XPO | Union movement dead

Poor fellow. I would sure hate for my 5% paycut to be 1 mil.....

I, obviously, don't know the true numbers...just trying to make a point. I'll guarantee that 5% was more of a hit to us than the upper management..actually I don't know what I'm trying to say, so I'll just shut up.

50 is better than 40 when it is slow. Most guys have built their lives around 50. The only ones who want OT after 8.. are the ones who want only 8 hours.. which is fine, but you knew the policy when hired on.i don't see the problem.

Sorry, but that's a lame argument. Just because you've "built your life around 50" doesn't mean that getting o/t for that last 10 wouldn't be a very welcome change. I don't ever get 50 anyway. You don't see the problem because you're on linehaul making a heck of a lot more than me. If they had to start paying us shlubs down here in the south o/t after 50 you're afraid it'd rock the boat on your your good deal. Sure I knew the policy when I hired on, but what does that have to do with anything? When I hired on here I didn't know that old Central and Western got o/t after 8. Now that I do, I'd really like to know why my time is less important to the company than someone who lives in someplace like Clearfield, PA. But we all know the answer, it's because they're afraid that guy will sign a card and so will his buddies and they think us guys down here know our place.

I, obviously, don't know the true numbers...just trying to make a point. I'll guarantee that 5% was more of a hit to us than the upper management..actually I don't know what I'm trying to say, so I'll just shut up.

It may be a larger number, but with a salary like his it probably isn't noticed. Not sure if it even included bonuses which is usually where the real money is made for them. I know for a fact to us hourly guys 5% could be money we used for our kids to go to summer camp or play baseball the extra things we had sacrifice with a paycut. I doubt his kids even missed a beat.....

Sorry, but that's a lame argument. Just because you've "built your life around 50" doesn't mean that getting o/t for that last 10 wouldn't be a very welcome change. I don't ever get 50 anyway. You don't see the problem because you're on linehaul making a heck of a lot more than me. If they had to start paying us shlubs down here in the south o/t after 50 you're afraid it'd rock the boat on your your good deal. Sure I knew the policy when I hired on, but what does that have to do with anything? When I hired on here I didn't know that old Central and Western got o/t after 8. Now that I do, I'd really like to know why my time is less important to the company than someone who lives in someplace like Clearfield, PA. But we all know the answer, it's because they're afraid that guy will sign a card and so will his buddies and they think us guys down here know our place.

You don't get 50, well how would you like to say your not getting 40. But like I said it was that way when you hired. If your really going to move here (you've mentioned it twice now), FDX Freight has 5 service centers here in the metroplex. You have would have one close to you almost anywhere you moved to. They pay ot/8 and it's a bigger company with a bigger hourly rate. You would be starting at the bottom anyways..so it's something you should look at. They are always hiring every Spring..where as we are hiring year-round at our revolving door. I'm not a line-haul driver. I worked 55 hours last week. My friend at fedex is only working 40 right now. You should check it out, especially if you don't like working a lot of hours.

You don't get 50, well how would you like to say your not getting 40. But like I said it was that way when you hired. If your really going to move here (you've mentioned it twice now), FDX Freight has 5 service centers here in the metroplex. You have would have one close to you almost anywhere you moved to. They pay ot/8 and it's a bigger company with a bigger hourly rate. You would be starting at the bottom anyways..so it's something you should look at. They are always hiring every Spring..where as we are hiring year-round at our revolving door. I'm not a line-haul driver. I worked 55 hours last week. My friend at fedex is only working 40 right now. You should check it out, especially if you don't like working a lot of hours.

I work as many hours as I'm allowed. If I were farther up the board than I am I could get more hours, and wouldn't mind working them. If they were ever to do the right thing and start paying the entire company o/t after 8, with the way our operation is set up I don't see them cutting hours and hiring more people just to keep from paying o/t. There are some guys at my sic that have used that argument against o/t after 8. It's just company sponsored propaganda to keep them out of the conversation. I'm pretty sure there's quite a few guys up north getting o/t. But like I said, they don't pay it to us because they're not afraid of the union down here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work as many hours as I'm allowed. If I were farther up the board than I am I could get more hours, and wouldn't mind working them. If they were ever to do the right thing and start paying the entire company o/t after 8, with the way our operation is set up I don't see them cutting hours and hiring more people just to keep from paying o/t. There are some guys at my sic that have used that argument against o/t after 8. It's just company sponsored propaganda to keep them out of the conversation. I'm pretty sure there's quite a few guys up north getting o/t. But like I said, they don't pay it to us because they're not afraid of the union down here.

Some folks would view it as a paycut..also we wouldn't get compensated for 45 hours vacation. Yes, they would hire more, and your money making power would be limited.

You strarted to say exactly why I am against a flat tax, whether it is 5% or 30%, it will hit your(our) checkbook harder than it would the upper income people. For example, 30% of a hundred thousand is different than 30% of a million. It's the same percentage but the people making a million will be much better off. A flat tax raises taxes on the lower income people and lowers taxes on the rich. That's why we have a progressive tax system, the more you make, the higher tax bracket you are in.:coffee1:

Some folks would view it as a paycut..also we wouldn't get compensated for 45 hours vacation. Yes, they would hire more, and your money making power would be limited.

Every location is different. If you have ever been involved in management you know it's cheaper to pay overtime than hire more people. That being said things Con-way decides to do don't always make sense. When we were slow a few years ago , I was working overtime ( not my choice ) while people were getting economically terminated. Some were my friends. The point is , I have never been told to ease up on the O/T.

Actually, you don't get 45 hours of vacation pay. You receive 40 hours of a higher rate to equal things out. Worth more per hour on vacation than on the clock. Only at Conway.

You strarted to say exactly why I am against a flat tax, whether it is 5% or 30%, it will hit your(our) checkbook harder than it would the upper income people. For example, 30% of a hundred thousand is different than 30% of a million. It's the same percentage but the people making a million will be much better off. A flat tax raises taxes on the lower income people and lowers taxes on the rich. That's why we have a progressive tax system, the more you make, the higher tax bracket you are in.:coffee1:

But the part you are looking at is wrong. The people at a hundred thousand live a hundred thousand lifestyle, and the people at a million live a million lifestyle. Their lifestyle gets hit by the same percentage. It doesn't look the same to the person at a hundred when he looks at a million because he isn't living that life. And the person at a million doesn't think he should take a bigger hit than the guy at a hundred either.

FOS pay is lower than most of the drivers, maybe they should take less of a hit than us right? (I fully expect a 'Like' from white shirt for this comment, lol)

But the part you are looking at is wrong. The people at a hundred thousand live a hundred thousand lifestyle, and the people at a million live a million lifestyle. Their lifestyle gets hit by the same percentage. It doesn't look the same to the person at a hundred when he looks at a million because he isn't living that life. And the person at a million doesn't think he should take a bigger hit than the guy at a hundred either.

FOS pay is lower than most of the drivers, maybe they should take less of a hit than us right? (I fully expect a 'Like' from white shirt for this comment, lol)
Know what your saying but not sure that's true, every analaysis I have seen says a flat tax will increase taxes on people at the lower end and lower taxes on people at the higher end. It's sounds like it's fair because it is exactly the same %, but the price of goods and services and lower wages means it might effect things people need......On the other hand, since it will be a tax cut on the upper end, it won't effect them at all, execpt to purchase a 3rd vacation home. There is a reason we have a proggresive tax code, we just need to simplify it and close some loopholes....:coffee1:

But you are also in charge of your own tax bracket. You are taxed on what you purchase individually. If you wanna higher lifestyle, you pay thd price. If you want beans and cornbread, much lower.

But you are also in charge of your own tax bracket. You are taxed on what you purchase individually. If you wanna higher lifestyle, you pay thd price. If you want beans and cornbread, much lower.
A straight national sales tax is a pretty good idea, the more things you buy the more tax you pay, less you buy the less you pay. The only problem I see with that is it might be very eradict, the amount they take in could go up or down alot.......:coffee1:

Think again. Everything you got taken away was taken from management too. I too the same 5% paycut drivers did as well as 401k and vacation.
you're an fos,you ain't management son,management doesn't make less than drivers,you are a "glorified"maintenance worker,a newbie with 2 months in can run a sector,he said doug and greg,you know people with a CONTRACT,GOLDEN PARACHUTE,MILLIONS IN STOCK OPTIONS,

you're an fos,you ain't management son,management doesn't make less than drivers,you are a "glorified"maintenance worker,a newbie with 2 months in can run a sector,he said doug and greg,you know people with a CONTRACT,GOLDEN PARACHUTE,MILLIONS IN STOCK OPTIONS,
You sound jealous. Whats stopping you from becoming one of those guys with the contracts and golden parachutes? Everyone in this country has the same chances and can make choices to become whatever they want. I choose not to because I want to have a life outside of Con-way. Do you think the heads of these companies ever get time to themselves or have a life away from their company? Stop worrying about everyone else and be happy with what you have or push yourself to achieve more in life.

From what I remember reading on here you guys down south was the ones signing the cards not us up north,so I'm guessing just maybe you don't know your place. Just saying.