XPO | what did you think of dougs video?

Here's what I think about Con-Way's recent push about safety.

1.) It is all for show and looks great on a corporate report, or an article in FORTUNE, or a recruiting brochure, but it is all crap.
Corporations care about the bottom line. If by encouraging us to be safe, they reduce their cost on insurance, liability, injuries, cost of repairing or replacing equipment, bad press, whatever--then great. But I assure you, if guys dying/getting injured didn't have an impact on the profits or reputation of this company, I doubt anyone at GO could care less.

I firmly believe that in my department, my ultimate manager would gladly sacrifice a life (or lives) if it meant hitting his goal and obtaining his giant bonus. No one will EVER convince me different.

2.) I do not believe EVERY accident is preventable. Most? Sure. But not EVERY. Sometimes things just break. Sometimes, despite every precaution, accidents DO happen. Could you prevent a meteor from hitting your dock/tractor? A lightning strike starting a fire?

3.) It's too bad Doug's daughter died. I'm not making fun of that. When it comes to safety, I'll give children, the elderly and animals a break because they are often helpless, inexperienced, or lack poor judgment and sound reasoning. Adults who are in the prime of their lives and work full time howoever, who are over 18 and in good mental & physical health, must bear the responsibilty for their own health/safety.

I may like lots of guys I work with, but I'm not their babysitter. It is NOT my business to tell a guy he's doing something in an unsafe manner. That is his decision. I WILL NEVER intervene if I see unsafe behavior, because it isn't my place to tell a guy what to do. Now, if someone's behavior is causing an unsafe environment for others, that is a different matter. But, one guy, doing something stupid, that if it went wrong would only hurt himself? That is called Survival of the Fittest, and is a beautiful example of Mr. Darwin's theory at work. A dude dumb enough to hurt himself is helping us skim the muck off the bottom of the gene pool. Think about two words: Personal responsibility. People need to start accepting some and stop looking for others to protect them, or blame when things go wrong.

I DON'T have "The Courage to Intervene," I have, "The Courage to Mind My Own Business."

1.) It is all for show and looks great on a corporate report, or an article in FORTUNE, or a recruiting brochure, but it is all crap.
Corporations care about the bottom line. If by encouraging us to be safe, they reduce their cost on insurance, liability, injuries, cost of repairing or replacing equipment, bad press, whatever--then great. But I assure you, if guys dying/getting injured didn't have an impact on the profits or reputation of this company, I doubt anyone at GO could care less.

I firmly believe that in my department, my ultimate manager would gladly sacrifice a life (or lives) if it meant hitting his goal and obtaining his giant bonus. No one will EVER convince me different.

2.) I do not believe EVERY accident is preventable. Most? Sure. But not EVERY. Sometimes things just break. Sometimes, despite every precaution, accidents DO happen. Could you prevent a meteor from hitting your dock/tractor? A lightning strike starting a fire?

3.) It's too bad Doug's daughter died. I'm not making fun of that. When it comes to safety, I'll give children, the elderly and animals a break because they are often helpless, inexperienced, or lack poor judgment and sound reasoning. Adults who are in the prime of their lives and work full time howoever, who are over 18 and in good mental & physical health, must bear the responsibilty for their own health/safety.

I may like lots of guys I work with, but I'm not their babysitter. It is NOT my business to tell a guy he's doing something in an unsafe manner. That is his decision. I WILL NEVER intervene if I see unsafe behavior, because it isn't my place to tell a guy what to do. Now, if someone's behavior is causing an unsafe environment for others, that is a different matter. But, one guy, doing something stupid, that if it went wrong would only hurt himself? That is called Survival of the Fittest, and is a beautiful example of Mr. Darwin's theory at work. A dude dumb enough to hurt himself is helping us skim the muck off the bottom of the gene pool. Think about two words: Personal responsibility. People need to start accepting some and stop looking for others to protect them, or blame when things go wrong.

I DON'T have "The Courage to Intervene," I have, "The Courage to Mind My Own Business."

Probably one of the best posts on TB. You echo my sentiments exactly.

I agree this has to be the best post I have read in along time.

3.) It's too bad Doug's daughter died. I'm not making fun of that. When it comes to safety, I'll give children, the elderly and animals a break because they are often helpless, inexperienced, or lack poor judgment and sound reasoning. Adults who are in the prime of their lives and work full time howoever, who are over 18 and in good mental & physical health, must bear the responsibility for their own health/safety.

I absolutely disagree

it is behavior based. You can not turn the safety switch on and off. And it was the behavior of an adult, and that behavior being acceptable by other adults that caused an incredible tragedy.

a behavior that can cause an injury to one's self will sooner or later cause injuries to others.

interesting post from someone who minds their own business

and minding one's own business when it comes to safety requires something completely opposite of courage

and we followed up that video with today's "Shrink wrap and you" farce.....

I want to know why in the heck every other SIC is getting all these videos and "information" and we get squat! They haven't shown us a quarterly update in probably almost a year. While I don't believe the company propaganda, I'd still at least like to know that those in command don't want to keep us in the dark...

I believe in personal responsibility. That being said, I have a personal responsibility to get home safely to my family every night. If some idiot is riding around doing something stupid that could jeopardize me getting home, you're darn right I'm going to say something. Besides, I believe in the golden rule. If I was being ignorant and putting others at risk, I'd certainly hope someone would bring it to my attention. I care about all the guys I work with, even the ones I don't get along with, and don't want to see any of them get hurt, or hurt me. I can't make others be safe, but I sure can suggest loudly.

very well written! you make some good points but it is OUR business to intervene as you effect everyone around you, positive or negatively. let the dumb asses work for wilson or vitran etc. safety is no accident.

I absolutely disagree

it is behavior based. You can not turn the safety switch on and off. And it was the behavior of an adult, and that behavior being acceptable by other adults that caused an incredible tragedy.

a behavior that can cause an injury to one's self will sooner or later cause injuries to others.

interesting post from someone who minds their own business

and minding one's own business when it comes to safety requires something completely opposite of courage

I'm used to your kind of logic. I dare speak out against the "correct" thing to do with a different perspective, and you imply cowardice and try to chastise me because I don't fall in line and agree with the company logic. I may adhere to their rules, and sometimes I do not. I choose not to, it is at my own risk. I accept that. However, whether I agree philosophically or not, I can still think what I want.

I won't get into specifics, but I've worked at Con-Way longer than 5 years, but less than 15, and in all that time, in all kinds of weather, I've never missed one day of work for injury, or been involved in any sort of accident. Lucky? Perhaps, according to you. But I assure you many things I've done in the past are slowly being declared "unsafe."

A guy stretched a wire between the Twin Towers in 1974 and walked back and forth across it for a few hours. He did so without permission, and when he stepped off was arrested by NYC Port Authority Police.

My point? That probably wasn't safe, bouncing up and down on a 3/4" wire, 1300 feet over Manhattan, but the guy was a professional and knew what he was doing. Aren't we supposed to be professional?

I do respect the "golden rule." And if someone came up to me and told me something I had done 100+ times was now "unsafe", I'd tell them to get lost. And I'd give them the same respect. I'm not going to go over and tell a guy how to do his job when, presumably, he has already been trained how do to it. If he asks for help, I'm there. Otherwise, I'm going to let a guy make his own decisions---which is exactly how I expect to be treated.

Beware, big brother is now watching in the name of safety... I got a message on my handheld today telling me that I was driving too fast for conditions... I was doing 61 on a two lane road in the rain... Going downhill. Give me a break. I almost responded by saying if the gps was that good they probably would have no problems finding the truck.

I'm used to your kind of logic. I dare speak out against the "correct" thing to do with a different perspective, and you imply cowardice and try to chastise me because I don't fall in line and agree with the company logic. I may adhere to their rules, and sometimes I do not. I choose not to, it is at my own risk. I accept that. However, whether I agree philosophically or not, I can still think what I want.

I won't get into specifics, but I've worked at Con-Way longer than 5 years, but less than 15, and in all that time, in all kinds of weather, I've never missed one day of work for injury, or been involved in any sort of accident. Lucky? Perhaps, according to you. But I assure you many things I've done in the past are slowly being declared "unsafe."

A guy stretched a wire between the Twin Towers in 1974 and walked back and forth across it for a few hours. He did so without permission, and when he stepped off was arrested by NYC Port Authority Police.

My point? That probably wasn't safe, bouncing up and down on a 3/4" wire, 1300 feet over Manhattan, but the guy was a professional and knew what he was doing. Aren't we supposed to be professional?

I do respect the "golden rule." And if someone came up to me and told me something I had done 100+ times was now "unsafe", I'd tell them to get lost. And I'd give them the same respect. I'm not going to go over and tell a guy how to do his job when, presumably, he has already been trained how do to it. If he asks for help, I'm there. Otherwise, I'm going to let a guy make his own decisions---which is exactly how I expect to be treated.

Presumptions can be deadly.

If said person is unsafe in regards to their own person...then they are going to be unsafe around others.

Safety is a mindset. It not a switch to be turned off and on as situations dictate.

One has either determined to be a safe professional...or to be down and dirty...there is no middle ground. You are either as safe professional or you are not.

There seems to be two kinds of drivers...those who are truly interested in performing the job as outlined in the job description and those who "haven't a clue". The 'clueless' are the ones who get people killed or injured.

The 'clueless' need to go away...find another profession...this one has no room for shortcuts.

You are either a safety oriented professional or you are not.

If you are not..please do the rest of us a favor and move on...

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware, big brother is now watching in the name of safety... I got a message on my handheld today telling me that I was driving too fast for conditions... I was doing 61 on a two lane road in the rain... Going downhill. Give me a break. I almost responded by saying if the gps was that good they probably would have no problems finding the truck.

Did that really happen ? If it did, it is only the first step. Maybe soon they will rig it up so the handhelds drive the trucks.

Presumptions can be deadly.

If said person is unsafe in regards to their own person...then they are going to be unsafe around others.

Safety is a mindset. It not a switch to be turned off and on as situations dictate.

One has either determined to be a safe professional...or to be down and dirty...there is no middle ground. You are either as safe professional or you are not.

There seems to be two kinds of drivers...those who are truly interested in performing the job as outlined in the job description and those who "haven't a clue". The 'clueless' are the ones who get people killed or injured.

The 'clueless' need to go away...find another profession...this one has no room for shortcuts.

You are either a safety oriented professional or you are not.

If you are not..please do the rest of us a favor and move on...

Rat

Safety has to be the biggest priority. But am I bothered by a senario where we are so restricted and encumbered while the rest of the population on the roads drives willy nilly. Some of this technology should be used in passenger vehicles to clean up the nightmares with licenses. Anymore I don't notice a car go by with a phone in their hand. I notice the ones that don't.

And you were reading your messages while driving....too fast in the rain.

Did that really happen ? If it did, it is only the first step. Maybe soon they will rig it up so the handhelds drive the trucks.

Yeah, it did happen. Turns out it was our lead man. I didn't realize that checking up on people's trips is a part of his job, but he did it anyway. I talked to our terminal manager about it, he said he'd have a talk with him. Terminal manager seemed to be on my side that he had no business spying on me and trying to drive my truck from behind a computer screen, but I'm sure by the time I go in today somehow it'll end up being my fault because he "had the courage to intervene". I just wonder how far this crap is going to go. I believe in safety, but I believe as a whole we do a pretty good job at being safe. All this management intrusion is just going to **** folks off.

I want to know why in the heck every other SIC is getting all these videos and "information" and we get squat! They haven't shown us a quarterly update in probably almost a year. While I don't believe the company propaganda, I'd still at least like to know that those in command don't want to keep us in the dark...

Oh we finally got to watch the Q2 video and the shrink wrap... if we're so "lean" then why in the world are we wasting money in production costs to make a video telling that we're changing shrink wrap??? Couldn't that have been handled by a memo?