FedEx Freight | Watkins Name Change?

MR.Viking said:
DHL, does have deep pockets!! But they are still losing $$$,$$$,$$$. I'm not saying they can't turn it around but at the moment their infrastructure is still inferior to that of UPS and FEDEX. If it were my company losing millions and they tried to aquire another company, I would be pissed! They need to take care of the bleeding first!
dhl is not losing money. They are only losing money in the us market. The company is very profitable worldwide...And Yellow borrowed the money for their buyouts from guess whoo? DHL..they are partners now so you know where thats headed. Not hard to read between the lines.

well i work at watkins and we still having heard anything yet...its to be annouced on monday if fed ex bought out watkins...so hold on if not tune to cnn news on sunday night to be annouced...

I wonder if FEDEX does buy Watkins, if the company store for Watkins that is in Lakeland that sells damaged/rejected items like TV's, Clothes,Eectronics, and everything else you can think of will stay open and FEDEX employess in Florida will be able to shop there for cool stuff:bgroovy:

When my husband worked for Watkins we went there 3-4 times and we bought some really nice electronics,for really, really low prices, and we did not need to pay up front if we did not want to, the cashier would just put in his employee ID # and it came out of his check..

Watkins

Watkins will become the long haul and truck load carrier for FXF. Watkins has good equipment and facilites. Watkins also has a presence in international and offshore markets that FXF wants to continue to grow.

Announcement soon. Maybe Monday.

princess said:
I wonder if FEDEX does buy Watkins, if the company store for Watkins that is in Lakeland that sells damaged/rejected items like TV's, Clothes,Eectronics, and everything else you can think of will stay open and FEDEX employess in Florida will be able to shop there for cool stuff:bgroovy:

When my husband worked for Watkins we went there 3-4 times and we bought some really nice electronics,for really, really low prices, and we did not need to pay up front if we did not want to, the cashier would just put in his employee ID # and it came out of his check..
The outlet store for FedEx Freight East is in Benton Arkansas.

Rattlesnake said:
I know too many people who worked for DHL and quit...They are very disorganized and the pay and benifits are way below FedEx..
Snake,
That depends on what area your in......DHL bought Airborne Express and they are Teamsters with full teamster pay/benefits. At least the ones in most big cities are.

If there is no earth shattering announcement on Monday, can we schedule a wake and services for this poor dead horse?

Synergy

Truck sales said:
Watkins will become the long haul and truck load carrier for FXF. Watkins has good equipment and facilites. Watkins also has a presence in international and offshore markets that FXF wants to continue to grow.

Announcement soon. Maybe Monday.

I know alot of their long haul (Watkins) is done by owner operators, wonder how does this effects those guyz. As for the home offices get used to the word Synergy, doesn't make sense to have two payroll offices when it can be done by one (just something to think about in the future).

What..................come on now.

screwy louiey said:
I know alot of their long haul (Watkins) is done by owner operators, wonder how does this effects those guyz. As for the home offices get used to the word Synergy, doesn't make sense to have two payroll offices when it can be done by one (just something to think about in the future).
you just dodn't have any IDEA or after all this time can you not figure it out yet. What happen when they bought CALIPER LOGISTICS and turned it into ground, custom critical. Where did there homeoffice go,it stayed in the same place. Where did there paychecks end up being paid from or tranfered to uuuuummmmm nowhere it stayed the same place. Dang is all of this that hard to figure out, these big companies are gonna keep buying and buying and buying out eachother will either go for the ride or change our occupation. The industry is so starved for qualified CDL drivers you will either stay where you are at or do a change of venue. Hey if your in your 20's or early 30's just hang on your average IBT driver is 57 they will have to replace them soon. It will be a great oppurtunity for most drivers very soon.

Sure DHL has plenty of money, they are owned by the German government. They also have the lion's share of Europe.

As far as why would FDX want to buy WTL?

We need a TL division.

The contractors we use now, we really have no control over.

This would give us a sleepers without using FDXF drivers.

We could cut out Day & Ross and go into Canada with our own equipment.

Pretty good reasons.

:moped:

how about this:

ETexSanta said:
Sure DHL has plenty of money, they are owned by the German government. They also have the lion's share of Europe.

As far as why would FDX want to buy WTL?

We need a TL division.

The contractors we use now, we really have no control over.

This would give us a sleepers without using FDXF drivers.

We could cut out Day & Ross and go into Canada with our own equipment.

Pretty good reasons.

:moped:
You know Fxf can't stand hauling 1 bill ltl in a whole trl. But you can use that 85% owner status that they ahve in Watkins do that be profitible and compete directly with YRCW. BUt yes we sure do need our own trucks in Canada and Mexico that would be huge for FXF

mrblanche said:
Well, here it is the 15th. No announcements of any type. I wonder why?
Welcome to the boards mrblanche. Would you like to help me plan the wake and memorial service for this thing?

You should read the Watkins Forum, they are going crazy with this rumor. They are supposed to have a BIG meeting this morning. Of course no one is saying who THEY are. Just a guess but it is either going to be :nutkick: or :chairshot: . Just my 2 cents worth.

Trailer Trash said:
You should read the Watkins Forum, they are going crazy with this rumor. They are supposed to have a BIG meeting this morning. Of course no one is saying who THEY are. Just a guess but it is either going to be :nutkick: or :chairshot: . Just my 2 cents worth.

They were supposedly having a big meeting in Orlando today. If so, it wasn't at the terminal, where I've been all day. Didn't see any unusual traffic here.

I'm not saying it's an impossibility. The trouble with Watkins (and Schneider, too, by the way) is that you can't find out their actual financial status. If they had to publicly show that they had a debt ratio of say, 90%, then they would clearly be an easy takeover target. If, on the other hand, they have virtually no debt and a lot of paid for assets, like Werner, then it's almost impossible to acquire them.

Hey CFer,

This is Skeeter I can't log in with Skeeter and password. This is a old user name I use to use. I don't think I have been band for any reason. Can you check it out for me.

It always says system to busy or sends me to Disney online. LOL!

mrblanche said:
They were supposedly having a big meeting in Orlando today. If so, it wasn't at the terminal, where I've been all day. Didn't see any unusual traffic here.

I'm not saying it's an impossibility. The trouble with Watkins (and Schneider, too, by the way) is that you can't find out their actual financial status. If they had to publicly show that they had a debt ratio of say, 90%, then they would clearly be an easy takeover target. If, on the other hand, they have virtually no debt and a lot of paid for assets, like Werner, then it's almost impossible to acquire them.

It makes it pretty damn easy for them to screw me out of my quarterly bonus too!!!!