ODFL | What do you Love about working here? What do you Hate about working here?

It takes a special person.It's not everyone.No need to sugar coat it.But,I do tell young kid's that are looking into this career that if you want to see this country&want to make good money.Start with OD&stay out&run&save your money for 10 yrs&you can sit back&retire.Then settle down.Wish I had done that.lol

I had so much money saved up I was high on the hog, a single line driver it was great. Then I got married and kids...............now I am poor..........:shift:

I love works for OD but like anywhere else we all want things to be better in somethings.. .No one likes working 12 or 14 hours a day but in the end its a good pay check. I would love to have more time home like everyone else but hey its trucking...I do p and d and it works out better for me as far as home time. If you look at other LTL carriers I think OD is one of the best out here ...the equipment is great ,pay is good , benefits are great vacation time is great 401k is great..so what other LTL CARRIER can u say does all that for you. I wish we got paid over time and worked less hours other than that after 19 years here where else would treat me this well. I'm glad and proud to be with OLD DOMINION FREIGHT LINES ! I can't tell you how many times I have been ask ..are they hiring??????

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,came in this afternoon &step'd in the office&one of the linehaul manager's ask'd me if I had a second.1st thing I thought was what have I done now.lol.Well,he shook my hand&say's Thank You for alway's helping out on the weekend's moving freight.he gives me a copy of Interview report to my file.Showing that Upper Management want'd to thank me for moving the extra freight we have had on weekend's.WOW!!That's OD for you.Just the little thing's make such a difference.Just another reason why we are on top."Thank You" goes along way's.

Got a personal thank you note (Mailed to home) from a region VP last week for making stops/deliveries on expediated freight during line run in middle of night couple weeks ago. Heck I Got paid, so figured it's just part of the job now and then. We got power plants and other industries that get shut down if parts don't arrive, or get back on line. Did appreciate that someone noticed. Save these outfits bunch of hours downtime by doing this Use to be oilfield, remember the costs of downtime.

you get that warm,cozy feeling inside when someone does care.makes a big difference when people do care.We are more than a #
Got a personal thank you note (Mailed to home) from a region VP last week for making stops/deliveries on expediated freight during line run in middle of night couple weeks ago. Heck I Got paid, so figured it's just part of the job now and then. We got power plants and other industries that get shut down if parts don't arrive, or get back on line. Did appreciate that someone noticed.

One of the things I like most about working here is the flexibility of schedule. When I started I was afraid I wouldn't ever get time off on the weekend. My wife is a teacher, so if I'm not home sometime on the weekend I won't see her. I've been able to work my schedule around to where I usually get home on Friday. I take Saturday off, go to church and lunch on Sunday, and then hit the road Sunday afternoon.

Favortism in my terminal is running rampant.10 year driver late every day and sleeping in yard even though he's not on lunch. Transfers arent allowed and told your on your own.Some family a bunch of crap .constantly writing up equiptment never getting repairs made .Will provide pics this week of hole in trailer floor almost broke ankle in

Believe a little unknown call will do If you would like the contact email to voice your concern inbox me&will be glad to get that to you.You can email those pictures.That will help alot.Remember!!OD has a open door policy.If you don't get it solved at term level.Keep going up till it is taken care of
Favortism in my terminal is running rampant.10 year driver late every day and sleeping in yard even though he's not on lunch. Transfers arent allowed and told your on your own.Some family a bunch of crap .constantly writing up equiptment never getting repairs made .Will provide pics this week of hole in trailer floor almost broke ankle in

I'm considering a move to OD in Cincinnati. It sounds like they are reasonable about Saturdays off then? I've been considering Saia but there doesn't seem like much to choice with them.

One of the things I like most about working here is the flexibility of schedule. When I started I was afraid I wouldn't ever get time off on the weekend. My wife is a teacher, so if I'm not home sometime on the weekend I won't see her. I've been able to work my schedule around to where I usually get home on Friday. I take Saturday off, go to church and lunch on Sunday, and then hit the road Sunday afternoon.

So, OD is flexible in that regard?

Another reason I Love working here......my daughter in law made this statement "for the first time in our lives we didn't have to struggle to make our house payment, we just paid it" as a Father these words make me speechless

10649680_10204723167022951_4038568025473967073_n.jpg

Guess who he works for??
Michael and Michael Jr

A lot of good. Laid back attitude most of the time. Decent freight to handle. Benefits/pay as good as most. Bad.....Different terminals have different rules. We lose a lot of good young people when freight is slow because Sr. drivers run some of the terminals and starve the low men out. Start times are hard to predict. Top drivers can refuse to do things and nothing is said. Every decision comes from corporate regarding sales, rates, etc.(could be good or bad, depending on customer)
that is all determined by the T.M.

And if you and partner have experience they'll bring you in at the 1 year rate. You could send me a pm if you need exact team info