FedEx Freight | UNION: Organize, or not?

Let me preface this by saying this isn't an indictment on all Union drivers. Anyone who has been on this thread knows I am pro union. However, has any other City drivers who come in contact with these guys daily notice we are usually given the cold shoulder by them? If passing on a two lane or in a business park I will throw my hand up and wave to the other LTL guys and will speak inside a business when I come into contact with them. I have noticed that more often than not the Union guys are the ones not to wave back and some are just down right rude when picking up or delivering at the same place. Some will speak back as if it is a painful obligation, and some just seem to ignore me if I say hello. I usually make sure to check my fifth wheel when leaving a place of business that we are both at if my tractor was out of sight at some time during our visit. Keep in my mind I am on the extra board so I run different areas. Maybe they only speak to the regular guy. This gives me the opportunity to come into contact with more of them which is why I have formed this opinion.

I became a road driver last year before the Yellow contract vote. When I was a city driver I drove the same city run every day for a year. I saw the same Yellow driver at least 3 times a week at the same stop. At this stop you had to wait a while to get loaded so I tried to talk to the Yellow driver. He wouldn't even acknowledge me, just gave me the cold shoulder. After I went to the road the guy that took over my city run says" that Yellow guy is a real jerk I said hi and he gave me the cold shoulder." After their proposal was voted down the city guy calls me and says" The yellow guy talked to me today. He wanted to know how much we paid, hours, and overtime. I told him top pay was 15 an hour , no overtime, and it was the worse place I ever worked." I just laughed and said," none of that is true." He said" yeah I know but screw that guy he is a jerk." Just funny how when he thinks he is about to lose his job he wants to be nice and talk.

The Union guys aren't bad in my area, they are just as friendly as anyone else. There is a UPS parcel driver I can't stand though,all he is a whiny *****.

I became a road driver last year before the Yellow contract vote. When I was a city driver I drove the same city run every day for a year. I saw the same Yellow driver at least 3 times a week at the same stop. At this stop you had to wait a while to get loaded so I tried to talk to the Yellow driver. He wouldn't even acknowledge me, just gave me the cold shoulder. After I went to the road the guy that took over my city run says" that Yellow guy is a real jerk I said hi and he gave me the cold shoulder." After their proposal was voted down the city guy calls me and says" The yellow guy talked to me today. He wanted to know how much we paid, hours, and overtime. I told him top pay was 15 an hour , no overtime, and it was the worse place I ever worked." I just laughed and said," none of that is true." He said" yeah I know but screw that guy he is a jerk." Just funny how when he thinks he is about to lose his job he wants to be nice and talk.

I have been in ltl freight for 25 yrs union. Dock and city hostler, when on the dock any time I had a non union driver that needed to be unloaded I would treat him as anyone else union or not.I look at it this way were all out here for the same reason. I bet ya one thing though that rude union driver you speak of? if he were the non union driver and you were the union driver. I would bet you dollars to donuts that he would be the same way and be a as%hole to you because he wasn't union. and you were. Just my 2 cents

You are probably right. Maybe the guy is just a jerk. I never had a problem with any other union drivers. I just thought it was funny that he was asking about a nonunion job.

How dare you speak to them. Know your place.

Guardrail

Its not like that, maybe the guy was just a *****...I used to have some contact with the LTL guys, not often but when I did try and talk with them they gave me the cold shoulder, well, the nons did, maybe they were intimidated by the fact that my trailer got unloaded by hand and most of theirs by forktruck, maybe they thought I would beat them up good. Probably they were in a hurry or just unhappy jerky people.

Its not like that, maybe the guy was just a *****...I used to have some contact with the LTL guys, not often but when I did try and talk with them they gave me the cold shoulder, well, the nons did, maybe they were intimidated by the fact that my trailer got unloaded by hand and most of theirs by forktruck, maybe they thought I would beat them up good. Probably they were in a hurry or just unhappy jerky people.

Probably just knew you were a closet fog light lover.

Jerky?
Peppered or teriyaki?
RC prefers kippered.

GT ain't never had people jerky, GT figures they would taste better with pepper and teriyaki, GT figures ifin things get bad enough he may find out.

GT might send RC a big bag of rich people jerky if the poop hits the fan, RC can decide then.

I would support organizing, and for a fee different reasons. I've seen some good people loose their jobs over really dumb reasons, where the union would've saved them. Senority is preached but not followed, if it benefits Fedex. It also would eliminate being drug in the office alone with 2 people from management. No more little dictators making up rules to harass drivers, they can but you can atleast fight back. PAY we lost out on raises that Harrisburg and Baltimore got that were way higher than us, but were told every day we out perform them. There's a lot of good that will come form organizing Fedex freight.

Sent from my C525c using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I would support organizing, and for a fee different reasons. I've seen some good people loose their jobs over really dumb reasons, where the union would've saved them. Senority is preached but not followed, if it benefits Fedex. It also would eliminate being drug in the office alone with 2 people from management. No more little dictators making up rules to harass drivers, they can but you can atleast fight back. PAY we lost out on raises that Harrisburg and Baltimore got that were way higher than us, but were told every day we out perform them. There's a lot of good that will come form organizing Fedex freight.

Sent from my C525c using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I agree, there is no consistency with the rules