TForce | What is the point....

I used Overnite equipment to pick up our hay in my local area.
But that was a long time ago.
I wouldn't even dare to ask to use UPS Freight's rigs.[/QUOTE]

In the days before Union Pacific bought BigO it was nothing to take a truck home for the weekend to move furniture or help a neighbor move. I've never worked for a better company than when Cochran owned it. The railroad changed all that... with Cochran's blessing too. I think he regretted that sale, at least I hope so. :shrug:

He did regret the sale to the R.R.

He and all of his friends that helped him grow Overnite through the early years were shoved out the door when Union Pacific took over.

Mr.Cochran was so loyal to these friends he started a truck load trucking company in Richmond,and he brought all of those good friends that wanted to go with him.
I believe this company was called Highway,or Hiway.
I'm not sure of the spelling.

Its also my understanding that he sold that company just as Overnite was going public with their stock.
He than bought in and had a spot on the board of directors.

He's around 93 now I saw him in a picture with Leo last year when UPS bought out all Overnite's stock.

I met him once,he brought our terminal out to eat dinner,if I can recall it was 1987 when our terminal was thinking of signing cards to have a vote.

Back in the day when he looked at all of his employees as his family.

All of us UPS Freight workers know those days are long gone.

allstar05 said:
have you ever seen any ups driver not in uniform. road or city no and you won't it's a company rule .

I saw a sleeper team get out of the truck at the Santa Rosa,NM TA with sweat pants and tee shirt.The driver did have a UPS jacket on.
He pumped fuel while his partner went in for a shower.

This was before we got our uniforms, I asked him how strict UPS was with uni's..since they weren't in uniform...He said they make sure they are in uniform when they get to a terminal.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
I saw a sleeper team

someone explain this to me. i always drive past their yard and i see sleepers lined up in the employees parking lot. i take it that's where they wait to get their loads ? and what kind of loads are they hauling & are they union ? i see those guys pulling doubles alot.

UnionTrucka said:
I saw a sleeper team

someone explain this to me. i always drive past their yard and i see sleepers lined up in the employees parking lot. i take it that's where they wait to get their loads ? and what kind of loads are they hauling & are they union ? i see those guys pulling doubles alot.

Who are you asking about,and where?

UnionTrucka said:
Who are you asking about,and where?

im asking about the sleeper rigs pulling loads. i see them alot. big white sleepers with the UPS logo slapped on the doors. they're in
Maspeth everyday. as a matter of fact i saw their guy pulling doubles outta their yard. im assuming it's part of their logistic group they started a couple of years ago ?

UnionTrucka said:
im asking about the sleeper rigs pulling loads. i see them alot. big white sleepers with the UPS logo slapped on the doors. they're in
Maspeth everyday. as a matter of fact i saw their guy pulling doubles outta their yard. im assuming it's part of their logistic group they started a couple of years ago ?

UPS runs white Penske sleeper trucks.

I have seen a few UPSF sleeper teams in penske trucks since UPS bought us.
I think it depends on which is closer when ya break down...a penske location,or a terminal that has a spare truck...and ya always hope your closer to a penske location because the spare trucks at UPSF are usually old rag internationals.

the guys in the white sleepers are ups employees pulling ups freight on assigned runs. they started a sleeper operation a few years back....

They also could be the Truckload division.

The Truckload drivers I see come into my terminal for fuel, all have twin screw sleeper cabs.

ok but are they taking away a feeder man's job by employing these guys ? what kind of work are they exactly doing and are they unionized ?

UnionTrucka said:
ok but are they taking away a feeder man's job by employing these guys ? what kind of work are they exactly doing and are they unionized ?

I think he may be refering to UPSF special services division...formerly Overnite special services division...truck load and flat bed.

They get fuel at our(UPSF)terminals just like we do.

No,they are not unionized and they are not taking work from your union brothers so you can put your grievence card away....LOL

See,I hope like h*ll we don't go union...I'm not ready for all the b*llsh*t and politics of who can and should do what.

greezy trucker said:
Uh intentions is already gone....I work the dock in SLC every night.... But the dock workers there don't wear them....We will all be working the dock...Unless you run more than 600 miles...Straight out of the ENGINEERS mouth....
Ok, now I am confused, you have to give them delay time and work it?

UnionTrucka said:
uniontrucka, if you are refering to the guys that drive the white sleepers for UPS PACKAGE, yes they are union. they are ups employees that are running runs that are put up for bid. these runs were created a few years ago to try and improve the 2 and 3 day lanes. they have a few here in baltimore also. as an example i beleive one run would be to dallas to chicago to springfeild ma, to baltimore. teamster 251 i also beleives runs a sleeper for ups package out of rhode island. he may be able to shed some more light on this for you..

I think he may be refering to UPSF special services division...formerly Overnite special services division...truck load and flat bed.

They get fuel at our(UPSF)terminals just like we do.

No,they are not unionized and they are not taking work from your union brothers so you can put your grievence card away....LOL

See,I hope like h*ll we don't go union...I'm not ready for all the b*llsh*t and politics of who can and should do what.
Its a question of protecting you fellow workers right to work. How would you feel if your in a small barn, and 7 drivers come in early in the morning, and with no freight, their told to go peddle your local freight. Guess thats 7 of your p&D guys sitting home not getting paid.

The white tractors you guys are seeing are driven UPS employees. Our own Teamster 251 is one of those drivers and I'm sure he'll be alone shortly to explain all the detalis.

nightowl said:
the guys in the white sleepers are ups employees pulling ups freight on assigned runs. they started a sleeper operation a few years back....
Where is T251 when you need him....He would get you all straightened out on the issue.....

nightshadow said:
Ok, now I am confused, you have to give them delay time and work it?
Didnt make that clear I guess.....Didn't say they weren't paying me.....Just stating that we will all be working on the dock.....