FedEx Freight | Union....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have seen personally what the union has done to YRC. Why would you want their poison over here? We probably will get enhancements to our pay and benefits but it will be due to the competition for qualified drivers due to the current shortage. The union is definitely not the answer. All of their steam is gone. A current UPSF driver told me about the blowing the horn deal. I don't know which horn he meant, but have no reason to think he would lie for no reason. By the way I heard that because of their marginal CSA score that YRC was implementing much harsher rules as well.
What is a blowing of the horn deal? I am a current UPSF employee of 30 years and I have never heard of this term.

I think hes talking about package cars having to beep when they backup.
Ok, well we at UPSF also have these rules but still do not understand what point he was trying to make regarding UPSF. Maybe his point was the fact that we all have company rules union or not. The company can make any company policy's they want. The difference is that if you are non union they can fire you at will for not following the rules. Example: Your supervisor has it out for you and you did not blow your horn when you backed up. You are terminated! In a union barn this would never happen.

Ok, well we at UPSF also have these rules but still do not understand what point he was trying to make regarding UPSF. Maybe his point was the fact that we all have company rules union or not. The company can make any company policy's they want. The difference is that if you are non union they can fire you at will for not following the rules. Example: Your supervisor has it out for you and you did not blow your horn when you backed up. You are terminated! In a union barn this would never happen.
He has no idea about what work rules are at other companies, union or non. His only experiences are from what Fedex has fed him.

You have seen personally what the union has done to YRC. Why would you want their poison over here? We probably will get enhancements to our pay and benefits but it will be due to the competition for qualified drivers due to the current shortage. The union is definitely not the answer. All of their steam is gone. A current UPSF driver told me about the blowing the horn deal. I don't know which horn he meant, but have no reason to think he would lie for no reason. By the way I heard that because of their marginal CSA score that YRC was implementing much harsher rules as well.

I have seen what corporate greed does to companies by using employees like dirt rags while racking in millions of operating dollars in the guise of 'golden parachutes' (thanks to congress and to the army of corporate lawyers that protected this phenomenon). Also, the Union actually helped out YRC in trying to keep them afloat financially. The biggest grumble from the Union was when YRC bought out Roadway. They were against such a move, but YRC executives went for it. At that point it was a war between Roadway and YRC executives in how much they could **** from the corporate coffers. This created a percentage of YRC going down hill. In reality, it had nothing to do with the Union or the employees and they took the brunt of the hit financially. It was all bad planning, bad management and bad coordination to make and pursue sales and to push the freight. I've seen stupid things that upper management did that cost the company customers and this left many workers baffled. A good example is when Yellow and Roadway finally merged. YRC took on Roadways computer system and shut the lights off on their own systems, only to find that they 'lost' a good chunk of their freight. There was trailer loads of freight sitting in our yard for months and YRC lost countless millions in claims. Why? It had nothing to do with union or the employees, but with upper management fighting internally over what they thought was best while protecting and grabbing what dough they could lay their hands on. Essentially, they were the ones to blame for YRC's downfall. Go take a look at what some of the executives make at YRC - it's obscene. This link is only for the top few, this does not include the countless other executive minions making millions also, all of this at the expense of their workforce. https://www.tdu.org/media/top-yrc-execs-welch-pierson-see-pay-rise-2013

Where everyone gets their info that Unions destroyed YRC is a falsehood. Essentially, its upper management greed that kills companies. As current, Teamsters hold a large chunk of stock in YRC, which YRC is supposed to buy back, if they haven't already. Hoffa Jr. went to the banks and convinced them to make loans into YRC. All this is documented, and anyone can find out the truth. The other bit of info is that Union company employees make more than non-union, which seems to stick in non-union companies throats. Is this not the point of Unions? To make better wages, better employees, better health care, better retirements, better working conditions when compared to other non-union companies?

On the CSA scores, you are right. YRC is operating a rag-tag fleet of out-dated units. From what I understand from the people I know there, YRC has started buying new model Volvos. Which brings me to this point, Fed Ex is also operating plenty of run down Kenworths and Volvos. Where I work, the units are pretty run down and well over the million mile mark and still pushing freight.

Will YRC survive? I've changed opinions time and again on this, but I think they will survive, but no where near where they once were and they will still be union. But who knows? Maybe they will crawl out of the hole and be a major player again.

Last edited:
What exactly did the union do to yrc? And the CSA score has to do with hazmat paperwork which is a management problem.
The CSA score encompasses many things such as faulty equipment, logging violations such as hours of service etc. as well as hazmat. It can get a carrier Shut Down. How is that a management only problem? As far as the union deal the "that's not my job" mentality contributes to bad productivity and poor profits. I don't recall seeing YRC drivers being very urgent about their duties like we are at Fedex. Just saying.....

I have seen what corporate greed does to companies by using employees like dirt rags. Also, the Union actually helped out YRC in trying to keep them afloat financially. The biggest grumble from the Union was when YRC bought out Roadway. They were against such a move, but YRC executives went for it. At that point it was a war between Roadway and YRC executives in how much they could **** from the corporate coffers. This created a percentage of YRC going down hill. In reality, it had nothing to do with the Union or the employees and they took the brunt of the hit financially. It was all bad planning, bad management and bad coordination to make and pursue sales and to push the freight. I've seen stupid things that upper management did that cost the company customers and this left many workers baffled. A good example is when Yellow and Roadway finally merged. YRC took on Roadways computer system and shut the lights off on their own systems, only to find that they 'lost' a good chunk of their freight. There was freight sitting in our yard for months and YRC lost millions in claims. Why? It had nothing to do with union or the employees, but with upper management fighting internally over what they thought was best. Where everyone gets their info that Unions destroyed YRC is a falsehood. Essentially, its upper management greed that kills companies. As current, Teamsters hold a large chunk of stock in YRC, which YRC is supposed to buy back, if they haven't already. Hoffa Jr. went to the banks and convinced them to make loans into YRC. All this is documented, and anyone can find out the truth. The other bit of info is that Union company employees make more than non-union, which seems to stick in non-union companies throats. Is this not the point of Unions? To make better wages, better employees, better health care, better retirements, better working conditions when compared to other non-union companies?

On the CSA scores, you are right. YRC is operating a rag-tag fleet of out-dated units. From what I understand from the people I know there, YRC has started buying new model Volvos. Which brings me to this point, Fed Ex is also operating plenty of run down Kenworths and Volvos. Where I work, the units are pretty run down and well over the million mile mark and still pushing freight.

Will YRC survive? I've changed opinions time and again on this, but I think they will survive, but no where near where they once were and they will still be union. But who knows? Maybe they will crawl out of the hole and be a major player again.
I guess ABF must have taken their paycuts and concessions due to poor management as well. We all know it couldn't be the unions fault right. Lol. As far as the pay both of those companies pay less per hr. and mile than Fedex. And as far as better employees I don't think so. If they are so great maybe you should try to get your old job back instead of ruining ours.

The CSA score encompasses many things such as faulty equipment, logging violations such as hours of service etc. as well as hazmat. It can get a carrier Shut Down. How is that a management only problem? As far as the union deal the "that's not my job" mentality contributes to bad productivity and poor profits. I don't recall seeing YRC drivers being very urgent about their duties like we are at Fedex. Just saying.....
Wow! spoken just like a anti union manager. Have you seen every YRC driver not being urgent? What kind of statement was that?

Yrc's csa problems are hazmat and maintenance. BOTH are managment problems. And I see plenty Fedex drivers out there clock sucking.

I guess ABF must have taken their paycuts and concessions due to poor management as well. We all know it couldn't be the unions fault right. Lol. As far as the pay both of those companies pay less per hr. and mile than Fedex. And as far as better employees I don't think so. If they are so great maybe you should try to get your old job back instead of ruining ours.
Pay less per hour and per mile yet those union guys have bigger paychecks at the end of the week. After you pay for your cutrate benefits your take home is much smaller.

Really? Trying to toss around insults? I could well counter that, but why try? I'm saying essentially that we could have it far better than what we have now. Fed Ex has made a boat load of dough at our expense and I think, they can well afford to toss us a bone. If you're that scared to face reality, that scared to step up with the rest of us, then you should kindly step out of the way of those that want better pay and conditions.

I was a union employee at one point. I worked at YRC/Yellow. I left when the 'Amen' crowd voted in for wage and pension cuts on the second round of voting. Everyone was concerned about losing their jobs. I still know most of the guys still working there and they are essentially working for free and have no future retirement. YRC executives are reaping the rewards financially. I do like working at Fed Ex, which is why I came over here. Regardless if they become union or not, I plan on staying. Even though the company is basically ****** the working man over the coals, there are still some good points about working here. One is job security, two, it is the largest non-union carrier that offers something in terms of a fair health care plan - not the best, but better than most. Now, personally, I think the company should pay for medical. Why should we have to pay a good chunk of our check towards healthcare when the company is reaping massive profits? The retirement factor is a negative, I think Fed Ex can do substantially better for their employees. Do I think Union is the only way to go? Not necessarily, but it is a good tool for leverage.
I would have to agree with Purple Hammer, when you've seen first hand what the union has done to YRC, why would you want to bring that over here? Unless, of course, you agree with most union guys and blame company management and not the union.
As for me, I see it as a union/employee problem. The union has negotiated on the employees behalf to a point to where ABF has become unprofitable and YRC isn't far behind. I'm all for the employees getting there's but at the cost of future concessions or the closing of the doors isn't smart negotiating IMO.
You claim "they're ****** the working man over the coals", then why would you leave YRC to work for a company that allegedly treats their employees in such a manner? I do agree with the job security...as long as we remain union free. In joining the union we WOULD eventually become YRC/ABF, it's just a matter of time.
I agree on healthcare, it's not the best but it's a whole lot better than most. "A chunk of my check" doesn't go toward healthcare, only about $20 came out of my last weekly check...$12.46 family medical, $5.43 dental, $1.78 vision. Not exactly a burden on my family, I'm sure most of us **** away $20 a week!
As for the alledged "massive profits", I don't believe in "class warfare." I chose to be a driver, if I wanted to make "massive profits", I would've went to college and became a member of upper management.
As for retirement, our 401K and free pension plans aren't bad at all. It's up to us as employees to plan for our own retirement, it's not FedEx's responsibility, it's ours.

Really? Trying to toss around insults? I could well counter that, but why try? I'm saying essentially that we could have it far better than what we have now. Fed Ex has made a boat load of dough at our expense and I think, they can well afford to toss us a bone. If you're that scared to face reality, that scared to step up with the rest of us, then you should kindly step out of the way of those that want better pay and conditions.
Sorry but I'll have to stand with Hammer on this one. As I also oppose the union, I will NOT step out of the way so that you and others can push something to which I adamantly disagree with. I try not to insult anyone, but you'll not succeed without a fight from the anti's. (The use of the word "fight" was NOT a threat of bodily harm to anyone)...it's sad when one must use a disclaimer!!!
Again, not a fan of class warfare, if you want a piece of that "boat load" pie, I suggest you buy stock in the company...it pays well!!

As for retirement, our 401K and free pension plans aren't bad at all. It's up to us as employees to plan for our own retirement, it's not FedEx's responsibility, it's ours.[/QUOTE]

Is this the joke of the day lmao work here for 30 years and bring home less than unemployment. It's hard to save money when all it takes is one hospital stay and your bankrupt from having our fabulous health insurance. Not to mention were one of the lowest paid ltl's but we are still the largest, all this stuff makes perfect sense lol.

Sorry but I'll have to stand with Hammer on this one. As I also oppose the union, I will NOT step out of the way so that you and others can push something to which I adamantly disagree with. I try not to insult anyone, but you'll not succeed without a fight from the anti's. (The use of the word "fight" was NOT a threat of bodily harm to anyone)...it's sad when one must use a disclaimer!!!
Again, not a fan of class warfare, if you want a piece of that "boat load" pie, I suggest you buy stock in the company...it pays well!!

You droping peoples elbows again lmao

PH you must get your facts right son, if it weren't for the hard working Teamsters showing up for work everyday getting it done this mismanaged place called YRC would have sunk a long time ago. Some of the people in management are real good and do a very good job operating with what they have. Then there is the other side of management who couldn't run a lemonade stand. Why are they still here and getting paid for not doing their job???

I will tell you this son, I didn't join the Teamsters for the money, it was for the pride of doing my job well knowing I can't be fired for an unjust cause. Being respected and everybody being treated fair and well is important to me. Without the Teamsters a driver would be nothing and the career is turned into just a job.

Summarizing this post, I ask you this question if you're a real working man.....

"IF YOU THINK UNIONS ARE NO LONGER NEEDED, ASK YOURSELF:"
- Are capitalists less greedy?
- Are bosses more generous & humane?
- Are corporations no longer obsessed with squeezing labor cost?
- Can you honestly trust politicians to maintain workers protections when they rely on the investor class to fiance their campaigns?
A non union world will become a low wage world and it will worsen as "BIG MONEY" gets stronger...... As you said before, I'm just saying.....

Yrc's csa problems are hazmat and maintenance. BOTH are managment problems. And I see plenty Fedex drivers out there clock sucking.
When DOT shuts you down is it still not a problem for the union or employees? Seems like a big one to me. I won't say we don't have some feet draggers, all companies do. But for the most part good workers. The big difference is we are profitable whereas YRC and ABF aren't even with the concessions agreed to by your union. We don't need your kind of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.