ABF | Warning: This is a RUMOR I heard about ABF Systems

I see this, we are bigger and better than UPS attitude from alot of Fedx drivers. Why is this? Its almost like a little boy thing. Although I do believe they have alot of new young drivers out there. I hear the way they act on the radio all the time in the North East.
Some of them believe what Mgmt. tells them like it's Gospel and wouldn't believe anything else even if it was proved to them. I believe that the truth is that FedExFrt. was #3 behind Yellow and Roadway. They now sometimes lump Yellow and Roadway together and call them selves #2....but I'm sure that their bosses tell them that they're #1 and they just automatically buy it. Hey, they're young and impressionable......they'll learn.....probably after their first accident.

Industry Consolidation

I can tell you that at RDWY the UPS rumors were a daily thing back around '96-'97. We never expected Yellow to purchase us. The way we saw it........we're bigger and have a better operating ratio, so RDWY would be buying Yellow, if anything..............WRONG!!! :duh: All we can do is speculate about what could happen to ABF. If we look at the country we are in a consolidation faze. Phone companies, drug companies, power companies etc, etc. The DHL and the UPS rumors are logical. DHL is going to be a player in the US. In order to do that they have provide the "complete package". Parcel, Air and Truck. Well they are 2 out of three. Now does UPS take the ABF option out of their hands by purchasing them.......the possibilities are endless!! I would love to see ABF stay as they are..........but market trends don't reflect that!! :hide: DS.

Wishful thinking lukepa FXF is not as big and any of the ones you mentioned. FXF is still a regional LTL carrier. Who from DHL told you that they would not but a Company with Teamster workers?

Sorry to inform you toxic, your wrong on the size of FXF! FXF had revenue over 3 billion last fiscal year, ABF was just under 2 billion, estes and old d where less then that! FXF does specialize in 1 and 2 day freight, but their nation wide, not regional.

What would UPS gain by buying ABF ? I dont get it....cant they just expand Overnite/UPSFreight ? It would be cheaper (wage wise) and we all know the UPS name stands up by itself. I wish it would happen...maybe I would not be 5 guys from layoff after 5 years (not stable for me).

UPS is a good company, but remember ABF is a heck of a good company also, sometimes people get excited about a bigger company with clout buying them out, hoping that the grass will be much greener when the new company takes over, but most times all that comes out of it is layoffs, and consolidation of services. ABF has strong revenue, and a good operating ratio: and almost no debt to speak of, I would say that ABF will do just fine on it's own!

Sorry to inform you toxic, your wrong on the size of FXF! FXF had revenue over 3 billion last fiscal year, ABF was just under 2 billion, estes and old d where less then that! FXF does specialize in 1 and 2 day freight, but their nation wide, not regional.
I was talking about coverage not revenue. So speaking of coverage I am correct. ABF is bigger than FXF, OD, and Estes.

lukepa said:
Ups would have to buy ABF,ESTES, and OLD DOMINION in order to be larger then fedex freight now is.
lukepa was not talking about revenue. I take his statement as size.

ABF is here to stay!! Although not as huge as some of it's competitors, ABF remains a major player and provides specialized services in areas that no other LTL carriers provide. With that said, ABF will remain a competitor for many years to come. UPSF buying some of the smaller LTL carriers to expand their service areas, most definitely!! Estes, Old D etc..
UPSF will be a major player in years to come as I am sure they already have their blueprint for their future.
ABF EXPECT MORE!!!

Ok..I can see that. I still think UPS is going to blow everybodys minds and buy YRC, it fits their style and would instantly make them the global shipping leader for anything. They do have the money and anything is possible. I also feel we (ABF) will be purchased by YRC in 07 or 08 at the latest.

Why would Mr. Young who has a controling intrest sell ABF. I dont think he really needs the money. I have been hearing these rumors for years. I dont think that YRC is in any shape to buy anyone. If the economy takes a dump they will be in deep sh--.

Well just think if UPS did buy ABF,their colors being green,put that with the UPS brown and your uniforms may be camo colors? OR NOT?

Like any post on this ABF buy out just speculation,and opinions by hard working truckers on a message board.
Its fun to look into the future,but you can only live one second at a time.
After a second passes you can't get it back.

All I know is today is the tomorrow we thought about yesterday.
WOW is that deep or what?
Has anyone seen my hip boots?

Well just think if UPS did buy ABF,their colors being green,put that with the UPS brown and your uniforms may be camo colors? OR NOT?

All I know is today is the tomorrow we thought about yesterday.
WOW is that deep or what?
Has anyone seen my hip boots?
:hysterical: Good one, Apo!! DS.

Why would Mr. Young who has a controling intrest sell ABF. I dont think he really needs the money. I have been hearing these rumors for years. I dont think that YRC is in any shape to buy anyone. If the economy takes a dump they will be in deep sh--.

You have got to remember who would have thought that WML would sell a nice strong family owned co. But money has a way of making you do things. 780mil divided 8-10 ways

You could do a lot worse in the Transports than owning stock other than ABF. Not glamorous, an upstart, or a trend setter, but dependable, profitable, and by my accounts, debt free. Not sure about that last, though, not confirmed. Or was that in the By-Lines?

Ups would have to buy ABF,ESTES, and OLD DOMINION in order to be larger then fedex freight now is. The DHL rumor is nothing more then that if dhl is going to buy any freight company it will not be a teamster company. Dhl hopes to make a profit off their american package market within the next 3 years until then I dont see them making too many more bold moves.

Not understanding the reasoning there. The two biggest money making companies are teamster,UPS And YRC. Do you know that DHL is partially teamster, with new ones signing on?

Western ice storms

During the South West snow/ice storms early in December, my cousin was telling me he saw their wagons piled up everywhere on the interstate between CA and TN. I guess they were the most prominent trucking company accident wise.

Some of them believe what Mgmt. tells them like it's Gospel and wouldn't believe anything else even if it was proved to them. I believe that the truth is that FedExFrt. was #3 behind Yellow and Roadway. They now sometimes lump Yellow and Roadway together and call them selves #2....but I'm sure that their bosses tell them that they're #1 and they just automatically buy it. Hey, they're young and impressionable......they'll learn.....probably after their first accident.

FXF is not a regional carrier, they are LTL with nationwide coverage , but they excell in the regional market... YRC according to TT'S TOP 100, IS the biggest LTL carrier in north america followed by FDXF,and UPS, if another LTL company excelling in the long haul market is purchased.

These moves will allow these carriers to set price in the LTL market . These move's will also kill the competition in the market, allowing The big 3 to set demands on shipping.

The ambition of these companies is to become a 3PL company with supply chain solutions worldwide, there will be more buyouts to come, and the prediction's being made by this article is nothing more then hyperthetical, but more buyout's is reality at it's best....

ok guys
this is the skinny when you really read that traffic world article
what the author is doing is sheer spec on his part
the clue is when he refers to a possible buy of abf by ups is the logistics of such a purchase
for that buy to be benificial abf and upsf would have to be consolidated
in order for that to occur when and if upsf has a contract two things would have to occur
1- abf would have to leave the nmfa and ratify a transition to a upsf agreement
2 a upsf freight agreement would have to be in place

in addition the upsf freight agreement would have to be equal to or exceed the nmfa for that to occur