FedEx Freight | What would YOU do to make FXF better?

I would call it a merger if both sides were equal.National was dwarfed by Freight and the product didnt sell like they thought.And we kept the Freight name.

All you and west driver are doing is proving that before the merge there were already stupid drivers at freight.
You boys need to get over this "we were better than national" attitude. It's dumb.

Phantom 309 said:
All you and west driver are doing is proving that before the merge there were already stupid drivers at freight.
You boys need to get over this "we were better than national" attitude. It's dumb.

Its all true,whats dumb about it? Didnt say anything about one being better then the other.

when you quote a post, press reply w quote and type BELOW everything that is already placed in the message or it will break the quote and look like ::shit::

Its all true,whats dumb about it? Didnt say anything about one being better then the other.

Good enough. My bad towards you, sorry. I mis-understood what I thought you implied.
It was west driver that was downing the former nat. hands, not you.
Anyways.... I'll shut-up now about it, 'cause that argument is WAY old and I don't wanna go down that road.

I would also address communication issues.I thought after the merger we might have had a video or something giving us an overview of how it went down. My SCM seems to be left in the dark about stuff.

This thread is about what you would do to make it better, not to argue about crap we have been arguing about for months now.
The first post was right on. Too much micromanaging, let more things be managed at the local level. SM's and OM's are afraid to make a decision about anything. They are not allowed to use any common sense. That includes the shop foreman.

Two thing's would make this a better company to work for, 1-All Management follow 1 set of rule's, not change them to suit their individual need's. 2- Communication between all parties be on time and communicated properly. These 2 change's alone would make FDX FRT a better place to work.

NOTE, I'm retired from FDX FRT but I still keep up on what's happening their.

Last edited by a moderator:
you bid a run 400 and less you work the dock
its all in black and white, this goes back to the employees
handbook , what, the rules are for some people , and not all ?
you put your time in , you bid something different
Here's where I get in trouble
we lowered our standards when we bought watkins and let them
dovetail in
we had hiring standards that went out the door
sorry but if they could have got a job at fedex they would have
And by the way , my run requires me to work the dock
hopefully when some people retire , quit , get fired I'll get a
non-dock bid

WD..... Do Not lump us Watkins Employees all into that category of we @ Fed Ex are better than Watkins Employees.......I personally can do anything you can as good or better than you and somethings that you can't do at all, so back off with the bashing will ya.

Bring back a linehaul that worked.
Let line drivers drive.
Bring back full time dockworkers.
Bring back set checks and lets fix our own equipment.
Get rid of Snapshot. It doesn't work and managers spend more time sharpening their pencils and cleaning the place up before a visit. Looks to me like every SC runs whatever way they run.
Have a proven outside vendor write the programs for our scanners. We have nothing but problems with them now.
Quarterly meetings with the big wigs so they can be reminded that there are actual people affected by their decisions and not just Corporate ID#'s. Where questions can be asked without fear of reprisal.
Bring back the Open Door policy.
Let dockworkers load the freight like it's supposed to be loaded. Pounds/Bill per hour are fine, but not to the point of severe damage to the freight.
Run us like a freight company, not a package company.
Get rid of the Mile Marker discs. They are laughably scripted and executed. Wouldn't need them if we had meetings.
Quit making the employees the problem, but the solution.
Listen to the employees.

Bring back a linehaul that worked.
Let line drivers drive.
Bring back full time dockworkers.
Bring back set checks and lets fix our own equipment.
Get rid of Snapshot. It doesn't work and managers spend more time sharpening their pencils and cleaning the place up before a visit. Looks to me like every SC runs whatever way they run.
Have a proven outside vendor write the programs for our scanners. We have nothing but problems with them now.
Quarterly meetings with the big wigs so they can be reminded that there are actual people affected by their decisions and not just Corporate ID#'s. Where questions can be asked without fear of reprisal.
Bring back the Open Door policy.
Let dockworkers load the freight like it's supposed to be loaded. Pounds/Bill per hour are fine, but not to the point of severe damage to the freight.
Run us like a freight company, not a package company.
Get rid of the Mile Marker discs. They are laughably scripted and executed. Wouldn't need them if we had meetings.
Quit making the employees the problem, but the solution.
Listen to the employees.

This is very close to my exact thoughts on the subject. All I think I could add would be the Personal Pride that we all feel from a job Well Done. I always felt this sense of accomplishment at AF because I felt we were on the same team not Redshirts and the workers. This is essential to a motivated workforce and I used to be motivated to go the extra mile and make sure the customer had a (Positive experience), a fancy term for taking care of your customers. Now with the lame and ineffective management at the local level (caused by the Top management) I just do what my wise-ass punk supervisor sees on his computer screen. The screen that he lives to clear and go home. The Personal interaction with customers and management has been eliminated and this does not lead to success, it leads to failure. So, before you give us your NEW Network please remember the workers and more importantly the customers are human and want to be treated as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the red shirts ***** about drivers that have never been a supervisor like some drivers ***** about redshirts with no driving/ dock experience. Im trying to have a better attitude myself,as long as I get paid I dont care how they run the place.I will say I have it pretty good,considering what I read on this board.

I wonder if the red shirts ***** about drivers that have never been a supervisor like some drivers ***** about redshirts with no driving/ dock experience. Im trying to have a better attitude myself,as long as I get paid I dont care how they run the place.I will say I have it pretty good,considering what I read on this board.

I personally Do Not Care what it is like to be a Redshirt. And they Do Not Care about What it is to be a Driver. So, we all just do our own little allotted section of work and make the best of it. But I have supervisor experience so I can recognize weakness when I see it. And the Redshirts at my barn are WEAK and for the most part WORTHLESS. they are incapable of LEADING just following screen prompts is their speed.

And if you don't care how they run the place you must not care about much because you can just settle into another average and frustrating day as a City driver who doesn't care how things are run as long as you collect your pay.

Like I said I have it good,very little frustration.Frankly its not my job to worry about how they run the place. If I was that concerned I would become a redshirt myself. I do agree they have some pretty weak ones. We have some dock to redshirt graduates that are nothing more then gophers for the more experienced older supervisors.

I would allow, no, make it policy that shops order non DOT items for stock and then take the truck out of service to install the parts.

I had some shirt tell me they would have to place the truck I had last night OOS in order for them to get a new fire extinguisher bracket for it because they don't stock them. How stupid is it to deadline a truck for a bracket?

Guardrail

Fedex freight and national were merged into a new company Fedex freight. I don't care how long someone has done what. That doesn't matter to me. Treat me fair and give me some miles every now and again I will be fine. I always do the best I can with what I've got. Bills per hour is a good thing to try for and to try to keep people going for but this is freight I'm dealing with , cut times , horrible loading , drivers late or whatever is out of my control. This is how I look at it
If I worried about what the other gets / got / or has I would go insane. I can only control my " little world " God bless if someone else has a "better" deal.
Bitching about national guys is little high school girl stuff. A lot of good guys / gals wear a Fedex shirt who cares how we got here. What matters is we are all here now.

I would allow, no, make it policy that shops order non DOT items for stock and then take the truck out of service to install the parts.

I had some shirt tell me they would have to place the truck I had last night OOS in order for them to get a new fire extinguisher bracket for it because they don't stock them. How stupid is it to deadline a truck for a bracket?

Guardrail

unfortunately we are carefully monitored to keep our inventory limitted to items we use within a 3 month window. I get a nasty-gram if I have dusty parts on the shelf. The fire extinguisher bracket is a good example because where I am we have at least 3 styles being used depending on what tractor you look at. And they don't break very often.

But,, unlike what others have been told, we can order that bracket (or extinguisher with bracket) from the local parts house and have it the same day (nobody tells us here that we can't order a needed part). Another good example for me is trailer lamps. There are so many differant ones being used now that we can't come close to stocking all of them. But we can get them.

Anybody that tells you the shop "can't get parts" is blowing smoke up your tailpipe. Being lazy and not wanting to make the call is what that's all about. But there are certain things (non-DOT compliant) that our shop will put off until the unit is in the shop for PM. It's more efficient to do all repairs at once rather than pulling a truck in and out every other day for small items that are more an annoyance than anything else.

Correct me if Im wrong gg11 but a unit has to be put in oos status for any repair doesnt it? It doesnt mean that you will have it in the shop for an extended period,its just a computer status,right?

Correct me if Im wrong gg11 but a unit has to be put in oos status for any repair doesnt it? It doesnt mean that you will have it in the shop for an extended period,its just a computer status,right?

Technically yes, it is supposed to be in SHOP status. BUT, if it's a shop location we will do quick repairs without doing so. It is more for operations to be able to "see" what isn't available.
If you are a non-shop location then it MUST be in SHOP status or the maintenance coordinators will not allow the vendor to make the repair.

If you are a non-shop location then it MUST be in SHOP status or the maintenance coordinators will not allow the vendor to make the repair.

Yea and I hear from guys at non-shop centers that this can be very frustrating to the vendor and driver. They tell me sometimes it takes forever to get the unit put in SHOP status so the work can be done. Some vendors go ahead and fix the flat or whatever, while waiting for that to happen. They're not supposed to do that, but hey... time is money to those guys.