was at top pay.it was the slowest part of the year.I remember speaking with my dock supervisor.he said I could go home.because things were slow.the lower paid worker stayed.I heard one of them say.if I wasn't so highly paid.id be still working that day.I remembered how I felt about that employee saying what he said.that was class warfare.no unity.it was all me me me..at whatever the cost.employees would snitch on each other.if it meant a feather in their hat with the boss
Would I go back.nope.I appreciate all that I have earned with a union represented job.my job is so much easier to work now.I do work hard

That was the old conway..the work and money is there if you want it..just have to know how tho do it..lol

That is huge for YRC. Although it was somewhat of a loaded gun to the banks heads, it will help them immensely so long as the economy continues to grow and the other parties with financial interests continue to play ball with them. They could very likely pull out of this tailspin if everything keeps moving in the right direction.

Good for you, you must run line haul. Most Con Way drivers dont make half that and if your not worried why make a comment. I do because I was teamster for 20 years and thanks to my brothers before me who fought for my working conditions I'll be able to retire with a pension. I will forever be grateful its sad to see today's workers like yourself who only care about "me" its exactly what the company counts on. They take care of a few and screw the rest. The P & D drivers get screwed bad start times non guaranteed hours on and on there is no seniority rights you may think you have em but you dont.

Conway drivers are very well paid; 24/hr and .56/mi top scale up north. That's more than most teamster freight drivers are making. I was a teamster for 10 years and I can tell you right now the union and it's members are NOT going to sell conway employees on the idea of joining a union by bragging about an underfunded pension.

Conway drivers are very well paid; 24/hr and .56/mi top scale up north. That's more than most teamster freight drivers are making. I was a teamster for 10 years and I can tell you right now the union and it's members are NOT going to sell conway employees on the idea of joining a union by bragging about an underfunded pension.

When you make a post like that, It brings a thread like this to a stand-still. The pay in the old southern is lower, but still good.

Oh, and to save smokinjoe some time, I'll say it for him. We don't get ot after 8 in the south, only after 50, but still good, in my opinion.

Conway's pension is underfunded too. 16% I believe was the number I saw on a recent mailing. Not bad but you would think with it being frozen all these years they could at least keep it 100% funded.

Conway's pension is underfunded too. 16% I believe was the number I saw on a recent mailing. Not bad but you would think with it being frozen all these years they could at least keep it 100% funded.

That's one thing that I don't understand..pensions. Why don't they just buy us out and be done with it?? If we quit or get fired, they give you the money.IDK, I guess it has something to do with the laws governing the pensions. And yeah, your right, the mailing talks about the fund being underfunded...The stock market is back to 2008(pre-recession) levels. It should be fully funded. I can only think that administrative costs are keeping if underfunded. Somebody has to manage it. But, like I said, I don't understand the mystery surrounding the pensions.

I can't wait to see the result of the negotiations. Contract is up in March. Teamsters are already saying they need wages and pension returned or else. Or else what I wonder? They voted to give it all away before. It will be the same line again. Vote how we tell you or we close the doors. I think they might have completely broken what's left of the trucking unions. Very interesting next few months.

Yeah, they are hiring near my neck of the woods. Holland too. Everyone is terrified to take those jobs. How long will they last ?

I can't wait to see the result of the negotiations. Contract is up in March. Teamsters are already saying they need wages and pension returned or else. Or else what I wonder? They voted to give it all away before. It will be the same line again. Vote how we tell you or we close the doors. I think they might have completely broken what's left of the trucking unions. Very interesting next few months.

ABF contract is up in march. You are referring to yrc which has until 2015 on their contract. I'm sure you are watching what is going to happen with negotiations. Conway is on the me too contract. Whatever the union negotiates you get too.

Yeah, they are hiring near my neck of the woods. Holland too. Everyone is terrified to take those jobs. How long will they last ?

Not as terrifying as taking a con job and rotting away on the flex board. How long can someone last with one of those "jobs".

Not as terrifying as taking a con job and rotting away on the flex board. How long can someone last with one of those "jobs".

You must talk to a lot of conway people. Your right on this too. They need to make some changes. There is WAY too much turnover at the bottom.

You must talk to a lot of conway people. Your right on this too. They need to make some changes. There is WAY too much turnover at the bottom.

Bottom line we are a Trucking Company we are going to have Turnover Essp since we are Required to work the dock as drivers at Con-way many people think they going to come in here and drive day one they don't plan on sitting on a orange Power Wheel shoveling freight all over the dock eating Dirt and Wood chips in the heat and Freezing cold and Rain !!! Not to mention they think they will get a gravy line haul run or day city run NOT going to Happen !! When they realize it take's a long time to get to the Top and that you Probably will never make it !! They look for Greener Pasture's not to mention Con-way will starve ya when we are slow !! so this is why we have turnover like we do that and they normally hire way to many people for our vacation season and busy time of the year !!