Yellow | Velosity and UE COO Starts Tonight

Also still in wonder here if they gave any thought to just what this operation will do to all the high dollar time critical and blue ribon shipments. If it works and I was shipping high dollar.....well....guess what!!!!!! for a bit less and only a few hours more why not ship the cheaper way.
I thought about that too. Why use "Time Critical" or "Blue Ribbon" when standard service will get it there as quick. I guess the key is guaranteed. Time and Blues are free when late, not utility. DS.

Wolf, I agree with you 100%. P&d trucks leaving later and later to start peddle runs and then you don't have enough room for pick ups. Local roadway managers better realize we need more men on the street in order to make this velosity thing work!!

P&D

Wolf, I agree with you 100%. P&d trucks leaving later and later to start peddle runs and then you don't have enough room for pick ups. Local roadway managers better realize we need more men on the street in order to make this velosity thing work!!

We have about 6-8 more P&D drivers on the street now than we did a month ago, and several more jobs posted. That is KC 342.

That's great Happy2 . But it is not happening here at 190 nj. MEn retiring, not replaced, bill counts way up and management still dont realize we need more bodies and earlier starting times. Drivers cant do one peddle run, return to the terminal for another and then be expected to make pick ups too!! The clock keeps on ticking and customers want to close on time and not wait for Roadway to show up late for their pick up.

We can do it!

Just wanted to kick in my 2-cents. I've been on utility to knoxville for past week and reading this thread. I must say I'm finding it a little discouraging that most of the people commenting sound like they want this to fail. From what little I know (only 4yrs in this industry) is for many years Roadway has been a leader that most other trucking companies followed. But now we find ourselves being the one following. Other companies have been providing this service for some time and while their freight grew last year by 5 or 6% ours only grew by .75%. How long could we continue this path before we're all on the street? This service from what I've learned is not new and was even in the last contract, because ABF has been doing it for two yrs under premiun service, where drivers meet somewhere exchange freight and return. My labored point is can't we all pull together (as a team of oxen do and if they dont the one chokes the other in the yoke) and try to provide a new and better service for our customers and secure our jobs and our future. I've also read the yellow thread on this subject and they seem for the most part to be encouraging every one to pull together and make this thing work. Because in the end when we make the company succeed dont we help ourselves?:1036316054:

LilRebel,
I have no problem at all with what you are saying. But in order to make this system work efficently management needs to realize you need more drivers out on the street. At many terminals right now this is not happening and it puts our success rate of pulling this off at risk. Lets hope management puts us and our company in a position to succeed.

Hey ROADY............you are right, we need to put pressure on RDWY. We gave them what they wanted now, we need the people to get it done. DS.

Thank you Docksteward,
I am glad somebody understands what i am saying. It is a different kind of animal when you are working the p&d side of the velosity system. Drivers with 36 years of expwerience know what goes on in the street everyday and should at least be listened too by management. We are all in this together and want it to work, so let's listen to each others concerns and get this thing to work at it's top capacity.

I have heard the UEs are not getting a warm reception in Cincinnati. I have heard they are not welcomed in the breakrooms and are not allowed to have the run of the dock. I have also heard dockmen refer to them as *****. WTF???? I could understand if these men were not teamsters, but they are and it makes no sense to me. Our frustrations, if any, should be aimed at the company and the IBT who negotiated this crap, not our union brothers. I am sure it would not hurt if some of our 5-15 year dock only personnel made some moves to obtain CDLs. They offer to train for free and have for years. Wake up people!

The frustration aimed at the UE's although misguided at least at Holland have a basis that comes from the fact that UE drivers are at Holland basically replacing linehaul drivers and showing the change will not stop until linehaul is a thing of the past.Not pointing the blame at the union or the company ( there is plenty to go around in both cases)but when we at Holland have a certain number of linehaul laid off and then almost that exact number of UE drivers are implemented it puts a sour taste in the mouths of the linehaul drivers. If any local cartage driver was put in this position I think the results would be the same.

Well said USF-INDY,
Any teamster who believes in what a teamster brother is supposed to be would agee with you 100%!!

LilRebel,
I have no problem at all with what you are saying. But in order to make this system work efficently management needs to realize you need more drivers out on the street. At many terminals right now this is not happening and it puts our success rate of pulling this off at risk. Lets hope management puts us and our company in a position to succeed.
I hope they do put more drivers on the street. Surely they will tweak this thing, we've only been going a week. Any new undertaking on this scale will take a little time to get the bugs worked out. My hope is this will put every one back to work. If their working people while guys are laid-off, then as I've heard one guy on here say..... FILE,FILE, FILE!

You guys make some very good points. Hopefully management will listen & take some advice from those of you that really care & have the experience & understanding of what it will take to make the program work.

I hope that some of the union haters read this thread & see that Teamsters really do care & that it's not us against them. If programs like this fail its not because of labor, its because of the arrogance of management that refuses to accept any advise from the hired help.