FedEx Freight | UNION: Organize, or not?

I'm boggled by the drivers claiming the company beats up on them all the time. I'm a 30+ year Road driver, and I can count the number of times I've been beat up on one hand. I go to work, I do my job, most of the time I keep my mouth shut and I collect a check and go home. I do make an occasional mistake. Usually nothing serious. I watch a bunch of my co-workers who do need a union, because they have terrible attitudes and the horrible work performance that goes hand in hand. They blame the company for all their personal problems, and claim the company doesn't show them enough "respect" when in fact their job performance and attitude preclude being respected.

Want respect? Earn it by doing the job safely and professionally day in and day out. Someone was complaining yesterday that it took them 45 minutes to hook and pre-trip a set. Get real, been doing it for 30+ years in 30 minutes without a problem. Quit standing around socializing with your co-workers and go earn your check.

ST Silent around my co-workers, especially the RedShirts....

There is merit to this thought. Perhaps it is no coincidence that the people I have come across both at my terminal and drivers from other barns that complain the most about the company are the mouthiest and the first ones looking to take shortcuts or get out of work.

I'm boggled by the drivers claiming the company beats up on them all the time. I'm a 30+ year Road driver, and I can count the number of times I've been beat up on one hand. I go to work, I do my job, most of the time I keep my mouth shut and I collect a check and go home. I do make an occasional mistake. Usually nothing serious. I watch a bunch of my co-workers who do need a union, because they have terrible attitudes and the horrible work performance that goes hand in hand. They blame the company for all their personal problems, and claim the company doesn't show them enough "respect" when in fact their job performance and attitude preclude being respected.

Want respect? Earn it by doing the job safely and professionally day in and day out. Someone was complaining yesterday that it took them 45 minutes to hook and pre-trip a set. Get real, been doing it for 30+ years in 30 minutes without a problem. Quit standing around socializing with your co-workers and go earn your check.

You folks that have nothing more to contribute than "my life is great, my 30+ years of seniority and my 3000+ miles a week completely insulates me from the problems and whining coming from you sluffers" amuse me! Although every job has the type of people you so flagrantly pool all of us into, I can say with 100% confidence that at least at my location, this is not the case. Many of us in the middle to lower part of the seniority see that making it to 30+ years with this company is going to take a near miracle, at least on the road side of the board. Those of us that spent many years working the shuttle runs/working the dock are seeing with every new bid that it's soon going to be our only choice again, and those below will go from the shuttles to scraping to get work everyday. It's not because we don't have freight, but because it's going elsewhere. If your 30+ years has you working on the City side, I know at least at my location, the City hasn't experienced a single layoff.

You want your opinion respected? Look beyond "I, ME, and MINE" and look at the many other drivers around you that do exactly what you claim is the road to happiness, but are subject to the nonsense you don't see in your daily 10-20 minutes of interaction with anybody other than your truck and meet driver. The company you worked for to get to 30+ years no longer exists, it was bought out several years ago. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but is your opinion based on name calling and generalizations or actual fact?

I see a lot of playground logic and assumptions...

Last edited by a moderator:

Where did I ever say the company beats up on drivers all the time..my point is what I said. Our group has a lot at stake in this business. Maybe a smart idea to have something on our side looking out for our interest.

Man what a post! You hit the nail on the head dead center. One whack!!! Nail driven home. Truth is truth.....and it hurts to hear it for some of these people unfortunately. But, the fact of the matter is it's guy's/gals like you with a proper attitude that understands they work for someone else and can either take it or leave it, that comes to work, does the job, and goes home and lives life. People around you in all aspects of your job notice the ethic. Well said brother!

Man what a post! You hit the nail on the head dead center. One whack!!! Nail driven home. Truth is truth.....and it hurts to hear it for some of these people unfortunately. But, the fact of the matter is it's guy's/gals like you with a proper attitude that understands they work for someone else and can either take it or leave it, that comes to work, does the job, and goes home and lives life. People around you in all aspects of your job notice the ethic. Well said brother!

Your complete lack of a grasp of reality, is abhorrent. How in the hell do you know of anyone's work ethic on here? Really. Shove yourself away from the table next time the company starts showing an anti union propaganda film. You've bought in hook, line, and sinker. It's no wonder this company has no fear with dealing with us, when it has stooges like you working for them. Yes, massa, I take whuteva yous giben. SMDH.

Man what a post! You hit the nail on the head dead center. One whack!!! Nail driven home. Truth is truth.....and it hurts to hear it for some of these people unfortunately. But, the fact of the matter is it's guy's/gals like you with a proper attitude that understands they work for someone else and can either take it or leave it, that comes to work, does the job, and goes home and lives life. People around you in all aspects of your job notice the ethic. Well said brother![/QUOT.

Your complete lack of a grasp of reality, is abhorrent. How in the hell do you know of anyone's work ethic on here? Really. Shove yourself away from the table next time the company starts showing an anti union propaganda film. You've bought in hook, line, and sinker. It's no wonder this company has no fear with dealing with us, when it has stooges like you working for them. Yes, massa, I take whuteva yous giben. SMDH.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!

Heh-heh keep up the good fight there sirs, you're an asset here. But yes, the Kool-Aid is refreshing, we got lots of it for everyone. Come join the party :flame:

The p&d and line haul operation is the biggest expense the company has. Everyone of the big wigs who never drive a truck and sit on their ass behind a desk all day try to prove to each other how smart they are by coming up with ideas on how to tell us drivers how to do our job better and how my idea will save the company money. Then we get to deal with it good or bad. The company looks at us for one reason mainly and that is the work we provide out on the road for them. Because we are the biggest expense we have the biggest incentive for them to push us in a direction that is more beneficial to them than us. Not every person has the ability to become a dot certified commercial driver. The job is difficult and demanding and it takes a special breed of person who can perform the service we provide to the company. Because of that we are extremely valuable and in demand in the company and in the trucking industry. The company wants to advance and protect their interest and they have assets to do so. Us as drivers right now we don't have anything at all like the company has to protect and advance our interest and our stake in what we have here.

All I am saying is if their is a way for us as drivers to have a way to protect and advance our interest in this company that we provide a valuable service and work for we would be wise to think about that. In a way that would be good for us and the company both is what I would prefer I am not interested in fighting or haggling or bickering. I really just want it to be fair for all involved.

I will say ST 30 years and seniority kinda make your vision different than typical drivers at freight.
Hang out on the patio for a bit and have some steroid junky crawl up your ass about production. Lunches. Hot freight and all while you bring home 600$ bucks for the week.
Your situation is not typical like the one I just laid out.
Still a big ST fan and congrats on 30+ years mister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk