FedEx Freight | UNION: Organize, or not?

I'm not taking sides on for or against the Union. I just hate to think how bad the pay and bennies woud be in LTL had they not existed. One only has to look at the truckload side of the industry for that scary scenario.

"FedEx pays OT after 8 and after 40. We pay a lot of the Union benefits to keep the Union out."
They should also state, that they will do anything possible to avoid ever having to pay that OT, including over staffing and 4/10 schedules for longer city runs...lol

Especially the last few years here at fedex freight it would appear that management and the company for that matter has a habit of bending the rules to suit their own needs. Favoritism runs amok with their personal little boys ( and girls) they seem to take better care of. For instance, at bottom of board and always gets one day off a week, drives a better truck without ferrings and a working ac. Are allowed to defer deliveries that they say cant get a van into when we can back the queen mary into their dock. Never have food service dels or anything that requires inside delivery.....(yes i'm venting). You see this type of behavior day in and day out. What does it do to moral? Eventually it spreads to other employees who say that they cant do it either because their back hurts in which its probably true at some point in time because we all have a back and in a profession in which we use it often. When these stops in question are up for delivery again, now there are only a handful of people who can do them. Do we need a union here? Will a union put a stop to these actions? I don't know so guys please tell me. The squeaky wheel gets the grease as we know but what about the employee who comes in every day on time, never turns down anything, never calls hr ( because no one cares there anyway) and basicly does their job as supposed to. Will a union make me as equal as the stool pigeon? If so this driver is all for it. Good day Gentlemen and Hooty out to do his 3 pushups and take his geritol.

"FedEx pays OT after 8 and after 40. We pay a lot of the Union benefits to keep the Union out." This was said in my interview at FXF. That being said, if there were no Union, there wouldn't be some of the companies matching some of their benefits. The Union companies are the standard of the industry. The Union has made it better for all in one way or another in this industry. The Union has benefited all whether for it or not.

Wow,they lied to you right off the bat!

Favoritism runs amok with their personal little boys ( and girls) they seem to take better care of. For instance, at bottom of board and always gets one day off a week, drives a better truck without ferrings and a working ac. Are allowed to defer deliveries that they say cant get a van into when we can back the queen mary into their dock. Never have food service dels or anything that requires inside delivery.....(yes i'm venting). You see this type of behavior day in and day out. What does it do to moral? When these stops in question are up for delivery again, now there are only a handful of people who can do them. Do we need a union here? Will a union put a stop to these actions? I don't know so guys please tell me.

Anyone that bemoans "favoritism" or uses a condescending term such as "little boys and girls" and then thinks (as it seems to appear) that somehow begging an organization to come in expounding pie in the sky fairy tales and that they will then magically level the playing field, make things equal, better or set things right is simply being foolish. The problem is not, again, IS NOT these workers. What appears to be favoritism bestowed upon these little boys and girls (as you refer to, yet in reality using such terms only spotlights your envy, jealousy and quite simply...your shortcomings as a person and worker) is just how one is dealt with that comes in with the ethic and does what is required with the attitude demanded by the company that pays for said attitude and work ethic. That you have issue with these people tells me you are the problem. Lose the attitude, come in and do the work, lose the attitude, don't stand around worrying about what someone else is or isn't doing. Don't stand around with customers spilling bile complaining....but no, all that isn't the problem. No, it's the one's who perform day in and day out. Yep, they are the problem. And you're gonna get the union in to fix it. Yeah, right! The reason why the union will never get a foot in the door at Fed Ex? Too many azzbusters doing what they make damgood money to do. Working hard, giving them what they want. This union talk makes me laugh. You supporters are soooooo silly, especially regarding a post like that. You may think you're going to get them in here and fix it. Hahaha, never..... blind fools. :LMAO: I cant't help myself....it's like a train wreck, I can't stop looking at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone that bemoans "favoritism" or uses a condescending term such as "little boys and girls" and then thinks (as it seems to appear) that somehow begging an organization to come in expounding pie in the sky fairy tales and that they will then magically level the playing field, make things equal, better or set things right is simply a fool. The problem is not, again, IS NOT these workers. What appears to be favoritism bestowed upon these little boys and girls (as you refer to, yet in reality using such terms only spotlights your envy, jealousy and quite simply...your shortcomings as a person and worker) is just how one is dealt with that comes in with the ethic and does what is required with the attitude demanded by the company that pays for said attitude and work ethic. That you have issue with these people tells me you are the problem. Lose the attitude, come in and do the work, lose the attitude, don't stand around worrying about what someone else is or isn't doing. Don't stand around with customers spilling bile complaining....but no, your type isn't he problem. No, it's the one's who perform day in and day out. Yep, they are the problem. And you're gonna get the union in to fix it. Yeah, right! The reason why the union will never get a foot in the door at Fed Ex? Too many azzbusters doing what they make damgood money to do. Working hard, giving them what they want. This union talk makes me laugh. You supporters are soooooo stupid. You think you're going to get them in here and fix it. Hahaha blind fools. :LMAO: I cant't help myself....it's like a train wreck, can't stop looking at it.

If they've been working so hard why do they give freight from you to ground and others? Is it outside carriers?
KEep doing what they want and they will do what they want.......and their profits come before your rewards for busting butt.
Your hard labors have given them enough cash to look into building a new Ground major distribution center in the Lehigh Valley....
Another myth: Hard work pays.
It might pay somebody, but that dont sound like its gonna pay you.

That Lehigh Valley Ground hub is gonna be the largest hub on planet Earth according to the story. 75,000 pkgs/hr.

I saw a thread over here saying ground is already taking Freight's freight.

LOoks like they'll be able to handle a little more with that.

Yup. HARD WORK PAYS SOMEBODY ALRIGHT. Just not you.

That Lehigh Valley Ground hub is gonna be the largest hub on planet Earth according to the story. 75,000 pkgs/hr.

I saw a thread over here saying ground is already taking Freight's freight.

LOoks like they'll be able to handle a little more with that.

Yup. HARD WORK PAYS SOMEBODY ALRIGHT. Just not you.

It will be kind of interesting how they get the skids off there trailers since they don't own a forklift that I know of???

Are they going to put in oversize conveyors that will handle a 1500lb skid???

Did you notice they said 75,000 (pkgs) an hour, that would be P A C K A G E S, not freight!!!

If they've been working so hard why do they give freight from you to ground and others? Is it outside carriers?
KEep doing what they want and they will do what they want.......and their profits come before your rewards for busting butt.
Your hard labors have given them enough cash to look into building a new Ground major distribution center in the Lehigh Valley....
Another myth: Hard work pays.
It might pay somebody, but that dont sound like its gonna pay you.

All I can say is I have seen nothing written anywhere within the company manuals that I have that states I have any input into how this company runs its business or makes operating decisions. If I don't like that, I have options. I'm still looking for all the guarantees in life for everything as it relates to me at any given time........not really, just being sarcastic. "I" know there are no guarantees.

It will be kind of interesting how they get the skids off there trailers since they don't own a forklift that I know of???

Are they going to put in oversize conveyors that will handle a 1500lb skid???

Did you notice they said 75,000 (pkgs) an hour, that would be P A C K A G E S, not freight!!!

Read posts 9 and 10 in the "ground hauling our freight" thread.....maybe read the rest oif it too.
If they buikd the larghest hub on earth they will have plenty of owner operators around. Dont know your whole system but that thread + that huge hub = a leverage to be used at will to cut costs......FEDEX wont have to deal with obamacare with the owner operators will they?

Read posts 9 and 10 in the "ground hauling our freight" thread.....maybe read the rest oif it too.
If they buikd the larghest hub on earth they will have plenty of owner operators around. Dont know your whole system but that thread + that huge hub = a leverage to be used at will to cut costs......FEDEX wont have to deal with obamacare with the owner operators will they?

Sorry to burst your bubble, They already pull our trailers when were in a pinch, and around Xmas time when they're busy, we have drivers pull there trailers with our tractors, nothing new???

If you think joining a union would change who hauls our freight, go over to the UPS Freight forum and ask them how that's working out for them. If Im not mistaken, they have a lot more outside carriers hauling there freight than we do. Do they get to vote on these types of things, why yes they do, how is that working out for them???

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is I have seen nothing written anywhere within the company manuals that I have that states I have any input into how this company runs its business or makes operating decisions. If I don't like that, I have options. I'm still looking for all the guarantees in life for everything as it relates to me at any given time........not really, just being sarcastic. "I" know there are no guarantees.

Do you have a copy of this manual or is it on a computer file somewhere to be changed when the situation deems it necessary only to be changed back the next day?

Sorry to burst your bubble, They already pull our trailers when were in a pinch, and around Xmas time when they're busy, we have drivers pull there trailers with our tractors, nothing new???

If you think joining a union would change who hauls our freight, go over to the UPS Freight forum and ask them how that's working out for them. If Im not mistaken, they have a lot more outside carriers hauling there freight than we do. Do they get to vote on these types of things, why yes they do, how is that working out for them???

With more people in the game, it would most probably work better for them and you......it's the standing alone thing which gives the companies the edge to do what they do. If your company can do whatever it wants do to no legally binding contract, that puts the rest of us in a bad spot and in turn keeps you there also. When Hoffa senior was in charge he had alot of companies in the game.....but now with so many not in it makes it very difficult.

I think it might be time. They have gone too far. We need a voice of our own as drivers.

Be careful what you wish for. Ask the drivers over at KAG West in Los Angeles how going union worked out for them. They voted the Teamsters in 3 years ago, and having been through hell, are about to hold a "Decertification" election to kick them out. Seems the union told them all sorts of great things, and none of them have come true! Just a wild eyed sales pitch.

ST

Might not be the teamsters. We have a right to organize . How about forming our own association . Something like the police guild. Or a benevolence group. It would have no other purpose than to represent drivers in matters that effect us. I know I am not smart enough to figure it all out. I don't like how the company can take a driver and single him or her out and use the full force of management, legal, and HR, in order to take that person down and have no defense to protect there job and livelihood. Even criminals in our society are entitled to a rigorous defense. But us as drivers we are vulnerable and they can do to us whatever they want whenever they want. There is just too much at stake for our workgroup and we dears eve better in many aspects that effect us.

Be careful what you wish for. Ask the drivers over at KAG West in Los Angeles how going union worked out for them. They voted the Teamsters in 3 years ago, and having been through hell, are about to hold a "Decertification" election to kick them out. Seems the union told them all sorts of great things, and none of them have come true! Just a wild eyed sales pitch.

ST

It would be nice to know the facts. Maybe some suckups or no voters didnt get their way and management got the numbers for a decert election.
My hunch is a decert vote will come alot faster than the original vote.
That should show the bias in corp influence in govt over ours. What they want is fast and ours takes years.....that should be enough for an american worker to stand up for his right to join.

Might not be the teamsters. We have a right to organize . How about forming our own association . Something like the police guild. Or a benevolence group. It would have no other purpose than to represent drivers in matters that effect us. I know I am not smart enough to figure it all out. I don't like how the company can take a driver and single him or her out and use the full force of management, legal, and HR, in order to take that person down and have no defense to protect there job and livelihood. Even criminals in our society are entitled to a rigorous defense. But us as drivers we are vulnerable and they can do to us whatever they want whenever they want. There is just too much at stake for our workgroup and we dears eve better in many aspects that effect us.

I'm boggled by the drivers claiming the company beats up on them all the time. I'm a 30+ year Road driver, and I can count the number of times I've been beat up on one hand. I go to work, I do my job, most of the time I keep my mouth shut and I collect a check and go home. I do make an occasional mistake. Usually nothing serious. I watch a bunch of my co-workers who do need a union, because they have terrible attitudes and the horrible work performance that goes hand in hand. They blame the company for all their personal problems, and claim the company doesn't show them enough "respect" when in fact their job performance and attitude preclude being respected.

Want respect? Earn it by doing the job safely and professionally day in and day out. Someone was complaining yesterday that it took them 45 minutes to hook and pre-trip a set. Get real, been doing it for 30+ years in 30 minutes without a problem. Quit standing around socializing with your co-workers and go earn your check.

ST Silent around my co-workers, especially the RedShirts....