TForce | union due's

The decision to become union shouldn't be about what I will lose or gain, it should be about others. A good financial decision is never based on the temporary but the future.

The decision to become union shouldn't be about what I will lose or gain, it should be about others. A good financial decision is never based on the temporary but the future.
..HERE HERE..:1036316054:

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

I could give a hoot about Job Security. My Job Security has been here for the last 11 years and It is not going anywhere as long as I do what i am supposed to each day and get the freight delivered, and follow the rules. It is the guys who are worried that they will have to follow the rules that think they need protection. Good luck to all of you. You thought it was hard before.

On average every Teamster member will need the protection a union contract brings them a little under one time per career. I can't remember where I read that but it stuck with me. You may not need that protection. More power to you. The fact is "we" as Teamsters can make all of "our" lives better by sticking together, bargaing contracts that benefit us all and watching each others backs. That is what it is about. Companies love seeing some people active in the union and others anti union. Thay want us divided so they can push us around because they know the more we are together, the more leverage we have.

On average every Teamster member will need the protection a union contract brings them a little under one time per career. I can't remember where I read that but it stuck with me. You may not need that protection. More power to you. The fact is "we" as Teamsters can make all of "our" lives better by sticking together, bargaing contracts that benefit us all and watching each others backs. That is what it is about. Companies love seeing some people active in the union and others anti union. Thay want us divided so they can push us around because they know the more we are together, the more leverage we have.

That post was attached to the post about losing my 401k match. When I was at the hall and asked what was I going to gain to make up for the loss of the match, the BA said " You will gain Job Security" I took that as a b---sh-t answer. Job Security is not going to put extra money in my pocket. Yes, I do know it is important, but in my case would most likely never be needed. I was just pissed at the answer I received from the BA. And then to learn the rest of the info on the contract just got me steaming. We are paying them to represent us and get us what we deserve and it did not happen. That is why when the contract passes, I will be glad to know in the back of my mind that I voted NO and believed that we deserved better. But obviously many of you do not feel that way. After the vote on Saturday, I will head to the car thinking what the additional $.04 cents per hour this year will do for me. Maybe I can get a tank of Gas at the end of the year? We could of done better and should not bow down to threats from either the union or the company. We hired them to do a job and they did it poorly and we are unfortunately accepting it. :hide:

Your Teamster Tax pretty much sucks up most of any raise you get anyway, so I consider it a wash. That with the more expensive Health plan, I guess I will just see about working more o/t with o/t after 8, but that is assuming that they will still have it once the contract starts.
Sorry if this seems negative, Just really starting to set in that we really don't have a choice.
What do you pay for medical.According to what I see I will save $120.00/year for the life of the contract and that is with the cost of union dues. How can the insurance get anyworse then the BS Aetna we have now. How about the BS pention the company offers. Nobody is complaining about this. It is a sub-par pention.The teamster pention for a 20 year pention at an average of about $60,000/year pays about $4,000/month. The UPS Freight with the same time and pay is about $1780/month. Do the math... $4,000 is better than $1780 am I right.:chairshot:

I'm saving $84.00 a month on the healthcare, paying 234.00 family now, will pay $150.00. Thats $1008.00 a year times your 6yr est. thats $6048.00 savings min. because it's gone up 7% every year.

So as I see it I'm ahead min. $1726, oh wait my $4322 is all tax deductible so I'll get back more than that. :smilie_132::chairshot:
At least some people do the math. Plus if you look at the raises we have never received more than a $0.50 raise. They are giving more from start to finish.:1036316054:

I have been reading this al day do you honestly find nothing:good a bout it . so I assume you will be looking for another job BYE :nutkick:
These are the people that wish for the sun and then say the sun is too bright. Never happy and they like to ***** and moan.

I could give a hoot about Job Security. My Job Security has been here for the last 11 years and It is not going anywhere as long as I do what i am supposed to each day and get the freight delivered, and follow the rules. It is the guys who are worried that they will have to follow the rules that think they need protection. Good luck to all of you. You thought it was hard before.
That logic may have been true with Overnite,but this is UPS now. Do you think they care about you? If you have an accident are you sure that they won't fire your a_ _! Because I'm not sure. :Rulz:Talk to the package guys. They will tell you that UPS will push and you will fall in line or pay.

At least some people do the math. Plus if you look at the raises we have never received more than a $0.50 raise. They are giving more from start to finish.:1036316054:

Just think, in 5 years we can negotiate for a better pention. And possibly cheaper Retirement INS. or better medical period.

Those who have youth have the future, and those of us half spent can enjoy more as time goes on, I think things will not be like this all the time, particularly if the economy turns around.

This company is new, we could enjoy things no other company may have in the future. Time marches on.:1036316054:

That logic may have been true with Overnite,but this is UPS now. Do you think they care about you? If you have an accident are you sure that they won't fire your a_ _! Because I'm not sure. :Rulz:Talk to the package guys. They will tell you that UPS will push and you will fall in line or pay.

And that is why they are the highest paid employees in the transportation business!....KK:1036316054:

With due respect K.K., I made no mention of UPS Parcel. What is the formula for the NMFA dues? Yellow, Roadway, Etc.

The IBT Constitution sets the minumimum rate at 2.5 hours a month.
Any addtional is at a Local level is voted on by the members for special fees such as organizing....buliding fund...etc.....but it is THE MEMBERS who have to vote to approve this....KK

I'm saving $84.00 a month on the healthcare, paying 234.00 family now, will pay $150.00. Thats $1008.00 a year times your 6yr est. thats $6048.00 savings min. because it's gone up 7% every year.

So as I see it I'm ahead min. $1726, oh wait my $4322 is all tax deductible so I'll get back more than that. :smilie_132::chairshot:

A Brother who can use the calculator....don't you wished everyone did?.....KK:smilie_132:

YES it is......and if you are a Steward, most Locals pay your dues for you.

As a Steward anything you buy to help you in your work as a Steward is tax deductable such as Computers, Laptops, printers, faxes etc etc.....you can also deduct the mileage you do on your car when going to Union meetings and to the Union Hall for Union business anytime...I beleive it was 48 cpm for 2007.....not sure....KK
You don't have to be a steward in order to take tax deductions for your job.
Again... Only if you do not take the standard deduction. This doesn't apply to the majority of us.
I'm sure you speak for some, but not all. Maybe it's time for all of us to make sure we itemize our deductions to see if we can deduct more than the standard. In addition to dues being deductable, so are your maps, work clothes, clothing maintainence, boots, any costs incurred for special training, small tools (tire thumper, boxcutters,etc), and other supplies necessary to perform you job.
In some cases, dues and job related expenses alone could total almost $3000 worth of deductions per year.