Yellow | Velosity and UE COO Starts Tonight

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
The COO officially goes into effect tonight after midnight. It will be interesting how it all works out. We'll use this thread to document how it goes.

Winston has reset their dock for the change of freight levels and set up for the UE drivers. Most UE drivers coming into Winston were at the terminal this week learning how to use the computers on the forklifts. DS.

I'm ue in indy, running Cincinnati with yellow. 3 of us and they might add another, cuz they have 4 runs every night. Doing the math yellow saves $10 on the driver pay not counting putting my trailer to the dock, working the dock instead of sitting in the break room, and rehooking myself, same goes for my time in indy, hook and drop myself. Bottom line is the check is good and we have union representation and bennies. I'll do my job and hope the union keeps surviving.

I'm ue in indy, running Cincinnati with yellow. 3 of us and they might add another, cuz they have 4 runs every night. Doing the math yellow saves $10 on the driver pay not counting putting my trailer to the dock, working the dock instead of sitting in the break room, and rehooking myself, same goes for my time in indy, hook and drop myself. Bottom line is the check is good and we have union representation and bennies. I'll do my job and hope the union keeps surviving.

Just interested to know: are you pulling a van or pups. Just seems, to me, pulling a set of pups defeats the whole idea of velocity when you consider the amount of TIME required to hook and then break them back apart. I was told in Valdosta we would send two drivers a night to Atlanta. But I was also told they might pull pups which makes absolutely no sense. I think if Roadway is going to hinge its future on this, it should place a lot more priority on speed. Then, as the program gets rolling, adjust where it needs. However, THE NUMBER 1 PRIORITY SHOULD BE SPEED.

im hoping it goes as well as that last next best thing did ......................... sleeper teams lmao

Just interested to know: are you pulling a van or pups. Just seems, to me, pulling a set of pups defeats the whole idea of velocity when you consider the amount of TIME required to hook and then break them back apart. I was told in Valdosta we would send two drivers a night to Atlanta. But I was also told they might pull pups which makes absolutely no sense. I think if Roadway is going to hinge its future on this, it should place a lot more priority on speed. Then, as the program gets rolling, adjust where it needs. However, THE NUMBER 1 PRIORITY SHOULD BE SPEED.
No, the number one priority should be driver safety. If your tired on your return trip, stop and take a nap. If your given any static about being late, just say you did not think you could safely come in without stopping.

The COO officially goes into effect tonight after midnight. It will be interesting how it all works out. We'll use this thread to document how it goes.

Winston has reset their dock for the change of freight levels and set up for the UE drivers. Most UE drivers coming into Winston were at the terminal this week learning how to use the computers on the forklifts. DS.
just got in from work.....making the transition to the new dock layout tonight.....18 doors being given to the UE for now, probably more to come. 20 fresh layoffs on the dock with this coo, guys were all notified this week.....good luck to everyone and for all our sakes, I hope this works.....:red_bandana:

They use mostly vans cuz the terminal only has 99 doors and pups fill too quickly, but not limited to one or the other.

At the request of my relay manager, I'll be riding with one of our new utility men to check his driving skills. He's fresh out of school and quite nervous about this. I've been asked to give an honest opinion and I will. I hope he succeeds. If I have to take the truck from him it will be an act of self-preservation. Wish me luck.

I went through Newburgh/Maybrook Saturday morning on the way home and looked around on the dock.It seems they have 86 doors ready to go for the utility operation.Of course some of those doors will be used for their city operation.Theres plenty of room for expansion too because the terminal has over 300 doors in which Yellow is using the bulk of.

At the request of my relay manager, I'll be riding with one of our new utility men to check his driving skills. He's fresh out of school and quite nervous about this. I've been asked to give an honest opinion and I will. I hope he succeeds. If I have to take the truck from him it will be an act of self-preservation. Wish me luck.
Good luck, Jack. Hopefully he will not let his nerves get the best of him and do the best he can. DS.

im hoping it goes as well as that last next best thing did ......................... sleeper teams lmao
Hey lb.........Winston had sleeper teams a few years ago. Our west coast service percentages were in the upper 90's!! As quick as they were put here.........they were pulled out. So our west coast service went back to sucking........you figure it out. DS.

told utility guy will be coming into 135 with mostly 53's, we'll see.:bsanta::bsanta::bsanta::bsanta:

No, the number one priority should be driver safety. If your tired on your return trip, stop and take a nap. If your given any static about being late, just say you did not think you could safely come in without stopping.
Mud, I'm not suggesting drivers shouldn't be safe. I'm just trying to get the point across that management needs to understand how much more time is required to hook and unhook a set of pups. It just seems to me, running a set of pups will slow down the whole process. Personally, I'm a real big fan of working smarter, not harder!

The 676 drivers were told that they would be on a van every night and if they were more velocity freight then relay would have to cover it.

what are these drivers gonna do when they get some freight that they have no idea how to handle correctly? and the 4 hour casual next to them doesnt either

The 676 drivers were told that they would be on a van every night and if they were more velocity freight then relay would have to cover it.

Ok, everybody, take a deep breath! When the last change occured, we were told the same thing. 53`s out and 53`s back! At some point you run out of 53`s , sealed dividers come into affect, headloads come into play. You can`t run the operation with a closed mind. Things change.No matter what they tell you, you need to expect the unexpected! It will never be like before.You will work to make that extra dollar.:smilie_132:

what are these drivers gonna do when they get some freight that they have no idea how to handle correctly? and the 4 hour casual next to them doesnt either
Don't be afraid. Ask your neighbor for help. And don't be afraid of making a mistake. At last resort, take up the problem with your supervisor. And, don't be driving the forklift with your foot hanging over the side. You'll get it crushed.