Holland | Wake up people!!

maybe that's right

...If anyone is offended or embarassed by the truth , well, I really don't give a rats' ***

Ear? Toe? Tail, no that has four letters, lol....

Tail? Nope, but you're in the right part of the anatomy, Benny Hill.
Here, I'll give you a hint.
What is a commonly used synonym for mule, donkey, or horses butt?

What? :shock:

No, no, no, Benny...the answer is not ZOLLARS !!!

Sheesh, ask a silly question...:duh:

YOU SIR NEED TO WAKE UP ... WHICH IS THE TOPIC OF THIS BLOG :hysterical: HOW COULD ANYONE PRAISE OUR LEADERS FOR SELLING US OUT FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMPANY AND THEMSELVES ... LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE DUDE .. NO NO NO SELLING US OUT FOR THE GOOD OF THEMSELVES AND THE COMPANY ... TELL ME THAT THEY NEED PRAISE .. LOOK IN THE MIRROR DUDE WHEN YOU SAY IT .... :smilie_132:
YOU SIR MUST NOT KNOW WHAT THE COMPANY HAS DONE TO EVERYBODY ...
SO YOU SIR NEED TO REALIZE THAT OUR TEAMSTER LEADERS LIED TO US AND YOU SIR YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE WHOLE PICTURE NOT JUST A BLOG ...
WHEN A TEAMSTER LEADER LIES TO YOU ... RIGHT IN THE FACE SIR ... THEN I WANT TO SAY OUR LEADERS NEED PRAISE DUDE WHILE WE ARE UNEMPLOYED DUDE..
AND YOU SIR have NO IDEA HOW I CAME UP WITH THE MEMBER NAME CADDY ... :hysterical:
Very well said, and I for one agree with your assesment of the situation!

This is exactly what I have been saying. The IBT is on their own agenda. They cannot seem to get the system at Holland and they refuse to ask or listen to any of us. The UE is doing road work. What is their problem? Why are they so oblivious to our situation? If the UE was necessary, why did the IBT and every local do such a bad job at protecting their members? I want Hoffa and Johnson to answer these questions. They knew that the road Driver would be hurt by the UE. They sent out mailers stating that the UE would not affect any current Line Haul Operation. Now they are blaming their poor Leadership on the economy. These men are paid to protect our jobs. They are obligated by their elected position and the years of sacrifice of those who came before to provide ALL of us with Honorable representation.
Hoffa, Johnson, Walt, and most Locals have failed to live up to the Teamster Brotherhood. Men have died to get us what we deserve and now a few squander away our livelihood and dignity. I am ashamed of the current Leadership. We must have Leadership that represents the true meaning of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
I stand by you wholeheartedly. Has anyone looked into jimmie jr.'s past history? Can you pronounce Matty Maroon?

Tail? Nope, but you're in the right part of the anatomy, Benny Hill.
Here, I'll give you a hint.
What is a commonly used synonym for mule, donkey, or horses butt?

What? :shock:

No, no, no, Benny...the answer is not ZOLLARS !!!

Sheesh, ask a silly question...:duh:

Very funny post, lol.

ok, but lets take a look at this. If a UE is added, then both city and road drives have the chance to bid the position. If a city guy gets the position, it leaves an opening on the city board that must be filled. In most cases this will be a laid off city guy, but the point is, it does not eliminate the job. It just results in someone else doing the job, but it is still the same number of positions. Admittedly not good for the senior LH driver, but still not a loss.

Here is how a company decides if it is time to lay off. As freight levels drops, and the number of hours stay the same, then bills per hour drop. this indicates you have to many employees (for road drivers it reflects in an increase in the number of empty miles). The reverse is also true. As freight levels increase, and the number of hours stay the same, then the bills per hour go up. At a certain point this indicates they are under staffed so they hire. Lay offs are simply a result in decreased productivity caused by a loss of business.

Contray to popular belief, the surest way to maintain teamster jobs, is do the best job we can and improve productivity. The better the productivity, the more people we get back. Slow downs result in decreased production and causes the bean counters to call for more cuts.
you have alot to learn about this business junior......unless of course you're management.....it would make sense with that mentality....

you have alot to learn about this business junior......unless of course you're management.....it would make sense with that mentality....

I thought the same thing. How can you base your work force on what happened yesterday? That is YRC's problem, they do not understand the next day freight business. And they definitely do not understand customer service.

I thought the same thing. How can you base your work force on what happened yesterday? That is YRC's problem, they do not understand the next day freight business. And they definitely do not understand customer service.
remember, these coo's were supposed to increase our 1 day service market within a 250 mile radius......all our UE do is work freight on the dock for 6-8 hrs a day, then they get in their trucks and drive back several hrs to the domicile they came from......NOT what this coo was supposed to do.....the g-man:red_bandana:

remember, these coo's were supposed to increase our 1 day service market within a 250 mile radius......all our UE do is work freight on the dock for 6-8 hrs a day, then they get in their trucks and drive back several hrs to the domicile they came from......NOT what this coo was supposed to do.....the g-man:red_bandana:

How can we believe anything that is "supposed to be" when all we have been told by the company and the union is lies.

I believe its time to end classifications. I know there was a time for this practice but feel that if you are qualified (cdl) to do the job, your company seniority should prevail......I've seen to many men scr**ed because of classification, both road and city!!!

I believe its time to end classifications. I know there was a time for this practice but feel that if you are qualified (cdl) to do the job, your company seniority should prevail......I've seen to many men scr**ed because of classification, both road and city!!!

I agree. Seniority should be seniority. We should at least have the right to bump where your company seniority would allow you to go.

Well, I guess it all depends on which side of the fence you're on? I've heard several different views so I'll repeat a few of them for your info. Before you jump on me either way remember, I'm just throwing these statements out to everybody for your info.

If you're at a terminal that has one seniority board then of course it just doesn't matter.

If you're a person where there were two separate seniority boards when you hired in (you had either a city or road job) then you made your choice to stay where you hired in at, letting the chance to crossover to the other board go by because you liked it where you were at then is it right to make a person go to the road from the city or to the city from the road because you changed your mind, after the fact? Maybe the guy that hired in for the road or the guy that hired in for the city wouldn't have taken the job if the knew that everything was going to change after the fact?

If you're a road man that has time on a city man or a city man that has time on a road man but you're on layoff and can't bid on the newly posted UE job hows that fair?

Should the guys that gave up their seniority to to crossover to the other board now be penalized again and go behind people, for a third time, that never had to go to the bottom a second time to get to the board where wanted to be?

If you're a road guy that has been with the company for ten years and now YRC Holland is abolishing road bids and changing them to city board UE bids and you don't have enough time to bid over to the city because more senior city men want them, how is that fair?

I can go on and on about whats fair and whats not fair. Who's to say what is and what isn't, like I said, "it all depends on which side of the fence you're on".

Just remember that if YRC and the UNION where doing what they proposed to us before we voted none of this would be happening. Maybe if everybody was standing together instead of trying to stab each other in the back, we could get something accomplished?

UNION: a confederation of independent individuals (as nations or persons) for some common purpose.

Just a few thoughts for everybody to think about.

Welcome to Truckingboards Deiseldummy.

I started this blog, so let me say again."WAKE UP PEOPLE!"..Yes, the Teamsters sold us out. I went to the meeting at my local to discuss the contract. They told us that YRC couldn't get the loan for the new contract, so the IBT went with them to the banks, to help them get the loans. Why would they do that? Because, YRC is the largest contributor to the IBT, and the pension fund. If YRC goes under, the IBT is most likely history. The IBT knows this, and even said it in that meeting. So why did they sell us out? Because, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Yes, Holland is getting scr**ed, but its a small price to pay {for IBT} for the financial security they will receive in the long run. In any battle, you lose a few lives, and a little money, but thats the chance they take to achieve the goals they have in mind.

I started this blog, so let me say again."WAKE UP PEOPLE!"..Yes, the Teamsters sold us out. I went to the meeting at my local to discuss the contract. They told us that YRC couldn't get the loan for the new contract, so the IBT went with them to the banks, to help them get the loans. Why would they do that? Because, YRC is the largest contributor to the IBT, and the pension fund. If YRC goes under, the IBT is most likely history. The IBT knows this, and even said it in that meeting. So why did they sell us out? Because, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Yes, Holland is getting scr**ed, but its a small price to pay {for IBT} for the financial security they will receive in the long run. In any battle, you lose a few lives, and a little money, but thats the chance they take to achieve the goals they have in mind.
Thanks for starting this thread, Renegade_SL, I have found it quite...interesting. It has the typical union bashing, fingerpointing posts, but intermingled amongst those were some realistic, informative, thought provoking posts. And even a couple meager attempts at humor.
But one thing I notice is the lack of solutions. Each poster seems to have his personal scape-goat, (the IBT is the current favorite, with those of differing opinions a close second!), but no constructive input. Hell, I got rocks thrown at me because some didn't want to hear the truth!
"WAKE UP PEOPLE!!"
I'm awake, lets hear some solutions, brothers, short or long term, whatever. Post away!

Thanks for starting this thread, Renegade_SL, I have found it quite...interesting. It has the typical union bashing, fingerpointing posts, but intermingled amongst those were some realistic, informative, thought provoking posts. And even a couple meager attempts at humor.
But one thing I notice is the lack of solutions. Each poster seems to have his personal scape-goat, (the IBT is the current favorite, with those of differing opinions a close second!), but no constructive input. Hell, I got rocks thrown at me because some didn't want to hear the truth!
"WAKE UP PEOPLE!!"
I'm awake, lets hear some solutions, brothers, short or long term, whatever. Post away!

The only solution I've seen is what we are angry over, this new contract. Are we changing to conway, yes and no. We will work like them only keep OUR PENSION, and union protection preventing unfair termination, and a bare minimum number of work-rules. Historically this union gained all its strength because workers had it soo bad giving your life to make things better wasn't much worse than trying to survive the way things were. We don't have it that bad now, but its on the fastrack to return there. Damn I
m depressing.

My point exactly bennie.....there shouldnt be a "what side of the fence your on" If we had one seniority list we wouldnt have all the problems, You would simply work where your seniority would allow. The complete basis of the contract is seniority.....Classifications is meant to divide...road vs city and vise versa.

My point exactly bennie.....there shouldnt be a "what side of the fence your on" If we had one seniority list we wouldnt have all the problems, You would simply work where your seniority would allow. The complete basis of the contract is seniority.....Classifications is meant to divide...road vs city and vise versa.
I see that point and agree with you about it. Let me attempt again to get across my point. It still all depends on whats best for the individual, I know we're Union members but people don't always look at things as a Union member. Its not like it used to be, its everybody for themselves at many places now. Its sad that things have gotten that way but, it has. Most two board terminals have had the duel boards for a long time. Most city men want to be city men and most road men want to be road men. Now that the new, latest and greatest, contract has started to take away road jobs and add city (UE) jobs, road men are getting worried that there may not be a job for them in the future. I understand their thoughts. The problem, as I see it, is that they're more city men at most terminals than road men. If the two board system was to be changed it would be put to a vote by the members at the terminal in question. Now, I'm not a genius by any means, but what city man in his right mind would vote to allow something to happen that would hurt his family and himself? I might be wrong, maybe it could happen? Maybe people would do the righteous, fair, honorable, respectable thing? I just don't think they would because it just doesn't work that way very often any more, in my opinion. I just hope that the economy gets going again very soon and we can all stop worrying about anything but what we're going to do with all that money we're making. Again, I'm not saying what will happen for sure but I just try to look at things with a little common sense and logic. Maybe things will work out for the best for everybody, I certainly hope so.

Remember guys, I'm only stating things that I've heard and why people say they think the way they do. In a perfect world none of this would even come up. People and things change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Most every person on this forum is here to try and help themselves and others to understand whats going on around the system and do their part to help one another to be better informed. For that I thank everyone for being here and adding to the information for us all. If we didn't care we wouldn't be here.

So, renegade what you are saying, if I understand this correctly is that the leadership of the IBT sold us out then you say that they sold us out because "you don't bite the hand that feeds you", in my opinion I don't see that as a sell out, I see that as the leadership having done the best they could under the enormous financial pressure that this economy is under.

I'm sure you know that this contract was voted in by an overwhelming majority of the membership, but if you ask anyone if they voted for this agreement they will tell you NO, so if every one you ask says NO, how did this agreement come to pass?? didn't we understand what we were voting for? did the IBT and YRCW pull the proverbial wool over our eyes? was there some kind of a conspiracy going on?, of course not, both sides have attys. they are both looking out for each other's best interest, IBT for the membership and YRCW for the company, niether one of them can survive with out the other, in other words we are feeding each other.

In every negotiation, wether it be national, local or union like ours, both sides have to sacrifice something, it is unfortunate that there are some that have to suffer for the good of the whole.

So I think there are some points that you make that I agree with and others that I don't, but isn't this what this forum is all about??:beerchug:

GBA:USA:

All this arguing about UEs. It's not just about YRC saving money. They want more flexability with their employees. Look at it this way...For one load of freight, it takes one man to load the freight, one man to hook the tractor and pull it away from the door, one man to drive it to another terminal, one man to park the truck in a door, one man to drop the freight, when it gets back to the home terminal, one man to drop the trailer, one man to fuel the truck. Ok, lets do the math. That's a total of "7" men to complete that day for one load of freight. With a UE, or as our non-union competitors do, they could get all of that done with "1" man. They want to be able to tell a driver, "hey, put that trailer in door 56, then swing that freight to door 79, then go hook to door 35, take that to Sikeston, Mo., when you get back, I need you to pick up some freight across town. Oh, and when you get done, don't forget to fuel your truck, and wash the windows." Without a bunch of "That's not my job!" I truly believe in Job Security. I am a laid off driver as well. But the reality is, if everyone fights this, they will shut the doors to USF Holland! I have already moved on, because I have excepted this reality. But I would do anything to get my old job back, and for things to be the way they were........Missing my old life:17:

Wouldnt one man only be doing one seventh of the work!?!
Soooo....the reality here is you would still need 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thinking you had better wake up. Think man,THINK!
OK...going to shut up before I run on here and get into trouble.

So, renegade what you are saying, if I understand this correctly is that the leadership of the IBT sold us out then you say that they sold us out because "you don't bite the hand that feeds you", in my opinion I don't see that as a sell out, I see that as the leadership having done the best they could under the enormous financial pressure that this economy is under.

I'm sure you know that this contract was voted in by an overwhelming majority of the membership, but if you ask anyone if they voted for this agreement they will tell you NO, so if every one you ask says NO, how did this agreement come to pass?? didn't we understand what we were voting for? did the IBT and YRCW pull the proverbial wool over our eyes? was there some kind of a conspiracy going on?, of course not, both sides have attys. they are both looking out for each other's best interest, IBT for the membership and YRCW for the company, niether one of them can survive with out the other, in other words we are feeding each other.

In every negotiation, wether it be national, local or union like ours, both sides have to sacrifice something, it is unfortunate that there are some that have to suffer for the good of the whole.

So I think there are some points that you make that I agree with and others that I don't, but isn't this what this forum is all about??:beerchug:

GBA:USA:

The problem I have with your argument is that Holland operated at 84% before YRC. Holland offered the BEST service and lowest claims. They took care of their employees and we took care the company. Good companies weather dips in the economy. Poorly managed companies need concessions to survive. And this contract amounts to concessions. Especially with the $14 casual and road work is done for $23.71 per hour verses $32.93 per hour and less vacation pay.
The biggest problem I have with the current events is that what being a Teamster means to me is that we all stand together. If one will suffer, we all stand together and say NO! We do not do what is best for the majority.