FedEx Freight | Watkins Name Change?

BillyLo said:
At the moment, FXF doesn't have a current interest in OD. They're mainly looking to start a large scaled lease operation on the freight corridor of things. Watkins is a starting point and then the rest will follow to become a 90% lease fleet and those who resist will be kicked to the curb. Things are going to be interesting this summer when it all begins. Wonder if we'll have lease programs on the trucks we're currently driving?? Than Ground division seems to be doing well, so I'm sure we'll all be fine leasing.
where did you get this info? That is a new one and i hope it is not accurate. FedEx is in litigation regularly with ground contracters. I do not think freight wants that.

Don't work for Fed-X. But look what they started by buying RPS from Roadway .That business model seems to make them happy.
I just hope that isn't the way it's going to happen .
I know alot of drivers for Fed-X Freight .That's alot of good jobs gone .Then if it works there ,same thing will happen with the Express product .If this happens this will put alot of pressure on the union companies
that compete will Fed-X .

FedEx probably won't buy watkins. They MIGHT LOOK AT Picking up 2 of their Affiliated Companies---LandSpan---they can turn this into FXF Truckload services--and maybe Watkins Canada Express--HELLO CANADA! Just like when they Picked up RPS--they also got Viking, Roberts, etc.

Why would FedEx pickup Watkins with 9000 employees and then HACK WATKINS APART? That's not the FedEx WAY!

Remember Landspan and WCE are Affiliated Companies of WATKINS and can fit nice under FedEx Freight just like Caribbean Transportation Services is.

THEBADCOOLOMULLET said:
FedEx probably won't buy watkins. They MIGHT LOOK AT Picking up 2 of their Affiliated Companies---LandSpan---they can turn this into FXF Truckload services--and maybe Watkins Canada Express--HELLO CANADA! Just like when they Picked up RPS--they also got Viking, Roberts, etc.

Why would FedEx pickup Watkins with 9000 employees and then HACK WATKINS APART? That's not the FedEx WAY!

Remember Landspan and WCE are Affiliated Companies of WATKINS and can fit nice under FedEx Freight just like Caribbean Transportation Services is.
I guess I could understand that .

Mike432 said:
Don't work for Fed-X. But look what they started by buying RPS from Roadway .That business model seems to make them happy.
I know alot of drivers for Fed-X Freight .That's alot of good jobs gone .Then if it works there ,same thing will happen with the Express product .If this happens this will put alot of pressure on the union companies
Hey I go tsome cheap cool property to sell you in :duh: Ohio it even has great OCEAN front view too.

We have plenty of drivers that live check to check , how would they even think that everyone could lease the equipment ? If I'm leasing my tractor I better be the one and only one driving it. So much for slip seating who ever in what ever. AF would of never done this to us. I just can't believe that they would consider this as a way to go .:shrug:

Smokestack said:
We have plenty of drivers that live check to check , how would they even think that everyone could lease the equipment ? If I'm leasing my tractor I better be the one and only one driving it. So much for slip seating who ever in what ever. AF would of never done this to us. I just can't believe that they would consider this as a way to go .:shrug:
I don't put much into this, don't worry about what hasn't happened and probably never will.
:tribehasspoken:

FM

Oh what the hell, let's beat this dead horse again.
BTW I want a beat the dead horse smiley! OK, make it happen FedEx Freight (west) has had just about all the grief from independant purchase transportation as well as mainstream company purchase transportation. They are not dependable when the weather goes sour. Why would they want to have more trucks that they would have little or no control over?:chairshot: :chairshot:

Mike432 said:

Mike, Caliber system purchased RPS. ANd then in '97 caliber was purchased by FEDEX. At the time they needed a service to compete with UPS ground. They were going to buy Caliber regardless of contractor or actually company employee's. Although RPS was rather small at the time they had a good buisness model and were making money, I'm sure that was the biggest motivation for Fred Smith.

I may hav been dozing at this mornings meeting
but I think they were talking about FXF & Watkins . :Zzzz:

I know what they would name it... Led Zeppelin, because that is how it would go over. Like a LEAD FRIKKIN' BALLOON !!!

big corporate meeting this friday the 12th. all watkins district managers and up have been called to lakeland. got the info from a DM sect. hang on to your hats.

Well..it does seem that THIS time the rumor has a HINT of truth to it.

Some FEDEX terminals apparantly have had driver meetings that have addressed the issue and the drivers were told that "they (FEDEX) are not saying it is true or not true", but told the drivers to not be surprised if it does happen along with FEDEX buying a few other companies in the near future..

Now, for drivers to have actaully been called into a meeting addressing the so called rumor it would apear to have "some sort" of truth to it..

FDX need's CANADIAN authority i still say were going too buy somebody in CANADA i don't know who and i'm not going to start rumor's.

Also, they mentioned in the meeting how Watkins has this in some parts..
Also mentioned about something about expanding into Mexico or something like that..