Yellow | Velosity and UE COO Starts Tonight

*****in

Regular; You hit it right on the head. Some of these guys on here that just ***** and moan all the time about Roadway should just quit and find a new way of life. Its a job, nobody is happy all the time but its a job. Roadway is a company trying to make money the best way they can just like all the other companys. JUST REMEBER ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ***** ALL THE TIME YOU CAME HERE ROADWAY DID NOT COME TO YOU. Try to make things work instead of trying to DESTROY.

P.S. I feel better now

Hey Regular, are they hiring the causals as Full-timers, or just adding more causals to the dock?

I'm sure they are just adding them to the casual list. We still have around 10 guys laid off in the city as of today, so I doubt they will be hiring anyone on fulltime anytime soon, but who knows.

I'm sure they are just adding them to the casual list. We still have around 10 guys laid off in the city as of today, so I doubt they will be hiring anyone on fulltime anytime soon, but who knows.

Just keep in touch with me, I had heard that the road side is getting ready to post a opportunity for the city to transfer over to the road if they wish, I am just awaiting for the opportunity to go over to the city....!

Let me know if you find out any other information if they are hiring full-time persons!

velocity and UE coo starts tonight

GUY's.....Come on here. Lets try to stop arguing among each other and look at the whole picture. I think I know longblade and I am real familier with his pain.Have seen it time and time again.He has been there and done that.
Maybe sully could enlighten us all on just what happened in 123 on Sunday night. Not real sure but was that all over casuals? The big danger to us all is the potantial savings the company can get from slipping them in when we do have people on a LAY-OFF status! Please take a quick look at UPS and you might see the danger behind this. If our numbers are reduced with part timers who are not on the same standards we are....well....dont you think this could be a problem to your future and pension fund. Roadway is not under control of one majority (family) stockholder anymore and it is running just like corporate america.We need to listen to each other and protect ourselves as a unit,cause to them we are all jst a number and are expendable.We must do all we can to keep the company in good shape but at the same time we must always stand fast to our union contracts. I would love to elaborate now on whats happened at 120 since the coo began but its a total disaster with everyone off bid and just to crazy....will give it a week and see what develops!
Do know that at this moment they are using all the retired guys they can muster while people are still on a lay off status and thats just plain WRONG no matter how you look at it.

Just to name 1 place and the start of things to come . Newburgh took all this freight this time but no1 to work it . all had to have cdls .and the freight is being working by casuals .I think knoxsville also has this going on . they will start moving freight to places with no dock workers having changes and only taking guys that can drive and working it with hmmm $14 an hour casuals.
I was told by the BA up there if i wanted to come there to work the dock i would have to quit and they would be glad to hire a 18 year guy for $14 an hour..
Im not trying to argue with any1 on here . Just stating some facts and some people cant believe it because it hasnt hit them yet .

Richmond VA

Just to name 1 place and the start of things to come . Newburgh took all this freight this time but no1 to work it . all had to have cdls .and the freight is being working by casuals .I think knoxsville also has this going on . they will start moving freight to places with no dock workers having changes and only taking guys that can drive and working it with hmmm $14 an hour casuals.
I was told by the BA up there if i wanted to come there to work the dock i would have to quit and they would be glad to hire a 18 year guy for $14 an hour..
Im not trying to argue with any1 on here . Just stating some facts and some people cant believe it because it hasnt hit them yet .

Richmond VA as well. CDL only........

I heard last night at Winston that some UE drivers were having a hard time backing in to their assigned doors. Well..........I looked at the new engineered dock layout a couple of weeks back and that was the first thing that caught my eye!! I have had switchers tell me it's tough to back a van in a couple of those holes with a buggy, never the less with a twin screw tractor!!

I was gonna suggest to management that this could be a problem........ah hell, they'll figure it out.

How did the first night go for the other terminals?? DS.

Our guys got lost on the first trip to the Walking Eagle's nest. Most of the freight I been picking up the last two days have been next day freight. Philly has been a hot lane for us looking good so far

So why don't you get a CDL? This is a non-issue around here, as most barns in the midwest have required everybody has a CDL for close to 20 years.

I sure wish it had been a requirment 18 years ago when the were hiring straight dock guys . breakbalks were only hiring straight dock back then .they didnt need drivers . said they had plenty of guys willing to sit on there butts 14 hours a day . then need guys to do the work back then . by the way i had a cdl 25 years ago and gave it up b4 i turned some little 4 wheeler into a speed bump . and i rather sleep with my wife nightly than stay in some sleeze bag hotel.
we had at 1 time about 300 non cdl guys at 120 and about 160 here at 671 in the same boat

don't worry longblade, when kc loses a lot of workers someday and when the freight goes to a terminal an hour or so away from kc 2 years later they'll be crying about the 14 hour casuals that work there too, their time will come....i can see they all got their CDL's but it don't matter when they all get laid off and the terminal just a short drive from them is hopping with those part timers, just so all you guys know 123 is less than 90 miles from 120

I sure wish it had been a requirment 18 years ago when the were hiring straight dock guys . breakbalks were only hiring straight dock back then .they didnt need drivers . said they had plenty of guys willing to sit on there butts 14 hours a day . then need guys to do the work back then . by the way i had a cdl 25 years ago and gave it up b4 i turned some little 4 wheeler into a speed bump . and i rather sleep with my wife nightly than stay in some sleeze bag hotel.
we had at 1 time about 300 non cdl guys at 120 and about 160 here at 671 in the same boat

So, why not get a CDL now? Just because you have the CDL doesn't mean you have to drive, it's just a requirement to get hired or transfer in.

don't worry longblade, when kc loses a lot of workers someday and when the freight goes to a terminal an hour or so away from kc 2 years later they'll be crying about the 14 hour casuals that work there too, their time will come....i can see they all got their CDL's but it don't matter when they all get laid off and the terminal just a short drive from them is hopping with those part timers, just so all you guys know 123 is less than 90 miles from 120

Here is the deal in KC, we have been a plus on the last 4 COO's. Why........because the work force here works!

Here is the deal in KC, we have been a plus on the last 4 COO's. Why........because the work force here works!

Get real!....Dont flatter yourself. What a foolish thing to say.Are U insinuating that this whole change was about bringing KC work cause U do your job....:hysterical:
Your terminal has been a plus for the simple reason that it fits into the route charts and freight lines that managment has selected to increase mileage for drivers.This simply means that it was in the right spot for the brainwork of Yellows bean counters for gateway routes....now...velocity routes. Please...Be thankful and happy that it works for U but dont belittle others where there are problems and close your eyes to whats really going on here.Think about it all.....has anybody seen any benefits from these routes yet and ask yourself whats the percentage of freight that is really making it through any quicker. Bottom line is ....It's all about geography and savings. They already had the speed with some real profitable rates on it.

they have told the guys going to tenn. that to be ready they will be on the road day 1

Only if they accept a driving bid. You still haven't said why you refuse to get a CDL. If you don't want to drive then go somewhere that your seniority will allow you to stay on the dock.

Only if they accept a driving bid. You still haven't said why you refuse to get a CDL. If you don't want to drive then go somewhere that your seniority will allow you to stay on the dock.

The problem is like longblade said, The company is trying to do away
with dockmen.... Last change we lost 149 dock jobs from Harrisburg,Winston,
Nashville,Stroudsburg and others. Gaining dock jobs were 92 But dockmen were only allowed to go to St.Louis +12 And Akron+2 Newburgh were plus 40dockmen, Richmond Plus 22 dock and Knoxville +28 dock.. So right there was 135 dock jobs gone.... Look at the new change posted by both Yellow and Roadway in The Atlanta Metro area same thing there, bothare moving dock jobs but only CDL people can take them.... Then when they don't fill, along comes a $14 Hour casual to take the job.......

you really dont seem to get it , its really not all about me. i have a bid . im still working the dock @671 The real point is that what they are doing and how they are working on breaking us all down .
im trying to get guys ahead of this since b4 this contract went threw but every1 is still just looking at . well it hasnt affected me WHAT IM SAYING IS IT HASNT YET . BEWARE!!! dont be omg!!!!!!!!!!!! when it does

you really dont seem to get it , its really not all about me. i have a bid . im still working the dock @671 The real point is that what they are doing and how they are working on breaking us all down .
im trying to get guys ahead of this since b4 this contract went threw but every1 is still just looking at . well it hasnt affected me WHAT IM SAYING IS IT HASNT YET . BEWARE!!! dont be omg!!!!!!!!!!!! when it does

long blade is right guys....everybody needs to wake up or this will be the end for all of us.......here @ winston, UE drivers are NOT bringing in NEW, HOT or VELOSITY freight, they are hauling in the same freight we have always handled here.....now instead of 1 guy stripping it and taking it the stackside, it is now handled by 3 or 4 people because they can only unload their trucks and stage the freight right there where they work, THEN you have to have a guy pick all that freight up and run it the stackside, THEN you have a stacker load it. THIS is supposed to be faster and more efficient????? Typical ROADWAY...... not to mention, claims should go through the roof now, with the same piece of freight being handled 3 or 4 times.....Also, being that this is the " new baby" the supervisors have let the rest of the dock operation go right into the shi**er....nobody is doing anything, because nobody knows what to do.....unorganization, freight not getting loaded anywhere on the dock,people standing around, UE running around like ants at a picnic, freight piled to the roof, O/T everyday, not enough forklifts for everyone, on and on and on.......what was this coo designed to do? create bedlam and gridlock? eventually eliminate all our jobs, and replace with UE and casuals? or ultimately drive this company into the ground? I can understand some tweaking is always necessary whenever you launch a new program....however, this coo has been a unionbusting joke designed to eliminate good jobs right from the start..... I would like to know how this is working at other terminals.....let us all know....I find it hard to believe this is ONLY happening @ 671 in Winston-Salem:red_bandana:g-man