FedEx Freight | UNION: Organize, or not?

Work it out, really? First you need something to work with. Not at stalag 13! Our beloved col klink and sgt schultz are reluctant and refuse to address the issues. They can't even read a map. Funny though, we as drivers have to learn a route. I'm surprised dispatch can find his way home. But, that's not the only issues. It's far more than that. I don't believe any of the employees would even consider a union if it weren't for renegade management and stupidity.

Ever notice you have to be a red shirt if you oppose a union? It can't simply be that the driver sees the union for what it is; bloated and poorly managed. He has to be a renegade with a hidden agenda. The rhetoric never changes....

Big Lee That sounds Like Our Management @Our Barn. I Never Said I Was Pro or Anti Union All I Did Was Point Out The Facts.When Someone Keeps Going On And On Kinda Makes You Think Thats All.

I agree with what you say, and will add that I would never associate with an organization that has a history of using various forms of violence, intimidation, coercion, threats, and the most important: mob thug mentality when the going gets tough and/or has history of taking companies down the dumper. I have no use for people that on the surface are nice normal people but the minute the heat gets turned up they turn to the above, and then we all have to exist in a "loaded" or "on edge" crap environment. Sorry, this is just a job, we all go to work to earn money to live. I prefer a happy mindset at work. This isn't life on the mean streets therefor necessitating tough guy mob mentality at the drop of a hat. No thanks. Of course this does not apply to all union members, many are along for the ride and not really involved other than paying dues and collecting a check. The union is not the answer, IMO.
Self critique and reality check is. Someone who is not open to criticism is suspect, always complaining about one thing or another, seems to have constant issues, is written up often, thinks there is favoritism, wonders why they get crap runs, or that the supervisors have it in for them, on and on......that is the problem typically. Just resorting to organizing doesn't address the "individual"l concern. Attitude is the biggest problem (but you can't tell them that....they aren't the problem at all in their mind) So you get a group of individuals with severe personal issues that haven't sorted themselves out and they get into a group and think "unionize.....yeah, that'll fix it" Have fun.

Isn't this just a slick, well-worded way of calling us all malcontents again? Violent ones at that. Thanks for the sincereity. SMH.

Isn't this just a slick, well-worded way of calling us all malcontents again? Violent ones at that. Thanks for the sincereity. SMH.
Hey I can apologize if that's the way I am coming off, I apologize sincerely. I don't..... you know........ like, you know, what that other guy posted about me going on and on and on not liking (don't want to make purple hazes head explode!!:1904::). Some just miss what I'm stating here, and perhaps you take my "beating a dead horse" approach as a blanket statement. That's not what I'm trying to beat the horse about, I may come off just generalizing but I'd think most who care to read "my" posts get where I'm coming from. I have a rock solid never no way absolutely not till death opinion when it comes to that issue. OK, no more from me. Later :wavey:

Big Lee That sounds Like Our Management @Our Barn. I Never Said I Was Pro or Anti Union All I Did Was Point Out The Facts.When Someone Keeps Going On And On Kinda Makes You Think Thats All.

PH, no harm here. At the end of the day I think unions get voted in or out based on whether the folks voting see value in what the union offers. In this day and age most don't see any value, given the union track record, so in order to try to sell the unions their supporters often stoop to threats, fear mongering and lies.

I for one don't feel the need for the unions. Most of the guys at our terminal that want a union are the slack off type that just want to milk the clock more and not have to worry about getting in trouble. I come in and do my job that I was hired to do. If you don't like your job here at FedEx then start looking else where. I don't feel having to pay to keep a job is worth it. I can protect myself just fine if anything comes up. I have been thrown under the bus many times at my terminal for things I didn't do and the guys doing it are the ones with less seniority trying to get someone fired so they can move up a spot. Plus if we do go union I could not stand to being on strike, getting union strike pay and the union guys still asking for their dues. Unions today are not like they were in the 60-70 and mid 80s. They don't care about the people they represent, they only care about the money that gets put in their wallets.

PH, no harm here. At the end of the day I think unions get voted in or out based on whether the folks voting see value in what the union offers. In this day and age most don't see any value, given the union track record, so in order to try to sell the unions their supporters often stoop to threats, fear mongering and lies.

Threat, fear mongering, and lies. Don't we already get that?

I for one don't feel the need for the unions. Most of the guys at our terminal that want a union are the slack off type that just want to milk the clock more and not have to worry about getting in trouble. I come in and do my job that I was hired to do. If you don't like your job here at FedEx then start looking else where. I don't feel having to pay to keep a job is worth it. I can protect myself just fine if anything comes up. I have been thrown under the bus many times at my terminal for things I didn't do and the guys doing it are the ones with less seniority trying to get someone fired so they can move up a spot. Plus if we do go union I could not stand to being on strike, getting union strike pay and the union guys still asking for their dues. Unions today are not like they were in the 60-70 and mid 80s. They don't care about the people they represent, they only care about the money that gets put in their wallets.

I don't have the love it of leave it attitude. I think people that have been here a long time and see it going down the tubes have a right to stay and try to change things, they have invested too much time to just leave.

If you don't feel the need for a union, that is your right. This discussion isn't intended to force an opinion one way or another, but to open up a line of communication that we can't have at work. From the 1st post I asked that everybody be respectful of each sides opinions, and not bring propaganda to the table. If all you know is propaganda then ask questions or do some research to either support or refute it.

It's an insult to hard working people that care about the company and their jobs to categorize them as lazy, slacking mal-contents. What I see recurring in many of these posts is “I used to be against, but now I'm listening". That should be telling you something, no? There are going to be folks firmly against, firmly for, and a large group in the middle on this issue. Do yourself a favor and make your stand on what you know, and not what you've heard. If all you have is name calling stereotypical comments, it's normally because you have nothing else to contribute. If you don't want to organize, you have a vote.

We've all had the anti-union propaganda force fed to us over the years. Preaching the company provided propaganda to people that have sat in those same meetings just falls on deaf ears. Any level headed thinking individual has got to see that its biased information that has some truths, and as many lies. "The unions just want your money. You don't need to give it to them, we've got your back" Heard this one? Although as with any business, I'm sure there is a level of truth to the union wanting your money, they also give you something for that money. Depending on what type of contract is agreed upon, those dues normally get you health insurance, and are tax deductible contributions to boot. I was talking with a Union member the other day, he told me his dues are $58.00 /month, which includes his family health insurance. How much are you paying now?

As for the unions caring about us/you, it’s like anything else in this world. You have to stay involved and let your voice be heard to get what you want. If you sit back and let somebody else drive the car, you can't complain about where it drops you off. If you don't like the direction, you've got to provide input! I'm not claiming the union provides Unicorns and free feed to keep them alive. Like all things in life there are pros and cons to everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to start a fresh thread on this subject as the first one had a lot of input from unaffected parties, and I'm hoping that we can get a mature/respectful discussion and exchange of thoughts and ideas. For those of us that have put in a considerable amount of thought, time, and research in getting to this point, we are just asking that you have an open mind during this process. There are valid points on both sides of this issue. Please realize that Company supplied propaganda is just that. The Companies main goal is to scare you into submission, and the deck is stacked in their favor. You used the internet to get to this board, please, please....use it to educate yourself on this subject.

We're all on the same team. We all want job security, reward for the sacrifices we've shared to help make this Company profitable, and to be treated with respect from Management. We all want to do a great job by safely and efficiently working together, and not do things that hurt the Company. With that in mind, we don't appreciate the Company using us as the expendable unit to be deleted like a number on a spreadsheet. The last 6 years has been a rough economy to say the least. An economy that we the employees have all sacrificed through near stagnant salary, less hours, less miles, IRA matching contributions, higher health care contributions with lower coverage, loss of bonuses, and the loss of many of our co-workers through both layoffs and attrition. Many have been walked to the parking lot for trivial matters, and many more are leaving because they see the writing on the wall. We have sacrificed our share for the most part without complaint, until they started going too far.

This board is our best forum for discussion at this point. Please, spread the word to fellow Dock Workers, Drivers, Part Timers, and other affected employees to join in. Beware…Management does monitor this board, so I would suggest making sure you take the necessary precautions to remain anonymous. In discussing issues, let’s be respectful and leave individuals names out of the mix if/when referring to Management personnel.

I would like to tell you guys that just because you would want ti organize doies not mean that you hate or must hate your company. The union does wreck a company.
New Penn guys dont all hate there company and we have won many many awards as voted by customers. We are the best in the northeast.
YOu have a right in america and it should be honored...
ITs not just about your job either. ITs about the country.
CHeck out stuff about the transpacific partnership.......we need help fighting stuff like that to keep jobs here.....the business side has too much power and it needs to be curbed by working peple cause they are selling us out on trade deals.

Before the buyout we Teamsters and Roadway were really headed in the right direction. Management started replacing supervisors with Teamsters. At the terminal I worked at, we Teamsters ran both the inbound and outbound shifts. mud was the senior driver and decision maker on a four man outbound shift for two years. My point is, a union and company can work together.

:stirthepot: Back in the day when it was American Freightways most of us would never have dreamed of going union. We had great raises(average .65) we were not talked down to like we are now and the company paid our Insurance Premiums. Sheridan took care of us and we took care of him. We did our job to the best of our ability and we were rewarded for it. Now, I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling. All I hear now is hurry up, your going to miss service, you need to work on your bills per hour, don't scan to many bills at once or your name will end up some stupid report. It's all about the numbers. Before I wouldn't unionize but now it's a different story. FedEx has proven time and again they don't care about their employee's. The hand writing is on the wall. More and more freight heads out the door on truck load carriers or to the rail yard while drivers sit at home. What is to keep FedEx from running the rest of the road runs with other 3rd party companies and eliminating all road runs except for shuttle runs as they need the drivers to work the dock? I have been here over 20 years. I used to like going to work, even working the dock, but I am fed up with all the BS and no job security that is left with this company. Push comes to shove and the drivers will be gone. No drivers, no benefits and they save millions. Give me a card, I will sign it.
:bgroovy:

We all should have received or should be receiving a mailer from our pension fund. Very interesting reading. Read it carefully, especially the MAP21 portion. New rules allow the company to underfund the pension dramatically. Yes, they make the minimum required contribution, but if interest rates don't jump up, they are way behind. Something to remember when someone tells you how messed up the Teamster funds are.
Grab your calculator and do the math. Divide the total assets of the pension fund by the number of participants. This is the average amount of money each of us is due. My calculator said 10K. Rather pales in comparison to the figure in the annual report in regards to Fred's pension.

I would like to tell you guys that just because you would want ti organize doies not mean that you hate or must hate your company. The union does wreck a company.
New Penn guys dont all hate there company and we have won many many awards as voted by customers. We are the best in the northeast.
YOu have a right in america and it should be honored...
ITs not just about your job either. ITs about the country.
CHeck out stuff about the transpacific partnership.......we need help fighting stuff like that to keep jobs here.....the business side has too much power and it needs to be curbed by working peple cause they are selling us out on trade deals.

Thank you to sharpshooter who alerting me to this edit although i'm too late to edit it ccorrectlly because i've been busy.

The union does NOT wreck a company.
Management doesnt want unions cause it's easier for them without.
THat doesnt pay your bills.
THey are worried about them.
IF New Penn can be best under NMFA contract so can ANYBODYelse, if they are competitive enough.

SEarch unionbusting 101 on the web and youtube...it shows how low and evil unionbusters are.

THey are the type who would tell blacks to ride the back of the bus even though the law says differentlly....no good oppressors.