ABF | When freight was KING!

I read Muler's post the first time, and even acknowledged that I agreed with most everything he said. That doesn't change my particular point at all. And I know I am the only one here with this opinion, but here goes...

Anyone who can show evidence, in every single case of a Teamster freight company dying, that 100% of the blame falls on management's shoulders for their decisions, has deceived you. If you are thinking that we Teamsters do not have any blame or fault whatsoever in the falling of all these companies, you have tunnel vision and will never accept the truth.

The truth is that they DID make many mistakes. Many of them HUGE. But EVERY company, union or not, makes mistakes big and small. And the best overcome their mistakes. This will be a hard pill for many of you to swallow, but for many, many years the Teamster trucking companies were forced to OVERPAY... yes I said it.. OVERPAY their employees because of the strike or the threat of a strike. The Teamsters for a long time were TOO POWERFUL and they didn't believe management that the company wasn't profiting. So they DIDN'T give back, they TOOK, and they took just a little too much.... it's everyone's fault - let's hope it doesn't happen again
Name one that went out of business because of the Teamster employees.

I read Muler's post the first time, and even acknowledged that I agreed with most everything he said. That doesn't change my particular point at all. And I know I am the only one here with this opinion, but here goes...

Anyone who can show evidence, in every single case of a Teamster freight company dying, that 100% of the blame falls on management's shoulders for their decisions, has deceived you. If you are thinking that we Teamsters do not have any blame or fault whatsoever in the falling of all these companies, you have tunnel vision and will never accept the truth.

The truth is that they DID make many mistakes. Many of them HUGE. But EVERY company, union or not, makes mistakes big and small. And the best overcome their mistakes. This will be a hard pill for many of you to swallow, but for many, many years the Teamster trucking companies were forced to OVERPAY... yes I said it.. OVERPAY their employees because of the strike or the threat of a strike. The Teamsters for a long time were TOO POWERFUL and they didn't believe management that the company wasn't profiting. So they DIDN'T give back, they TOOK, and they took just a little too much.... it's everyone's fault - let's hope it doesn't happen again

Digging in for quite an argument... I wont give you one. But I am guessing you are quite happy with your situation now, so why come on here and debate? agree, contradict, etc.. you seem to be almost arguing with yourself. I now fail to see what you agreed with Muler on? I guess be happy as you are and when it gets too good as you say we are paid too good, etc,, hop in a Werner truck when on your lot and perhaps you will feel fulfilled and well compensated for your time, etc then.

Remember be careful because abf is still around and they paid the full rate up until last year. So if abf made it then it has to be BAD MANAGEMENT that failed the others. Like bad loan decisions(not the Teamsters fault).

Bad change of operations(not the Teamsters fault)

Over spent(not the Teamsters fault).

I have been around for a long time just ask and I will try to educate you on the history of trucking . I can save you the time of reading it I HAVE LIVED IT!

YOUR HISTORY TEACHING BROTHER ALWAYS!

I will give you one that management completely drove into closure. CF that's right they (Larry Scott) and the rest of the FAILED LEADERSHIP took a thriving very profitable trucking giant and bought a air freight company that had out dated aircraft that completely drained the coffers and before they completely destroyed it they started a non union division called ccx and spun them off debt free while they crashed and burned a once strong and proud union trucking giant! consider this your first trucking history assignment. YOUR WAITING FOR THE SCHOOL BELL TO RING BROTHER ALWAYS!

I must go for the evening but I promise if the company ever tries and cut the pay of the management @ss kissers I will say something. YOUR EQUAL TREATMENT BROTHER ALWAYS!

Just joking kid. I want to try and win you over like it appears your management team as won you over. By the way what great terminal do you work at?

it's just that, when you keep saying, over and over, "a fair days pay for a fair days work"...... it just makes me wonder why you keep saying it. We Have It. Let's keep it that way.

Name one that went out of business because of the Teamster employees.

You can only see one side. The truth is in front of you, but you are blind to see it. Tell me, please, IN EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE, every one, how the teamsters were completely blameless. You only see one side, so you will never understand that we ALL share the blame for most of these companies drowning. We Teamsters and management alike.

I would turn that card in and go to a non un ion firm, its so against your principals.. but yet you enjoy the fruits of your fore-Teamsters!!

I don't think the Teamsters are totally blameless.As for the rank and file.We just work and pay our dues.The administration part such as the pension fund and other money payoffs.If the administration feels that a company that is party to the bargaining unit doesn't pay what is contractual.They can and will and have pulled the plug.Otherwords us members would be out of a job regardless.The union is a business.This entity does not care one iota about you me and the rest of us.If they don't get their money to feed the Union machine.Its lights out.Or if they gain ownership in the employer of which you are employed.Then and only then will we still have a job.With less representation.We know this at YRCW

When I have time, I'll start another post, and explain a bit more about OUR part in the suffocation of the Teamster companies. For now I bid you all adieu .... Now, let the hate begin...... maybe I'll read it later

You can only see one side. The truth is in front of you, but you are blind to see it. Tell me, please, IN EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE, every one, how the teamsters were completely blameless. You only see one side, so you will never understand that we ALL share the blame for most of these companies drowning. We Teamsters and management alike.

I honestly can't see how you can blame the Teamsters for the demise of the unionized LTL trucking industry. Bare with me since I can only speak first hand for the northeastern region of the US. Before deregulation in 1980 just about all LTL carriers in the NE & Mid Atlantic regions had some type of union contract. Non union companies like Overnite and smaller regional carriers like the now powerful and highly profitable Old Dominion would never dare to move northward for fear of being organized. Every company had there profitable lanes and all was well for the properly managed union and non union companies..... I remember my boss saying that he didn't care how much he had to pay us as long as his competitors had to pay their employees the same.

Sure some went bankrupt but it was definitely due to mismanagement. Those companies were given relief from their contacts by the union and ESOPs but it never seemed to be enough. Corporate greed and gross mismanagement were the cause of their demise. After the deregulation act of 1980 it was common knowledge on the street that there would only be 3 or 4 major carriers that would survive. Then came the buying spree. TNT dumps Pilot and buys 5 profitable regional carriers, Holland, Reddaway Bestway Red Star, and Dugan. CF guts Consolidated Freightways and creates Conway. the profitable Maislin buys longhaul Gateway and then goes belly up. Roadway Services spun off it profitable debt free Roadway express who was later gobbled up, along with New Penn and USF ( formerly TNT), by the greedy Zollar's Yellow corp

Meanwhile the nonunion companies like FedEx, Conway, Estes, Old Dominion, and R&l ventured north and east into the weakened union strongholds with their substandard wages and work rules. If the Teamsters are guilty of anything it would be IMO that they saw the writing on the wall and didn't try to keep us competitive with the growing non union companies. Hoffa considered us as expendable dinosaurs and threw the remaining NMFA carriers under the bus. That's why Hoffa gave UPSF/Overnite a stand alone contract tailored to it's needs to remain competitive and highly profitable. But at the same time YRC, by it's own greed and mismanagement, was willing to sign any contract that was presented to them. And the IBT forced ABF into accepting it.

The fact that Teamster companies no longer set the standard in the LTL industry is a product of deregulation corporate greed, mismanagement and the Hoffa administration's not doing its job of educating the NMFATeamsters on the realities of our changing industry

Don't feel bad disgruntled.It will be after the MOU 2014 for YRCW to have to make any pension payment into our pensions.MOU expires in 2019.This is after the MOU expires in early 2019.That was something us rank and file at YRCFreight didn't know about while we were in the midst of voting the second time.

I honestly can't see how you can blame the Teamsters for the demise of the unionized LTL trucking industry. Bare with me since I can only speak first hand for the northeastern region of the US. Before deregulation in 1980 just about all LTL carriers in the NE & Mid Atlantic regions had some type of union contract. Non union companies like Overnite and smaller regional carriers like the now powerful and highly profitable Old Dominion would never dare to move northward for fear of being organized. Every company had there profitable lanes and all was well for the properly managed union and non union companies..... I remember my boss saying that he didn't care how much he had to pay us as long as his competitors had to pay their employees the same.

Sure some went bankrupt but it was definitely due to mismanagement. Those companies were given relief from their contacts by the union and ESOPs but it never seemed to be enough. Corporate greed and gross mismanagement were the cause of their demise. After the deregulation act of 1980 it was common knowledge on the street that there would only be 3 or 4 major carriers that would survive. Then came the buying spree. TNT dumps Pilot and buys 5 profitable regional carriers, Holland, Reddaway Bestway Red Star, and Dugan. CF guts Consolidated Freightways and creates Conway. the profitable Maislin buys longhaul Gateway and then goes belly up. Roadway Services spun off it profitable debt free Roadway express who was later gobbled up, along with New Penn and USF ( formerly TNT), by the greedy Zollar's Yellow corp

Meanwhile the nonunion companies like FedEx, Conway, Estes, Old Dominion, and R&l ventured north and east into the weakened union strongholds with their substandard wages and work rules. If the Teamsters are guilty of anything it would be IMO that they saw the writing on the wall and didn't try to keep us competitive with the growing non union companies. Hoffa considered us as expendable dinosaurs and threw the remaining NMFA carriers under the bus. That's why Hoffa gave UPSF/Overnite a stand alone contract tailored to it's needs to remain competitive and highly profitable. But at the same time YRC, by it's own greed and mismanagement, was willing to sign any contract that was presented to them. And the IBT forced ABF into accepting it.

The fact that Teamster companies no longer set the standard in the LTL industry is a product of deregulation corporate greed, mismanagement and the Hoffa administration's not doing its job of educating the NMFATeamsters on the realities of our changing industry

We are beating a dead horse. All I would say is Lets go back to General President Fitzsimmons, for believing that the Congress would never pass Deregulation. I can recall reading small blurbs about it in the Teamster Magazine from time to time in the mid to late 70's. We (me included)
were in denial. I used to ask my Agent , will this ever happen,....nah kid, don't worry. YRCW and the Teamsters (us) need to look forward, and learn from OUR mistakes. I'm confident that WE can do it! :shift:

Two big events contributed to the loss of Teamster jobs & organized companies going belly up. 1.Deregulation 2. The 94 strike

I miss seeing your posts here Muler. This was another excellent post. The only thing I think may be hard for you and most others who frequently post here to believe, is that we are still the BEST compensated employees (pay + benefits) of any freight company in the USA. I strongly agree with most everything you said, just want you to remember that fact. To me, anyone who thinks that we are undercompensated for what we do and for our skillset (even after giving some back), is thinking like a fool.

We are not the best compensated that would now be UPS Freight. It is a good thing that the Teamsters of the pass did not think like this because sir we would not have the pay and benefits we enjoy today. Any Teamster that sell himself short I think is a fool. It seems that a lot of driver think that we are undercompensated because ABF is having trouble hiring. A driver with freight experience and a class A cdl, air brakes, tanker, hazmat, triples and doubles you just can't find anywhere. ABF is finding out that fact as we speak. Even dock workers with freight experience are hard to find now just ask ABF. So if you want to sell yourself short with the skillset you have go right a head. I think a CEO making 22 times that of what her lowest paid employee is making is over paid.

JUDY R. MCREYNOLDS, age 51 has a total compensation of $1,543,542 for 2013.

Judy McReynolds - Forbes

The strike of 94 was necessary. And when an employee of abf says that was a reason for the down fall that is saying something, Because all you have to do is check and see who headed the TMI in the 1994 contract talks. The same guy who kept CAROLINA running and who's company bought soon after the contract was settled. We don't have to throw stones at abf here we can reach out and touch the parties responsible. YOUR CALLING THEM AS I SEE THEM BROTHER ALWAYS!

The strike of 94 was necessary. And when an employee of abf says that was a reason for the down fall that is saying something, Because all you have to do is check and see who headed the TMI in the 1994 contract talks. The same guy who kept CAROLINA running and who's company bought soon after the contract was settled. We don't have to throw stones at abf here we can reach out and touch the parties responsible. YOUR CALLING THEM AS I SEE THEM BROTHER ALWAYS! And for those who think our past CEO Bob Davidson is the same one that was appointed to the yrcw board,

The Teamsters National Freight Industry Negotiating Committee has nominated William R. “Bob” Davidson to serve on YRC Worldwide’s Board of Directors to fill a seat that was vacated earlier this year.

Arkansas Best Corporation CEO Robert A. Davidson to Retire

KNOW THE FACTS! TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!