ABF | Watch that ABF stock price rise.

Yep did all those things when I was in the service didn't need collage to teach me that
I did all those things while I was in the military myself. And over the course of 6yrs I completed my training in 3 MOS's and 4yrs of college. All paid for by my rich uncle Sam.

Agreed. When Canary first drew the line in the sand dividing employees and shareholders I asked "Why not be both? They aren't mutually exclusive."

He said I was wrong and then attempted to move the line to somewhere between preferred and common stock as though preferred shares were only available to certain employees. Even if that were true (it is not), ARCB does not offer preferred stocks which makes his point fruitless.

My point is that if you feel ARC Best is making decisions with concerns only to their shareholders, at the detriment of their employees, buy stock.

My apologies......My only venture into the Stock market was with Ryder stock,.......And reading about YRC employee stock that,....by corporate decree,....was de-valued by half several years ago. I am,...as I've stated,...a neophyte, as far as the stock market goes.....

The point I was trying to make is that shareholders,...especially those at the corporate level,.....have a different set of priorities,...than an employee , whether he be a shareholder or not.

I would think that the vast majority of people out there have the same "layman's" experience with stocks as I do....I have an abhorrent fear of ...gambling...

ArcBest may not offer Preferred stock,....but there are many companies who do.

As a shareholder,.......employee or not,......would you say that cutting wages and de-Unionizing ABF would..."fatten" your bottom line? Would sub-contracting a large portion of ABF/ArcBest's business into cheaper carriers benefit the...shareholder,...or the employee?

Would an "employee/shareholder" have kind of a....conflict of interest in contract negotiations?

Your point about whether I feel that if ArcBest is making decisions with concerns only to their shareholders,..."at the detriment of their employees".....that I should buy stock.........is spoken like a true cynic. Essentially, you're saying that I should...."bet"....against my fellow employees...(..and myself..)....if I wished to increase my personal wealth.

I know that you're going to argue that the economic survival of the company should be paramount to ALL employees. But I would postulate that economic "survival" shouldn't come at the expense of the employees. I would think quite a bit of shareholders might...."argue"....with that postulation. There is a very fine line between company survival,.......and what an employee would call..."excessive"..corporate profits. Especially when it comes at his families' expense,......( and goes to another family...).

Once again,....The perennial question :....."What's more important? People,....or Business?"

When a business impacts detrimentially on people,...specifically it's own employees,.........should that business remain ...in business? Would the "Good" it performs for the public,....be outweighed by the harm it does to it's employees?

If corporations have to resort to propaganda, rumors, and lies during contract negotiations,....would you say that they've violated the "Negotiating in Good Faith" provision,............and therefore have lost the moral standing to honestly conduct business?

Or would you say that,....despite using questionable tactics during negotiations,....the shareholders were greatly enriched,.....and therefore,..."the Ends Justify the Means"?

You would make a great town cryer and physic. You know so much about what everyone else wants and needs it is a huge surpise that the contract passed. You were so sure it was no vote, no vote and no vote. Yet most ABF employees voted yes. Stunning revelation......NO ONE is taking advice from you! You know nothing about everything.
I never once said the contract vote was going to be a no crybaby. I’m saying no one is taking your stock advice because your not a stock broker. Your claiming to be a truck driver remember. Or did you forget, being that your a troll?

My apologies..."

Appreciate it, but unnecessary. We can disagree while remaining civil and respectful. :thumbsup

canaryinthemine said:
The point I was trying to make is that shareholders,...especially those at the corporate level,.....have a different set of priorities,...than an employee , whether he be a shareholder or not.:

Perhaps. I'd argue they are all trying to get the best return on their investment. No matter what form that investment takes (sweat, stress, physical effort, skill, financial, etc.).

canaryinthemine said:
As a shareholder,.......employee or not,......would you say that cutting wages and de-Unionizing ABF would..."fatten" your bottom line? Would sub-contracting a large portion of ABF/ArcBest's business into cheaper carriers benefit the...shareholder,...or the employee?

Likely. Events that lead the shareholder to believe the company is going to be more profitable tomorrow than they were today usually helps the stock price.

canaryinthemine said:
Would an "employee/shareholder" have kind of a....conflict of interest in contract negotiations?

I don't believe so. They should do all they can to benefit themselves as an employee with the security of knowing the company is going to do everything it can do to benefit their shareholders.

canaryinthemine said:
Your point about whether I feel that if ArcBest is making decisions with concerns only to their shareholders,..."at the detriment of their employees".....that I should buy stock.........is spoken like a true cynic. Essentially, you're saying that I should...."bet"....against my fellow employees...(..and myself..)....if I wished to increase my personal wealth.

I don't see it as betting against your fellow employee and yourself, rather hedging your bets, so to speak. Position yourself so that you are acting in your own best interest as an employee while knowing the company is doing their best to take care of you as a shareholder.

canaryinthemine' said:
I know that you're going to argue that the economic survival of the company should be paramount to ALL employees. But I would postulate that economic "survival" shouldn't come at the expense of the employees. I would think quite a bit of shareholders might...."argue"....with that postulation. There is a very fine line between company survival,.......and what an employee would call..."excessive"..corporate profits. Especially when it comes at his families' expense,......( and goes to another family...).

Once again,....The perennial question :....."What's more important? People,....or Business?"

Actually, I'd argue a company can be quite profitable while taking care of their employees. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If employees are happy there's no such thing as excessive corporate profits.

canaryinthemine said:
When a business impacts detrimentially on people,...specifically it's own employees,.........should that business remain ...in business? Would the "Good" it performs for the public,....be outweighed by the harm it does to it's employees?

I'd propose that if a business is a detriment to its employees, the employees should find another employer who doesn't cause them harm. If enough employees leave, that business won't remain in business.

canaryinthemine said:
If corporations have to resort to propaganda, rumors, and lies during contract negotiations,....would you say that they've violated the "Negotiating in Good Faith" provision,............and therefore have lost the moral standing to honestly conduct business?

I'd say they are just playing the game the same way their opponent is playing. Neither side has the high moral standing. Both sides are a "business" looking out for themselves, and unfortunately appear to believe the ends justify the means.

Ok Homesick,now I am really confused. Are you saying that SAC75 is a big cry-baby (town cryer) or somebody that makes announcements in the street (town crier)? Also, if SAC75 is great in the practice of "physics" which is knowledge of nature or how the universe behaves, then obviously he is more educated than you. I assume you meant "psychic" instead of "physic". How on earth do you have all of these college degrees without being able to spell? I guess with all your expertise in the "stock marker" as you called it, spelling is not a requirement of college or finance.
Maybe he took ‘The Evelyn Woodhead Sped Reddin’ Course”....(acknowledging the Cheech & Chong bit from decades ago).

I’m calling BS on this post. No way. Served and I damn well no the facts and you are full of it.

Know (not no).....my MOS’s 31V, 36K, 95B. What was your MOS? Liar, you never enlisted in anything in your life! The entrance exam was way past your level of intelligence.